• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

D

Deleted member

These so called "back rooms" are completely unnecessary. Also elitist.
They are both unnecessary and elitist, but we still enjoy them.

If you want to ***** about something fine, but you can drop the personal attacks and stop trying to exert control where you don't actually have any.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
These so called "back rooms" are completely unnecessary. Also elitist.

This whole exclusive club mentality needs to be eliminated from the minds of people everywhere. I propose starting here.
The reforms that we're making to the backroom is actually designed to address these concerns (among other things). We intend to make our discussions publicly viewable, and to engage the community more often. We also want to make it abundantly clear that the MBR is not here to tell anyone what to do. We will only present the results/summary of discussions that the MBR has had; what people do with that information is up to them. Our main objective, like the mission statement says, is to stimulate the community. The MBR in the past couple years was indeed somewhat superfluous aside from tier lists and whatnot, but we have new direction now. If it turns out to be worthless, then we will abandon it.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the backroom creates a bigger social gap between popular smashers and new smashers.
Yes, it does to some degree in some people, but this is true of any kind of hierarchy, and the fact remains that in any situation where organization is needed to achieve a goal, it's prudent to recognize that some people are better than other at certain things and to create a structure that takes advantage of that, where some people have more decision making power than others. And you are correct that there is subjectivity in 'who gets in the club' or 'whose ideas are best,' but it's not an intractable problem. I don't think it makes sense to abandon all hierarchical organizations because it might make some people feel like they aren't part of a club - that solution is disproportionate to the problem. Perhaps you/we should instead try to get people to get over their misplaced feelings of inferiority from not being in the club, or rather, all feelings of superiority/inferiority in general from such things.

To me it seems that you are coming up with your own explanation of why the MBR exists because you personally don't see any benefit to it; you 'know' it's wrong, and so all that's left for you to do is to explain how other people could come to a belief that is so wrong. Your misrepresentation of the discussion as "you guys simply don't like what I'm saying, and are lashing out" is evidence of this. You've spoken a lot less about what people believe/do compared to why they believe/do it, which is condescending and elitist in itself, and I expect that if anyone tried to address your points in such a way, you'd get just as indignant as people have towards you.

It's unfortunate, because you have valid concerns but you choose to articulate them in an inflammatory manner that is inevitably going to get people angry at you. Of course, being a 'jerk' doesn't automatically mean you're wrong, and I don't want to imply that (and by the same token, people getting angry at you doesn't mean they're just wrong and being defensive). However, If your goal is really to attempt to change people's minds about things, why do you throw around insults and ad hominems? I'm sure you are aware that talking to people like that won't change people's minds (whether it 'should' or not), so why do it? Maybe some people DO only argue with you because they don't like what you're saying, but thanks to your abrasiveness, you can't tell the difference between them and people who are just genuinely frustrated with your manner of discussion, or people who are "counter-trolling." It seems to me that instead you came to this discussion looking for a fight and to validate your own beliefs: if anyone gets mad/frustrated, well, you can brush them off cause they're just lashing out cause you called them on their BS and they don't like what you're saying. Maybe that's an unfair conjecture, but it's just as unfair as you coming here and saying we only made the MBR because we want to feel superior to other people.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
Cactuar you should just give the winners of this application a :troll: icon instead of the :melee: icon or perhaps a fusion of the two

:awesome:

frotaz37

Smash Lord
As if my goal is to change people's minds :rolleyes:

Doesn't work unless they're willing to have their minds changed in the first place.

Perhaps you/we should instead try to get people to get over their misplaced feelings of inferiority from not being in the club, or rather, all feelings of superiority/inferiority in general from such things.
Perhaps people in here should get over their misplaced feelings of defensiveness in regards to my "abrasiveness", or rather, all feelings of defensiveness/anger in general from such things.

See what I did there? I can call a persons feelings misplaced to justify my actions too.

Doesn't do a very good job of making me look like less of a huge douche, does it?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Maybe it's because you're trying your damnedest to look like one. If your goal is not to change people's minds, then what do you seek? Argumentation for the sake of it?

By the way, what's up with deciding on behalf of everyone else whether they're "willing to have their minds changed in the first place"? I'm sure there are at least several besides yourself who have their own concerns about things like the legitimacy, necessity, and/or effect of the MBR within the community, and if you weren't intent on taking the most extreme position on that and throwing insults at anyone wanting to disagree with you, maybe there'd actually be something to talk about. Maybe.

As it is, you're instead literally confirming that you're only here to troll.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Maybe it's because you're trying your damnedest to look like one. If your goal is not to change people's minds, then what do you seek? Argumentation for the sake of it?
I seek nothing.

By the way, what's up with deciding on behalf of everyone else whether they're "willing to have their minds changed in the first place"?
People are only willing to change their minds if they recognize that if they are wrong, they will have to change things about their lives, and are okay with that. Do you think that's a good description of most smashers? I certainly don't.

I'm sure there are at least several besides yourself who have their own concerns about things like the legitimacy, necessity, and/or effect of the MBR within the community, and if you weren't intent on taking the most extreme position on that and throwing insults at anyone wanting to disagree with you, maybe there'd actually be something to talk about. Maybe.
I never directly insulted anyone for disagreeing with me. Did you even read the thread? I insulted people for insulting me and simply dismissing what I say with phrases like "Shut the **** up". But no, somehow I'm doing something wrong? Please. Am I not allowed to have opinions about the smash community? Because that's pretty much what I'm being told.

By the way, isn't it funny how any view that isn't sugar coated with bull**** is considered extreme?

As it is, you're instead literally confirming that you're only here to troll.
OKAY BRO.

pockyD

Smash Legend
well i definitely think if it's the case it takes the leadership group of 3-ish people 2 months to make the decisions on something this basic, it's going to be impractical to expect a group of 20-30 to ever be productive within a reasonable span of time

Dnyce

Smash Master
Brains run on glucose, so I'm not too worried about it.
Brains consume protein when they are damaged. All neurotransmitters come from proteins as well.

I was going to post on other stuff, but HyugaRicdeau has become my hero instead :)

rhan

Smash Hero
Welcome to the internet. Where not a lot of things matter or make much sense.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO BE WARNED TO FIX EVERYONE'S HURT FEELINGS?!?!?!?!?!

I hope less than 20.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Shouldnt you be out on a cruise playing shuffleboard of dying of old age somewhere? Do your grandkids know you're on the internet?
Your cell phone's scrambing your brain, boy! Go play with your 646 fifth generation Pokemon.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I have a feeling there will be an announcement very soon.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I have a feeling there will be an announcement very soon.
This got me hyped, lol.

Frotaz... now you're degenerating into straight-up flaming and being rude. You're not going to change a years-old precedent that way... correct me if I'm wrong.

Especially with Cactuar up in here. <33

:troll:

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
Smashboards Username: I forgot it, sorry :(
Region: Germany
Primary Character(s): Falco, Falcon
Secondary Character(s): Fox, Marth, Peach, DK

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Spring 2008

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. most likely every 2-3 Months, even though these are small tournaments mostly. therefore, im very familiar with the regional scene. I didnt attend to many international tourneys, 2 to be exact, the latest one was BEAST in Sweden, which took place in january 2011.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Im considering myself an average player. Not 2 many chances at bigger Tourneys, but able to win smaller, local tournaments which i actually did.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. From the naive perspective yes, since a few people often ask for my advice and help. But since there is hardly any1 from these active on smashboards or even the backroom, i hardly doubt that.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. No. I rarely come up with a new theory, i dont like ordering others around and im most likely not the one, who gives the final conclusion. I rather give my opinion, talk objectly and try to solve problems occuring.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. Well i cant answer this question too well. I often house people, organizing small "tourneys" every 2 months or so, but threse are normally with not more than 10Ppl, wouldnt count that as "TO". However, i tried to host a big tournament twice, which was canceled due to to few interested ppl.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. Depends on the Point of View. Its not Results-based at all, but more likely opinion-based i guess ( im not yet participating in BR discussion u see, so i only CAN guess). Therefore i think, it represents the conscious perception of players, not the theoretical horizon. The latter is, however, the data a tier list should give. Based on this i would say "no". But since i feel comfortable with the current one, im unsecure about my final answer.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. Im fine with it. Putting PS out of neutral stages was a wise desicion, the transformations are so stupid i could vomit everytime i see some1 camping there.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. Yes. Its been stable through years with just small changes, the striking system is very good, and so the counterpicking system is.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. Oh well. Lets divide this .
First of all , i wouldnt put any of these above the other in terms of priority. U cant be good with just one of these. Combining them is they key to victory.

For me in personal, tech skill would be more important however, since im playing for entertainment and want ppl to "Ohhh" when seeing me play. This also depends on character. Being able to multishine constantly wont make ur jiggs any better.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Well you could guess from my statement above. First Hit is what you get for good spacing and reading. Making combos ot of it is what u want to aquire .

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Haha nice question. Well which game does not have ? even Starcraft has its limits. Luckily , the sequel to Melee is so bad it makes me laugh. However, i havent found another game which such a motivation to play over and over, so i guess melee will be goin on for a while. At least until Smash 4, which i doubt to be good.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. Advertisment wouldnt change too much. Players liking this game will find their way by any time. Helping players learn the game is the key. Just recently, i began teaching one of my friends competitive smash. He played it for a long time , but just for fun cuz he couldnt imagine anyone playing it serious until i showed him. If more People would teach others , im sure our community wil grow. Also, giving brawl members a chance to explore melee will help surely.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. Good Reasoning. I often saw new rules etc. being announced without any background information. People should be able to understand why decisions are made.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I can look upon things from different points of view. Im objective (except brawl lol, it sucks :>) and i often think about what could be improved. Also, i can not only give critique, but can handle it for myself as well. I care for the melee community, since i cant let brawl take over at all. Therefore im alyways trying to keep the activity to a maximum.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281889

i. Description: Mango interview, was trying to help others as well as giving background information.

2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274974

i. Description: Nothin to do with melee, but the community i guess. I closed it a long time ago, since the signature system at swf is terrible imo.

3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...08#post9927408

i. Description: Just my participation at Tier list disussion.
not too much though.

4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...18#post8504618

i. Description: Just some random melee love, just want this section to be filled :p

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: HuGs

i. Reason: Always provides great posts, thinking before writing. He cares about the Meleecom and proved many times hes worthy of being one of the most known smashers.

2. Player: WaK

i. Reason: haha this name is quite rare for u to see i guess. However, this guy is the one who brought me to melee afterall. And i know, im not the only one. What he has done to the community with this great videos and tutorials can hardly be reached by anyone.

3. Player: Luma

i. Reason: Maybe its because i know him in person or cuz hes from the same country as me. However, i didnt see any1 helping others out so much as him. Not only he has likely the best knowledge of Melee in germany, he always offer his help at tournaments and tries to keep the melee scene alive. Since i was gettin into the smash com, i havent seen anyone with that much afford.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?

1. Answer: i read it yeah. There are parts where i agree, others where i disagree. The Scrub part is most likely true. The way he explained the achievment of new counters and tactis is also very good. Even though, i think playing for can also result in devasting matches, and i doubt top players always having more fun than ppl playin for fun. Especially in Melee, there are so many things yet to discover ( just look at Perfect dark , or even the latest Zhu vs Lovage match, where ppl where "OHH" ing [ Like u and me too i guess] for the last stock in match 4, where he simply used wavedash fastfall, but in a way u rarely see it). So the game design part is also true. The Akuma example is also very fitting, however, i dont understandt too much about street fighter, so i wont talk about the other parts..

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:

meow. ah : brawl sucks ._.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
^in case no one knows, WaK made the "SSBM Advanced How To Play" videos.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I thought everyone knew that. That's like the first thing to show new players once they've been hooked by the hype.

D

Deleted member

addressed to everyone in this thread:

for every cow you don't eat, I'll eat 6.

Top Bottom