• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread: WHAT TIME IS IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
My friend is an awesome Marth (I think he is top Marth in gamebattles) and my most common match is DK vs Marth with him so I think I can add something to this discussion.

The biggest thing I notice in this match up when I use DK is that although its a very close game, Marth definitely has the edge in momentum. Only ftilt max range, dtilt max range, retreating bairs, giant punch, and retreating uairs (lol I know its silly but hey) are safe on block. Dair spike and footstools wreck DK's recovery. DK's shield is too small for DK and he gets shiled poked by ftilts, dtilts, and ac nairs when his shields aren't at max size. The constant barrage of safe approaches and mix ups Marth has is very frustrating and fair combos to uair juggles get ridiculous after a while. DK's size means many reverse fsmash tippers, both hits of dsmash hitting, dsmash hitting you with the first hit when your behind Marth, and other ridiculous moments. What keeps me going is landing that 9 punch/ mind gaming in a charged fsmash, taking him out at like 50%.

His Marth is always in the air so dealing with his sh approaches is the first thing I learned to do. If he gets sloppy (pretty rare) with his fairs shield grabs work well. An upwards angled ftilt is key for DK in this match up. It outreaches Marth's sh options and 12 damage is pretty good. His most annoying approach however for me is the ac nair. It shield stabs, it is pretty strong tippered when DK is 100+%, and ftilt does not work as well since the hitbox lasts awhile and ftilting it too late or early means getting hit. DK's dtilt works very well against this approach because it shrinks DK's hurtbox a lot and Marth's legs are pretty close to the ground. AC nairs hit high so dtilt works wonders here. Once DK has a fully charged giant punch sh approaches can be punched through with practice (especially fairs).

Although DK has trouble with jugglers and Marth is awesome at juggling, DK has a few tricks. When Marth goes for some uair/utilt/usmash juggling at higher percents DK's side b comes in handy. It stalls in the air and resets fast falls so using it wisely can throw off Marth's rhythm but doing it too close to Marth is punishable and pretty dumb. Knowing when to fast fall, airdodge, and double jump also help. To mix it up every now and then do a dair, nair, or fair depending on Marth's relative position and your height while playing around with the fast fall timings. It can be surprising how often they work. Charging the punch high up can bait Marth into thinking he gets free hits but DK can cancel it well before Marth gets to him. If it doesn't bait Marth into using his double jump to chase you get free charge. Another thing to keep in mind is that during DK's up b he has better airspeed than usual so using it to retreat to an edge or a lagless landing on a platform is an option.

Marth is good at juggling but he is also a little weak to juggling. Being below Marth is an awesome position to be in and DK's cargo uthrow is an awesome way to put him there. A jumping cargo uthrow to uair is one of the best KO's you will ever get (KO's before usmash) and Marth will have a hard time stopping it. He can airdodge but then you can do another uair before he finishes the airdodge. If the Marth dairs it is usually too late. If you mindgame in a baited airdodge you could fair or giant punch depending on how much higher Marth is than DK. DK's utilt juggles do not work that well but it still leaves Marth in a bad position where he either airdodges the next one and punishes DK or Marth just got baited into airdodging and gets punished with something else like a dsmash.

Gimping DK is not that easy if the player knows how to control his up b and that sometimes the way forward is really backing up a little bit. My friend is a very aggressive edge guarder so getting back to the stage is always a tough fight. The first trick I have learned is that fair really works. It works because it is disjointed (DK has arms of steel). It makes sure Marth doesn't get too close if you space it correctly. A lot of times that means backing up. Marth does not have a great horizontal recovery so he cannot afford to chase you too far and fairs give you some breathing room (or Marth gets hit). Another trick to not getting gimped is mastering D's up b. Most DK's I have seen look like they do not know you can go backwards/ slow down DK's up b. This is mostly for when DK is high enough to get on the stage without the ledge because otherwise they could be smart and just edge hog DK if they see this coming. It makes easy edgeguards like Marth's edge hopped dair ineffective.

Gimping Marth is pretty hard but still doable. Cargo stage spike can work but if DK is too slow or Marth doesn't have enough damage he can footstool DK to death (my friend is a mashing machine though so this happened a lot). Cargo dthrow is an excellent set up for edge guards. If Marth used up his double jump before being grabbed and didn't land its an easy gimp since his up b has no horizontal range and he doesn't get his double jump back. Weak bairs and weak nairs (the nonsweetspot that does 8 damage for both) can gimp from a cargo dthrow at low damage since he can't really DI up from really weak hits. DK's up edgestall is very good makes edge hogging Marth a little easier. Bair edge guards do ok for DK too but most of the time Marth will try to recover low so it is only good when they try to recover from high up. Marth survives spikes pretty well but after like 50% he should die if you land one.

Dancing blade used to bug me a lot but now that I know how to deal with it, it's not too bad. When blocked DK can shield grab after the third hit. A nasty trick I learned is DI'ing up during the multi hit 4th db and side b to punish it. It works and he never does that anymore lol. Shield breaker renders DK's shield useless if DK blocks it. He mostly uses it as an edge hopped poke (pretty effective to boot) but if Marth ever tries to mindgame in a charged shieldbreaker or just delay it thinking DK will spotdodge I just stay barely out of range and charge an fsmash which really hurts. Up b out of shield is annoying but when DK has 50% or less he can punish an up b that hits him with DI and fast falling. Counter is all about mindgames so nothing to really say about it besides charge a smash if Marth does it on reaction to your smash attacks.

I copy pasted my reply from the Marth match up thread. I think this deserves to get some exposure here where it might help some DK mains and the other thread this is in is pretty dead.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I explained why aerials don't clank earlier in the thread, but for a character standpoint, dk's bair beats marths fair.

also, the following are safe on block if properly spaced. dtilt, ftilt, fsmash, retreating bair, downb, neutral b, aerial sideb.

fairs while returning can come up big for you if the marth is aggressive, because they probably think they can get in a fair before yours happens (it's a bug zapper affect)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
F-tilt isn't safe as far as I have seen.

Marth can shield drop to DB.

D-tilt I have to test, but Marth might be able to up b. I do know that Marth's tilts do outrange DK's d-tilt by a tiny margin.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Marth's advantage. Maybe 60-40, but it might even be a little more, but idk.

DK can't do his strong attacks in this fight, because Marth can counter them... And you can't attack so well, because Marth has nearly as much range as DK has, but DK extends his hurtbox, so DK will get hit pretty easily, and Marth not.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
i dont have much expierence fighting Donkey Kongs, but what I do know, it's definitly Marth's advantage. Donkey doesn't have the ability to fight with smashes cause they're easily countered. If he spot-dodges you much likely screwed by a Side-B (forgot name), which racks up near 20 damage. You're best bet is have loaded B attack and side B marth into the ground and smack him out.

Marth's recovery exceeds Donkey Kong's in height, but not in sideways. When you do an up-B for recovery, Marth could: Spike you, d-tilt, forward smash at exact place, or let you recover. Obvious spike
being obvious, your gonna be spiked by a good Marth or be hit any way by a bad Marth. My advice: dont get lower than the edge or you might get in serious danger.
When my Marth is hit in the upper corner of a screen, im gonna charge my tipper and recover back up, saving jumps, and have a nice unexpected up-B ready.

Watch out for Marths short hop double f-air approach, it'll cut right trough you. just block it and quickly jab him.

For stages i'd say Battlefield or Jungle Japes, last one owning Marth badly.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
F-tilt isn't safe as far as I have seen.

Marth can shield drop to DB.

D-tilt I have to test, but Marth might be able to up b. I do know that Marth's tilts do outrange DK's d-tilt by a tiny margin.
Actually DK's dtilt outranges Marth's utilt and dtilt (barely). Shield drop to db will whiff if DK's ftilt is at max range from what I have tried. Marth has to dash a bit first to hit with it and at max range the second db hit will whiff so its not much punishment anyway. Also for some reason buffering db does not allow you continue the db combo. Dtilt at max range (the window is pretty small though) is also safe.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
also, getting around counters isn't hard, i usually just fake a quick smash and hold it when they counter, its not smart to try it, it gives me a nice charge.

The Director

Smash Lord
I honestly think DK has the advantage here. DK spaces Marth nicely, accept in the air. His fair is almost useless against Marth. The only real wildcard here is Marth's counter.

DK gets eaten alive if Marth spams counter. If not he can toss Marth around and easily knock him out with the dsmash. (plus uh, stage spike lol)

Coffee™

I need it....
ok, pit we'll redo later because no one has experience, I personally think that the match slowly gets into dk's favor the more you play, once you learn to ftilt the arrows and smash di all his multi hits, but we'll do it later
Ironically, the Pit boards just recently started our matchup against DK, so if you guys could spare some time to help out there it would be appreciated. It would also probably help you guys out at a later date when you get back around to Pit. :)

This is the link for the thread. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197128

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
emblem, dk's bair beats out marths fair, there is no aerial priority, but all aerials are disjointed, its just the level of disjointedness that decides aerial priority, and dk's bair is actually quite disjointed, not as much as some of game and watches bair, but it is more disjointed than marths fair

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
emblem, dk's bair beats out marths fair, there is no aerial priority, but all aerials are disjointed, its just the level of disjointedness that decides aerial priority, and dk's bair is actually quite disjointed, not as much as some of game and watches bair, but it is more disjointed than marths fair
I believe you are mistaken. DK's bair will only tade at best against Marth's fair. The only reason people think DK's bair has crazy priority is because it is fast and has good reach, meaning most of the time you can hit them before or during the start up of their aerials. Marth's fair is even faster and is disjointed. If both hitboxes come out at the same time they will trade only if both reach each others hurtbox. Because DK's foot is a hurtbox and a hitbox it can only trade hits at best if it collides with another attack and since Marth's fair does not have a hurtbox he is able to hit DK out of his bair without getting hit. DK cannot hit Marth out of his fair without getting hit. DK's bair is very slightly disjointed since it hits a bit further than hit foot goes out but the level of disjointedness (the distance between hitbox and hurtbox) is not even close too any of Marth's aerials.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Big O, all aerials are disjointed, marth has a a lot of large disjoints, but dk's bair does not extend his hurtbox, dk's only aerial with a bad disjoint is nair

I have hit several marths out of their fairs

Tujex

Smash Ace
DK outranges Falcon in just about every asset of his game. Speed isn't a factor when the Captain can't even get in close enough to score a hit or land a knee.

ook

Smash Lord
I dunno, I actually have some trouble against the captain. I think it is his speed, and the fact that DK is such a huge target.

Maybe it's just me though :O

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The problem with this whole "random character" thing is that you'll get matchups that don't matter at all in a competitive setting. Like this one. And nobody gives a crap about how to beat CF anyways.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Yeah this is kind of ridiculous. Nobody plays Falcon. Can we do a match up that's might actually be useful?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
heres why I'm stalling on metaknight, I think that the footstool headbutt can swing the matchup in dk's favor, but no one can do it consistently in tournament play yet, so I wanna wait until that gets developed and applied before calling the matchup

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Being a (former?) Snake main and now using DK as a second, I'm pretty sure this is a fairly even matchup. Although, the only DK I played against with Snake was Ripple, so I'm not extremely experienced in that matchup per se.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok, dk has a few tricks against snake, I think everyones seen the cargo dthrow to spike

he can also utilt juggle him, and chase his landings with running usmashes

most of the snakes I've played started camping the middle of the stage to avoid spikes, this is when you start juggling them, they don't have much of an air game, but if they try to land with bairs, punish with either a footstool headbutt, or whatever you think will land (might be able to get a dsmash or punch off)

more later

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's a well established fact, that DK has an advantage here. Whether this is true or not...Idk, although I think so. DownB destroys Snakes tilt game and his mortar slide - his best approach. His aerial game is balls vs DK, so lots of uthrows->uair can help here too

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
No, DK does not have an advantage on Snake. He has an even matchup, if not slightly in Snake's advantage. His aerial game is actually quite good against DK since DK is huge which is fodder for his Dair/Nair, and his Bair/Uair have crazy priority. If a DK down B's against me, I can just Bair him or throw a nade onto him.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I think it's a fairly even match-up. Both have crazy power and range. Both can kill at low percentages. Snake has a sick ground game, but DK can conquer in air. Both have to watch out for each other since this is such an even match-up.

DK ***** Snake in off-stage combat, but on ground, things shift for Snake's advantage. His tilts are broken, his Mortar slide, c4's, Nikita, and Claymores make it kind of difficult to approach properly.

I'd say an unbalanced 50/50. It easily tilts either way, but I'll leave it at half-and-half for right now.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
good cp's against snake
japes - high ceilings mean he doesn't kill well
cruise - can't setup camp
brinstar - normal ceiling, but really short blastzones, meaning you still kill much earlier

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
then for snakes, do what i do against falcos, think loudly to yourself about banning a stage (for falco, its japes, for snake, brinstar), and then ban something else, like castle siege or corneria, so you get to stages that you can use to your advantage, then when and if you get to cp, go with the other one (brinstar for falco, japes for snake, or just go luigis mansion)

dk is a better horizontal killer than snake, and you've seen ripples thread so you know the dumb things he can do.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Brinstar is a good place to take Snake, because his nades roll when he shield drops them. All you need to do against Snake is get him off his feet, which is quite easily accomplished on Brinstar. Of course, Rainbow cruise is the obvious counterpick against him, but most Snakes ban the stage. And Japes is also a great counterpick against him too.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'd say Snake has a bit of an advantage. The reason is his ftilt. DK can't come through it, and it's a pretty hard fight for me. It's MUCH easier with Diddy Kong... so I'd say 55-45 for Snake...

And Jungle Japes seems like a good CP. Nearly all of Snakes kills are vertical, and Snake can't really outcamp you good at Japes, because his projectiles are way too slow.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, but isn't Snake's ftilt faster than DK's? So, you kinda have to do it before he does. And if you clank him, he'll just ftilt again and hit you.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Snake's ftilt is really **** fast lol.
And JJ is a good cp yeah.

Really, I'd say it's even 5-5. Yeah you can spike him EASILY if he doesn't know what he's doing, and down-b and ftilt can outrange him and stop his ground approaches, but he can just sit back and toss grenades at you.... The nades are always what gets me....

EDIT: oh ****, 100th post

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Okay seriously all you have to do to beat snake is grab him and start throwing him not down because the nade he has will explode. If you back throw him and rush him down it's hard for any snake to counter throws. Secondly you have to know that once you begin to throw them there thats when the match becomes stupid easy for DK. If they camp you just know your range use D B because they can't really punish you unless your under C4 Grenades will hit you, just stop roll away. If they dodge up B and do a bunch of damage and if they dodge out of the air grab them. Trust me this is seriously and easy 6:4 Almost a 7:3 in my eyes and trust me I play a lot....a lot of snakes.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Now thats what you do on stage if he's near the edge grab->cargo away from the stage->low throw off stage either Jump spike if he cyphers if he starts to dodge grab repeat till he's forced to use cypher. Super easy gimps like crazy.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Oh well thank you...but yeah I realized over the past I don't know 2 weeks the only reason I've ever lost to snake other than when they are really good at reading my game and thats only Dozer who I play with all the time. I lose because I mess up gimps and such. Otherwise I pwn snakes left and right and the only thing that was stopping me from getting to the top was DDD but no longer a new tricksies.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Are there any videos you can upload of this Snake ownage? Sounds interesting. Ahahah, just found them in the video thread.

What was that about DDD?

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I can't share my secret right now but I think you'll find out pretty soon. But let me see I will start uploading vids of me against reno smash or just type CBK DK in youtube. By the way there is another guy using my tag that plays Pikachu....**** him. I'm going to have to name match him.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Just because this hasn't already been mentioned and this board is dead. I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this anyway but DK's down b detonates snake's down smash mines safely from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom