• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread (Updated 01/13/2010) -- Please Submit Ratios and Summaries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Are we going to have match-up summaries at some point? Because I was thinking of writing one up for the Ness match-up, if that would be useful. If so, is there a specific format I should stick to? How long should it be?

:005:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Firefly, if you'd like to do a writeup, go ahead.

No requirement on length or format. Just make sure to use all the arguments presented in the thread. I posted a few guidelines a little earlier in this thread regarding writeups. Refer to that, if you please, and PM/VM me when you have something.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Okay, I started a little something on this, but it isn't done yet, and it won't be for a while. I'm going camping for probably over a week tomorrow, so I won't have internet access for that time. Just thought I should point that out so you're not wondering why I fell off the face of the Earth. =3

:005:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yup, that's the idea. Once I get summaries, they're going in the OPs for their respective threads.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Double post for infinite justice.

Reminding you ladies that I'm still here to accept ratios and summaries for these matchups~

Don't forget that you can collaborate with other members of both these boards and other boards to get these done. You guys wanted them really badly, so please submit these to me so I can update them! ^__^

I've updated the Samus, DK, and Ness threads with their respective summaries in the OP.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I want the Yoshi Board to be more active :(
so much match ups thread and no activity.

perhaps all match up threads and once are too much.
what about weekly discussion like then?
We had more activity and it would be more organized.

There's no activity in the several match up threads so we have to do a Match-Up Board Discussion one after the other.

we don't even have a match up list or something xD'

hadesblade

Smash Lord
I want the Yoshi Board to be more active :(
so much match ups thread and no activity.

perhaps all match up threads and once are too much.
what about weekly discussion like then?
We had more activity and it would be more organized.

There's no activity in the several match up threads so we have to do a Match-Up Board Discussion one after the other.

we don't even have a match up list or something xD'
Yeah, we need so much more activity... and we definitely need to rediscuss some of the matchups, I would like to see 2-3 discussions a week that just restarted once we finished the last characters, because in the 2-3 months that would take to finish, the metagame is different and thus needs rediscussion.

Don't let yoshi boards die. We don't want to end up like jiggz. ><

bigman40

Smash Master
I'll try to contribute what I can. I wouldn't count too much from me since my information is pretty analytical over the matches (that does not include my observations when I have actual experience on MUs). Speaking of contributing....*goes to add more to the moveset thread*

Sharky

Smash Master
weekly matchup discussions are nice, but cluttered when kept in one thread. If you want that, keep the same threads, but make certain threads focus points for each week.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
weekly matchup discussions are nice, but cluttered when kept in one thread. If you want that, keep the same threads, but make certain threads focus points for each week.
It doesn't matter how we do it, maybe edit the OP with like 2 threads we're working on for this week, and then we all go to those threads and talk about them. It's just we need to do these, or something to keep the boards alive, and our metagame moving forward.

Airborne

Smash Lord
how about this? each week, we sticky one MU thread of a character we would like to talk about for the duration of that week. once we reach a conclusion, we can do whatever shiri does with the summaries and hopefully be able to rationally reach a MU ratio (though they're kinda dumb...)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Whatever you gals decide to do, just make sure to let me know and I'll do whatever I need to.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
We have a metagame?
It revolves around the awesome that is Deltacod.

Anyways, I just feel the MU discussions that are dead died because people don't have anything to say. Like, how many of us have something to say about, say, the Yoshi Lucas MU? The Ness MU didn't involve a lot of discussion, and eventually I just wrote up a summary because I'd been doing some practice with it. I may edit it upon more experience, as well.

If you guys want to start more discussion, just necro the thread. As long as you have something relevant to say, I'd assume it's okay. We don't lock them for a reason. The Ike thread was revived sometime ago and a bit of discussion went on before then. Just use the MU database to find the one you'd like to talk about. =/

Metatitan

Smash Master
There's too many inconsistencies with yoshi to get an accurate matchup thread. Very few people who actually know the matchup are at a high level of play. I know the matchup but I know very well I am not at a high level of play so it really doesn't matter that much.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I find that ironic, considering that my summary was taken for the Ness MU. Apparently I don't matter much, though. =P

Honestly, anyone who knows what they're talking about/has experience should be able to post. I don't understand this bias against people that aren't in the Holy Trinity of Yoshi mains. You can't make progress by only taking the word of three mains, all three of whom rarely post. >_>

bigman40

Smash Master
I find that ironic, considering that my summary was taken for the Ness MU. Apparently I don't matter much, though. =P

Honestly, anyone who knows what they're talking about/has experience should be able to post. I don't understand this bias against people that aren't in the Holy Trinity of Yoshi mains. You can't make progress by only taking the word of three mains, all three of whom rarely post. >_>
OH ****! Someone that makes sense these days! OMGGAW!!!!! *explodes*

Metatitan

Smash Master
I never mentioned any of those three yoshies, just that the majority of people don't know the matchup. Learn2read.

The same problem was in the jigglypuff boards. All her matchups ended up being near even because people were basing it off of bad people or people who lacked the proper matchup knowledge to completely destroy jiggs. It takes awhile to learn how to use yoshi's blindspot in your favor, don't act like people automatically know the MU.

Sharky

Smash Master
meta, you mention at least one of them in practically ever argument you make, just sayin'.

The issue is everyone plays differently. Even the good players play differently. Different regions play differently. Wifi means jack ****. So basically, unless we start playing some of the same people, or set some sort of standard (currently not gonna happen), we're not getting a set match-up summary (we can get close, but you guys need to stop flaming each other and be constructive for once), and certainly not getting any ratios.

Me, I'm just getting back into the tourney scene, so I don't consider myself very fit to contribute much, yet, at least not in many match-ups. I'm getting there, though.

Shadowblazen

Smash Cadet
Yes but, I think it doesn't make a bit of difference guys. The eggs are inert.

Okay on a more serious note, why don't you just theorycraft at the mid/high-level of play for your matchups, while checking the other boards matchup threads to make sure that the points being brought up aren't completely erraneous? It's better to have semi-accurate matchup discussions, summaries and ratios than to not have any at all. You guys aren't the jiggz boards. I mean, that, or you could all show up at Bwett's house and say "now, no more cookies until you post!!"

Airborne

Smash Lord
okokokokokok

i think i know a process of steps where we can get to a point where EVERYONE can contribute to the Match-Up Discussions:
1) shut yo ***** *** up, get rid of yo mom johns, and attend more tournies; people facing a yoshi will most likely begin to learn the match-up and will be able to contribute
2) shut yo ***** *** up, and hack yo wii so you can get unlimited replay length and ****, so y'all can review over them, and even upload em so people can discuss.
3) shut yo ***** *** up, quit saying you're yoshi for life, and try picking up a character you want to learn the match-up of; you'll learn the inside and out of the character, and know how to fight them.
4) shut yo ***** *** up, get some instant messaging account, and converse with a perosn who knows what the hell they're talking about from the other side of the match-up; maybe even play them in a match or 7!
5) shut yo ***** *** up, AIRBORNE!!!

edit: also, i believe it would be an even greater idea for the other character's summary of the match-up to be posted with our summary of it; we will see it from their perspective, know their options and intentions of the match-up, and it will put us in their shoes. =)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
OH ****! Someone that makes sense these days! OMGGAW!!!!! *explodes*
<3

I never mentioned any of those three yoshies, just that the majority of people don't know the matchup. Learn2read.

The same problem was in the jigglypuff boards. All her matchups ended up being near even because people were basing it off of bad people or people who lacked the proper matchup knowledge to completely destroy jiggs. It takes awhile to learn how to use yoshi's blindspot in your favor, don't act like people automatically know the MU.
meta, you mention at least one of them in practically ever argument you make, just sayin'.

The issue is everyone plays differently. Even the good players play differently. Different regions play differently. Wifi means jack ****. So basically, unless we start playing some of the same people, or set some sort of standard (currently not gonna happen), we're not getting a set match-up summary (we can get close, but you guys need to stop flaming each other and be constructive for once), and certainly not getting any ratios.

Me, I'm just getting back into the tourney scene, so I don't consider myself very fit to contribute much, yet, at least not in many match-ups. I'm getting there, though.
Sharky got my back. <3

Yes but, I think it doesn't make a bit of difference guys. The eggs are inert.

Okay on a more serious note, why don't you just theorycraft at the mid/high-level of play for your matchups, while checking the other boards matchup threads to make sure that the points being brought up aren't completely erraneous? It's better to have semi-accurate matchup discussions, summaries and ratios than to not have any at all. You guys aren't the jiggz boards. I mean, that, or you could all show up at Bwett's house and say "now, no more cookies until you post!!"
Only problem is, some of the people around here seriously, seriously down theorycrafting. I DO NOT ADVOCATE THAT THEORIES ARE THE END ALL BE ALL OF THE MU, BUT THEY CAN BE OF USE. Honestly, most of MU discussion is theorycrafting off of experiences. Some theories are more valid than others due to various experiences.

okokokokokok

i think i know a process of steps where we can get to a point where EVERYONE can contribute to the Match-Up Discussions:
1) shut yo ***** *** up, get rid of yo mom johns, and attend more tournies; people facing a yoshi will most likely begin to learn the match-up and will be able to contribute
2) shut yo ***** *** up, and hack yo wii so you can get unlimited replay length and ****, so y'all can review over them, and even upload em so people can discuss.
3) shut yo ***** *** up, quit saying you're yoshi for life, and try picking up a character you want to learn the match-up of; you'll learn the inside and out of the character, and know how to fight them.
4) shut yo ***** *** up, get some instant messaging account, and converse with a perosn who knows what the hell they're talking about from the other side of the match-up; maybe even play them in a match or 7!
5) shut yo ***** *** up, AIRBORNE!!!

edit: also, i believe it would be an even greater idea for the other character's summary of the match-up to be posted with our summary of it; we will see it from their perspective, know their options and intentions of the match-up, and it will put us in their shoes. =)
I lol'd, but it's so true. It's essentially how I managed to do the Ness MU. =P

Also, getting a summary from other character boards can be difficult, because some of them don't have ALL summaries up, and others just have them scattered through 398 pages. It's not organized, like us! :D

Yikarur

Smash Master
The Main Problem is that there are billions of Yoshi Playstyles according to Techskill and Effort.
Its hard to define a match up of a charakter which "Top Level" Playstyle hangs on 4-5 People.

If we discuss match ups at the "Top Level" only this 4-5 Yoshis takes an advantage with.
There are some things in general but there is a huge difference to DR/DT and to not DR/DT
So We have to split the discussion in the techskill area where you can use DR/DT and the general things where you can't. (respectively if you can this section still counts for you too lol)

So its hard to make an Match up Discussion with this variety..

I think Yoshi is the only charakter with that "problem" xP

Metatitan

Smash Master
The Main Problem is that there are billions of Yoshi Playstyles according to Techskill and Effort.
Its hard to define a match up of a charakter which "Top Level" Playstyle hangs on 4-5 People.

If we discuss match ups at the "Top Level" only this 4-5 Yoshis takes an advantage with.
There are some things in general but there is a huge difference to DR/DT and to not DR/DT
So We have to split the discussion in the techskill area where you can use DR/DT and the general things where you can't. (respectively if you can this section still counts for you too lol)

Not really..... lol

Trust me, the variety in how say peach or pikachu can be played is so much more diverse than yoshi its not even funny =/

More options = more diversity

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
The Kirby boards are discussing Yoshi! Any help with the discussion would be greatly appreciated:).

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236395

The matchup is listed as 50-50 in our old matchup thread (NOT the above link), and, looking back on the discussion, it seems like no one knew anything about it and so we listed it as that. I hope it'll be different this time around, lol.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
um i really dont see an obvious yoshi play style there regular then that on that one in europe with da fancy egg lays i really dont see how one playstyle of yosih differs from another. yoshi really doesnt have amny options, which is why he is bad

auroreon

Smash Ace
um i really dont see an obvious yoshi play style there regular then that on that one in europe with da fancy egg lays i really dont see how one playstyle of yosih differs from another. yoshi really doesnt have amny options, which is why he is bad
Don't base the playstyle of every Yoshi in europe on a single player.
As far as I know, I will concede that I do tend to do the egglay tricks you see in Zudenkas videos, but personally I consider him to use egglay a bit too riskily (is that a word?) and often which makes it a bit predictable.

A lot of you seem to be talking about a wide diversity in playstyle between Yoshi mains.
I don't see most of these differences in playstyle to be just that, but differing levels of skill.
Most of the things people tend to do differently with Yoshi I would put down to mistakes and bad habbits, thats not to say that there is one objective way to play Yoshi, just that a lot of the differences in playstyle look to me to be places where some people do something wrong where others do it right.

This includes the use of DT (forget DR, unless you can do it as fast as I can =P), not using it is not a playstyle preference... it is just limiting your options.

Underload

Lazy
The Snake boards are stealing borrowing some of the things you've done in your matchup thread. It won't be a carbon copy, I promise, but some of the stuff that Shiri has done is too good. I hope you don't mind :)

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
hey yall I just took up Yoshi as a Secondary, He is tooooooooooooooo good! :D

So give me (Knowned as Japan from AIB) a warm welcome to the Yoshi boards (^-^)^

Where do I post up new techs and glitches and or strategies? ._.

-Japan-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom