• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

OrlyMelee

Smash Cadet
The format en general is the always the same. Only values changes from what I've seen.
meh never mind ive used the auto hex tool on some other brres file turns out not every brres with mdl0 works on it i guess.. so i tried manual with the guide and all.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Does anyone know how to extract models from .wads? I'd like to extract model data from the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles titles (that are listed as using MDL0's), but I can't seem to find a way to do so. I've managed to unpack the wad, but all I get are .app files...
.wad files huh? You mean like Doom .wads?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
And now, time for another episode of...

ADVENTURES IN MDL0 EXPERIMENTING! ...ing... ing...

The model formats between Pokémon XD (also Colosseum, and possibly Melee) and the Wii's MDL0 aren't too much different. I just did a bit of an experiment just a few minutes ago, taking the raw vertex, normals, UV and polygon data directly from one of the unpacked files from that game, and pasted over King K. Rool's head (because it's a good way for me to test models without having to rebuild the MDL0 completely, having used it to test Bill's hat in the past), and what do I get?

A Timer Ball. I swear, I didn't make any modifications to the information I took from the Timer Ball's original file. I'll be trying this method with a few more things from that game sometime later.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Very interesting. Having any pokemon from cube games would be certainly very interesting =)

Looking forward for those melee tests O.o

Fen__

Smash Ace
Wow. This is kind of exciting. Have you looked into bone weights and stuff for MDL0 yet?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Wow. This is kind of exciting. Have you looked into bone weights and stuff for MDL0 yet?
Yeah, I will. After all, if I want to attempt to port something from a completely different game to Brawl, I'm gonna need to know.

(EDIT: Also, I won't be able to try anything with Melee right away. While it seems to have the right polygon format, the float values for vertices and whatnot seem to be stored differently... I'll go try one of the Pokémon's models from XD next.)

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
wow amazing discovery RandomTBush I wonder if any other games have the same format as the same game you ripped the timer ball from? Example Medabots Infinity, for gamecube and soul calibur 2 gamecube version (both awesome games plus Metabee and Nightmare rule ^^ (i hate how nightmare looks in soul calibur 4 they changed his appearance) :(

Edit : maybe you could rip someone's weapon from soul calibur or a bullet/missile from medabots infinity if you tried?

Edit as another suggestion try to rip the poltergeist 3000 from Luigi's mansion if it is possible

(also this is not spam i'm just suggesting some games is all)

LinkofAuburn

Smash Rookie
The Mobile Suit Gundam Game has MDL0's of some kind but so far I havent been able to get them to work, I'll keep trying though.

NaiBeatle

Smash Rookie
Anybody mind giving me an ARC extractor? Thanks :D Google doesn't help much because the ARC files are "corrupt"..

ManicHedgehog

Smash Rookie
Okay, question, what about .carc files, I imagine that they are just compressed .arc files, can someone give me info about that.

Olimario1892

Smash Apprentice
Okay, question, what about .carc files, I imagine that they are just compressed .arc files, can someone give me info about that.
you could try changing .carc to .szs and opening it up with SZS Modifier. I used it for Wii Sports Resort and it worked.

BTW when i hexed the model of WuHu Island and everything, I tried adding it to Final Destination and it froze. Anybody know why?

Fen__

Smash Ace
you could try changing .carc to .szs and opening it up with SZS Modifier. I used it for Wii Sports Resort and it worked.

BTW when i hexed the model of WuHu Island and everything, I tried adding it to Final Destination and it froze. Anybody know why?
Try asking in the Stage Hacking Thread in Customized Content.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
does anyone know how to find a SSBM obj model character like mewtwo since I want to test a thing :/
"google is not my friend". cant find any ;_;
if it works that I am thinking on... hehe... *evil plans* >:3
And now, time for another episode of...

ADVENTURES IN MDL0 EXPERIMENTING! ...ing... ing...

The model formats between Pokémon XD (also Colosseum, and possibly Melee) and the Wii's MDL0 aren't too much different. I just did a bit of an experiment just a few minutes ago, taking the raw vertex, normals, UV and polygon data directly from one of the unpacked files from that game, and pasted over King K. Rool's head (because it's a good way for me to test models without having to rebuild the MDL0 completely, having used it to test Bill's hat in the past), and what do I get?

*PIC OF TIMER BALL <3*

A Timer Ball. I swear, I didn't make any modifications to the information I took from the Timer Ball's original file. I'll be trying this method with a few more things from that game sometime later.
awesome timer ball :D

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
The Mobile Suit Gundam Game has MDL0's of some kind but so far I havent been able to get them to work, I'll keep trying though.
I'll take a look at it at a later time.

does anyone know how to find a SSBM obj model character like mewtwo since I want to test a thing :/
"google is not my friend". cant find any ;_;
if it works that I am thinking on... hehe... *evil plans* >:3
I'll send you an OBJ of Mewtwo in a bit. I'll have to rip it, first.

awesome timer ball :D
Ah, that was nothing, really. What I'm trying to figure out right now is how to transfer a rigged character model from XD to Brawl... Props seem to use a variation on the MDL0 format (which was how I was able to port the Timer Ball easily -- just a copy and paste of the info), but there are a bunch of differences with rigged models, it seems, from looking at May's character file.

Gundamsdboy

Smash Apprentice
Het RandomTBush, how did you fix that inverted error on your Sandvich? And is there any chance you could create a program to do that super omega please?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Het RandomTBush, how did you fix that inverted error on your Sandvich? And is there any chance you could create a program to do that super omega please?
I actually had to re-do the polygon data in order to fix that problem. It apparently wasn't just the normals, but the ordering of the normals as well.

And as for making a program to do so, I really don't have any sort of programming knowledge. But, I do have a book on how to learn C# that I borrowed from the library that I've been looking through, so I'll try to build a program to convert the data needed sometime in the future.

i amazed no body here has check the game Rampage: Total Destruction for the MDL0 format

here's a wiki about it so you know about the series ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_Total_Destruction
Well, I'm gonna say right now that it probably won't have MDL0, but it won't hurt to check.

Gundamsdboy

Smash Apprentice
Ah, thanks! Sounds tough! In the meantime, is there any chance you'd be willing to write up a short guide on how you did that?

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
i amazed no body here has check the game Rampage: Total Destruction for the MDL0 format

here's a wiki about it so you know about the series ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_Total_Destruction
That's made by Midway, which is based in America, and so far, only Japanese based companies have MDL0's, I believe.

Are there other ways to resize a model besides using Fortwaffles' model resizing tool? It doesn't work on many models, so is there anyway to resize them?

SonicTheHedgehog02

Smash Journeyman
I need help! I have the TvC model of Ryu. How do I get him to animate and stuff? when i try to load an animation of a char, nothing happens! Also, I dont understand the hexing tut because I have the newer BrawlBox.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Instead of using the hexing tutorial, Fortwaffles' automatic hexing programs can hex it for you quickly and easily, so try that out instead.

TvC's animations don't come in CHR0's, so that means that you'll need to make every animation by yourself, unfortunately. Maybe you can come up with a team to help you?

SonicTheHedgehog02

Smash Journeyman
I made a thread, but now i have a problem. i got Ludwig von Koopa, but all of his textures are black! Please help me!

EDIT: Also, how o I get it so the Character can be played in brawl? If it woul dtake too long to explain, PM me.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
For those who have a good understanding of the MDL0 format (*cough* RandomTBush *cough*, but I'm sure there are others), is there something that determines whether something can be vertex hacked or something like that?

I think Fortwaffles' model resizer works by vertex hacking each vertex group and then translating the bones to their new places, but when I use it on things like Yami's model, it only moves the bones and can't vertex hack the groups. When I use Das Donkey Vertex Box to try to manually vertex hack each group, I get an error when trying to make the .3DS file.

So is there a header I can fix or anything that I can do in Hex Workshop to make it so that the model is vertex hackable?

Midnite

Smash Cadet
NNID
AurumMidnite
Hey, RTB, haven't you ripped models from Kirby Air Ride before? Are KAR's models similar to Colosseum/XD/Melee's models, too? I have some KAR .dat files on hand, but I don't know how to extract the models from them, and you have much more knowledge about models than I do. >.<

(Note to mods: I'm not requesting any models. I'm just asking if KAR's models will work.)

kangaroogreen

Smash Ace
Hey, RTB, haven't you ripped models from Kirby Air Ride before? Are KAR's models similar to Colosseum/XD/Melee's models, too? I have some KAR .dat files on hand, but I don't know how to extract the models from them, and you have much more knowledge about models than I do. >.<

(Note to mods: I'm not requesting any models. I'm just asking if KAR's models will work.)
Do want.

Also, mods don't care. :laugh:

kirono

Smash Rookie
I hate to ask, but has anyone managed to find a way of resizing the Castlevania Judgment models properly?

Fen__

Smash Ace
I hate to ask, but has anyone managed to find a way of resizing the Castlevania Judgment models properly?
Fortwaffles' resizer. It's probably in the OP, but I'm too lazy to check.

Do want.

Also, mods don't care. :laugh:
They wouldn't have put it in the title if they didn't. Don't encourage anything that'll cause legal problems for the boards. No one benefits from that :/.

BobHop

Smash Rookie
As far as I know, Fortwaffle's resizer - although useful already - lacks floating point accuracy. Maybe it's not a problem with all models from all games though... Kirono, you probably should give it a try with your Cadtlevania Judgement models ; but expect them to come out distorded ! :p

kirono

Smash Rookie
As far as I know, Fortwaffle's resizer - although useful already - lacks floating point accuracy. Maybe it's not a problem with all models from all games though... Kirono, you probably should give it a try with your Castlevania Judgment models ; but expect them to come out distorded ! :p
I've tried the resizer in the OP, but like you said, the model come out REALLY distorted. I tried it with another game and it worked fine. Maybe Castlevania Judgment uses a different algorithm? IDK

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

I haven't looked into Kirby Air Ride's models, but they could be a similar format to Melee's... which I can't seem to figure out right now. In fact, I can't even get any of the other XD models to work for me (I tried Porygon, May and Mewtwo, to name a few), except for the Poké Ball models... So that's pretty much the only similarity they have to MDL0s, as the vertex weights and whatnot must be stored differently.

I've tried the resizer in the OP, but like you said, the model come out REALLY distorted. I tried it with another game and it worked fine. Maybe Castlevania Judgment uses a different algorithm? IDK
It's because the model resizer is limited, as it was written in Game Maker, and it rounds down every value to the second decimal value, and that easily distorts models.

Someone should probably write up a better one that doesn't round up/down any values, then there wouldn't be mishaps from using it.

Top Bottom