• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
PS: The Power Rankings are based on tournament rankings mostly. Who you have beat (or have been defeated by) usually comes into place when it is difficult to find the order for certain people who rank near the same proximity. Don't listen to Plank; he sucks.

Honestly, I had nothing to do with 11-15. I think Top 15 is too much and it becomes extremely difficult to accurately judge the order of these guys since their results are normally the most inconsistent.

Oh, and we will still be updating every 3 months. Changing the list after possibly having only 4 legit tournaments would be tedious.
I'm actually ok with updating every month and adding another panelist to make the job easier. There may also be a minor alteration to the list due to an activity oversight as soon as I can get in touch with the other panelists

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Updating every month is silly. We might not even have a full month with 4 tournaments before the adjusting of the new list. Allow there to be adequate room for an array of many results so a more solid list can be made. Updating this list frequently and watching people drop or rise one or two positions based on only a few results takes away from the impact of this list in my opinion.

And stop calling me Slik, lol. I don't wanna' talk about this over the phone. I'm busy with my RPG's. If we're going to discuss any changes to the list, let's keep it in the panelist discussion room.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Football power rankings/every major sport that the media does power rankings for are updated every week-and they look at substantially less than the data Smash would have from 1 month.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
There's all kinds of weird factors in the list. for example, i originally had candy at #1 because i felt he was playing the best brawl out of anyone recently, but omni always beats candy and usually places higher. however, omni goes to a tourney once a month at best, and gets annihilated by good OOSers/. so its hard to make a decision. then theres meeeeeeeep, who ***** people now with ICs and wins tourneys splits matches with candy and does similarly to candy, won a tourney recently, but does awful against OOS competition. chu was pretty dominant but his placings have gotten lower lately, losing to several people lower on the list than him.

then theres NEO who goes to a tourney even less than omni, yet is almost a guaranteed 3rd/4th/5th place at any tourney he goes to, and is a danger to anyone he faces. Boss's tourney record has a few 1st places, and a few 17th places to go with them. me and forte are sorta in that same boat, some firsts, mostly 3rd/4ths, and some losses to people lower on the list. Korn is just a basic consistent MK that refuses to enter singles tourneys, but when he does he places high.

everyone else on the list i have recognized as good players who have taken some sets off of higher placers on the list, but the 10-15 people were mostly discussed by slik/hat, i thought it looked pretty legit so i agreed.

and thats how i go about power rankings.

i have no problem with updating the list every month, why would that be silly? if that were to happen tho, than everyone would just have to trust in the panels judgement and not whine and ***** when they dont get the spot they want, they can just try to improve for next month. also, i think inactivity should drop people on the list, not so much "take them off completely", but just drop them down. for example, if candy goes to 4 tourneys in a month and gets top 4 at all of them, and omni goes to 1 tourney and gets 1st, i think candy should get the higher spot because of all the effort he is putting in. if you want to be on the panel you must prove to be seriously active to get that top spot, even if you are M2K

Omni

BRoomer
For the record, the only OOS'ers that have beat me are Atomsk and Ninjalink. I do fine against everyone else.

hova

Smash Champion
lmao!! Tant you are having some inaccurate posts today... step it up

also, i don't think i could ever be accurately ranked since i kinda just hand matches over to people

inactivity for the win

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
the last 2 tournys i went to i split for 1st...split with chillin at c3 and split with boss yesterday ( even though it was more of a forfeit than a split but w/e lol)

i need to do this more consistantly..........candy has been somewhat inconsistant lately so gotta stepz itz upz...omni im coming for you!!!!! (even though in smash id probably beat m2k b4 i beat you.....meanie)

chillindude829

Smash Master
man im unsure about brawl. im clearly out of practice, but practicing requires investing time into a game i dont even really like. md/va tournies get so few people and ****, maybe ill just pull an omni and only go to tournies i know are gonna be huge.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
the only reason tournys are small are b/c ppl keep having 2 tournies in the same day....if there was just one tourny yesterday instead of 2 then that tourny would of had close to 50 ppl....if it was $10 per person.....then we could consistantly have good tournys every week

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Candy is right.

There is no way when I'm in Ohio I should be finding a tournament every single weekend and that those tournaments get more attendance than when I was in MD/VA.

STEP IT UP MD/VA ZOMG

That is also why I think monthly updates could be good, it could give people incentive to travel more often/to more tournaments/increase attendance.

In other news I got GTAIV the other week and it is amazing. I know, a little late, but whatever.

hova

Smash Champion
we should really have less tournies, people would be more inclined to show up if there was only one tourney a month. with two tournies every week, it's much easier to decide to skip out and just catch the tourney next week. if people knew they would have to wait an extra month to attend a tourney they would definitely show up. I remember in Melee when everyone always showed up to C3's and nothing else was really taken as seriously.

i'd hate to say maybe we should stop supporting all of these businesses that are deciding to have tournies, but i definitely think we should commit to treating one of the monthly tournies as the 'major tournament' and have everything else pretty much as a side event

in the interest of legacy and familiarity i'd nominate Chu's Dojo or C3 to be the huge epic tourney every month that people all show up to and take seriously. this tourney should kind of be like our monthly championship and no other tournies should even be considered for the same date. then people could go or skip the other tournies such as gamepad/woodbridge/hat's knowing that what really matters is Dojo/C3

also it would raise the chance of attendance of people like Omni, Chillin, Neo and others who don't go to tournies every week

it's just a suggestion, i rarely go to tournies anyway so i don't really care too much

also, having one huge tourney a month would make it much easier for OOS to decide when to come down. of course people like Atomsk/Inui/NC people will come for the big show

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
The problem with the one tourney a month deal is that people may be busy on the ONE day that monthly tournament occurs on, or it may be in an inconvenient location for people. With one a week (I disagree with two a week as well, that just divides the attendance for the sake of making money, general convenience, or feeling obligated to show up to one over the other because you said you'd go to one of the hosts, rather than participating in full competition as an entire community), people won't feel restricted as to what they can do on their weekends. You miss a tourney one weekend for a get-together with some friends? No big deal, there's one waiting just around the corner. Is Chu's Dojo too far of a drive for you? It's cool, there's always C3 next weekend.

That's just my stand. The people who only show up every month or so can still choose which tournament they want to go to, and if they decide to be extra active they can still do so. It also pleases the crowd of people that go to events every weekend. But yeah, two tourneys in one region on the same day isn't a good idea because it splits everyone up.

Just an outsider's opinion. There's something every weekend in NJ, and we almost always have solid attendance and serious competition.

Raikou-

Smash Apprentice
Things are fine how they are now, I love all the events we have :3

Edit @ below, yeah I know Hova, I was just saying =]

hova

Smash Champion
i don't think either of u really read my post

i think we should keep all the tournies we have now, but collectively place the importance of one monthly tourney higher than the rest. make everyone in the region completely dedicated to at least this one tournament regardless of what else is going on throughout the month

meepxzero

Smash Master
yea i agree with having one big event a month to outweigh all the tourneys. The little ones are honestly just good and fun practice. Probably should be chus dojo tournies if we had to choose one. That way the people who do rarely come to tournies can just go to the big one and **** and not have their ranking be effected. The only problem with that is if you have a bad day on the only tourney u go to dont expect ur ranking to be that consistent. Everyone in md/va is definitely stepping up their sh it. Chus beating me regularly again and he beat atomsk last tourney even tho atomsk went mk.

chillindude829

Smash Master
i like hovas idea a lot

and i agree w/ meep that md/va is getting better, esp in teams

candy/korn seemed wayyy harder to fight last week than inui/atomsk yesterday

Omni

BRoomer
Sounds like a great idea, Hova. I also nominate Chu's Dojo or C3 for official big time tournaments. Renegade (yep, good ol' Renegade) already worked a deal with David @ C3 to have official SF4 Bi-weeklies. I plan on attending each one of these since I know there will only be two per month. Greg or Chu should call up David and see if they can reserve the other two weekends.

I agree with Chillin. Him and I will most likely be pouring more of our time into Street Fighter 4 since it requires the same things that Melee did. To be completely honest, I have lost interest in taking Brawl past Regional level. I will, however, support it here in MD/VA and attend tournaments here when I can. I won't be practicing Brawl at all until you guys step it up and knock me off my high horse which I truly don't believe I deserve to be on.

Completely off topic but who here is serious into getting into the Street Fighter 4 scene? I know it's me, Chillin, Azen, Lukky, and possibly Shinku so far.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Oh yeah, sorry. I interpreted that a bit wrong, I was about to go to dinner. My bad, Hova.

I like that idea. The other events should still be taken seriously 'cause they're a sort of preparation for the big tourney of the month.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
i like hovas idea a lot

and i agree w/ meep that md/va is getting better, esp in teams

candy/korn seemed wayyy harder to fight last week than inui/atomsk yesterday
Yeah, you guys beat us, but Atomsk was playing reeaaaally badly in the tournament matches. Don't forget we did win 3-0 in an MM set before the tournament. Chu's too tricky

We'll get you next time. :bee:

chillindude829

Smash Master
lmao @ winning the mm. congrats, we won the tourney which was worth 10x as much money.

besides i didnt even say anything bad about you and atomsk really, i just honestly found candy/korn to be a more difficult team to fight against. calm down

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Inui, shut up. We lost. Don't bring up the small amount of money we made off of that MM compared to the LARGER AMOUNT they made for getting 1st.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
the new team champions!!! chu and chillin!!!.
fact: said team was destroyed 3-1 in a best of 5 set by g-reg and mega. and yes, chillin counterpicked MK

charge your ducks

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hova, why are you at every tournament I randomly attend in MD/VA when you rarely go to touraments?

Rofl.

See ya at Chudat's Dojo on the 27th.

Also the only real problem I see is the double tournament weekends. Two tournaments on the same day just hurts both tournaments. This problem can be solved though by simply having better communication and a I-called-it-first attitude between TO's.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I called it first attitude is not my style, although I did ask HAT to move his event. HAT and I are cool, and it worked out. HAT could've made more money if he had it a different week, but the venue may not have been open etc.

Oh well. This won't happen again. This month has had 4 split tournaments, for many different reasons, so lets look to focus back in in June.

MasterDaveNo1

Banned via Warnings
hey it was fun getting to meet all of u md people this weekend! =D ...that is all =p (btw, this is izumi for those who dont know my online name)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i don't think either of u really read my post

i think we should keep all the tournies we have now, but collectively place the importance of one monthly tourney higher than the rest. make everyone in the region completely dedicated to at least this one tournament regardless of what else is going on throughout the month
this would be tight, since all i can make it to is about one a month

Top Bottom