• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Chart Project 2015 - Calling Pac-man Mains!

verbatim

Smash Ace
Someone dropping or secondarying a character doesn't make them "not viable". Armada's shift from solo Peach to Fox/Peach in Melee is representative of Fox's better relative performance to Peach, not that Peach sucks. Ditto for ZeRo playing Sheik.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
JC Glide toss D-throw Cherry -> 95% - 120%. To what?

No offense to you, but I don't buy one PAC-MAN beating his best players to prove anything. It's great of course, but abadango has switched his main to Meta Knight. If PAC-MAN really was that good (as you make it sound) why would he have done that? Because I think that if PAC-MAN really was high tier then abadango would not have switched mains. For me it sounds like PAC-MAN wasn't good enough for him, so he had to find a new main. (But I don't know for sure why he switched mains, so what I say is only assumptions.) Can't really blame him though. He is/was (among) the best PAC-MEN, right?

Then, in a video, ZeRo has stated that "if a character can't deal with shields, it's not viable" or something along the lines. "But xzx, he has duh trampolineeeee!!!" Yeah trampoline only takes you that far: resetting the situation with the opponent often having the frame advantages. I would hardly call that "beating shields". It only resets the situation. Too bad PAC-MAN has a horrible grab... Yes, he can break shields but good luck getting the key in hand consistently.

PAC-MAN is hardly a dominating and consistent character (leading to underwhelming MUs) and that is why I think he is not viable in the long run. I'm sorry guys.
Abadango still uses PAC, also its completely possible and within reason he did it because he enjoys playing meta Knight. he did also play Wario And Rosalina, and you're not about to tell me they're unviable too cause he switched mains. it only takes 1 to prove something, ZeRo proved despite diddy nerf's he can still dominate with him agaisnt characters much better. Leo Proved meta knight is still viable after beating mr R. as long as someone can do it, its possible, all you have to do is improve.

ZeRo also stated he considers PAC High Tier so that point is mute honestly.

if you dont feel PAC is viable, might be time to throw in the towel. cause just like NAKAT said "Dont rely on patches" they wpuld certainly be nice if they gave him a buff but at this point we have to start advancing the meta with the thought of never getting a buff

xzx

Smash Lord
Then stop calling yourself a pacmain, and stop telling people you're an authority on a character that you don't like because he isn't Mario.
Why would I stop calling myself a PAC-MAN main when I main PAC-MAN? And since when have I told people I have an authority on the character? No, seriously? I am just arguing and you happen to disagree! I REALLY like PAC-MAN, that's why I main him (because he is the most fun character in the game to play). Stop being so butthurt about my opinions about him and actually start combatting my arguments instead!

First off, Zero isn't the end all be all of Pac-Man viability. Maybe Abadango decided that Pac-Man isn't a good fit for him. @Pacman9 is always switching off of Pac-Man. Dtilt seems like a good option against shields but needs to be tested further. Although it isn't the same a combo throw.

I personally think Pac-Man is the most consistant character because most of main moves don't factor rage in, fruits, trampoline bounces, pellet healing, plus his moves that do scale with rage do so poorly so it isn't noticable. I'm not saying Pac-Man is the best character nor does he not have flaws. He does benefit from matchup inexperience but even if everyone knows not to fall for his traps he can still have the advantage. I make the traps and have the time I don't even plan them out before hand, the oppurtunity just presents itself. Pac-Man also probably has one of the best evasive games in Smash 4. He can out maneuver any setup and camp out anyone if he needs to. Pac-Man can time people out instead of beating people's shields if he has the lead. I don't really know how to end this but you aren't giving Pac-Man enough credit.
That's not what I said, I just felt that I wanted to share with you what a top player has said. And that is not the reason I believe PAC-MAN is unviable.

Then we have different opinions about the notion "consistency". See no point in furthering this.

Regarding abadango, what you said isn't necessarily true (won't blame you though, as none of us know the reasoning behind his decision). Before (when he mained PAC-MAN), he could switch character when he met a Rosalina, for example.

Of course, I'm not saying he is bottom tier. I just think that he is unviable because he is not a consistent character and lack a reliable way to deal with shields. This game is disgustingly overly-defensive. If it was more offensive, PAC-MAN would easily be a better character, and that is why I state over and over that PAC-MAN would likely be high tier in Melee/Brawl. PAC-MAN is a character that will slowly sunk as times goes by. It's not about not giving credit to the character. It's not fair that I build up so much damage and then die to a single hit due to rage. In Brawl/Melee this wouldn't have existed for example... What I'm trying to say is that PAC-MAN oftentimes must get in more hits than his opponents before the KO and thus it leaves more room to get punished while rage effect is a ticking bomb if he does not secure the KO. The longer a character must wait to secure the KO, the greater the probability of getting KOed is, as killing power and KO safeness is a much bigger factor here in Smash 4 than it was in Brawl/Melee due to rage. Thank goodness for PAC-MAN's kill confirm with fair though, but that's not ultra-safe either...

Abadango still uses PAC, also its completely possible and within reason he did it because he enjoys playing meta Knight. he did also play Wario And Rosalina, and you're not about to tell me they're unviable too cause he switched mains. it only takes 1 to prove something, ZeRo proved despite diddy nerf's he can still dominate with him agaisnt characters much better. Leo Proved meta knight is still viable after beating mr R. as long as someone can do it, its possible, all you have to do is improve.

ZeRo also stated he considers PAC High Tier so that point is mute honestly.

if you dont feel PAC is viable, might be time to throw in the towel. cause just like NAKAT said "Dont rely on patches" they wpuld certainly be nice if they gave him a buff but at this point we have to start advancing the meta with the thought of never getting a buff
If I understood it correctly, he would go Meta Knight as much as possible. To me, that sounds that Meta Knight will be his main now. Actually, I have always thought Wario is not viable (mained him in Brawl and has him as a "secondary" in this game) in Smash 4, but I digress.

It's one thing I must say regarding the Diddy Kong "nerfs": First off, I would rather call it "balancing" than nerfs, as removing/weakening something so stupid as "hoo-hah" is hardly a nerf (well, technically it is...), it is just pure balancing. A nerf is what they did to R.O.B.'s up-throw and Mii Gunner's launch grenade. That is pure nerfs. But Diddy Kong's hoo-hah? Pure balancing. Diddy Kong after the "nerf" = still top tier, as the hoo-hah did not make him top tier. His stats did and the hoo-hah was just icing on the cake. Anyway...

Meta Knight is a better character than PAC-MAN, so I'm not sure what you want to tell me about Leo beating Mr. R...?

"as long as someone can do it, its possible, all you have to do is improve." Well yeah, kind off... You see, I don't really think the Lower tiered characters can do it because of sucky stats. Of course PAC-MAN can win matches due to the player's skill with him, but it gets to a point where skills is thrown outta the window. (What I'm talking about is "unwinnable" matchups.)

As I have said before, I will never give up on PAC-MAN, as he is my main. All this debating from me isn't because of "pacman is bad, waah buff him!!1!" but more like "PAC-MAN isn't viable because of this and this" and "PAC-MAN suffers a lot because of this and that" and so on. Come on, even I know that complaining won't change things, or at least won't overhaul things, but it feels nice to express one's feelings and learn something from you guys, as we all have different opinions, or at least, you all have different opinions from me, and that is okay. =P Overall you have good points though.

---

My conclusion is: If PAC-MAN doesn't get any fixes and buffs and/or if the core engine of the game isn't changed to the better, then PAC-MAN will not be viable in the long run. Of course, this won't mean that you can't win with PAC-MAN nor should stop playing as him. It just means that he will not be viable at top level play and thus he struggles a lot, just like any other middle tier. (For me, high tier and above are viable characters.) Because whenever I win with PAC-MAN, I am proud I won because I know it was pure skills and nothing else, as PAC-MAN has not even a single thing being overpowering about him. Nothing at all. If you lose to PAC-MAN, you freaking lost to that player because of his/her skills! (With the exception of matchup inexperience, which shouldn't be a problem with the proper training.)

I must say I'm impressed that some of you are willing to debate with me, but if you don't want to do it then just stop doing it. (It's better to stop debating right away than to avoid the questions asked, as has happened before...)

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Then stop calling yourself a pacmain
This is the No True Scottsman fallacy and gets uncomfortably personal. This is borderline warning potential.

With that said, carry on people. No official warnings yet, but this post was still uncomfortable to me. If the tone does not improve, I will issue out official warnings.

------------------

Now that my "mod text" is off, I'd like to note one thing with respect to the arguments.

"But xzx, he has duh trampolineeeee!!!"
You asked me in a private message if your posts were "mature". Setting up a strawman is not mature at all. In contrast, a mature post would have been a Steelman argument. The key to a steelman is to do your best to represent the opponent's opinion. There's no rule against this (which is why I'm talking without mod-text on), but if you wish to argue effectively, you should not employ Strawmen but instead SteelMen.

Of course, I'm not saying he is bottom tier.
Except you did. You claimed PacMan has no advantages in this game except for Mii Gunner in this very thread. This is exactly the definition of "bottom tier".

Another note: there have been whispers that DTilt is +Frames on shield now. This means that PacMan has legitimate shield pressure now. Depending on the opponent since the new patch, running-attack is also completely safe against shields. Shiek and Mario (with their 6-frame grabs) can still grab in-between the run-attack animation, but approximately half the cast cannot.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Understood, edited

PAC-MAN is a character that will slowly sunk as times goes by.
It's been well documented that pacman gets away with a lot of things that he shouldn't at high level play because of experience, but even then I think that it is extremely unfair to call him anything other than high tier, especially considering his insane tournament performances (Super majors not withstanding, 3 different Pacman placed in the top 16 at Sumbato last night, being the second most common character in the top 32 behind Sheik).

What I'm trying to say is that PAC-MAN oftentimes must get in more hits than his opponents before the KO and thus it leaves more room to get punished while rage effect is a ticking bomb if he does not secure the KO. The longer a character must wait to secure the KO, the greater the probability of getting KOed is, as killing power and KO safeness is a much bigger factor here in Smash 4 than it was in Brawl/Melee due to rage. Thank goodness for PAC-MAN's kill confirm with fair though, but that's not ultra-safe either...
This applies to Sheik as well. She's very clearly the more consistent character but killing later and less consistently is a disadvantage in this metagame, not a death sentence.

Pacman has the worst combination of grab + grab reward in the game, it would be amazing if they addressed that in 1.1.4, but I don't think they will. Pacman is intentionally a nonstandard, trap based character, so by design he's supposed to find creative solutions to problems that other characters can solve with a single input. While they're grabs are "better", Greninja, Yoshi, and Toon Link have all staked claims at being high tier and Villager is widely considered to be top tier. The unifying factor between them is that none of them can grab OOS, one of the most important options in the game. Yoshi makes up for their deficit by being able to pressure shields with a wide variety of more, but ultimately less effective options than grab OOS (command grab, dair, eggs, etc), Greninja utilizes jabs OOS and capitalizes on one of the best dash grabs in the entire game, Toon Link and Villager make up for their bad grab by having the 2nd and 3rd best kill throws in the entire game, and the former has a significant amount of projectile pressure while the latter gets a frame 3 "get out of jail card".

Pacman's kind of like Yoshi, in that he doesn't have one singular amazing option to make up for the lack of an OOS grab, but rather he has a multitude of options that let him work around his obvious shortcoming and win matches. An amazing reset game OOS in the form of nair and up b, movement restriction in the form of hydrant + trampoline, pressure in the form of z-drop fruit, the one time out of ten that a grab is actually a good idea. Would Pacman be significantly better with a regular grab, of course, but between professional opinions and professional results, he's shown time and time again that his specific toolkit enables him to circumnavigate obstacles that would otherwise ruin the character through ingenuity and constant research.

Last edited:

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
If I understood it correctly, he would go Meta Knight as much as possible. To me, that sounds that Meta Knight will be his main now. Actually, I have always thought Wario is not viable (mained him in Brawl and has him as a "secondary" in this game) in Smash 4, but I digress.

It's one thing I must say regarding the Diddy Kong "nerfs": First off, I would rather call it "balancing" than nerfs, as removing/weakening something so stupid as "hoo-hah" is hardly a nerf (well, technically it is...), it is just pure balancing. A nerf is what they did to R.O.B.'s up-throw and Mii Gunner's launch grenade. That is pure nerfs. But Diddy Kong's hoo-hah? Pure balancing. Diddy Kong after the "nerf" = still top tier, as the hoo-hah did not make him top tier. His stats did and the hoo-hah was just icing on the cake. Anyway...

Meta Knight is a better character than PAC-MAN, so I'm not sure what you want to tell me about Leo beating Mr. R...?

"as long as someone can do it, its possible, all you have to do is improve." Well yeah, kind off... You see, I don't really think the Lower tiered characters can do it because of sucky stats. Of course PAC-MAN can win matches due to the player's skill with him, but it gets to a point where skills is thrown outta the window. (What I'm talking about is "unwinnable" matchups.)

As I have said before, I will never give up on PAC-MAN, as he is my main. All this debating from me isn't because of "pacman is bad, waah buff him!!1!" but more like "PAC-MAN isn't viable because of this and this" and "PAC-MAN suffers a lot because of this and that" and so on. Come on, even I know that complaining won't change things, or at least won't overhaul things, but it feels nice to express one's feelings and learn something from you guys, as we all have different opinions, or at least, you all have different opinions from me, and that is okay. =P Overall you have good points though.

---

My conclusion is: If PAC-MAN doesn't get any fixes and buffs and/or if the core engine of the game isn't changed to the better, then PAC-MAN will not be viable in the long run. Of course, this won't mean that you can't win with PAC-MAN nor should stop playing as him. It just means that he will not be viable at top level play and thus he struggles a lot, just like any other middle tier. (For me, high tier and above are viable characters.) Because whenever I win with PAC-MAN, I am proud I won because I know it was pure skills and nothing else, as PAC-MAN has not even a single thing being overpowering about him. Nothing at all. If you lose to PAC-MAN, you freaking lost to that player because of his/her skills! (With the exception of matchup inexperience, which shouldn't be a problem with the proper training.)

I must say I'm impressed that some of you are willing to debate with me, but if you don't want to do it then just stop doing it. (It's better to stop debating right away than to avoid the questions asked, as has happened before...)

probably depends on the match up, I go to Luigi during certain match ups. this is a PAC thread so i wont go into detail about wario, but wario is suoer viable, makes me wonder is only S and A tier characters viable to you? im genuinely curious

Diddy Kong got nerfs after just the hoo hah, he was nerfed 2 editional times. its not just balancing. and the hoo hah is a nerf just as much as nerfing ROB's up throw or sonics back throw. diddy kong is still top tier cause he has good tools but he dropped heavily in usage and stats just like luigi. but his tools can still be used to beat his negative matchups, like shiek.

people didnt think meta knight was better till mr r was beaten by leo and people started using him more. regardless of how good he is he isnt better than shiek and still beat mr r. we havent even optimized PAC-MAN there's so much more potential and we could be doing better.

no match up in this game is unwinnable imo, there are matchups that are negative aka not in your favor but not unwinnable. it all depends on knowledge and skill. Esam beat larry lurr's luigi with samus, who is awful in this game.

I understand where your coming from, PAC man isnt without flaws, i know that, but thats what we have to advandce our meta in surpassing, and if you give in to believing that PAC wont improve, he really wont, in order to improve you have of course know your weaknesses, but you also cant let them discourage you or make you believe the character has a cap on how good he can be. im not saying your complaining but you sound as if youve defeated yourself on improving the meta with PAC and no matter what he'll never get better, he's peaked for you. i dont feel those chains, i feel PAC isnt even close to as good as he could be.

i agree with you about one thing if you lose to PAC your being outplayed. bit we have yet to fully unleash the potential of PAC and we have years to reach it, before you mark as nonviable just give it time, let the meta progress and lets see how PAC does

as long as were having a real nice civil debate im always willing to reply

Top Bottom