• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread (Updated 01/13/2010) -- Please Submit Ratios and Summaries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
hey Shiri can you make the next one diddy I have trouble with that match-up towards the end. I **** in the begining then it always ends bad. GAY

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sure thing. Diddy and DK are on the list for next week's threads, then.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I expect D-Torr and YoshiDiddy to OWN that thread when it gets here.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
lol im gonna say this one last time, WE NEED TO COME TO SOME CONCLUSIONS ON VS. THREADS. some of the threads talk about one subject and stop. also we need to do more one at a time stuff theres like 7 different vs sutff which we could have 2 or 3 done and out of the way if u focused and got a summary for them

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, while I am working on putting up summaries for some, you have to realize something.

No matchups are ever "done and out of the way." The game is still young, characters are still evolving, and techniques are still being discovered. Yoshi players from Melee were still finding things up until early 2007 that changed lots of his top and high tier matchups. The very reason behind the versus threads (as opposed to one big matchup thread) is the fact that months or maybe years down the line, people can still reference the information presented in those threads and post about how new techniques that have been discovered (or playstyles that have emerged) change the matchup. It's all for the sake of posterity; "completion" is a thing that never really comes to a fighting game with any depth.

I wholeheartedly agree on the matchup summaries to date, though, and I'll get working on those with faster pace than I've been giving them.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190510&page=344

It would be nice to give them a link, LOL.

But yeah.

I'll be willing to debate with any of you who think Yoshi has this much of an advantage over Sonic (currently it is 6:4 Yoshi's favor... personally I don't see it any worse than 55:45, and as such I want to get this one right.). I seriously do not know how that ratio came to be born the first time around...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If any of you have Sonic experience, you should go and post before I spam them up good.

Does anybody here besides PRiDE have any actual Sonic experience? o_0

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Offline... no. If I went to Gigabits last Saturday I would have met a few. =/

Did Gindler or D-Torr fight any Sonics there?

Sharky

Smash Master
I've got experience with da kid, but then again so do you, shiri, so that doesn't add much. bleeehhh I wouldn't be able to think enough to type something now, anyway.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
when are we doing the G+W matchup? I'm really thinking it's a lot simpler than it should be :)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sonic and Mr. Game and Watch sound good for the next topics.

They will be up tomorrow.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I demand Yoshi to inform Zelda of his/its bad stages against her

Go post in the thread if you can before it's too late!!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wait, guys... I just looked at the Samus boards a little while ago. Samus is 65:35 against us? And bwett agreed!? o_O

We need a Samus discussion thread.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Bwett probably agreed because he plays against the only actual Samus in tournaments right now.

Samus is coming up on Monday. Any other suggestions?

.Marik

is a social misfit
Do you people honestly think the Zelda v. Yoshi matchup is 60:40 Zelda's favour?

I don't. Maybe 55:45 or 50:50 at best.

And there's no way in hell Samus is 65:35 against us. All Samus has is a nasty Zair and decent projectiles. 50:50 at best.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link's are discussing Yoshi stage counterpicks and bans!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209912

It'll only take like 2-3 minutes. Just post what you think is a good/ bad stage for Yoshi (against Toon Link) and why.
It can be like one sentence or something. Just put some amount of an explanation please. ^_^

Why has Yoshi's Dair always been so dumb omfgbbqhax? :mad::mad:

.Marik

is a social misfit
Naw, it'd only make matchups harder for us lol.

Seriously guys, don't. Help. Them. =\

Mmac

Smash Lord
K, since the last chart hasn't been updated in more than a half year, I'm starting fresh with a new one right now. For now though, it's only a blank slate, so I need a list of the new ratios from the recent discussions. Can anyone help fill me in?

PS: Just ignore the random coloured ratio boxes, I forgot/too lazy to change them to grey.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay, okay, okay, okay.

Real quick, before anyone gets to this.

We're trying right now to focus on discussing the matchups without focusing on ratios. They start arguments over really arbitrary numbers and quantify things that are inherently immeasurable. Our matchup threads don't have any official numbers, but if you reeeeeally want to fill in your chart (I know some people really do want their matchup ratios for some reason), then ask like, Metatitan or something. They do all the imaginary number crunching.

P.S. - I HOPE EVERYONE CAUGHT MY VERY SUBTLE SUBLIMINAL POKES AT HOW RIDICULOUS MATCHUP RATIOS ARE. I WOULD HATE FOR MY ABSURDLY DRY HUMOR TO FALL ON DEAF EARS.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I understand, but I am just trying to help....

Plus, I wanted statistics from the majority, not just one or two guys...

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Well, people do still mention ratios in the matchup threads. If you want numbers that are more agreed upon, rather than just from one or two people, you can try looking through the individual matchup threads to see if there's some sort of consensus on a ratio. Unfortunately, there are a number of matchups that haven't been discussed very thoroughly, so I'm not sure how many ratios you'll be able to get.

Airborne

Smash Lord
also, what if we just put the range of ratios that everyone is debating in between? y'know, with like 1 point differences on ratios that are undecided?

edit: it helps b/c people won't start FLAME WARS ( :006: ) over just one ratio...

auroreon

Smash Ace
I personally think we should work towards a general matchip ratio... now I realise obviously it will be debatable and really MUs depend on mutiple factors, but I think getting down a general ratio would be beneficial.
Matchup discussions are there to debate the matchup so there will be just that... DEBATE. What people don't seem to be able to draw a line between is rational debate and mindless arguing.
As long as people are relevant and stay on-topic to contribute towards the debate then I don't see why anyone should feel the need to turn an innocent debate into a heated argument.

As long as we inforce strict moderation on debates over matchups and there is plenty of thought an consideration going into it, I don't see why we shouldn't aim to reach an agreed general matchup ratio.
If the SBR can rationaly debate and come to a conclusion on an even more debatable matter of tier lists and the like, then we can reach a MU ratio.
Its pretty sad if we can't even discuss matchup ratio without stupid arguements braking out over it.

Please do not accuse me of 'failing to understand that a ratio can never be completely accurate' and such, I know this. But I do believe we can reach a generally accepted ratio that reflects the matchup as accuratly as possible with a ratio.

To be blunt about it... we just need very strict moderating of arguments to stop mindless rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom