• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Power Rankings: Updated 8/14/12

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
PT is for funsies after I get my Pit and pikachu to be tourney threats and my Peach decent enough to handle ICs and wario
peach? pt? man... look. this is what you do:

1.) pick between pit and pikachu. drop one of them for now.
2.) work on ONLY that character.
3.) if pikachu, make it as good as ESAM. watch all his vids. mimic his ****. perfect your tech skill.
4.) if pit, make it as good as Earth. watch Japanese Pits like Earth and Masashi. perfect your tech skill.
5.) go to a tournament. lose. figure out WHY you lost and begin working on countermeasures for beating that person with the same character.
6.) go back to tournament. win. if you still lose, you're doing something wrong or you're not putting into effort into your training

omni train me. i need to get to anti level
k, u gotta drive up to my place tho since i dont have a car

B0NK

Smash Lord
Aka you should only be picking up another character if

A) You believe your character is not viable and want to start working on a top tier main.

B) You've already proven yourself and have won tourneys with your main and want to pick up another character to help with bad match-ups or specific players.

C) For fun, in which case I wouldn't expect to perform better in tourney from picking up your "fun" character.

If you want a character for ICs and Wario I'd suggest MK, Snake, or ICs personally.

Omni

BRoomer
there aren't any IC's in this region that gives Lukkay trouble. he needs to work on first winning his good and even match-ups before he worries about picking up another character for a "bad" matchup which isn't even that bad.

i choose, you, Esam.
*summons Esam into thread via namesearch*
please tell this guy lukkay to stop johning and to actually put in the work necessary.

falco03

Smash Lord
luckay you use pit for ices and diddy. pika for snake, falco, mk. there you go every match up covered

omni when?
luckay i noticed if you cant camp your opponet you lose. you need more reads.

Nabster92

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I just moved here to Fairfax, VA pretty recently from SoCal and kinda wanna get back into the smash scene. I'll see if I can make it to some tournies and what not, but otherwise, is anyone relatively close to Fairfax that would be down to smash sometime? I also work in DC around 15th and L Street if anyone happens to be closer to that or in between or something.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
@lie There's still olimar, DDD, marth, and wario. I also need Pit for other novelty mid/low tiers. And Pit vs ICs is so stressful, if I make a mistake or go over the lgl I'm done. Peach actually applies good shield pressure to split them up and can rack up damage on nana.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I've done your home work for you Luckay, analyzing every character matchup for you

Metaknight- Pikachu (except against ones who know the matchup, then go pit)
Olimar- Pit
Diddy- Pit (although, pika would be fine)
ICs- Pit
Snake- Pikachu
Falco- Pikachu
Marth- Pit
Pikachu- Pit
Wario- Either one is fine, probably pit
Zamus- Pit
Lucario- Pit
Dedede- Pikachu (Pit would probably be fine)
Toon Link- Pit
Wolf- Pikachu (pit might work out here)
G&W- pikachu
Fox- pikachu
Peach- Pit
Pit- Pit
Rob- lolrob
Kirby- Pit
Sheilda- Pit
Sonic- Pit
DK- Pikachu/Pit
Ike- Pit
Sheik- Pit
Yoshi- Pikachu (Pit would be fine)
Ness- Pit
PT- Pit
Luigi- Pit
Lucas- Pit
Mario- Pit
Samus- Pit
Bowser- Pikachu
Falcon- Pikachu
Jiggs- Pikachu
Link- Pikachu
Zelda- Pikachu
Ganon- Pikachu

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I mean that list is pretty much what I do, except pit vs wario is garbz (lost to iota & scotty o.b.'s wario with pit but beat them with pika) and pika vs gaw is garbz so I would switch those. Can also go pikachu on marth, that matchup isn't a counter anymore. Pikachu can do well against zss as well, I did better with pika against v115, but pit was better vs salem so idk. I really don't see a problem with picking up peach for ICs and wario or even just ICs for ICs, I actually have a lot of free for the next few days I can learn the cg a little now lol.

Anyway, I have a pretty nice apartment for this semester at College Park, just moved in. So if people are willing to come again I can host weekly/bi-weekly smashfests. Best day would be Thursdays at 5 since I only have 1 class on Fridays. Can be Fridays too before tournies if my roommates have nothing going on.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I really don't see a problem with picking up peach for ICs and wario or even just ICs for ICs, I actually have a lot of free for the next few days I can learn the cg a little now lol.
Hit me up on FB if you have any trouble with any technique, or just for general advice for ICs lol

I'm willing to teach anyone this dumb character =P

Omni

BRoomer
your problem, lukkay, is that you're trying to make up for your lack of skill and character match-up knowledge with a counterpick which is just only going to make your Pit/Peach/Pika mediocre.

if you listen to me and stop listening to all these other scrubs, you'll be fine.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
But even ESAM needed ICs to gain national threat status. I could do well with solo pikachu here, but I'd still get hard bodied by Jersey. It just doesn't feel right using only one character for me.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Atomsk beat Meep in Meep's prime with his pocket pit, you can do it.

Pikachu/Pit covers the entire roster. (lolmk) You shouldn't need a tertiary (yep I said the proper word) character. That was one of my problems at events in the past year or so, I've always wanted to go some other character.

If I just practice MK and only MK, I know have all the tools I need to win and it becomes all about my mental physique at that point and reading my opponent and reacting correctly.

Tools you need to win:

- A good character
- Experience/Knowledge of your character
- A good controller
- Wrist/Fingers in prime condition

Most people who enter tournaments these days have all the right tools, they just don't apply them properly.

Omni

BRoomer
But even ESAM needed ICs to gain national threat status. I could do well with solo pikachu here, but I'd still get hard bodied by Jersey. It just doesn't feel right using only one character for me.
...you're getting bodied in MD/VA. You can't say you're doing well here in MD/VA without ever winning at least ONE tournament.

ESAM made his Pikachu a national threat BEFORE putting in time for IC's. He didn't use IC's at MLG. You don't have to use one character; that's on you. Just don't expect to get anywhere with two subpar characters.

You say you wanna' be trained, but you don't wanna' listen.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I said I could do well like if I put all focus into pikachu, obviously because he's a better character. But you right, I haven't won anything. I guess I'll try things your way then.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Train your pit and pika at smashfest today. Don't mess around with peach, pt, etc. You'll be fit and in shape for the event on Saturday.

It's sorta like a wide receiver who wants to all of a sudden play guard. You'll make an OK guard if you buff up at it, but you're already a wide receiver, why not become a stellar wide receiver instead of a good wide receiver and an OK guard. (if you don't watch football this analogy won't make sense)

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
You can learn 2. One should be primary. NEO and Hova always told me never learn more than two, unless you use metaknight, then you only need 1.

Omni

BRoomer
You can learn 2. One should be primary. NEO and Hova always told me never learn more than two, unless you use metaknight, then you only need 1.
And look where you ended up.

Seriously, bruh. If he wants to be a national threat.... especially THIS late into the game... he needs to be spending all his exp. on one character and not dividing it evenly over two-three characters.

He can learn 2, but that's only before he makes one of them godlike and/or unstoppable. THEN he can grab two if need be, but what's the point of trying to train with 2 characters and being only mediocre with both when you can be really godlike with one and THEN start training the other one.

He can use 2 characters, sure. But you shouldn't try to train two at a time. Focus on one. Learn every small detail in regards to every match-up. Master it. IMO, Lukkay or any of you in MD/VA who are trying to break the "above-average player" tier should only be focusing on one character and attempting to win a few locals before even considering picking up a second back-up character.

Edit: The worst part is the whole concept of picking up a second character for bad match-ups. It's a scrub move because you're probably not losing the match-up because it's a bad match-up, but you're simply just not good enough with that character yet. Blaming it on the match-up is easy and shouldn't be the reason why you're picking up a second character unless you main someone who gets HARD countered like DDD or Ness.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I dont feel like any character hard counters either of my characters. As far as winning a local here, I guess my best choice would be pikachu, only problem is lies diddy and chu as well as pocket mks.

:phone:

Omni

BRoomer
I dont feel like any character hard counters either of my characters. As far as winning a local here, I guess my best choice would be pikachu, only problem is lies diddy and chu as well as pocket mks.

:phone:
Your Pikachu needs to be good enough to beat pocket MK's. That is the minimum requirement. And Pikachu can beat both Diddy and Kirby so.

Get to work.

Omni

BRoomer
It's difficult, but definitely not unwinnable. You gotta' at least be above average before you can start saying a match-up is too hard. PSHT.

Man, I'm goin' in. Lemme stop. We already know Luckay workin' on that Peach as we speak.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
And look where you ended up.

Seriously, bruh. If he wants to be a national threat.... especially THIS late into the game... he needs to be spending all his exp. on one character and not dividing it evenly over two-three characters.

He can learn 2, but that's only before he makes one of them godlike and/or unstoppable. THEN he can grab two if need be, but what's the point of trying to train with 2 characters and being only mediocre with both when you can be really godlike with one and THEN start training the other one.

He can use 2 characters, sure. But you shouldn't try to train two at a time. Focus on one. Learn every small detail in regards to every match-up. Master it. IMO, Lukkay or any of you in MD/VA who are trying to break the "above-average player" tier should only be focusing on one character and attempting to win a few locals before even considering picking up a second back-up character.

Edit: The worst part is the whole concept of picking up a second character for bad match-ups. It's a scrub move because you're probably not losing the match-up because it's a bad match-up, but you're simply just not good enough with that character yet. Blaming it on the match-up is easy and shouldn't be the reason why you're picking up a second character unless you main someone who gets HARD countered like DDD or Ness.
Main: :wolf:
Sub: :metaknight:
Tertiary (Rarely use): :falco:/:dedede:

Steve's right. I put a ****load of work into just my :wolf:. I didn't focus very much on my :metaknight: (Mostly because everyone uses him so I can learn from example/videos), but after getting my :wolf: to a certain level I did also try to develop my :metaknight:. I did however, make sure I learned two specific matchups with :metaknight: (:dedede:/:pikachu2:) for when I went him, but I also learned them with :wolf: prior to learning them with :metaknight:. :dedede: is fun to fight. :pikachu2: is boring...

Short term definition: Train a main before training a secondaries. Learning 2x as much matchups (Because you can be double blinded or cp'd) is much more difficult then learning all your matchups with a single character.

:018:

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
You right boss, good thing you don't do singles lol. I'm not dropping Pit. Just going to get pikachu amazing first, then Pit amazing. Peach is fun, can use her on the scrubs I guess lol. But we'll see I'll go all chu at chu's.

falco03

Smash Lord
m2k got ***** by pit. . esam was good with just pika. he beat mike haze m2k, every snake seibrik. you lost to tc mk at sktar so its you not the character.

i need to get better. my mk is for fun, diddy ,logic and ice climbers. if i was good my diddy should be able to beat anyone else. any character who can beat m2k is decent.

ices snake pit diddy lucario olimar game and watch mk wario.

the only people who can john is chu because kirby get heavy countered but he can learn the chain grab with ices

omni doesnt play enough
neo doesnt play enought
logic has bad defensee
coney doesnt has a character to compete with mk
lie dont practice diddy tech skill
chu doesnt no infinite with ices
luckay has not reached a good enough level with his character before he can john
june busy with school
boss doesnt try hard enough

i should not be winning tourneys. im not that good yet so you guys need to step it up

ChuDat

Smash Master
Hey guys I just moved here to Fairfax, VA pretty recently from SoCal and kinda wanna get back into the smash scene. I'll see if I can make it to some tournies and what not, but otherwise, is anyone relatively close to Fairfax that would be down to smash sometime? I also work in DC around 15th and L Street if anyone happens to be closer to that or in between or something.
Hey there! Welcome to MD/VA!

You can talk to us on the MD/VA Smash facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/groups/172681499463854/407312286000773/?notif_t=group_activity

Hope to see you soon!

Omni

BRoomer
yea wtf wouldnt Chu just be a better ESAM if he learned IC's and mastered the cg

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Lotta advice in this thread, so I should just keep focusing on MK?

yea wtf wouldnt Chu just be a better ESAM if he learned IC's and mastered the cg
Prolly, I always thought he just didn't learn it because he didn't wanna mess up with the Melee timing but since he quit Melee maybe now is the time..

:017:

Top Bottom