• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Official Rule Set

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
You guys completely missed the point and look foolish. The criticism is in the volatile and unbalanced counterpicking system. It can be avoided by the extreme solution suggested, but the core idea that was being promoted was change. Good job, y'all just dotards.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
the point is you were trolling and your argument had already fallen apart.

im pretty sure you missed the point in we were just making fun of you lol.

D

Deleted member

You guys completely missed the point and look foolish. The criticism is in the volatile and unbalanced counterpicking system. It can be avoided by the extreme solution suggested, but the core idea that was being promoted was change. Good job, y'all just dotards.
what's wrong with the counterpick system?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Trolls have arguments and valid opinions? Keep gettin' bedazzled.

And Mow... it's mostly dependent on the TO's rules, since the community has no general consensus. But an example: Remember how you lost a set (to me) because KJ64 was on random in doubles?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@afterdawn, what if it was directed at you lol. you betta get em!

@thread-the cp system is petty legit. and I agree with people about a questionable stage list . its close to good tho, only minor changes should be made

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I WILL RIP HIM APART

but in all seriousness, there's nothing wrong with the current counterpick system, if somebody's butthurt cause they keep losing then it's because they suck and not the system

D

Deleted member

Trolls have arguments and valid opinions? Keep gettin' bedazzled.

And Mow... it's mostly dependent on the TO's rules, since the community has no general consensus. But an example: Remember how you lost a set (to me) because KJ64 was on random in doubles?
I would agree with you, but the community does have a general consensus. That's why I gave Kelvin so much **** for having it on in the rules and he knew it was wack. You'll have difficulty finding major tournaments with large rule deviations from the MBR list I think. If it's more common than I think it is, I'm not sure what to tell you right now.

I already told all of the MBR leaders that I added to never accept x after dawn x for any reason so don't take his opinion too seriously. Mostly based on gems like this:

if somebody's butthurt cause they keep losing then it's because they suck and not the system
just lol.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I suppose for major tournaments stricter guidelines are followed. But minor and mid sized tournaments use greatly varying rulesets. The last video topic for a WC tournament I checked into had matches being played on Mute City LOL.

If we want consistency I think the 'general consensus' as we call it should be reflected everywhere not just major events. But again, that's where the TO's discretion comes in and the unpredictability of any applied ruleset. IMO people just need to be better informed.

Also, this topic shouldn't be a discussion, it should be a locked one post sticky to be most effective. The official tier list could also go for an unsticky. We can cite any old tier list and it would be just as inaccurate as that one :rolleyes:

edit: and yeah, I know after dawn sucks, I just like egging on ******s.

kao is cool sometimes tho but my zelda's gonna **** his m2 all day every day twice a day.

D

Deleted member

if you want to do something about either the official rule set or the tier list, get into the MBR and start it up. take it into your own hands and stop relying on others to do it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Lol @TML.

Actually, Its kinda funny, but WA has a varied rule set thats inconsistent with MBR. It was pretty funny how it went down.

Stadium stayed neutral, I pushed for it to move to cp, but it was really just a conflict of interest. I dont like stadium really at all, while I was argued against by WAs 3 most technical/best foxes.

I kinda just said, Bladewise likes Mute City-and we kept it legal lol.

Then SW and I had a huge argument about banning Corneria. I said that our stage list was too biased towards fox players with poke neutral and having RC/corneria both legal Cps-I also said that I didnt like corneria because of all the stages it had the most random non neutral aspect(the ships that target you every so often). You really cant cp against fox in WA cuz they will go RC/Cor or try to narrow down to poke off the random or stage strike.

Lol@ Umbreon-snot like there is a "get in" button because I truly do care about the smash community.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yeah Umby, I applied several times, most in jest and in the past. But none of them lacked sincerity that I wanted to do something. I become involved in many discussions about tiers and matchups and **** and ruleset but it almost always degenerates into trolling because this site really sucks *** (or rather, it's really fun to prey on the members here). GFAQs is much better.

It also hinges a little on the community, this is a Nintendo game and most people are kids. The competitive era for this game was so much more ideal back in the day when I was truly interested anyways. I'm sure you can comment on this...

D

Deleted member

you can get into the MBR if you're active fairly easily. prove that you're the intellect the MBR is looking for and then petition its members to suggest that you be let in. After a quick vote you're either let in or not. the MBR doesn't degenerate into trolling if that's what you're looking for.

Xona

Smash Apprentice
I did not really like the original rule list with 15 bans, but now there is less than 33% of the stages legal. There are only 9 legal stages. There are a few stages that I never thought warranted banning in the old SBR rule list. Like Big Blue for example. That being said, almost nobody listens to any argument in favor of allowing Big Blue because they dislike it too much. But many of the recently banned stages should definitely not be banned. Corneria, I can understand, (not that I am necessarily for banning it).

What I do not get at all is why Mute City, Pokefloats, and Jungle Japes are banned. I know that a lot of people can not stand Pokefloats, but what legitimate reason is there to ban it? Lack of ledges? Bowser and Zelda can do just fine here. And for what it's worth, Pokefloats is a pretty good Bowser stage, so is Mute city. Pokefloats is a decent Zelda stage, but I doubt it is a very good Mewtwo stage. Mewtwo is one of my secondaries, but definitely not my best secondary at the moment.

And how is Mute City broken? Is the advantage it gives to Peach and Jigglypuff really that great? Marth, Fox, and Falco have a significant, probably bigger advantage on final destination. In reality, Bowser vs Falco is almost a guaranteed victory for Falco on final destination. And yet final destination is still a starter. Why? In reality, it's because the majority of players like that stage. But why is Mute City banned?

I also can not understand why Jungle Japes is banned. I know that being towards the right side of the stage is advantageous. But that is just an advantageous zone, approaching someone on the right platform is definitely possible, same with the left. And the Klaptraps certainly do not warrant a ban, they are on an automatic timer.

A more restrictive stage list does not actually create a more competitive environment. Just imagine if we were to ban characters the way we ban stages.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why are bowser and zelda coming up in melee discussion. this is the ruleset for a competitive melee envioronment.

Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Puff, Falcon, and Peach, should be the only characters coming up in this discussion. the rest of the characters are effectively banned for being bad. So since the competitive scene doesnt take them into account, why should the rules? Matchups between those 7 should be the only things taken into account.

D

Deleted member

A more restrictive stage list does not actually create a more competitive environment. Just imagine if we were to ban characters the way we ban stages.
A rule set only functions to provide a medium in which both players agree that the rules are "competitive" and provide the satisfaction of having a definite winner and loser where on the terms are agreed. Since "competitive" is arbitrary by nature, we do the best we can to define it, and that definition is susceptible to change over time. In short, if you don't know what you're talking about, I suggest you spend some time on the boards and observe how and why things are done the way they are. Backed with reason, your opinion will hold more merit than your current arguments do.

Matchups between those 7 should be the only things taken into account.
why would we care about match-ups when taking anything into account?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Why are bowser and zelda coming up in melee discussion. this is the ruleset for a competitive melee envioronment.

Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Puff, Falcon, and Peach, should be the only characters coming up in this discussion. the rest of the characters are effectively banned for being bad. So since the competitive scene doesnt take them into account, why should the rules? Matchups between those 7 should be the only things taken into account.
Loads of bull**** my ***.
Time travel back into 2007 and discuss it with them.
LOL, this kid cant be like a real dude just sitting at home in front of a cpu typing this garb.

@Xona-FD is not auto win for falco. FD is a **** cp for m2 vs Falco-plz tell me you arent real! Big blue if ****ing garbage.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion

Now that i've actually seen this typed, i kinda agree!
+1

-Kao M2 sucks

=D

D

Deleted member

Anyway, is there anything else you guys want me to clarify while I'm still checking this topic fairly often?

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Anyway, is there anything else you guys want me to clarify while I'm still checking this topic fairly often?
Yeah, just in case you haven't heard the majority of the Melee players...
This list is outdated and whether or not you want to change it you should

oops, i thought this was tier list discussion...
/fail

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
actually I thought it's been known for a while that I'm usually not serious about a lot of things, oh well

even though this isn't the tier list topic, whatever happened to m2k and some other people making their own "tier list" that would be like an unofficial mbr tier list?

D

Deleted member

Yea lol, if Im not mistaken most people agree this is outdated, why does the MBR have no desire to update it?
it's in progress. if you have any input past a very generic "it's outdated" that would be helpful.

john!

Smash Hero
it's in progress. if you have any input past a very generic "it's outdated" that would be helpful.
It is? That's nice to hear. A few months ago I predicted the top tier to be Fox/Falco/Puff, and many have voiced the same sentiments since then. But I'm sure whatever the MBR comes up with will be backed up by solid reasoning.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
It is? That's nice to hear. A few months ago I predicted the top tier to be Fox/Falco/Puff, and many have voiced the same sentiments since then. But I'm sure whatever the MBR comes up with will be backed up by solid reasoning.
They are talking about the rule set, not the tier list...
See my last post for details...

Top Bottom