• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread (Updated 01/13/2010) -- Please Submit Ratios and Summaries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hehe, reminds me of my match against Gunblade at Wiegraf. CP'd Wolf on me Game 3, I won anyways.

I believe Diddy to be at least even. I played a good one at Wiegraf as well, although it wasn't a tournament match. We went even, I didn't feel inherently limited nor did I feel that we really limited Diddy at all. I actually liked being able to use Bananas to escape shields and stuff. Also, with the recent wtfhax Japanese tech findings, we have some very interesting tools to use with nanners. I'm very interested in the Infinite Jump, myself.
Cool, im glad that you think diddy is even...
Especially since you went even with a good one in friendlies.
Nice work, i think you might develop the yoshi metagame to the next level, and im happy that you liked being able to use bananas (which should be capitilized) to escape shields, because shields do a lot of damage, and escaping them is good cuz they are scary.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Cool, im glad that you think diddy is even...
Especially since you went even with a good one in friendlies.
Nice work, i think you might develop the yoshi metagame to the next level, and im happy that you liked being able to use bananas (which should be capitilized) to escape shields, because shields do a lot of damage, and escaping them is good cuz they are scary.
The Diddy got 13/45 at the tournament. Xionix

Also, we can throw bananas out of shield with no Shield drop, so we should indeed use bananas to escape shields.

Nice try, though. :)

Metatitan

Smash Master
The Diddy got 13/45 at the tournament. Xionix

Also, we can throw bananas out of shield with no Shield drop, so we should indeed use bananas to escape shields.

Nice try, though. :)
The problem is that even though you gain a legitimate OoS option, you're expecting it to be an amazing OoS option (btw 13/45 as a diddy isn't that impressive, it's okay but nothing to brag about......and of course nothing to be ashamed over as well).

Item Toss OoS *****.....characters like DK and ZSS. Diddy.... not so much. The fact that your shield is up makes your OoS game even more predictable than it already is (considering the unexpected shield grab is gone and your only other options are item toss and spotdodge). Add that to the fact that Diddy has unbelievably good banana control/ability to regrab nanners and item toss OoS isn't such an amazing OoS option anymore.

The double jump tricks and new banana Japanese tricks are cool and useful. Just don't think you'll ever be able to control bananas as well as diddy, no character can.

That being said, I have no opinion on the MU itself, I'm just stating general OoS and item game options.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay, ladies. This is enough conversation to warrant going to the Diddy topic.

Please and thank you.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
My point with the results was just to show he's no scrub that gets last place. :)

I'm aware that Item Toss OoS isn't the best thing ever, but it has it's uses and I personally prefer it to having shield grab. If I was going to shield grab a move, it'd probably be much safer just to throw the nanner and dash grab.

I doubt anyone will ever have as good of a banana game as Diddy. Everything about his moves are perfect for them. We can use them well, at least as far as the new tricks are showing. I'll try to put some of them to use when I get the chance to see how useful they are.

Edit: Ninja'd please don't kill me. D:

Sharky

Smash Master
I've always thought that the link labels "vs yoshi" and "match-up thread" were kinda vague. We should change those so they actually say which one is our thread and which one is theirs.

D

Deleted member

Empty full hop and see their reaction.
If they stay shooting peanuts, i would guess a falling egg lay (facing backwards so they hold shield, thinking ull bair since diddy has the best OOS in the game). Then you attempt to get at least 30% off egg lay reads before diddy gets back to neutral and ur screwed xD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Start infinite jumping, swoop down like batman, grab the banana in front of him as you rising AD, and then fly like an eagle~

Which reminds me. Socks, I beat a ranked player, so you better get to work on that IJ.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I suggest we discuss vs. Sonic, I wanna know exactly what I should be doing, I live by x so I must know lol

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hey, check out how we have a Sonic thread. :D

Please go there. o_o

Now. D:<

D

Deleted member

you shield right and he can't do ****.
False, especially with yoshi, but other characters too, sonic doesnt have trouble with shielding while hes charging a spindash.

I like forcing sonic to commit to something and trying to get a string. You pretty much need to prevent him from starting stuff on you while getting chip damage.

sorry shiri

bigman40

Smash Master
Can we simplify each individual MU into different segments? Close range, Mid, Long, Aerial, what moves help this MU, what moves destroy us, how to get around said moves, what region is best to control, what region is the most threatening to us, etc.
This should be the new method to discussing matchups. Only problem is that no one goes to tourneys and gets better anymore.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I massively object to that statement, Big, considering we have dedicated people here that consistently attend events and improve. I'd love to discuss match ups, but the problem is I don't know where to start with our current system. If we organized it in this manner, it'd be much easier to discuss the match ups.

bigman40

Smash Master
You've should've split my statements in two.

How many other people actually attend events other than the current Yoshis? How many of them are actually going out of their way to get stuff recorded to ask for help and get better? How are they trying to make it aware that they want to get better? I've seen nothing from new people yet that shows any of the questions I've just asked other than the normal group of people here (possibly a few new people have tried that I may have missed, but overall, no).

As for MU discussions, we never had a place to really start cause it was just whatever you could think from the top of your head. While it seemed organized, it was generally a mess of information (making it seem like a brainstorm). The new current system will point out much more flaws and strengths that we have in match-ups and will allow us to understand counter-picking on a much better scale than back to neutrals.

D

Deleted member

Delta is stepping it up, i post videos but nobody cares and i attend what i can and do well, polt traveled all the way to texas, etc.
I mean i agree with scat but we are doin better than weve been doin before.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Big's point was that none of the new Yoshis are really showing this desire to improve. All of the established ones (Hades and I are probably the most recent) are the only ones still showing the drive to play and improve.

I'm trying to get vids when I can. I'll hopefully be attending JG's smashfest tomorrow, and he usually gets a lot of vids going around. There'll be Draft Crews, which I wanna take part in as well. :laugh:

It's really funny, when I check some of the MU threads and see what I used to think back then. I was such a WiFi nub. Thinking that TL wasn't *** for us. :laugh:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Big's point was that none of the new Yoshis are really showing this desire to improve. All of the established ones (Hades and I are probably the most recent) are the only ones still showing the drive to play and improve.
So either I'm already an established Yoshi main (lol), or I don't post videos/ask for critique/post tournament results on a fairly regular basis. <=/ I attend at least one tourney a month (I go to every event held in my area, plus TourneyPlay 4 in February as a bonus), even though university has been keeping me really busy. I think it's safe to say I do all the things addressed in bigman's questions (see: my post in the video thread where I bumped my own vids for the sole purpose of getting critique =P). Yet apparently, nobody tries? >.<

:005:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Firefly, how long have you been around? If you've been attending events for a while, you're established, lol. I don't think anyone around here goes "Who's that?" when you post.

bigman40

Smash Master
While I've been talking about the new yoshi players, we also don't do as much either. We don't nearly help critique on a frequent basis, even if it's one simple thing.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Firefly, how long have you been around? If you've been attending events for a while, you're established, lol. I don't think anyone around here goes "Who's that?" when you post.
Meh, I've been playing for close to a year, but I haven't really accomplished anything noteworthy in tournaments yet, and I rarely contribute to discussions. I guess my definition of "established" is just different. =P

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
^More or less the same for me. I don't usually have anything insightful to say, and I haven't posted really at all lately because there haven't been any new discussions about yoshi's metagame. I'm not the best, because I have difficulty adjusting, and my desire to learn new tech skill died three years ago. I don't post my results because they're not too great, and my matches aren't recorded very often (although that's about to change), but since you guys don't see this stuff very often does that mean you don't think I have the desire to improve? Desire is a two way street. You lift up your skirt and I'll think about drooling. And that was probably the worst metaphor I have ever come up with.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
My sleep schedule will probably start to simulate a European's sleep schedule when I get back home for the summer. And by that, I mean we'll be awake at the same times despite time zones, not "Europeans are nocternal".

...Well, that was awkwardly phrased. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom