• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

JPOBS

Smash Hero
JPOBS, apparently doesn't like me.
lol no, you legitimately slipped my mind for some reason. don't take it personally. still, for whatever reason, raynex/unknown/vwins/all of WC didn't apply. *shrugs*

idk, why is this true? Couldn't you significantly improve your knowledge and or skill level over a year or so?
Kinda pretty much this. To be put in a less warrior-like way, There are always contributions/projects/discussions you can take part in to be noticed by MBR members. Remember, we're active members within the online and offline communities, so you can show us through your improving skill in tournaments or consistent, intelligent discussion here in the Melee Specific forum.
I see. thanks for the responses.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
What are you talking about we need more Falco players he's a terrible, underdeveloped character with virtually no good matchups.

We should be developing him instead of so many people ****ing a broken character like Falcon.

Freakin dodging the censor...... ok what

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Those in the Melee Back Room Back Room Back Room are sure to appreciate your contributions.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
If you're looking for the results of the first wave, it's in the second post, not the first.

if you just want us to update who has posted an application since then, I'll do it later.

unknown522

Some guy
Here's my app:

Smashboards Username: Unknown522
Region: Toronto, Canada
Primary Character(s): Fox
Secondary Character(s): Falco/Marth

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Almost 6 years.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend Pretty much every local tournament. I am very familiar with my local/regional scene, and the international scene.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. If there was a middle point of High level and Pro, I believe that would be me.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Definitely. They know that I am very knowledgeable with the game and I teach majority of the local players about the game's mechanics and characters.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. I used to be one in the MBR, but then I stepped down.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I am going to be organizing my first series of monthly tournaments starting from August 6th. I have helped out with some of the local ones with seeding and making players play their matches.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. I don't 100% agree with it, but I think it is pretty well done. So yes, I do think it is accurate. I also got to take part in voting, so I know what type of discussions helped form the current tier list.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. No. I think that Brinstar and Rainbow cruise are really stupid levels. They take away from the conventional competitive gameplay and turns it into something else (air battles, or hit and run, or a race to be in the front part of the moving stage, etc). There are quite a couple of characters that have no chance of competing there, and they also give other characters huge advantages vs most of the cast. Kongo junge is pretty bad for this, but I don't think it's as bad as the other 2.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. No, I think that it's unfair that metaknight is banned <_<. Being serious though, I think that the ruleset is fine, aside from what I said about the stages. I also noticed that wobbling isn't mentioned in the rules, though I personally think that it should be banned.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. Both. I think that I have a lot of good strategeys, but then I fail with tech skill a lot and it gets really frustrating. I think tech skill is only important enough for being able to execute what you want to. I think that flashy tech skill is unecessary.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Initiating punishments is more important. Combos aren't the end-all-be-all for competetive fighting games. Making sure your hits connect is much more important. You may not even have to perform combos is you can avoid getting hit, or just hit them first all the time. Obviously combos are important, but it doesn't compare to first hits.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. I don't really think so. SF2 has been going on forever and other games like 3rd Strike are coming back into popularity. I think the same could be said for SSBM.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. I had a discussion with KirbyKaze a couple of months ago about other competitive scenes (like MtG, Starcraft, Street Fighter, Pokemon) and how some of them have live talkshows, podcasts, and/or write large articles about their game's general mechanics, gameplay, and characters with a bunch of pro/high level players. I think that SSBM could do that too (though we recently started that Smash talk show).

Also, having video guides for characters as well. It would definitely help some of the lower level players improve if they have visual examples to work with.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. same as 13. Also, if the MBR decided to host a big tournament then that would also be cool.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I have a lot of knowledge about the game, that a lot of people don't know about Aside from the technical mathematics part, I know majority of the game really well. It's probably just from playing it so long and so much.

Also, a lot of my theories about the game usually end up being correct.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link:
i. Description: The second melee matchup chart. Though it ended up being for nothing but it had a good run
2. Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/unknown522?feature=mhee
i. Description: My youtube channel. I have been trying to get my local community some exposure. We have some decent players that the rest of the world doesn't know about, or had not known about for a long time.
3. Link: can't post one
i. Description: I was in the MBR before and took part in the new tier list and stage list through voting and character discussion. I think that some of my posts made at least a small impact.
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Kirbykaze
i. Reason: Gives good arguements in general (I don't have any links to back this up though) and also doesn't over/underrate his character as well.
2. Player: Hax$
i. Reason: same reason
3. Player:
i. Reason:

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I really dislike David Sirlin

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS: I am a person who doesn't like to troll/being trolled during a serious discussion. There is a time and place for most things.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Any plans for the next wave of admissions? I'm feeling so very left out.
I'm sorry about the delay. While the regional leaders of the BR could take care of the review by themselves, I'm usually the one starting it, updating the list of applicants with all the info and stuff like that.

But I've been and I'm currently really busy with university and work, and I haven't been able to do it. If no one does it, I'll take care of it when I'll come back from my trip to Genesis, in the 4th week of July.

Sorry about that.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I don't know if I was purged or what, but something weird was going on with my account just now (inbox was flooding and all my user groups wiped clean.)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know if I was purged or what, but something weird was going on with my account just now (inbox was flooding and all my user groups wiped clean.)
Are there any other MBR members that this happened to as well? If this happened to you please let me know either in this thread or via VM/PM.

leffen

Smash Champion
might as well...

Smashboards Username: Leffen
Region: Stockholm, Sweden (Europe)
Primary Character(s): Falco, Yoshi
Secondary Character(s): Fox

REQUIRED

A. I've been playing for about 1 and a half year and before that I fooled around a bit on brawl WiFi.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend tournaments about once per month because that's simply how often they are held here in Sweden/Europe.
I'm very familiar with my local/regional scene (Sweden) and I have decent familiarity with Europe's scene, especially the northern part. I'd say that I have a pretty good understanding about the international scene too, although I've only been to one american tournament (Genesis 2) I keep myself updated through smashboards, videos etc.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. I'd classify myself as a borderline pro player.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. I haven't really asked anyone about their opinion but I think most people in my region know that I have a good understanding of the game and like to frequently discuss matchups and rulesets.

A. I've always loved to argue and I often take things up for discussion when I see fit so I guess so.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. No, I'm not a TO but I try to help as much as possible during tournaments and I try to keep our local scene active by arranging small smash fests and by giving new players tips etc.
I was supposed to help host a tournament at Dreamhack this summer but it, sadly, fell through.

A. I think the top/high tier are about as accurate as you can aim for with a tier list but I don't agree with the mid/low/bottom tiers at all, and I'd like future tier lists to discuss them more thoroughly.

A. I don't think that having RC/BS/KJ64 is a good choice for competitive tournaments. While these stages could be argued to be underdeveloped in today's metagame I think that they just force degenerate play styles. I like the European stage list/rule set way more, and I've never really understood the need for a stage ban tbh.

A. I think that it is not horrible, it is certainly pretty outdated and a bit lacking. I'd like to see a controller mod rule with justification over each "ban" to be added (much like the one that was used at Genesis 2 but with more explanation for clarification). A controller port rule should also be implemented by default that allows any player to force "neutral" controller ports to be used by both players. Oh and a anti-coaching rule should be in along with match manipulation rules etc that included in the Genesis 2 rule set. Since those rules aren't in the recommended rule set and most people don't read rulesets at the tournament they are often forgotten).

A. Strategy. While Tech skill is essentially the skill to be ably to perform strategies as you planned them Tech skill is constantly overrated by a lot of people in todays metagame.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. First hits is what makes you able to do combos in the first place so naturally they are more important.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. I don't think it has that much of a limit as a competitive game because of its age as long as there is a viable platform to play it on (If/When Nintendo stops making Wiis and Gamecube controllers it will be much harder to keep the scene alive due to people lacking setups at home and especially at tournaments). The only thing really endangering the scene would be a good sequel (aka not another brawl).

A. First of I think we need to be more professional as a community. We need to advertise more on public spots such as
conventions and I think we would really benefit if we could get in new players from Machinima.com and various gaming sites by uploading good introduction/tutorial videos that show off the great competitive community melee has. I also think we need to get way better at livestreaming and commentary overall. We usually have very little explanation onscreen during livestreams and the constant memes and stupid inside jokes make it much harder for new players to get into the scene.
High quality, spoiler free Youtube videos such as Ajp_anton's really help too imo.

A. I think the MBR most important task is to establish and improve a internationally approved ruleset which can be the go-to ruleset to most competitive tournaments, enabling new and old players to skip all the problems that comes with not being used to a specific stage/rule.

A. I think the MBR would benefit from having a active, serious player from Europe. To my understanding you have no high level players outside of north America in the MBR atm (except for Aniolas, who doesn't care for singles )which makes the MBR lacking in not only PAL experienced players but also about how the rulesets and tournaments in europe are perceived by high level players.
To that I am one of the best (probably the best active one) Yoshi mains, one of the most underrepresented and underused characters of all time. The MBR needs more low tier players, it already has tons of top tier mains already.
I have by myself (and to some degree with V3ctormans help) developed Yoshi's metagame by quite a large bit. Techniques such as parrying, shield dropping (extra useful with yoshi ofc) and 100% invisibility ledge stall has seen little to no use before recently and I believe Yoshi is one of the most underrated characters in the game.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12872832#post12872832
i. Description: A thorough explanation of the falco-luigi matchup.
2. Link:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10877890#post10877890
i. Description: A couple of tips/tricks with yoshi along with some important frame data.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Dr PeePee
i. Reason: Dr Peepee takes a lot of time discussing with new players, reviewing their videos and giving them new tips.
A great example for how to help the community and a outstanding player with good understanding too.
2. Player: Lolex
i. Reason: He currently almost carries the swedish scene by himself. He frequently hosts great, well run nationals and he also hosts the BEAST international series, which has really helped to keep the european the scene alive.
3. Player: Aniolas
i. Reason: He is a great discussion leader with reasonable, well explained arguements and also runs the BEAST series.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I heavily agree with almost everything Sirlin says, but I think that a lot of people take the "play to win" concept to far. For example, playing to win every single friendly doesn't really help you as much as playing to learn generally does.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
I know I have trolled/spammed way too much on the forums but I do aim to change on that :)

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Smashboards Username: Stabbedbyanipple
Region: Socal
Primary Character(s): Falco
Secondary Character(s): Fox

REQUIRED

A. Since November/December 2008

A. I attend tournaments at least once a month, usually twice. I'm super familiar with the local scene since I host monthlies and travel to each area in socal often. I know of pretty much everyone noteworthy in the scene, and know a lot of them personally through travelling for large tournaments.

A.I feel like I'm above average. I'm ranked in socal, but not particularly high. Though since the last update, in april, I feel like I've gotten better than a few people above me, and just need to work on some things before I can solidify my self as top 10.

A. I believe my fellow socal players would support me, as they see I do a lot for the community here and am constantly trying to improve myself.

A. No. I'll come up with ideas and throw opinions out there, but in general I'm more of a follower.

A. Yes, I've hosted 14 tournaments (the G-rev monthlies) and have helped co-host at a few other tournaments I've been to.

A. I feel like it's accurate on the most part, except puff, who should be lower. There was a lot of puff hype when this list was created, which led to her being placed above where she should be. Since then, Hungrybox has been the only puff player to remain consistent in his high placement, where as other characters have quite a few high levels players behind them. At what point does it become the player, and not the game? I don't believe puff can be as good as she is but have such little representation when compared to her fellow top tiers, just doesn't make sense.

A. It's fair for most. Probably a little too good for spacies, you just have to ban brinstar and you're great on every other stage. And it sucks a lot for Marth, pick your poison kj64/cruise/brinstar. As much as I don't like taking away stages, the Genesis 2 ruleset was pretty great with the absence of rc/brinstar. KJ 64 is eh, kind of a janky stage but not terrible, same with stadium.

A. Yeah, I almost never hear complaints about the ruleset, and have none myself. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

A. Equally as important. You can have a ton of tech skill, but if you don't know how to approach them or deal with their approach, you're ****ed. And if you have no tech skill, you'll simply get overwhelmed by their character's speed.

A. First hits is more important nowadays. All the good players can DI combos really well, so it's hard to simply get one hit and combo them to death. If you're getting all of the first hits, you're controlling the pace of the match as you probably know their defense and offense better than they know yours.

A. Melee will stay a tight knit community. People don't often leave and we still do get new players. We may not be as big as we used to be but we'll certainly stick around in good numbers.

A. Bored College Students. No really. Our age range nowadays is mostly college kids, and most college kids have time a lot of time on their hands. Start a club to play in dorm lounges to attract more people. We've done the latter before and it worked out pretty well. Smash may not appeal to the partying subset of college kids, but it sure does to the people who stay cooped up in their room playing starcraft or tf2 or something like that.

A. Make yourselves seem as professional as possible and then try and secure sponsors. Street Fighter tournaments have tons of sponsors, and they're all bigger, more publicized and more hyped than ours.

A. I have a lot of ideas that I'd like to spread around to some of the more influential people in the community. I'm a big fan of actually getting up and doing something instead of playing super theory bros all day.

OPTIONAL

1. Link:http://www.youtube.com/user/stabbedbyahippie
i. Description: I've uploaded literally thousands of matches in socal, and try my best to get recordings every chance I get. I'm one of the most subscribed melee channels, so I try to be very conscious about the quality of the videos I upload and the speed I upload them.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=269017
i. Description: The smash podcasts. While not originally my idea, I'm the one who stayed consistent with it and I always try to get opinions from good players all over the world in order to help make the community as whole better. I feel like the top players have many good things to say, and that these podcasts are a good way of getting all those thoughts out there.
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241996
i. Description: My local area's thread. In order to keep everyone active and together as a tight knit community, I'm always planning smashfests and other fun stuff so everyone stays in the community and continues playing, and inevitably improving. We have smashfests twice a week during the summer, and once a week during the rest of the year, and it's rare that I'm not the one who calls everyone and coerces them into getting together and playing melee.
4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300633
i. Description: The tournaments series I host. Though I don't host as often now that someone else is running bi-weeklies, I still have events every other month and make sure they're as enjoyable as possible for the community so that everyone always wants to come back for more!

1. Player: Dr. PeePee
i. Reason: This guy constantly helps the falco boards. Seriously, he runs the discussion thread AND the video critique thread, and constantly contributes with long, thought-out, insightful posts.
2. Player: Mango
i. Reason: This guy isn't as eloquent with his words as other players but when he gives advice, damn is it good. He has an amazing understanding of the game and listening to what he says can help any player, as long as they look AT what he's saying and not HOW he's saying it.
3. Player: Wobbles
i. Reason: This man is incredibly smart, and is a talented writer to boot, making his posts a joy to read. If you take a look at his blog, not only will you find great ICs advice, but just great advice in general for getting better and having a good mentality.

1. Answer: I have read it and agree. Playing to win is definitely the way to go if you want to go far in high level play. Mango is quoted saying "everyone except me plays super gay". It's basically true, and while some top players are campier than others, they all camp at some point or another, because abusing a really good move at the right times is more consistent and easier to do than constantly being in the opponents face. Being aggressive and forcing their bad habits at all times, while leading to good results, requires you to outplay them at every step. When you can abuse your characters strengths, it's sub-optimal not to. Though in friendlies, you shouldn't care about winning and only about improving and trying new stuff out.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS: I tried keeping my answers short and to the point but couldn't help writing long responses for some of these.

flaco

The Terminator
Application

there you go

Code:
Smashboards Username:flaco
Region:USA Springfield Mass
Primary Character(s):marth
Secondary Character(s):captain falcon,doctor mario,Link

REQUIRED

A.I started  around 2006,first tournament was mass madness

A.almost  every 2 to 3 month like i said was mass madness also I am in viva la smash 2 I am in youtube and my brother was there y2kbakura 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NohQwYHe00Y 

A.People consider me high level,but I considered myself average

A.yes because they know who I am just by my name flaco also they do go to my house for some smash friendlies almost everyday

AI have helped my friends in springfield get on smashboards and read for information in some match ups
and some informaiton on there mains
A.yes I   am in my house in Springfield Mass

A.At the moment I do because of the people who make the rankings are right on making there decisions 

A.is fair to my knowledge all of us are smashboards fanatics and I do what people think is right to play the game so yes

A.the rules are right for me because I have went to to much tournaments that I got used to it no problems with the rules 

A.tech for me with tech you get combo to the death but I d oues both 

A.first hits for me the more hits you  give and the faster higher the lvl is and easier to kill

A.I don't think so in my eyes and ever since the update it got better 

A.just keep going and make the website better you guys have 10 years on it so keep it going to make it better i recommend to put a legend bar so your could tell what all the colors are for

A.Making some changes for like the forum example putting for languages sets so more members will come and show up,having the ability to have different languages will bring members for my perspective.

maybe will improve they way to get members example I will help the community by getting us members,Also i do have to languages maybe by posting a separated area in Spanish maybe more people would show up in those sections.

D1

Banned via Administration
Smashboards Username: D1
Region: Atlantic North
Primary Character(s): Fox/Marth
Secondary Character(s): Falco/Sheik/Yoshi

REQUIRED

A. 6-7 Years

A. Almost every 2 weeks. The local, regional, national, and internation scene knows me very well.

A. I would fairly say I'm high level, because I know about all the advanced techniques, matchups, frame data, etc...but I'm really inconsistent as a player even though sometimes I can cause some upsets if I'm having a good day.

A. Yes, especially now that I've been trying to improve as a commentator/tourney host in the community and being able to discuss how to make my region better with the rest of the MBR would benefit all the Melee players in our area.

A. I definitely can fill that role, if ever there is a subject that needs to be covered I definitely can add to the discussion without going on a tangent. I was part of the scene long enough to have a good amount of knowledge of the current state of things in the Melee scene.

A. Yes most definitely. I am an active T.O. in the Atlantic North I hosted the D.I.P.! series in 2010 and this year I started hosting tournaments under a new name since I found a new venue. It goes by the name, "Sudden Death." So far we're going strong with the last one having 50 players, and about 3/5's of the players were NEW SMASHERS! :D That means there's a lot of work for me to do with our region and keeping the game alive.

A. Well considering the fact that Marth has dropped in terms of placings, Fox/Falco/Jiggz/Sheik also destroy Marth,

A. I really think Rainbow Cruise, and Brinstar are the only stages that need to go. I noticed how the West Coast has tournaments without those stages, and everyone is happy. No one has to play out of their element because of random stage hazards that take advantage of certain characters because of their fall speed, etc. I think it would be more fair if the winners of the matches were dictated only on current neutral/counter pick stages sans RC/Brin. There's just way too much room for random-ness to allow one to win, rather than skill. I know Dreamland has wind blowing, but its not as big as a factor as lets say...lava taking up most of the stage, except the platform on the top, and a stage w/ the screen scrolling that would probably make it harder for less mobile characters that can't keep up with their opponent running away from them. I know camping happens on other stages too, but its easier to deal with than on a dynamic stage like RC.

A. Well for the most part we've had successful tournaments ran with the ruleset, and not too many people have any issues...but still there's always room for improvement. Thats what we have the MBR for to research and see if there's anything we can do to make the experience better for the community so that people don't quit the scene like they quit the Brawl scene (not saying that to start a Melee v. Brawl debate...just using an example.)

A. I believe strategy is more important, you can have all the tech skill in teh world...but if you're not thinking about what do in certain situations you'll never do well in the competitive scene. You'll always dash in with the same approach not because you're trying to condition the opponent, but just b/c you thought it was a cool scene you saw in a combo video and you want to do it to please yourself and potential viewers no matter how many times your opponent punished you for doing it. You'll always dash at the opponent shield/spamming grab at the edge waiting to gimp you at zero. You'll always do overly complicated punish that you might mess up when you're nervous instead of the guaranteed combo that can net you the last game in the set. Its all about strategy, if you don't know why you're doing what you're doing...you'll never get far. Overwhelming players with tech skill may help you get by the weaker players, but against the stronger ones you'll need a strategy because thats what usually helps those players get far in the first place...mindgames and a gameplan (with a backup plan just in case.)

A. In my opinion I feel like maximizing punishments are more important to me. Use the best combo that leads into an opportunity to edgeguard your opponent correctly. Sometimes doing certain combos will only let your opponent get an opportunity to regain momentum if they're not sent off-stage at the end of the combo.

A. I thought so at first, but we have tournaments almost every weekend and people still watch new Melee vids that get upped on youtube...so I'd have to say, "No." we're still going to be here for a while.

A. Well I believe more of the players should try to reach out to newer players to encourage them to keep playing, teach them ways to counter bad match ups, counterpicking, etc. Host smashfests, advertise tournaments more, try not to have ridiculous prices for venue/entry.

A. Either find ways to fix the ruleset to make tournaments more enjoyable, or try to teach the current TO's how to make their events better to help the growth their region.

A. Well as an active TO I think I would be able to give the MBR input about what's going on in our region since I'm an active tourney-goer, which would in turn help our region get better than before.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279755
i. Description: This is my Melee texture hack thread, this is just for lovers of texture hacking their copies of Melee for aesthetic purposes. It got sticked last year.

2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=110999
i. Description: How to prepare for a tourney.

3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102569
i. Description: This was when there was drama in the NYC smash scene and I tried to at least show a certain smasher in question that we still valued his presence in the community regardless of the past wrongs that he has done.

4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=73030
i. Description: This is a big community project that me and many Yoshi mains contributed to in the past. It was posted under Shiri's user but we all worked together to gather and post the data for all the players. Project Y.O.S.H.I.

5. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53249
i. Description: Japanese DI?!! It was one of the first threads that sparked everyone's interest in Smash DI/Forbidden DI/etc.

1. Player: Dr. PeePee
i. Reason: PeePee posted up a lot of information for Falco mains in terms of his movelist, counter pick stages, matchups, and even more. He can back up all his claims as well since he's definitely taken many 1st place finishes at tournaments.

2. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason: He's definitely knowledgeable about the game, has a thread to help up-and-coming players learn about the game and their character (Marth), plays in plenty of tourneys, and has placings to back up his claims as well.

3. Player: Amsah
i. Reason: He's definitely more of a leader and less of a follower, I've read countless informative posts by him as well, and he's definitely known in the community and also has tourney placings to back up his claims.

1. Answer:
Yes I agree. Instead of calling some gay or cheap and being a "scrub" one should learn counters to that somewhat unbeatable tactic/move.

I was a member of the MBR before but due to work, and life I wasn't as active. Now that I'm unemployed and doing more TO-ing, and visiting many tournaments in the Tri-State area I feel it would beneficial if I'm in the MBR since I can probably learn somethings that would better me, and my region as well.

"We Livin."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tekk

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: Tekk
Region: Lyon, France
Primary Character(s): Jigglypuff
Secondary Character(s): Captain Falcon

REQUIRED

A. It's been almost 2 years now, I started playing melee seriously in September 2009, when porc invited me to one of his smashfests

A.I do my best to attend tournaments as often as I can, even tho i'm quite limited by school and my parents. I'd say I attend one tournament every 2 months or so.
Apart from that, I am really active in my local scene (Lyon), as I go to Fauster's to play smash with the other players (porc, Salepâte, Willy…) about twice a week, and host smashfests at my place anytime I can.
As for the regional scene, I'm quite familiar with it as well, because I do my best to go to every french smashfest and tournament I can. I've met pretty much every active player in the country, and every one knows me from the french boards, at least.
Finally, concerning the european/international scene, I'm not really familiar with it yet, but I plan on traveling a lot in the future, as my first experience in a foreign country for smash (BEASTII) was amazing.

A. I'd say somewhere between average and high level. I don't think it would be pretentious from me to say that I am fairly good at this game, but I am aware that I still have A LOT to learn, and I do have the ambition of becoming a top-level player.

A. I think they would without a problem, because they know how passionate I am for this game, and how much effort I put into it.

A. I wouldn't call myself a discussion leader, but I can debate with others fairly well. I'm not a stubborn person, and am open minded. I am obviously willing to listen to the opinion of others, as I am capable of proving a point by providing matter to it.

A. As I said before, I host smashfests at my place anytime I can. Plus, I actively support beginner players, and help them improve by advising them and, obviously, playing with them.

A. Changes could be made. For instance, I think Kirby and Ness are placed too low (Kirby could easily be moved from G to high F tier). Plus, even if that sounds main-biased, I think jigglypuff is too high, and this only due to 2 players (Mango and Hbox). To me, she should be placed below Marth and Sheik, who still have a lot of unexploited potential, while Puff is quite limited, because of her short range, and her nonexistent ground game. She is still an excellent character of course, and I'd place her on top of the A tier. On the contrary, I don't think we should move Peach from where she is just because of Armada's.

A. I like the fact that this stage list displays a great variety of stages, but I think we should either reduce the number of stages, or increase the number of stage bans. 1 stage ban isn't enough to me, as characters like fox will always be able to pick another stage that greatly advantages them. For instance, if a puff bans rainbow cruise against fox, he'll probably pick stadium instead, and it works both ways. If fox bans Kongo jungle, puff can easily take him on brinstar, or dreamland. I feel like this makes a set between two players at the same level decided at the end of first game.

A. Except for the stage ban issue I mentioned, I have nothing to object about.

A. Depends on what skill level you're playing. At a low level, It is not hard to realize that's often the more technical player that wins. At a high level tho, tech skill becomes secondary, as it's a natural thing for top players, and that's when strategy becomes most important. When you watch a video of top players, like Armada versus Mango for instance, it is clear that the one winning is the one who's managed to read his opponent's playstyle, and to provoke and exploit mistakes.
To simplify, I'd say that Tech skill is the foundations of melee playing, while strategy is what takes you to the top, and this is how I see melee is balanced: you need techskill to play a fluent game, while you need strategy to actually win the game.

A. Though it seems obvious that you need a good balance of both, I think first hits have a greater impact on the game. It goes like this: if you manage to land like 1 0-to-death combo per stock, then you'll logically win the game. But if you punish your opponent than they punish you, even whitout combo'ing them to death, you'll put more pressure on their shoulders, and you will disturb them more, and provoke more mistakes. So, I think first hits pays more on the long term (like during a long Bo5 or Bo7 set) than combos do.

A.As long as there is great and active TOs, the game will live on, because people will have tournaments to go to. Melee will die the day when the number of active TOs isn't sufficient to provide frequent events.

A. Media advertising, video tutorials, entry fee discounts for new players, you name it. The problem is: there is a lot of way to expand the community, but we lack means. Finding sponsors for a not-so-big community, especially compared to others like SFIV and Starcraft2 is a hard task, but not impossible I think. It's been done in the past for several tournaments (in the US mostly, but also in Norway), so it's not impossible. I think the thing we lack the most in our community is professionalism: many players act like immature teens, and so don't give a good image of the community to possible newcomers or sponsors. Still, I don't think it's an hopeless cause, we can always improve.

A. A smash encyclopedia, with matchups analysis, and both general and situational advice could motivate players to put more efforts into the community. Developping the social side of smash could also be a good thing. A good example of that was all the post Genesis 2 non-smash related events that were organized: it strengthens the community, and creates connexions between players beyond the game.

A. I think the MBR could benefit from my knowledge of certain parts of this game (especially matchups), and also from my motivation: I put a lot of time into this game, and want to be more involved in the smash community, that I love.

OPTIONAL

1. Player: Slhoka
i. Reason: Hosts a lot of tournaments in France, and is deeply involved in the international community, as a representative of France/Europe.
2. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: Is always ready to give some advice on the characters boards, and has taught a lot of floaty characters players (including me) how to DI against fox' upthrow to air combo.
3. Player: Tonberry
i. Reason: Amazing TO every other one should look up to. Host of the Smashers' Reunion series in Norway.

1. Answer: No, I haven't.

I really want to give my contribution to the community, and be useful to it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

chaddd

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: chaddd
Region: Southern United States
Primary Character(s): Ganondorf, Fox
Secondary Character(s): Falco, Falcon, Marth, Sheik, Dr. Mario, Samus

REQUIRED

A. Since 2004 or 2005, I believe.

A. As regularly as is possible. I recently had to take a long hiatus from the scene but am now interested in getting back into the game full time once again.

A. High Level to Pro

A. Yes; Others in my state have said that I was a big inspiration to a lot of aspiring players in the scene back when I began improving to the level I eventually achieved, including Just1111, a relatively well known player who was actually the best in the Southern Region for a number of years.

A. It depends on the accepted definition of discussion leader, which can be a little ambiguous, to say the least. I have skills and the knowledge necessary to debate the finer points of relatively any concept within the realm of Smash, if that is what's being asked.

A. With the sudden relocation of several high level players to my state, I have actually taken it upon myself to begin hosting tournaments. The first one should be next month. Unfortunately the only tournament I helped was a local tournament years ago. I do however help annually (the years I'm able to attend) with the Final Round tournament in the Street Fighter community, and I actually hosted Smash Brothers Melee the only year they held a tournament for it. Aside from hosting tournaments I am regularly and openly attempting to help my local community improve as a whole.

A. I believe tier lists do a reasonable job of representing the general tournament scene and what works in the metagame. It's hard to say how accurate something is when it is based primarily on speculation, but if I had to give a simple yes or no answer, the answer would be yes. It's the best job anyone has done to date to apply the concepts of the game to hypothetical situations that attempt to take into account a character's general options and ease of victory.

A. Yes, I have long believed that Pokemon Stadium was not a stage that was a balanced neutral in a one on one setting. For a stage to be truly neutral I think that all characters should have the option of equal advantage, and the removal of that stage was a wise decision. I commonly referred to it as Space Animal Stadium, due to all the sections of the stage where tech chases became trivial for anyone running Fox or Falco. As for the counter picks, I also think it's important for a player to be in control of their character enough to be comfortable playing on stages like Rainbow Cruise. It's just a matter of knowing the game, knowing your character, and knowing your opponent well enough to be able to win.

A. Yes. In my many years of attending tournaments, and dozens of tournaments I helped with, I haven't encountered a single issue with the standard tournament rule set. It's simply hard to miss with no items, 4 stocks, 8 minutes, best 2 out of 3.

A. They're both equally important. Some players over the years have tried to attach importance to just one or the other. The fact is, however, that high tech skill gives you the option of having a higher number of strategies and strategy is required in order to effectively implement this tech skill. Situations that lack both make me think of things like a player wavedashing into attacks or a player who knows exactly what to do in any given situation but lacks the execution to actually do so. And there is a certain point with every character where improving tech skill is necessary to increase the number of strategies you can implement, and improving strategy is a constant necessity to keep your opponents on their toes.

A. Once again this is a complicated question. It doesn't matter if you can 0-Death every opponent you touch if you're constantly getting hit first against someone who can do the exact same thing. Overall I would have to say maximizing punishment is more important, simply because skillful DI can allow you to attain victory even if you don't get the first hit, but your advantage would be much higher if you were able to do both.

A. Absolutely not. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo was released in 1994 as an expansion on the Street Fighter 2 game released in 1991. It is 20 years since the release of Street Fighter 2 and there are still national level tournaments being held annually. The only factor in keeping a game alive is the dedication and sense of community between the fans. Even games like Tetris, released in 1984, have a strong fan base and competitive community.

A. Encouraging the advancement of new players as well as glorifying the desire to improve. True inspiration can't be faked. While this is true, inspiration can easily be crushed if a player doesn't feel accepted or encouraged within his community. It's important to make sure all those with the knowledge of how to improve share this with those who desire it, and to avoid an attitude that you might be "wasting your time" playing or assisting someone trying to get into the game. Proper encouragement and acceptance can be the difference between someone going on to become the best player in their region and them simply quitting the game in frustration. No one wants to be part of a community if they feel like it's filled with unpleasant people.

A. Maintain an image of professionalism as well as a high standard for the concepts it supports. While watching communities that have had more time to develop, such as the organizers of the annual EVO event, it's become apparent that there is no limit to the influence of the community. The most reputable players and tournament organizers have developed to the point that they actually have an effect on the mechanics of future games, as well as sponsorships and exclusive versions of unreleased games used to give players a chance to play highly anticipated games still in the development phase. This is the perfect example of how a community with a common goal can become so influential that it actually has a say in the very games that made it a community in the first place.

A. I believe I have the knowledge necessary to be an important figure in the community itself. I understand the minor as well as major aspects of the game and am very interested in helping the Melee community to evolve into something as solid and professional as the Street Fighter community (which is a community I've been a member of for over 10 years).

OPTIONAL

1. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308729

Description: A general concept thread with the intention of aspiring new players the tools they need to win with Ganondorf.

2. Due to my long hiatus from the game (over a year, I believe) many of my contributions to the community have fallen into the archives. What I have provided is the most recent and attainable I could manage to locate.

1. Player: Magus
i. Reason: Without his information on Ganondorf alone, I would have never been able to discover the dozens of concepts I have managed to apply to my own play style. He is clearly willing to help support the community while at the same time provide players with invaluable data.

2. Player: Mike G
i. Reason: This person is responsible for the single most important event of my Smash career, which was teaching me the importance of being a good person to your community. He was also the first high level player to take the time to play me one on one and train me from a promising newb to a high level player. If it weren't for Mike G I would have never achieved everything I had in this community.

3. Player: SleepyK
i. Reason: This is a person who has time and time again has proven his commitment to the community, as well as simply being a great example for what being a good person in general means. Whether this was picking up someone from the airport when they had no ride, or hosting smashfests when there was no where to play, I think anyone who knows him can agree that if the entire community were like SleepyK, we would have absolutely no problems developing into the most influential gaming community ever.

1. Answer: Not in it's entirety. I have never been in the habit of categorizing and analyzing certain concepts of a game to the point that simplicity is lost. In my experience no amount of knowledge that could be absorbed from an article or piece of literature can replace the solid experience of being there and taking part. There are so many variables that go into winning that even when something is incredibly accurate and well thought out, there will always be a concept that goes untouched upon. As someone who has been playing games competitively for over half their life, I can say for sure that there is very little I haven't experienced in the tournament scene for competitive anything. I have been in around half a dozen communities for an even higher number of different games, and with that the concepts of self improvement and paths to victory have come somewhat naturally to me. But being somewhat familiar with the literature at hand, despite not having read it in it's entirety, I would have to say that the general idea of wanting to constantly win is what is required to the longevity of a community as a whole. We wouldn't be a fraction as far as we are if every player had the attitude of "I don't care if I win", simply because the word competitive wouldn't apply to us.

I have believed for a long time that I could provide well informed input on many matters important to the community. I hope that my application is well received, and I thank you for your time if you used yours to read all this.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Uh oh. Pending. Do I have to slip someone a few bills? Or give more serious answers?
Less serious answers?

Top Bottom