• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Rediscussion #2! Ice Climbers

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i like to just keep them seperated and combo video. **** ice climbers. if they're ****ers and use the ice breathe, counter them and be like boobam motha ****a, then after they get accostumed be like "BAITSIES" then they'll get hit for sure

fun fact: when ice climbers are upB'ing to grab the edge, if you time it right, you can run off and fair, killing one of them (during the upb rope animation)

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Air dodging in and Up-bing is the Roy_R, don't credit me for that lol

I just copy Roy ****z ;D

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
It's not one of Marth's "easier" match ups, considering other 60:40s that are around.

It's important that stage striking is used effectively. Final Destination and Smashville (one more so than the other) are our natural enemies.

We should be able to win on our counterpicks: Norfair, Rainbow Cruise; and Battlefield and Lylat aren't bad either.

In game we have Dolphin Slash (if theres a platform...) to avoid anything 'dangerous'. It's one of the [high tier] match ups thats we still have to zone with dtilt.
Fairs to split them up; counter for blizzard and squall hammer.

I don't "get" this match up at all really, people who main them in my area either suck or gave up once I got over their initial hurdles/predictable crap. I don't understand how the character ticks, like let's say MK or Wario... I guess they're just that dynamic.. whilst being that dangerous.

Neutral match up is feasible.
Whilst on character traits only we have the advantage... 'mentally' our marth mains struggle with this match up, theres no autopilot here, Marth can't float or air camp, or have a never ending multi hit move to fall back on. It takes real EXPERIENCE in this match up to win it.
this match up is very stage dependant
We're going to win on our counterpick, but we're in for trouble on Smashville.... or if we're stupid to not ban Final Destination (without changing characters...)

I'd prefer the Ice Climbers to get in on this; most Marths all over are pretty split. Including myself.
Neo hates this match up
Kadaj hates this match up
Pierce thinks it's fine
I hate it, because it's STUPID.
Meep and Lain, the two real IC placers have had little to no signifance in West Coast America (I think?) - i.e. Mike, Bardull, etc; and I'm not sure if Hylian even plays ICs anymore to impact Texan marfs.

RAGE MATCH UP.
This is one of those match-ups which really won't solidify for another year. IC are only recently becoming popular, and only a few people have mastered them. There is no IC in my region yet (Atomsk is picking them up, but the IC main that lives near me goes to college so I'm just finally going to get to play him for the first time in months in a few days)

lain's strategy is entirely based off of winning game 1.
DON'T LET THEM WIN GAME 1. HOLY CHRIST.
Easier said than done, but agreed largely.

another reason why i think legalizing yoshi's and lylat for neutrals again would be good (it also lowers mk's power level on game 1)

the most important thing bardull taught me was, after the first f-air you have to be relentless, split them up, n-air, f-smash, f-air strings, d-tilt off the edge, just keep attacking, go for the f-air gimp on nana then you can drop down and up b stage spike when you know popo will try to save guaranteeing the kill

the easy way to do this is after you send nana far off stage and popo is on stage, is to grab the ledge and keep doing the mikehaze stall (let go immediate forward air horizontal up b regrab the ledge) over and over... but never do the up b that in the off chance they do grab the ledge you get gimped
Also, if you hit one IC out of sideB, the other goes into freefall. This is a tricky move though, so I counter it a lot. Counter is PIVOTAL in this match-up.

Well I have experience with this match-up thanks to my friend Phresh. You definitely want to one and pressure, but do NOT whiff and aerial, as they can catch you in the landing lag, and Popo can hold you long enough for Nana to catch up from ridiculous distances. Dtilt and Fair, defintiely platform camp. A de-sync, approaching blizzard is a pain, but practice with counter should get it.

I HATE this match-up more then anything in Brawl lol.
Dtilt jab is also good, because a lot of people will drop their shield after a dtilt, so the jab will be quick to catch them off guard. It will never be perfect shielded, and it's fast and unpredictable, therefore extremely difficult to punish with a grab, especially because if you think you see a dash in, you can throw the second jab.

Well, if a Smart IC plays a smart Marth ...

and if they both use the same amount of common sense....

And both posses the same match up exp...

Marth is gonna win most of the time.
Actually, no. As I've said before, IC, like Diddy, is a rare match-up which is in Marth's favor, but forces Marth to play a different game. Usually, most characters have to beat Marth at his own game. However, in this case, due to the sheer overwhelming power of the grab, Marth must adjust to fight IC, while they play their normal, standard game. Yes, they need to know how to fight Marth specifically, but like Diddy, Marth needs more match-up experience vs. IC to stand a chance against a competent one. I'm TERRIFIED of fighting Meep or Lain right now, because despite me believing I have the advantage, my exp in the match-up is lax, and there really is no way to remedy this until I can get a chance to play with my friend who is home for the summer. This gives me minimal time before Genesis. But I digress. My point is that Marth has to play this getting in and out game, instead of his usual pressure and **** game. IC just do their regular shiz. The Marth player has advantage, but needs to know the match-up at an extreme competent level.

Me and pierce think it's 55 45.
QFT. If IC play to their strengths, which is rather solid priority in all directions, and learn to take advantage of the fact that Marth is weak from below, and learn what to do vs. platform camping, it really gives them another edge, just not enough to compete with Marth's sword. You ESPECIALLY can't challange with Dair in this match-up. It's so funny how pivotal Counter is, in a match where a grab is death. Using this in the air to block Uairs and other shenanigans is super important from what I can see.

i like to just keep them seperated and combo video. **** ice climbers. if they're ****ers and use the ice breathe, counter them and be like boobam motha ****a, then after they get accostumed be like "BAITSIES" then they'll get hit for sure

fun fact: when ice climbers are upB'ing to grab the edge, if you time it right, you can run off and fair, killing one of them (during the upb rope animation)
Fun fact: If you have the timing of a god, you can edgehog right after Belay is initiated, and IC will both launch themselves towards the targeted edge as intended, but as you are already hogging it, they will fall to their deaths.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Fun fact: If you have the timing of a god, you can edgehog right after Belay is initiated, and IC will both launch themselves towards the targeted edge as intended, but as you are already hogging it, they will fall to their deaths.
That wasn't that fun pierce.. :( Thought you were going to tell us some cool glitch or something, not some practical advice.. whats wrong with you.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
IC's obviously can kill you with a single grab, but their grab range is awful. If there's any type of platform to abuse, it's pretty hard for them to get a grab in. Spaced Fairs and Dtilts can keep them away pretty easily. Counter when needed. 55:45 seems pretty accurate.

∫unk

Smash Master
do you notice that people who actually don't know the matchup just say the same thing as everyone else, and post anyway? occasionally they'll throw 1 new thing but it usually turns out to be wrong

Kind of a waste :/

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Eh I'm leaning towards even or 55:45 Marth.

With proper desynching, it's honestly not that hard for the ICs to get a grab. Yes blizzard can be countered, but thats not that great an idea for Marth. Nana can blizzard and Popo can dash > shield grab. If marth counters, he gets shield grabbed. If he doesn't, he eats a blizzard and a grab.

That being said, Marth can simply create a single opening and then kill Nana. No, it's not easier said than done. Once you separate them, killing Nana is childs play. At the very least, Nana's damage should be much higher than Popo's and separating them again will be much easier. Fair, dtilt, and nair are all mad useful here for Marth.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I... would post but I'm afraid i have nothing to add. 55:45 imo too... but i dont play too many IC, Lain always plays his dedede against me for some reason.

Teh Future

Smash Master
just fyi ice climbers cant recover against marth. If we're off stage just fair us until we are dead and there's nothing we can do.

ICs use sideB: fair

ICs use upB: fair

Once you hit them anywhere just go crazy lol.

∫unk

Smash Master
Wanted to re-quote the above because of the lot of people saying D-tilt.. >_>;

I take it d-tilt is a good option after all?
Look at who is saying d-tilt is a good option. Have any of them had any tournament ice climbers experience? Also notice out of the tournament veterans who aren't focusing on d-tilt... I think it's all of them (didn't bother to read through their posts again just going off memory)

I've played Fly Amanita and 2 other legitimate icys... and have watched Bardull and Mike fight Fly multiple times.

I just figure I don't have huge experience in this matchup but it's probably better than some of these posters. In addition, I value someone like MikeHAZE's opinion over BanjoKazooiePro's :/

d-tilt is okay but the problem is you're on the ground... just more opportunity to get grabbed if you mess up... that's how socal marths play it but who knows in general we use less d-tilt anyway

Edit: in general for future matchup discussions you need to focus on people who have proven to have experience. a lot of people post from just what they see in a neo vs icy video for the matchup, or just whatever they think the matchup goes.

there's at most 15 posters on marth boards that actually have consistent tournament experience and know what they're talking about, and even then information can be wrong if the region is weak (example: shaya) or your particular playstyle counters certain matchups but loses to others (example: bardull).

also, you'll notice people will just say "space f-air and d-tilt" in every matchup discussion... i remember someone recently did that for the wario thread. d-tilt vs wario? for the .1 second he's on the ground i guess.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Like, I wanna say dtilt is amazing here. Because if used right it is, but the problem is that if you make one mistake with it, you're boned. I'm not sure it's worth the risk. If you knew you weren't going to make any mistakes with it it'd be pretty amazing though :o

meepxzero

Smash Master
This match up is even if both know what to do. Marth has to run away and play PERFECT in spacing and aerialing. Almost anything done on the ground is risky DB or dtilt. It just requires one PS which good ic are known to do well at. He also has to make sure not to use up his double jump as good ic will pick you apart predicting when u land.

I know how marth works so i feel pretty bad for any marth that ever plays me (use to be a marth main). Its an even match if marth plays perfect, but im judging off of playing with neo (where his **** is near perfect). Our games are so intense that tripping has a GREAT effect of the outcome of our matches (he trips free grab for me or al trip in my cg.)

Its probably 60:40 or 55:45 ice climbers. If the ice climbers knows what to do your gonna have to work really hard to beat them.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
I remember playing Meep in tourny Game 3 he had 156% I had 0% both at one stock I tripped and he grabbed me before I had a chance to rlol away and he 0-death me lol

Worst way to lose ever, and after playing the match-up more yesterday I feel it's about even, they both can wreck each other pretty hard if they have the momentum in their favor. It's just that Marth has a little more opportunity to rack up damage.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Me and pierce think it's 55 45.

And yes, Gheb has been going on a tirade against Marth since he joined SWF. According to him he should probably be mid tier. I don't mind him having a different view point, I'd just rather him bring up better points that can actually support the ratios he gives : /
Stop writing such nonsense. I always said that I consider Marth an A-tier character, from day 1. I never did a tirade against Marth himself ... only against the hyporisy of the likes of you how write BS like "if it wasn't for MK Marth would be top" and "MK is all that holds Marth back". And there are too many ppl like you.

Oh god, I'm realistic and don't think that Marth ***** everything! That's so degrading...

Get off your high horse already.

Gheb practically said

"Marth can get grabbed and lose"

But wait...!
Wow, such ignorance. I clearly said that ICs outcamp Marth. Of course this is an obvious fact and of course you have to ignore it, since Marth beats everything anyways.

This match up is even if both know what to do. Marth has to run away and play PERFECT in spacing and aerialing. Almost anything done on the ground is risky DB or dtilt. It just requires one PS which good ic are known to do well at. He also has to make sure not to use up his double jump as good ic will pick you apart predicting when u land.

I know how marth works so i feel pretty bad for any marth that ever plays me (use to be a marth main). Its an even match if marth plays perfect, but im judging off of playing with neo (where his **** is near perfect). Our games are so intense that tripping has a GREAT effect of the outcome of our matches (he trips free grab for me or al trip in my cg.)

Its probably 60:40 or 55:45 ice climbers. If the ice climbers knows what to do your gonna have to work really hard to beat them.
Oh god! A top IC player thinks the ICs win! He's degrading Marth! KILL HIM!!!!!

:059:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I for one, respect your opinion Gheb. You've never come off to me as someone who automatically writes Marth off.

The more I play this matchup the more I want to lean towards even. With proper desynching it's really freakin hard not getting grabbed. No matter how you react to the first blizzard, if it makes contact with any part of your hurtbox (regardless of whether or not you shield, counter, etc.) you can get grabbed.

Also, some ICs are really good at saving Nana once they are separated. I'm not sure about this one anymore.

I want to say 50:50 at this point.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Not necessarily, as if they get under you it's Uair ****, and grab **** for landing lag if god forbid no plats. Besides you'll be missing out on Dtilt.
I meant space with f-air. Obviously, but it can be your best friend. Their grab range is crap, and the range of your f-air is more than enough to keep you away long enough to breathe.

But you do have a point. Them knocking you up changes quite a lot.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Look at who is saying d-tilt is a good option. Have any of them had any tournament ice climbers experience? Also notice out of the tournament veterans who aren't focusing on d-tilt... I think it's all of them (didn't bother to read through their posts again just going off memory)

I've played Fly Amanita and 2 other legitimate icys... and have watched Bardull and Mike fight Fly multiple times.

I just figure I don't have huge experience in this matchup but it's probably better than some of these posters. In addition, I value someone like MikeHAZE's opinion over BanjoKazooiePro's :/

d-tilt is okay but the problem is you're on the ground... just more opportunity to get grabbed if you mess up... that's how socal marths play it but who knows in general we use less d-tilt anyway

Edit: in general for future matchup discussions you need to focus on people who have proven to have experience. a lot of people post from just what they see in a neo vs icy video for the matchup, or just whatever they think the matchup goes.

there's at most 15 posters on marth boards that actually have consistent tournament experience and know what they're talking about, and even then information can be wrong if the region is weak (example: shaya) or your particular playstyle counters certain matchups but loses to others (example: bardull).

also, you'll notice people will just say "space f-air and d-tilt" in every matchup discussion... i remember someone recently did that for the wario thread. d-tilt vs wario? for the .1 second he's on the ground i guess.
Not using dtilt vs wario? lol? Do you even know how to combo off of air dodges or----?

Socal marths don't = marth absolute, and far as I'm concerned no marth has mastered dtilt yet, i'm still practicing perfecting it myself

taking into consideration you can't apply dtilt the exact same way in every match up, there are actually few characters where it's just "not good" vs them, very few

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Wow, such ignorance. I clearly said that ICs outcamp Marth. Of course this is an obvious fact and of course you have to ignore it, since Marth beats everything anyways.
Your Scarecrow Argument said:
Why does Marth has a 6/4 advantage against the Ice Climbers? He can technically avoid the grab (so can almost every character) but not getting grabbed even once time is highly unrealistic, even for Marth. In fact I'd say that it's more realistic for the ICs to get their 3 grabs. However, this isn't even the reason why I think the ICs win this match-up.

Marth takes way too much damage while trying to avoid getting grabbed. All he has is Fair and Nair - ICs can beat the dtilt by doing an aerial desynched Blizzard over it. So you basically have to stick out your sword constantly and at the same time you have to avoid getting hit by those ice blocks.
How do you wanna play your zoning game then? You have to avoid ice blocks, blizzard (which easily outpriorizes Marths moves) and grabs all at the same time but you're also always forced to approach. If you camp on the stage you have to avoid the Ice Blocks. If you camp on a platform or in the air their uair ***** you - uair deals 22% (more than Snake ftilt). Granted, Marth doesn't usually camp on platforms or in the air but where the hell do you camp then? Marth has no projectile, ICs have one...so while you try to not get grabbed and seperate them (which Marth isn't good at - his grabs and "safe" moves have very little knockback) they can hit you with Ice Blocks and Blizzard - that's a crapload of damage right there and there's little you can do against it.
Why does Marth has a 6/4 advantage against the Ice Climbers? He can technically avoid the grab (so can almost every character) but not getting grabbed even once time is highly unrealistic, even for Marth. In fact I'd say that it's more realistic for the ICs to get their 3 grabs. However, this isn't even the reason why I think the ICs win this match-up.
Here you basically said Marth can get grabbed 3 times and lose. As we all know Marth has one of the best ranges in the game, so praytell WHY would it be easier for him to get grabbed with IC's ****ty grab range?

Marth takes way too much damage while trying to avoid getting grabbed. All he has is Fair and Nair - ICs can beat the dtilt by doing an aerial desynched Blizzard over it. So you basically have to stick out your sword constantly and at the same time you have to avoid getting hit by those ice blocks.
Why would Marth ever approach with dtilt in this matchup? And of course, as an expert debater, I'm sure you're aware that Marth's fair and naior destroy ice blocks, and that we have ways of getting around Blizzard? And also that it isn't UNNATURAL that we have to *gasp* resort to our fair and nair to rack up damage!

How do you wanna play your zoning game then? You have to avoid ice blocks, blizzard (which easily outpriorizes Marths moves) and grabs all at the same time but you're also always forced to approach. If you camp on the stage you have to avoid the Ice Blocks. If you camp on a platform or in the air their uair ***** you - uair deals 22% (more than Snake ftilt). Granted, Marth doesn't usually camp on platforms or in the air but where the hell do you camp then? Marth has no projectile, ICs have one...so while you try to not get grabbed and seperate them (which Marth isn't good at - his grabs and "safe" moves have very little knockback) they can hit you with Ice Blocks and Blizzard - that's a crapload of damage right there and there's little you can do against it
First of all, stop making like Ice Blocks matter. Second, if Marth of ALL PEOPLE simply cannot get around Blizzard, then why aren't ICs best in the game? Clearly they would **** everyone. Uair is indeed really good,. That is the only part of your argument which is valid, however. I wouldn't advise staying on platforms too long.

Also, you fail to realize that beyond grabbing, ICs will probably have a tough time killing Marth. most of their kill moves will be seen coming and if they fiend for a usmash of fsmash, they'll probably get punished. So even if Marth is taking ALLLL this damage that you speak of, they'll be hard bent to get the kill move.

I don't really know who wins this matchup, but when you post an opinion which goes against common belief, post something that makes sense. I can't stand it when people try to 'God Mod' in debates.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord

Powershielding with both popo AND nana? Isnt that almost impossible? I mean sure, im not that great with ICs and probably this post will be ignored to some degree anyway. Maybe im doing it wrong but 70% of the time i PS something with Popo then nana still gets hit forcing me to delay the cg.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Learn to break out of grabs people.

From what i can gather...

One ICs shields... the other IC with it's delay perfect shields... well.. you just got GRABBED. unless you are spaced well...
First IC perfect shields, the second one gets hit; most likely it wil e with a fair... a move you'll be using a lot and won't send the character far (ICs camp is hard... they aim to conserve health as much or just as much as they try to get the grab), so the first one grabs you, starts spamming pummels... the other one hopefully catches up. most times you'll be released... on the ground you are in trouble at THAT close a range... in the air you're at a bad position for uairs.

if you cant break out of grabs like reflex you shouldn't post about this match up. ;p (maybe close to reflex will suffice?)

i wouldnt be shocked to see an ics advantage... an even or better yet a marth advantage. pierce said it nicely... time will tell.

∫unk

Smash Master
Not using dtilt vs wario? lol? Do you even know how to combo off of air dodges or----?

Socal marths don't = marth absolute, and far as I'm concerned no marth has mastered dtilt yet, i'm still practicing perfecting it myself

taking into consideration you can't apply dtilt the exact same way in every match up, there are actually few characters where it's just "not good" vs them, very few
i dont even play marth anymore... i suck :x

but thats why i said socal marths not marths in general i think socal marths are bad a lot of things... like combos and chain grabs

and i think vs wario its bad but i see specific uses for it sure... i was just saying the common sense "he's in the air more so d-tilt won't be as good".

honestly though you know 1000x more than me so i'll just take your word for it

ur posting style is dumb

meepxzero

Smash Master
ive power shielded with both numerous times. The frame to powershield is kinda a lot bigger than people take it for. Struggling doesnt help if you buffer your cg with ic, but me thinks only me and lain do that tho. So it could be a good thing if that isnt known.

Or mayb im just that good lmao.

legion598

Smash Ace
this is actually a pretty tough match for me it takes a while to get used to because u have to refrain from doing anything punishable I would suggest using retreated Fair and Dtilt as ur basic strategy, if they shield ur DB ur a goner D: but if u space perfectly and dont even try anything silly its pretty even. the only thing that out ranges u is blizzard so desynch blizzard is probly the most dangerous thing they have and it can lead to grabs and up airs so its best to use an out of shield for that. any way id say 50/50 although the marth gets punished harder for making a mistake then the ice climbers so I could also see this as a 55/45 ICs favor

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Shaya:
what would you be doing to keep the Marth close after one of the ICs gets hit away and you got the grab with another?
That's what I was saying meep.

V

Smash Ace
I've read this entire thread and basically gathered that Dtilt, Jab, Fair, Nair, and Counter are your best friends in this match. But what are the best kill moves against IC besides gimps?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Why would counter be a reliable move in the ics matchup when it is a risky move that the ics can bait to get a grab?.

V

Smash Ace
Still nobody has talked about killing moves against IC besides gimping.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Because the ics match up isn't exactly about killing, it's about separating (And avoiding the grab... duh).

kill with whatever the hell you want, when they're separated/ones dead it's almost more **** than Marth against Lucas.

Top Bottom