• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player-1

Smash Legend
ummm no...

just not better than diddy but not weak. :ohwell:
I'm not saying his aerial game is weak, I'm saying edgeguarding Mario can be pretty easy. Just keep edgeguarding him well until he uses that mid air jump to and edgehog/pivot drop.

boss8

Smash Hero
edge guarding mario isnt easy....he's throwing fireballs at you at the same time B-uping and capeing...its really hard to edgehog mario unless your deedeedee/metaknight then mario may have a challenge......

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
edge guarding mario isnt easy....he's throwing fireballs at you at the same time B-uping and capeing...its really hard to edgehog mario unless your deedeedee/metaknight then mario may have a challenge......
edge gaurding Mario isn't easy...but the fact that his recovery is so predictable they can just wait to the last second to edge hog

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol, laggy attacks, that makes me laugh. They all come out almost as fast as samus' aerials, except the dair, the fair and dair are really the only ones with landing lag, and its not that much. Diddy can just KO him with an Fsmash, Dsmash, fair, if he needs to. And nanerz can set that up easy.
I meant the afterlag, I should've specified. In comparison to Mario's attacks, they are quite laggy (aside from mario's Fair).

Diddy's KO power is below average. Dsmash has about the same KO potential as ours; which isn't anything to brag about. Fsmash is a reliable kill move but still requires high percentages. With DI, you can live long enough to make Diddy's KO power a problem. His only star-KO attack is his Uair, and that's still at relatively high percentages. With Star-KOs being so important in this game, that's not good. The only good KO move that Diddy has are his throws because they kill regardless of DI. All of his kill moves can be set up with nanerz very easily, which is pretty much why this fight is more about playing keep-away. Separating him from those bananas is as important as separating Nana from Popo.

Edit @ Player1: If you don't mean to say that Mario's aerial game is weak, you may not wanna say "Mario's pretty week in the air". It's rather misleading.

Player-1

Smash Legend
We're talking Diddy here, one of the best people at edgeguarding. Pivot dropping is rather easy. The fireballs can be easily avoided by diddy's air dodge and he can still make it back to the stage. I don't want to hear that I haven't played any good Mario's because I have that have nearly 2 stocked me, but they were still pretty easily edgeguarded.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
We're talking Diddy here, one of the best people at edgeguarding. Pivot dropping is rather easy. The fireballs can be easily avoided by diddy's air dodge and he can still make it back to the stage. I don't want to hear that I haven't played any good Mario's because I have that have nearly 2 stocked me, but they were still pretty easily edgeguarded.
Diddy's good at edgeguarding, I'll agree, but you can't have fought a good Mario and still think he's easy to edgeguard. There are so many ways to get around his edgeguarding as Mario.

On the other hand, Mario has plenty of options on edgeguarding Diddy and fireballing him off the stage isn't one of them. Cape, Fludd, Nair, and Uair are what you'd be using. The fact that he can't recover that high just makes him easier.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong has an easier time being on the offensive than Mario due to those bananas. They help him with his set-ups for the most part. Mario has to stay on the defensive with caping those bananas.
Are the bananas that bad? My friends use them alot, but they don't last long, and I can grab them to use for me.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
The difficuly depends on the diddy you are facing. If you up against a wise playing diddy, prepare to be confused, grabbed, thrown, setup, and have you're ground game restricted from all them crazy bannana's being grabbed & thrown every which a way. He has alot of options he's able to do with them versatile bannana's, without them, diddy's a mediocre character. Nothing fancy and outragest movewise.

On Final destination's flat stage of nothing, you're in for a tough match. Just try not to slip on any bannana's .

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Guys really important, i was wondering after this discussion on diddy, we can revisit Falco for just a second....it's something i just came across from in the past and i thought i can deal with...but unfortunately i either just REALLY SUCK, or i'm just missing info...
Reply back back to this later or ignore it if you feel like it.

Thanks

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Guys really important, i was wondering after this discussion on diddy, we can revisit Falco for just a second....it's something i just came across from in the past and i thought i can deal with...but unfortunately i either just REALLY SUCK, or i'm just missing info...
Reply back back to this later or ignore it if you feel like it.

Thanks
i think we discussed falco already

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
i know, i actually provided some input on falco too.... its just that i recently faced a pretty tough one recently that 3 stocked me with falco using his CG to meteor instantly and edgehogged the ledge....mario's recovery is a little predictable so it isn't really that hard to do, especially if your in the animation of the meteor, its pretty hard to meteor cancel falcos dair... I couldn't DI out of his grab, and if i can recall, there was even one time while i was on final destination, falco CG me across the whole stage, and i was like around 50% +, and i still couldn't DI out of his CG......

i tried every tactic i knew but nothing seemed to work, it started to remind me of DDD, IC, or the situation with the two Mother Boys.

pretty much 1 grab equals death.... well at least in my situation, am i missing something?

Again, sorry for getting off topic, but this really concerns me, i tried researching matches but i haven't seen any recorded matches with Mario vs GOOD Falcos besides the one i played against...

Again, sorry for this off topic dumb post, but its been really bothering me lately...i promise you this will be the only off topic post from me ever to hit this thread ever again....

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Never happened to me. Definitely something to worry about if there's absolutely no way out.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Well I've been playing some decent Diddys lately and found that FLUDD is really the way to go to avoid his spike. Diddy can edgeguard pretty well but he has a tough time landing a spike and Mario is pretty hard to edgeguard to begin with. Most of the time they just go for edgehogging once they've realized they can't kill you with their spike alone. Bananas really can mess you up but it's not as devasting for Mario as it is with most characters. You can manipulate Diddy's banana game with the cape and fludd decently but Diddy can still keep in control. In the air Diddy is actually more outclassed than I thought, his priority is almost the same as Mario's but atks aren't as fast. Diddy is very easy to gimp and not too difficult to juggle. Diddy's ground game >>>>>> yours cause of his bananas though. Mario deals with Diddy very well compared to most characters and this match-up still seems even to me. And you can KO him early with a Fsmash tilted up.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I'm still keeping it 7-3 against him because of the way Diddy Kong can pressure Mario. Oh, and bananas screw everyone in the cast.

boss8

Smash Hero
yea bananas have the advantage....i mean diddykong is really easy to use and pick up for nubs.......basically you dash attack and throw a banana....combo'ing diddy is the same.....it's just his naners make him annoying and frustrating.......i think diddykong is easy......i just throw the bananas and shield/grab all his attacks......if it's any other i would use wario due to eating bananas.... XD

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
yea bananas have the advantage....i mean diddykong is really easy to use and pick up for nubs.......basically you dash attack and throw a banana....combo'ing diddy is the same.....it's just his naners make him annoying and frustrating.......i think diddykong is easy......i just throw the bananas and shield/grab all his attacks......if it's any other i would use wario due to eating bananas.... XD
Well, they do have a good dose of potassium. :laugh:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm still keeping it 7-3 against him because of the way Diddy Kong can pressure Mario. Oh, and bananas screw everyone in the cast.
I dunno, maybe it's just me. I can usually keep the fight under my control if I keep my own pressure up with the fireballs while he has a banana. They're sort of like DDD. They bank the entire fight on landing those grabs (banana combos in this case) while the rest of their playstyle suffers. They won't throw the banana if they don't think it will lead to something. Playing defensively with fireballs and nabbing the bananas as fast as you can helps with this.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Oh, and bananas screw everyone in the cast.
yea anyone who heavily depends on ground game and close combat like Bowser and Ganon. Characters like peach.. have little trouble with bananas. Also Rob, and Falco who just out camp diddy. Diddy isn't all that great.. its just those bananas, and Mario can handle them easier than most characters because of cape. 7:3 is just seems way too big for me.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
yea anyone who heavily depends on ground game and close combat like Bowser and Ganon. Characters like peach.. have little trouble with bananas. Also Rob, and Falco who just out camp diddy. Diddy isn't all that great.. its just those bananas, and Mario can handle them easier than most characters because of cape. 7:3 is just seems way too big for me.
I meant that if you're hit with them, prepare to get punished, which happens to all the characters if hit by Diddy Kong's bananas and if you're going against an awesome Diddy Kong player like NinjaLink.

Bramble

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kongs bananas are a pain in the *** for all characters.

That doesn't have reflector (excluding Wario whose mouth owns the bananas), which Mario has. Diddy Kongs game STRONGLY depends on his bananas and if you consider that Mario has less problems with them than most of the cast, this matchup is definately not a 7:3 favor for Diddy. To add onto this, Mario is heavier than Diddy and also stronger, thus getting KO's somewhat earlier.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay, I played against Teh_Spammerer's Diddy a lot, so this is one of my more familiar matchups.

Diddy is boring. The matchup revolves around his bananas. Basically it comes down to how good you are at catching and controlling bananas. Aside from that, neither of you have any truly clear technical advantage over each other.

I think the matchup is dead even. The main differences between characters is that Mario is slightly better at KOing than Diddy (especially vertically), and Diddy is slightly better at ledgeguarding in this matchup (don't believe me? Banana -> D-air is really dangerous and IIRC CANNOT BE OUT-PRIORITIZED BY UP-B).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Diddy's good at ledgeguarding? Explain plz.
What I meant is that Diddy's ledgeguarding vs Mario is more effective than Mario's ledgeguarding vs Diddy.

His Banana toss -> D-air works better than anything else you can pull off on him.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What I meant is that Diddy's ledgeguarding vs Mario is more effective than Mario's ledgeguarding vs Diddy.

His Banana toss -> D-air works better than anything else you can pull off on him.
Don't see it. All of his recovery options are very easy to cape/fludd. A well placed Bair or Nair on a charging upB renders it useless. And there are ways around banana -> Dair, it seems simplistic if what you're saying = what I'm thinking. A vid or something would help.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't see it. All of his recovery options are very easy to cape/fludd. A well placed Bair or Nair on a charging upB renders it useless. And there are ways around banana -> Dair, it seems simplistic if what you're saying = what I'm thinking. A vid or something would help.
The reason why Diddy is better at ledgeguarding in this matchup is because Mario's recovery is more predictable than Diddy's. His Bananas outprioritize all attacks if not caught. This includes your Up-B, and it's fairly obvious when Mario is going to Up-B. If he hits you with a Banana, he can follow up with a D-air, which is really deadly.

Diddy's Forward B has high priority and propels him far, which can be annoying. His Up-B also can be difficult to deal with due to the distance and angles it can send him.

Sorry, I don't have vids against Teh_Spammerer. I'm just telling you he's really good.

However in this matchup you are better at scoring KOs. Your pivoted F-smash outranges everything Diddy has and is more powerful than his other kill moves, and isn't noticeably slower. Diddy also really can't kill vertically at all, while Mario isn't terrible at doing that. IMO Mario doesn't have too much trouble handling the Banana fortress. In the air you go close to even. Diddy doesn't have a huge range advantage that's a chore for Mario to deal with.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The reason why Diddy is better at ledgeguarding in this matchup is because Mario's recovery is more predictable than Diddy's. His Bananas outprioritize all attacks if not caught. This includes your Up-B, and it's fairly obvious when Mario is going to Up-B. If he hits you with a Banana, he can follow up with a D-air, which is really deadly.

Diddy's Forward B has high priority and propels him far, which can be annoying. His Up-B also can be difficult to deal with due to the distance and angles it can send him.

Sorry, I don't have vids against Teh_Spammerer. I'm just telling you he's really good.

However in this matchup you are better at scoring KOs. Your pivoted F-smash outranges everything Diddy has and is more powerful than his other kill moves, and isn't noticeably slower. Diddy also really can't kill vertically at all, while Mario isn't terrible at doing that. IMO Mario doesn't have too much trouble handling the Banana fortress. In the air you go close to even. Diddy doesn't have a huge range advantage that's a chore for Mario to deal with.
Yeah, I see what you mean now and how that could definitely be a problem. And yeah, Teh_Spammerer pwns.

I still see Diddy as one of the easier characters to edgeguard because Fludd works well on his SideB, he can't recover above you, and Cape screws up every part of his recovery. I think the fight is slightly in Diddy's favor because of the way he forces you to play, and how easily screwing up could get you KO'd. 6:4

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Those bananas are really annoying, they make almost impossible to space... Also, how can a banana hit you out of your Up B during the invincibility frames?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Hmm...I'll go with 6-4 because of Mario's cape helping him out with defense and better KO ability, and the way Diddy Kong's bananas keep you on the defense because of the set-ups he can make that rack up your damage and get you to KO percent. I agree with Mario being able to gimp his recovery easily, though. I put it to 7-3 because months ago, I was fighting an online clan member of mine, Rex, and his Diddy Kong, on Wi-Fi. Because of the input lag, it was harder for me to face his Diddy Kong with Mario when he improved.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
My short contribution: Diddy's bananas are not as great as people make them out to be. I played some people today. If your smart, you predict the Diddy's banana, if you sheild, I hope you don't walk. And if you get hit, the max Diddy does is DashA or A sliding Usmash.

Why is Diddy considered to have a great ledge game? If he goes out to meet Mario, he needs to play it out cautiously. Assuming you go out far enough to attempt a Nair or Fair and KO. The only thing I thought of is a strategic banana drop onto the ledge. Everything else is just far too long to execute.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The chances of a diddy having that set-up for him is to little for that to be seen as a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom