• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Rediscussion #2! Ice Climbers

V

Smash Ace
Because the ics match up isn't exactly about killing, it's about separating (And avoiding the grab... duh).

kill with whatever the hell you want, when they're separated/ones dead it's almost more **** than Marth against Lucas.
I think we can all gather that not getting grabbed is imperative in this match.

What's the Marth vs Lucas ratio 70/30?

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
I hate Lain

Yea its something like that, we have gay grab stuff against lucas and he cant pressure our shield with his Nair like he can to others cause we just DS out of it FTW.

Icys matchup tests your spacing like nothing else.
If they powershield your Fair can they grab you?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I hate Lain

Yea its something like that, we have gay grab stuff against lucas and he cant pressure our shield with his Nair like he can to others cause we just DS out of it FTW.

Icys matchup tests your spacing like nothing else.
If they powershield your Fair can they grab you?
I'm pretty sure that if you spaced it right they can't.

legion598

Smash Ace
if u space the Fair perfectly and be sure to cover urself after the Fair with something like Dtilt or jab they cant grab u which is important because most ICs I play try to grab u even when its unsafe.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
You might be able to confuse them with the placement of your sword. Since it is disjointed, they cant grab it. You might be able to bait out a missed grab and then punish it after you land. But that is still risky and shouldn't be done too often.

Did we derive a new ratio for this match up?

I'm thinking something along the lines of 55-45 Marth or 60-40 Marth.

V

Smash Ace
I know this has nothing to do with the IC matchup, but IMO Marth should be in S tier no question. At least ahead of D3 due to Marth having advantages over D3's bad MUs, and they both lose to MK. Just my opinion.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
yeah, just not the second vid haha

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kAjBM2Krk2o&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kAjBM2Krk2o&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

few months old btw

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Can someone put that video into the video thread I've been looking for that match up for weeks.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
Here's my input-
This matchup primarily revolves about desyncing them. If they consistently go for the grab, they're playing the matchup incredibly wrong. Space them out and **** them. An IC player who knows the matchup however, would probably try to approach with desynced blizzards/iceblocks. This is slightly harder to get by. I try to wait till the lag from the blizzard starts to effect them and Fair them. Once you get them desynced, use DB and everything else in order to keep them desynced. This matchup is MUCH easier when you get rid of Nana. Everything you have outranges his moves (with the exception of blizzard, which you can shield and punish.) ICs have a lot of different ways to CG you, the most common one to my knowledge is the Bthrow-Dthrow-Bthrow-Dthrow chain. If they get that, you better hope that they mess up, or it's automatically a stock.
Play smart, try to keep them spaced out, desync them, kill Nana, deal with Popo.

I'd say 55-45 Marth, since Marth has the tools to keep them out. However, one grab and it's a stock.

Top Bottom