• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

D

Deleted member

Wow when did entrance to the MBR become a popularity contest? o_O
mid-2002. as in, before i even made an account. mattdeezie ran the MBR in that time, and it showed (most of the MBR far and away was WC at the time).

the MBR membership was always done by letting in people based on the recommendations of current members. honestly i think adding the bureaucracy kinda dumbed down the MBR quality as a whole, but w/e it's not my realm anymore.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Whatever way you want to look at it, it is essentially the same. People just have viewable applications. You still need the recommendation of a regional leader, who would, if they don't know the person, probably get a recommendation from someone they know.

I removed myself from the manual part of the new membership process. It is still mostly a circle jerk, just like before.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
This is way off topic, but it's been bugging me. Toph are you the same Toph from the Stepmania community a couple of years ago? It's just not a really common name and all...

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Smashboards Username: Omni
Region: MD/VA
Primary Character(s): Sheik, Fox
Secondary Character(s): wat

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. 6 years. Took a break for Brawl for free ATM withdrawals. Now returning.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. Recently, not at all. Very familiar with the local scene. The regional scene. Decent knowledge of the current pro metagame as well.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Beginner. Kinda' like a LVL 1 traded Pokemon that gains EXP bonus when they fight. Yea', kinda' like that.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Ya'. 'Cuz I've been in the scene way too long and know too much about everything. I'm also one of the few top Brawl players in the region that still play Melee so it's like I'm some kind of nerfed Mew2King of MD/VA.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. Totally. I mean, I have a logical mindset with well thought out sentence structures. Combine that with the innate ability to comprehend elementary concepts and years of experience leading discussions. I'd say on a scale of 1-10 of being a good discussion leader I'm an 11.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. No. But I've run events at my place in order to progress MD/VA skill base. Called Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Held every weekday after 5. This occurred last year from August to November. Was great and definitely increased the skill and morale of many members of the community. **** was dank.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A.Ya. Because the game has been out for 10 years. If we don't know it by now then, wtf, we suck. Plus it makes sense considering placements + game engineering and mechanics.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. Sure. None of the stages are stupid. And by stupid I mean none of them have a major outcome on a game's ending pending the players have the same skill level and knowledge of the level. Mind you, Fox's know they'll get chaingrabbed on FD by Marth and Marth's know Fox's will run loops around them on PS.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. Yes. Can't explain why. Most of it is engrained and any of the small adjustments simply improve on what has already become a solid statute of what is Melee.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. Early on? Tech skill. 'Cuz it's pointless to have a strategy if you don't have the tech skill to implement it. At higher levels? Strategy. 'Cuz tech skill is simply automatic and shouldn't be a factor; moreso it should be a naturally developed skill due to being able to control your character to its fullest. So they're both important, but both take precedence over the other depending on the specific level of play we're discussing here. Ya' know what I mean.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Early on? Maximizing punishments. Most effective way to maintain a good lead and punish wreckless play by knowing what is unsafe and the best way of punishing it. Maximizing punishments more times out of none can lead to a successful stock removal. At higher levels? Initiating punishments. 'Cuz knowing the maximum way to punish anything with your main should be engrained. Never should a situation occur where you say to yourself, "Can I punish this? And if so, with what?" So they're both important, but both take precedence over the other depending on the specific level of play we're discussing here. Ya' know what I mean.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Ya'. All competitive fighting games do. Communities will grow and by grow I mean the players who play will get older to a point where they leave the scene. At the same time, the amount of younger players who originally joined Melee back in the early 2000's decrease dramatically due to newer gen competitive games. It is what it is. Only reason why Melee has such an awesome competitive community despite its age is because the game is practically the epitome of awesomeness. Ya' got learning curves galore, technical prowess, unlimited metagame growth, and 50 million other factors that make this game enjoyable; #1 being the player's of the community.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. Hrm. Go back in time and halt the production of Brawl. No, but really to expand means to grab as many new players as possible. And the best way to grab those players is to let the video game community as a whole know that this forum exist and nationals the size of Kansas still take place. The hype machine that is Melee needs to be shared with the world. There's plenty of room for it and as technology expands (livestream stuff and what not, Melee YT channels) more access is created. Some sort of marketing strategy for targeting these specific audiences can be made.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. Stimulate the current community? Uh, hm. How about a recruiting project where members of the MBR seek out ex-Melee players and attempt to recruit them. Then you like... make a huge *** list. That way more Melee players will have more incentive to come back to the family. Last, but not least, tell Ken to stop doing w/e the hell he's doing and get him to play again. Tell him no jones, and tell him Azen said he's nuthin' but an old shell of his former glory without Melee. Damn. Azen goes hard.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I just know a lot of **** about a lot of ****. And I know how to relay that information very well. I'm already in the BBR as well as the BR for SRK. I've got nothing but contributions galore to offer so it's like... really beneficial. I've already been in the MBR before but left due to Brawl johns but I plan on playing both games evenly.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=105902
i. Description: Divide Between Good and Great. Just a guide teachin' people what separates the masses from the elite. It's true, yo'. Even till this day. Damn.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60570
i. Description: Old school Fox guide unlike the rest but incomplete because I was too busy smashfesting and entering tournaments and winning that cash money.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason: 'Cuz the guy has been in the scene for years and trained M2K. He's also smart. Being smart and good at the game is kinda' rare. I like this guy.
2. Player: Tope
i. Reason: Same reason as Cactuar. Except he's been in the game much longer. Has a lot of common sense.
3. Player: Chillindude + G-regulate
i. Reason: Same reason as Tope. Crazy fighting game talent coupled with actual smartness and the ability to make points that don't drag on paragraphs at a time. Yeah, that's tight. Idk how you're gonna have a discussion without these two.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: Yeah, I read it. It's whatever. It's been a while but any Play to Win philosophy applies to any fighting game but especially Melee. People lately complaining about Hbox and Armada at Apex. Using the term "lame". *******es. I mean, they're not dumb nor ***** but lame is just another term for effective. When M2K was rising with his Marth people called his edgeguarding **** lame. "Oh, wow, I get tossed off at 0'% and then hit with a reverse d-tilt if I jump then my jump gets stolen wtf that **** is lame," or when M2K is edgecamping Falcon's. How much money has this man won? Nobody can efficiently pull what M2K or other top players like Mango or Hbox or Peepee even if they understood their mindset of what it means to Play to Win.

In the end, you do what you need to do to get it done. Lookin' stylish is an added bonus, but if people are QQ'ing because they don't like the way they lost you're probably doing it right.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:

No johns.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
This is way off topic, but it's been bugging me. Toph are you the same Toph from the Stepmania community a couple of years ago? It's just not a really common name and all...
oh god

yeah, I am LOL

Who are you? (edit: actually you should probably just IM me cuz off-topic etc)

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Am I still pending or did you guys just hope I would forget? Which I did, for a while.

AlexanderKeithWhite

Smash Rookie
Emp_DinoCrisis

Smashboards Username: AlexanderKeithWhite
Region: Victoria, BC, Canada

A small preamble to the character section
My competitive genesis was that of Fox. I briefly toyed with the ideas of Climbers and Mario before dropping them to streamline my improvement. I became horribly afflicted with an addiction to Yoshi of which I am not yet completely cured. Recently, I have found that Marth is a much more accommodating character in regards to my philosophies and playstyles; She will be my singles main from now on. I am not smart enough to play Falcon effectively. I am currently developing a Ganon for doubles.

TLDR?
I grew up on Fox. I am moving away from him.

Primary Character(s):
Singles: Yoshi, Fox
Doubles: Fox

Secondary Character(s):
Singles: Marth, Falcon
Doubles: Falcon, Puff. Ganon

REQUIRED

A. I have been playing since October of 2010.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?

A. I attend local tournaments whenever possible. Victoria is reasonably isolated, hence a tight-knit local scene. I am kept up-to-date on our regional scene as far as Vancouver. My limited knowledge of the national/international scene is derived from watching videos/streams and reading tournament results.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)

A.I consider myself a Beginner. Rating myself any higher would be an insult to this game.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?

A. I think there would be a strict division. I am blunt, some might say tactless, with my criticisms. I am baffled by the malaise in my community around the liberal amount of SDs that occur for no reason. Some members interpret my observations and advice as trolling. Other members may speak more kindly of me.

A. I absolutely do. It is most likely a result of my genuine love for analytic discussion and theory crafting at a practical level. I am quick to challenge groundless speculation and justification of poor habits/play.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?

A. I am not an active tournament organizer. My contributions to my local scene are limited to attendance. There are many different levels of 'activeness' in regards to our local players. I would say that I am one of the most active players. However, our scene is small, with high centralization around a particular player of skill and experience. Tournaments are few, and often lack attendance from our scene's more peripheral members.

A. I would have to think long about the answer to this question, and most likely garner contempt from the vast majority of smashers answering it. May I simply say that Melee suffers greatly for lack of an accessible, up-to-date, and arguably accurate match-up chart?

A. What is fair or unfair about it? I find it difficult to even rate in on a scale of 'fairness.' I suppose it is fair in so much that it cannot possibly give either -player- an advantage they would not otherwise have.

A. Once again I fail to see how a rule-set that does not favor a particular individual could be unfair. Even if this rule-set favors certain characters (Spoiler: It does, heavily) and play styles (Once again: it does), I could by no stretch of the imagination call it 'unfair.' An example of an unfair rule-set would look something like this:

Player 1: 4 stocks, all characters/stages are selectable.
Player 2: 3 stocks, cannot select 'Pichu' as a character, restricted access to certain stages.

A. Strategy, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I am both active and competitive in more traditional fighting games. Isometric strategies and applied reading of people are the areas of competitive gaming that bring me enjoyment. For me execution is a given, I should be able to perform every movement that I want to, when I want to. Techskill without strategy bores me like a combo video or a match of "Marvel Vs Capcom 3." That is not to say I do not respect it. However, I greatly favour good strategy and smart play.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. This question lacks context for me. Both are derivative of proper spacing and timing, as well as reads in the case of tech chasing. What interests me in punishments is not maximization in the sense of damage but the constant interplay of a favorable ender. For example, I am interested in a player's choice to perhaps send a character off stage for an edge guard, or to create one more knock/down tech-chase to gather enough% for a garunteed kill. The interactivity of getting combo'd is one of Melee's aspects that keeps me interested in the game.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. It does not. As long as it remains segregated from the FGC it will continue to self-sustain as long as there are players. The game is not a traditional fighter by any sense, it is a very unique experience. As long as new players are engaged and encouraged to battle against the steep learning curve the game can survive.

A. The responsibility lies with current players here. Engaging new players with interesting competition, fair tutelage, and good experiences will make the game accessible. The following should go without saying, unfortunately it doesn't:
Elitism is the enemy of community expansion. Treating potential new-players as pot-monsters is fool hardy.
The smash community's greatest weakness is its own ignorance and self-absorption. More open minds would go a long way.

A. The production of interesting and engaging content would be a great stimulus. Dated and limited tutorials such as the Overswarm are the most easily found. Making this game accessible is not some arcane secret. Real character tutorials, as well as more general ones

A. I feel the MBR would benefit me moreso than I would benefit it. I am not able to travel to larger hubs often, and I am looking to gain more insight from high-level players. However, I do not believe I am without something to offer. I feel that I will be able to offer useful perspectives in regards to general improvement of the community. I am not a fan of complacency nor stagnation, and I have much energy to put into the development of both the theory and community of Melee.

OPTIONAL

List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
i. Reason: Cactuar consistently provides well thought-out arguments and content for the community. He is able to see past the rose-tinted glasses that seem to plague perspectives in this community. He is able to realize when decisions are near arbitrary in nature. Many smashers lack the ability to view things objectively, Cactuar does not.
2. Player: Kirby-Kaze
i. Reason: He generally expresses good instincts in his posts. He is concise, intelligent, and memorable.
3. Player: Vector-Man
i. Reason: Vman treats people with incredible amounts of respect and encouragement. These are extraordinarily undervalued traits in a significant community figure.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: Of course these theories apply to the Melee community. I find Sirlin to be similar to Hobbes, although far less eloquent, in that he assumes all is fair in war. The game does not care. However, given the self-created rule-set of the community his section on 'banability' of game aspects should hit close to home. I believe that the extent to which one 'plays to win' is inherently his own choice. I think it is intelligent and logical, even admirable. However, I would require much more space to completely express my true opinions. I will attempt to summarize them like this:

General improvement is more important than individual wins. One should not rely on tactics with a lower payout ceiling, simply because it is the most available heuristic.

That is not sufficient or satisfying, but it will have to do.

I want to deepen my understanding of the game and my involvement with the community. I feel this will be an excellent opportunity to do both.

Kal

Smash Champion
Sirlin does nothing towards advocating tactics with a "lower payout ceiling."

Playing to Win, Part 3: Not Playing to Win

I swear, every time I read someone's response about Sirlin, it's like they haven't even read the article. The above two applications make the exact same error.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575

My competitive genesis was that of Fox. I briefly toyed with the ideas of Climbers and Mario before dropping them to streamline my improvement. I became horribly afflicted with an addiction to Yoshi of which I am not yet completely cured. Recently, I have found that Marth is a much more accommodating character in regards to my philosophies and playstyles; She will be my singles main from now on. I am not smart enough to play Falcon effectively. I am currently developing a Ganon for doubles.

TLDR?

Primary Character(s):

Secondary Character(s):

REQUIRED

A. I attend local tournaments whenever possible. Victoria is reasonably isolated, hence a tight-knit local scene. I am kept up-to-date on our regional scene as far as Vancouver. My limited knowledge of the national/international scene is derived from watching videos/streams and reading tournament results.

A.I consider myself a Beginner. Rating myself any higher would be an insult to this game.

A. I think there would be a strict division. I am blunt, some might say tactless, with my criticisms. I am baffled by the malaise in my community around the liberal amount of SDs that occur for no reason. Some members interpret my observations and advice as trolling. Other members may speak more kindly of me.

A. I absolutely do. It is most likely a result of my genuine love for analytic discussion and theory crafting at a practical level. I am quick to challenge groundless speculation and justification of poor habits/play.

A. I am not an active tournament organizer. My contributions to my local scene are limited to attendance. There are many different levels of 'activeness' in regards to our local players. I would say that I am one of the most active players. However, our scene is small, with high centralization around a particular player of skill and experience. Tournaments are few, and often lack attendance from our scene's more peripheral members.

A. I would have to think long about the answer to this question, and most likely garner contempt from the vast majority of smashers answering it. May I simply say that Melee suffers greatly for lack of an accessible, up-to-date, and arguably accurate match-up chart?

A. What is fair or unfair about it? I find it difficult to even rate in on a scale of 'fairness.' I suppose it is fair in so much that it cannot possibly give either -player- an advantage they would not otherwise have.

A. Once again I fail to see how a rule-set that does not favor a particular individual could be unfair. Even if this rule-set favors certain characters (Spoiler: It does, heavily) and play styles (Once again: it does), I could by no stretch of the imagination call it 'unfair.' An example of an unfair rule-set would look something like this:

Player 2: 3 stocks, cannot select 'Pichu' as a character, restricted access to certain stages.

A. Strategy, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I am both active and competitive in more traditional fighting games. Isometric strategies and applied reading of people are the areas of competitive gaming that bring me enjoyment. For me execution is a given, I should be able to perform every movement that I want to, when I want to. Techskill without strategy bores me like a combo video or a match of "Marvel Vs Capcom 3." That is not to say I do not respect it. However, I greatly favour good strategy and smart play.

A. This question lacks context for me. Both are derivative of proper spacing and timing, as well as reads in the case of tech chasing. What interests me in punishments is not maximization in the sense of damage but the constant interplay of a favorable ender. For example, I am interested in a player's choice to perhaps send a character off stage for an edge guard, or to create one more knock/down tech-chase to gather enough% for a garunteed kill. The interactivity of getting combo'd is one of Melee's aspects that keeps me interested in the game.

A. It does not. As long as it remains segregated from the FGC it will continue to self-sustain as long as there are players. The game is not a traditional fighter by any sense, it is a very unique experience. As long as new players are engaged and encouraged to battle against the steep learning curve the game can survive.

A. The responsibility lies with current players here. Engaging new players with interesting competition, fair tutelage, and good experiences will make the game accessible. The following should go without saying, unfortunately it doesn't:
Elitism is the enemy of community expansion. Treating potential new-players as pot-monsters is fool hardy.
The smash community's greatest weakness is its own ignorance and self-absorption. More open minds would go a long way.

A. The production of interesting and engaging content would be a great stimulus. Dated and limited tutorials such as the Overswarm are the most easily found. Making this game accessible is not some arcane secret. Real character tutorials, as well as more general ones

A. I feel the MBR would benefit me moreso than I would benefit it. I am not able to travel to larger hubs often, and I am looking to gain more insight from high-level players. However, I do not believe I am without something to offer. I feel that I will be able to offer useful perspectives in regards to general improvement of the community. I am not a fan of complacency nor stagnation, and I have much energy to put into the development of both the theory and community of Melee.

OPTIONAL

List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
i. Reason: Cactuar consistently provides well thought-out arguments and content for the community. He is able to see past the rose-tinted glasses that seem to plague perspectives in this community. He is able to realize when decisions are near arbitrary in nature. Many smashers lack the ability to view things objectively, Cactuar does not.
i. Reason: He generally expresses good instincts in his posts. He is concise, intelligent, and memorable.
i. Reason: Vman treats people with incredible amounts of respect and encouragement. These are extraordinarily undervalued traits in a significant community figure.

1. Answer: Of course these theories apply to the Melee community. I find Sirlin to be similar to Hobbes, although far less eloquent, in that he assumes all is fair in war. The game does not care. However, given the self-created rule-set of the community his section on 'banability' of game aspects should hit close to home. I believe that the extent to which one 'plays to win' is inherently his own choice. I think it is intelligent and logical, even admirable. However, I would require much more space to completely express my true opinions. I will attempt to summarize them like this:

General improvement is more important than individual wins. One should not rely on tactics with a lower payout ceiling, simply because it is the most available heuristic.

I want to deepen my understanding of the game and my involvement with the community. I feel this will be an excellent opportunity to do both.
LOL @ applying on post #1

and LOL @ you thinking marth is a girl

inb4marthisagirl

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice

TLDR?

Primary Character(s):

Secondary Character(s):

REQUIRED

OPTIONAL

Well there is Marth's illegitimate sister Martha but he himself is not a girl. They do look eerily similar so I understand your confusion. The A in her name is silent, and often not even put in there.

http://x17.xanga.com/dd9f876632237258977167/b206192988.png

Varist

Smash Lord
well im 110% sure im the best in the world so i believe in myself harder than you and according to kage that means i would put your *** to sleep

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I well I have 3 friends who are 70% sure that I'm the best in the world...

so using math, there is a 210% chance that...

I give up on this post.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The only real difference is the feel I'm getting from these posts. Me saying believe in yourself is different from you saying it because your experience is different and you may have not gained the proper mind state to actually understand the full meaning of it. =) I'd say that's why it may be hard to understand what I'm trying to convey most of the time. Oh well, it's all fun anyways. =)

Top Bottom