• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, me and Boss did MarioVsLuigi at CoT4 though it was in teams...I was Mario of coarse...Lol, I could only gimp him once...then he SH Dair into airdodge..I tried to grab him then I got UpB'ed...I caped like 4 times his next stock and he still came back...

Famous

Smash Champion
We have to run that this weekend if you come down...

Speaking of which I finally got to play Azen at C3..I see how you lost to his Marth...Its like I knew what he was doing but I couldn't stop it...

Lol, I said this to him before we started playing

Famous- I heard you beat Boss with Marth..
Azen- Yeah?
Famous- It's about time I got revenge...
Azen-Lol, uh-oh

He beat me sadly...then he managed to beat me in a Mario ditto...This dude is the master of random...

I showed him the cape dash and he was like "Wut?!?"

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Man, Mario and Luigi seem to make a great team, but I can't figure out why...

Anyone have strategies for this team?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Awww Monk come on... I'll get Kirby to give you some special treatment... *wink wink nudge nudge suck suck*
(And trust me, he sucks better than D3! In fact, he'll even swallow if you want him to!)

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
falcon is easy to gimp so try to get a fast kill with the gimp(its easy to predict what recovery move hes going to use). utilt chain thing works great on falcon until about 30%, not really sure. use fireballs if he/she approaches(you can force him/her to appraoch by throwing fireballs). uairs work great for juggling him. if the falcon your playing is a dummy he'll recover with raptor boost, just cape him for an easy kill. use dsmash out of shield, really effective against falcon.

pros
+ utilt works great on falcon
+ easy to gimp
+can abuse projectiles against him

cons
+ he's faster than mario
+ more manly
+ has better taunts

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Cape is good against Wolf, but what's better against Wolf is N-air.

N-air ALWAYS hits Wolf out of his recovery. ALWAYS.

You hit him out of his Side-B or whatever with N-air, and then either combo him with a Cape, U-air, or just edgehog.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I have trouble caping Wolf's sideB. Where exactly in the thing can I cape it? (I have no trouble with the other star animals, but that diagonal crao gives me trouble. He always seems to either pass through or sweetspot it.)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I have trouble caping Wolf's sideB. Where exactly in the thing can I cape it? (I have no trouble with the other star animals, but that diagonal crao gives me trouble. He always seems to either pass through or sweetspot it.)
The begining of the attack...it's the same with the others as well

if you see wolf drop down a little bit expect a sideb

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Really? I thought I'd caped the other space animals around the middle before. My mistake then.

Thanks for the advice!

Inferno3044

Smash Master
FLUDD can be better for gimping all star fox members' side-b depending how far away they are from the ledge. If they need about the full range of the side-b to recover, then FLUDD probably will gimp them. I agree with Monk if you plan to gimp them via the cape though.

Tektite

Smash Apprentice
FLUDD can be better for gimping all star fox members' side-b depending how far away they are from the ledge. If they need about the full range of the side-b to recover, then FLUDD probably will gimp them. I agree with Monk if you plan to gimp them via the cape though.
*Thinks Pikachu's side B*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Versus Ice Climbers:

Do you think it's a winnable matchup?

Basically you must somehow not get grabbed, separate them, gimp Nana, then gimp Popo three times in a row.

My experience:
*D-air is definitely a godsend in this matchup. It's pretty much the only reasonably safe approach you have on their shield.
*Mario can outcamp the ICs easily on BF. The platforms are well spaced for Fireball camping, and Fireball camping does not clash with Blizzard.
*Well timed use of Smashes is important for Mario, and especially more important in this matchup. Aside from D-air, Smashes are among Mario's best tools for separating the ICs. I've found that F-smash almost always hits Nana and at least if you space it decently, you won't get shieldgrabbed. D-smash is good for covering area on both sides as they try to reunite. Up-smash should be saved for KOing Popo when he is solo however.

I'm not completely sure how to gimp them reliably when they are together, any ideas?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Any matchup is winnable. If you'd like to gimp when they're together, fireball to screw up at least one of them. Cape their side-b, and edgehog so only one can recover with their up-b.

Seperation is the key to any character fighting them. Just use your fastest throw and hope by luck they aren't paying attention. Mash your c-stick/analog if you get grabbed and spit on your opponent's face.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Finally. xD
Some activity.
I'll be there right away, Matt.

Fl00d

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I think Mario is unstoppable :bee:, his u-airs and b-airs can do some serious damage. It's why I use Mario, and plus he's the OG ;)
You know what ima practice with Mario some more right now.:chuckle:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ganon... Let's see... I play Ganon as a 'for fun' secondary.
Utilt and Uair **** him. He's easily gimped. If you get hit by his UpB I'm pretty sure you can buffer a Uair or Nair and hit him as he lets go.

He does have range on Mario though, and his Ftilt sends Mario at an angle that makes recovery difficult, and can kill at early %s. Watch out for Ganon's Uair, as it will outprioritize/outrange all of Mario's aerials.

Ganon can jab away Fireballs, which isn't all that important, but I'm mentioning it because it looks cool.

Oh, and Dair is good vs Ganon as well.
His OoS game sucks as well.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Lol Monk. As much as I love to defend some misconceptions about Ganon, in this case, that quote really describes it well >.<

gantrain05

Smash Master
ganon can actually Uair every one of marios arial approaches, and ganon actually wins on ground vs ground as far as range/power goes, the only thing that REALLY makes this matchup gay is ganons ****ty recovery.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And how badly you can combo Ganon. Seriously, as soon as you land a hit, BAM!, that's like 60% or more. Also, the cape beats almost everything Ganon has on the ground.

Uair does help Ganon though.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario's also insanely faster. And he combos him very well. He also doesn't really have an answer to fireball approaching aside from jabbing. It stops him from doing his sideB so much. I'm not sure if fireball beats his downB. I know it beats CF's....

He also wrecks Ganon offstage worse than Link. 60:40 at the lowest unless I'm missing something

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To be fair, good Ganons usually won't approach with side-B or Down-B. Also, a lot of his moves have IASA frames or AC, so he isn't *quite* as slow as he seems.

That being said, the only real things I see going for Ganon in this matchup are his Dair and Uair which beat out most of Mario's moves, and that Ftilt sends Mario to a place which he will usually not recover from.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
To be fair, good Ganons usually won't approach with side-B or Down-B. Also, a lot of his moves have IASA frames or AC, so he isn't *quite* as slow as he seems.
How do they approach? And is THAT approach method better against fireballs?

That being said, the only real things I see going for Ganon in this matchup are his Dair and Uair which beat out most of Mario's moves, and that Ftilt sends Mario to a place which he will usually not recover from.
The big problem I see with Ganon isn't even his recovery, it's the ease of approaching him with Mario. Then, once you're in, Ganon can't get you out without eating a considerable amount of damage. Dair and Uair are things to watch out for, but they don't change very much.

I agree with the Ftilt part

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main thing you need to watch out for when recovering is Ganon's U-air. Reverse U-air gimps Mario pretty easily, but good DI can help you avoid this. Make sure you DI Up against his F-tilt of course.

One thing to look out for is simply punishing him for attempting to edgeguard. I've gotten quite a few gimps by simply Cape Stalling after I get past one of Ganon's failed edgeguard attempts.

D-smash can be retardedly difficult for Ganondorf to punish if he isn't prepared for it. It ducks right under his D-air, Jab, Grab, and F-tilt from what I've seen.

Mario's combos on Ganon of course are really good. D-air -> U-air -> U-air -> D-smash is about 48% on Battlefield (end the combo on a platform). U-tilt chains him to like 30% and then you can get 2 U-airs and a grab for over 60%. Heck, D-tilt can put Ganon in a tough position due to his aerial options being a little bit too slow and if he tries to punish with N-air, you get a Smash out of shield.

One Cape is all it takes to destroy Ganon's recovery. If you Cape him once, the only way he can make it back is going for the edge, so it's a free edgehog as long as you don't screw up. The other way I gimp Ganondorf a lot is by jumping into him with a U-air. If Ganon has used his midair jump when you do this, he won't make it back.

Mario's Jab outspeeds a lot of Ganon's options, so that sucks for him since you can often just do an aerial -> Jab and he can't punish it easily.

When I use Ganondorf, most of my KOs either are from F-smash or doing a reverse U-air gimp if I know Mario is trying to aim for the ledge (Mario however can Up-B early to mess Ganon up). F-smash is something to watch out for because the leanback makes it able to punish Mario's B-air really hard if you're not careful. In general my strategy in this matchup as Ganon is just to Dash Attack and Flame Choke at opportune moments to deal damage and try to juggle Mario as much as possible since Ganon's U-air is hard for Mario to challenge. Then mindgame him into a F-smash or throw him offstage and either gimp with U-air or mindgame in a Smash or an aerial when he does a ledge jump. As long as you watch out for those things, you'll probably win against Ganondorf.

If we discuss another matchup, either I want to hear more about the ICs, or talk about Peach (and yeah, where are you BO X7?).

As for Peach, I'm thinking the matchup is slightly in Mario's favor. Just slightly. Basically, Mario outcamps her (slightly) and overpowers her in KO moves (moderately). Peach's advantages like recovery and combos don't stack up enough when Mario works around those advantages decently by camping with Fireballs and out of shield options (which Mario does better than Peach, as his Up-B is better defensively, and his Up-smash is superior offensively when compared to her other options on his approaches). Mario's Up-smash and F-smash are both better KO moves than anything else Peach may have aside from a lucky Bombomb. Up-smash punishes her out of shield if she approaches with an aerial. F-smash outranges her and KOs earlier than her aerials or F-smash do IIRC.

Basically, I feel this is currently one of Mario's best matchups against a character that is ranked higher than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom