• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
<_< oops... my bad i forgot to mention super mario galaxy 2
dont get me wrong with brawl here.
Yoshi's model and textures are in Yoshi.arc, in the ObjectData folder (I think).

Do not expect them to work in Brawl, though. They're a completely different model format.

OrlyMelee

Smash Cadet
Yoshi's model and textures are in Yoshi.arc, in the ObjectData folder (I think).

Do not expect them to work in Brawl, though. They're a completely different model format.
i know :) i just want the textures and edit most of it on brawl yoshi

and i got as far as extracting it all but there mostly animations
there probably some textures in there though

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I'd read somewhere that there was work being done on extracting Melee models.

Did the Fighting Wireframes ever get ripped in their T-pose? I know their textures (simple as they are) have been , but how about the models themselves?

Clearly, I have an... interest in the oddball and normally-unplayable characters from Smash, or just about any game, for that matter, and would be interested in seeing their models 'up close'. Since I have the Alloys, the next step is to go for the Wireframes.

RaineFeanaro

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if Radiant Dawn uses mdl0? Cause I'd like to swap the Black Knight to Brawl.
It seems like they are in cms Files so I dobt, but you never know till you tried^^

tjmsrubegoldberg

Smash Rookie
I have found many files from other games that have multiple mdl0s only get the first mdl0 ported when I use the model porter. How would I port the other models inside the file?

You can either follow this guide or just hex each MDL0 after the first one manually by following the instructions that are in the first post of this thread.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Thank you for that link, imo it should definitely be included in the OP. If fortwaffle is still working on brawl hacking, hopefully he'll be able to update the application to fully port all mdl0s inside of a brres file.

Fen__

Smash Ace
It would help people to be able to help you if you actually stated how the files you're trying to unpack are archived.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
Would it be possible to convert a 7 up can i made to MDLO it has no bones i was thinking it should be used on my coolspot model as his taunt, i don't know how to hack so ... yeah some else can use him he will be up for grabs as well as the 7 up can for his taunt but it would be funny to fight on the 7 UP can as well XD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47251013@N08/4670515109/ here's what it looks like i think i did a pretty good job on it XD

IceCatraz

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how to extract models from .wads? I'd like to extract model data from the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles titles (that are listed as using MDL0's), but I can't seem to find a way to do so. I've managed to unpack the wad, but all I get are .app files...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how to extract models from .wads? I'd like to extract model data from the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles titles (that are listed as using MDL0's), but I can't seem to find a way to do so. I've managed to unpack the wad, but all I get are .app files...
The *.APP files can be extracted using U8Tool.

Just rename the file to a .szs and open it with the SZS Modifier. That's what I did, and it worked just fine.
And if it's an *.SZS file, then you could probably use YAZ0Dec.exe and U8Tool to decompress it.

IceCatraz

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Upon unpacking and rummaging around the files, I've found this to report:

characters.brres was run through mdl0headerfix, mdl0matfix, and mdl0polyfix. This .brres file contains most of the character models (and their textures) in the game. However, you can only view the first model (which I believe is of King, despite him having his own .brres file) - all of the other models cannot be seen, as previewing them crashes Brawlbox.

The few models I have been able to view (The king in character.brres, the king in king.brres, and dark lord.brres) seem to be the perfect size for Brawl (I cannot confirm until I place the model in Brawl)

Do you know why I cannot view the other files? There's at least 20 other models in the other files, but they cannot be seen without crashing Brawlbox. This is what the error dump says:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.MDL0Node.OnPopulate()
at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.ResourceNode.get_Children()
at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.ResourceNode.FindChild(String path, Boolean searchChildren)
at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.MDL0Node.ApplyCHR(CHR0Node node, Int32 index)
at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.MDL0Node.Attach(GLContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.ModelPanel.AddTarget(IRenderedObject target)
at System.Windows.Forms.ModelEditControl.ModelChanged(MDL0Node model)
at System.Windows.Forms.ModelEditControl.set_TargetModel(MDL0Node value)
at BrawlBox.ModelForm.OnShown(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

IceCatraz

Smash Rookie
Wow, thanks a lot, to all of you. I can also confirm that Muramusa: The Demon Blade does not use MDL0's. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn does not either. (Labeled as Fire Emblem 10 for some reason.)

BobHop

Smash Rookie
I might just as well say it here, if it can be of use to anyone (and to serve as a memo for myself, should I forget how it works xD ) : to get the exact number of frames for Monster Hunter Tri creatures models, you have to divide by 65536 the second "unknown value" displayed in Brawlbox. Also, the third unknown value (which is always either 0 or 1) seems to be the loop parameter. 0 = animation doesn't loop, 1 = animation does loop. :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to resize the models correctly, because the model resizer by fortwaffles messes wih the model's vertices somehow (lack of floating-point accuracy maybe ?). They just look... wrong. xD

Fen__

Smash Ace
I might just as well say it here, if it can be of use to anyone (and to serve as a memo for myself, should I forget how it works xD ) : to get the exact number of frames for Monster Hunter Tri creatures models, you have to divide by 65536 the second "unknown value" displayed in Brawlbox. Also, the third unknown value (which is always either 0 or 1) seems to be the loop parameter. 0 = animation doesn't loop, 1 = animation does loop. :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to resize the models correctly, because the model resizer by fortwaffles messes wih the model's vertices somehow (lack of floating-point accuracy maybe ?). They just look... wrong. xD
Yep. Fortwaffles wrote it in gamemaker language or something (I have no idea why), so it rounds after only a couple of decimal places. Someone really should rewrite it.

BobHop

Smash Rookie
You mean this value works the same for non-MH3 models too ?? That would be nice. :)

Emeril127

Smash Cadet
I kind of surprized that nobody has tried to make a vertex of The kingdom key, i would try it my self but im not all that good with vertex's better yet i dont even have the right program to make vertex hacks.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
It turns out that dividing Unknown2 by 65536 does not work for all animations. So for now, it is still a good idea to set the frames to 10000 and then play the animation and see how many frames it has. Here's a tip from what I've observed in chr0 files from other games so far, if the unknown2 value is quite large, you should probably make the frames more than 10000.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
RandomTBush, I would LOVE you if you would get Chell's Portal Gun in an MDL0. I need it for something.. :p

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Curses....just...Curses.. anyone know where i cant get some animations for toad like any good wii games?
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is probably your best bet. But even then, there aren't very many to work with...

RandomTBush, I would LOVE you if you would get Chell's Portal Gun in an MDL0. I need it for something.. :p
I could do that sometime later. Got a few other things that I've got to finish first, though (such as the Max's Severed Head hat for Pikachu, and a couple of things for Garry's Mod).

OrlyMelee

Smash Cadet
ya im a complete noob at this but i just cant follow that brres guide properly every bress file is different so what am i suppose to change if it looks completely different then what it shows on the guide.

Top Bottom