• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
Don't need to. It's in the first post of Pharrox's model extractor thread.

...but don't worry if you get a message saying that PatriotMods is an attack site. It's a false accusation. (My anti-virus doesn't fly off the handle like it does for real attack sites.)

I'll mirror it on the first post, since (according to brawlshifter) apparently you can get viruses from PatrioitMods. :x
tyvm TBush

EDIT: MUHUWHHAWHHHAWHAHWA after abt 10 hours of waiting

the textures are messed up though

shock44

Smash Journeyman
tyvm TBush

EDIT: MUHUWHHAWHHHAWHAHWA after abt 10 hours of waiting

the textures are messed up though
That is awesome!! I would love to see if changing the bone names would make him playable. Did you use the FMA japanese Wii game? Let me guess, you took the model and hexed it and it worked right? Can you give a link? Why do you think the textures don't map correctly?

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
That is awesome!! I would love to see if changing the bone names would make him playable. Did you use the FMA japanese Wii game? Let me guess, you took the model and hexed it and it worked right? Can you give a link? Why do you think the textures don't map correctly?
he seems to be the same size as the naruto model
because the green connecting points of the bones are larger than him
and im not sure abt the textues maybe i can try the texture header hex edit on the first post
ill finish it later goin to sleep

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
and im not sure abt the textues maybe i can try the texture header hex edit on the first post
Modifying the header won't do anything for BrawlBox's previewing. It just allows it to be exported to a DAE. For all I know, it could have the textures look fine in-game because of the material flags.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
Modifying the header won't do anything for BrawlBox's previewing. It just allows it to be exported to a DAE. For all I know, it could have the textures look fine in-game because of the material flags.
oh... then maybe it's the materials thing :p

ds22

Smash Lord
RandomTBush,
When you replaced Jiggly's hat with Megaman's drill, did you copy/paste the Material data over that off Jiggly's hat with or without directly copying the mdl0 header from the drill?
I was looking at some headers from both a Brawl model and a non Brawl model and there headers looked at some points alike.
Also, I tried exporting Naruto's DAE model (after I of course did the header rearranging) and it didn't export.
The log file said it encountered an error in the polygon group.
I tried searching for if I forgot to rearrange a polygon header, but I didn't see any header that was not rearranged (it may be caused by the fact I couldn't find each and every header, which confuses me).

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
oh and are u supposed to get the file from pokepark that's like Res00.dan
how do u open that?
because that's in the pokemon folder...

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
RandomTBush,
When you replaced Jiggly's hat with Megaman's drill, did you copy/paste the Material data over that off Jiggly's hat with or without directly copying the mdl0 header from the drill?
I was looking at some headers from both a Brawl model and a non Brawl model and there headers looked at some points alike.
Also, I tried exporting Naruto's DAE model (after I of course did the header rearranging) and it didn't export.
The log file said it encountered an error in the polygon group.
I tried searching for if I forgot to rearrange a polygon header, but I didn't see any header that was not rearranged (it may be caused by the fact I couldn't find each and every header, which confuses me).
I copied the material data including the header, though I had to change a few values back to normal -- "MDL0Offset", "StringOffset" and "ID" had to be changed back to what they were before to get it working.

And was it this error you got in the log?
Code:
ERROR: Unknown next type in polygon block ( 21 @ 10246 )
That's because AiS doesn't seem to have support for TriangleFans. If you didn't correct the polygon headers, it would just crap out in the middle of the log instead of giving an error like that.

According to BrawlBox's source, here's the different polygon types:
Code:
BoneDef1 = 0x20
BoneDef2 = 0x28
BoneDef3 = 0x30
Quads = 0x80
Triangles = 0x90
TriangleStrip = 0x98
TriangleFan = 0xA0
Lines = 0xA8
LineStrip = 0xB0
Points = 0xB8
Triangles and TriangleStrips are the most common. The alloys and every TvC character model (props seem to work fine) I've tried to convert has TriangleFans... which makes AiS refuse to export it, because it doesn't have support for those... (I can go into more detail about that if you want.)

So, unless someone's willing to code a new model exporter, it's not gonna work. D:

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Ah, that's extremely frustrating. That also means, by extension, that nothing can be done to make the models as they currently are without rebuilding them, right? Is this a universal dead-end, or have you only looked at TvC so far?

Not that this means our discoveries mean nothing. There may yet be some angle that hasn't been explored.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Ah, that's extremely frustrating. That also means, by extension, that nothing can be done to make the models as they currently are without rebuilding them, right? Is this a universal dead-end, or have you only looked at TvC so far?

Not that this means our discoveries mean nothing. There may yet be some angle that hasn't been explored.
I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that they use TriangleFans. I mean, the alloys have them, and they work in Brawl, don't they?

And I've tried putting other models through AiS after correcting the headers. So far, I know that Klonoa, Haruhi and PokéPark models seem to export properly, but they don't work in Brawl yet. But something is making them not work in the later AiS (v0.1.3). I'll look into that, because it might have something to do with why they aren't working in-game. (Did I say that before?)

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that they use TriangleFans. I mean, the alloys have them, and they work in Brawl, don't they?

And I've tried putting other models through AiS after correcting the headers. So far, I know that Klonoa, Haruhi and PokéPark models seem to export properly, but they don't work in Brawl yet. But something is making them not work in the later AiS (v0.1.3). I'll look into that, because it might have something to do with why they aren't working in-game. (Did I say that before?)
Right, I meant that it's a dead end for exporting, modifying, and importing. Your experiments have proven MDL0 can work. I wonder if you could ask Pharrox about AiS, he may have some explanation. Of course, he may not want to be bothered about that old project.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
i know right?
I don't think so. That's the stance and shape he takes in every other 3D Pokemon game. Brawl's is the odd one out because they needed him to have a wider range of movement, so the model is slightly different.

Revven

FrankerZ
Dang, they lazy. I'd expect them to do that with PBR, not Poke Park, but looks like they did the exact opposite. :dizzy:
Here's how it goes (a timeline of sorts):

Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Stadium 2 (reused the previous game's models, makes sense here).

Then we go to Pokemon Colosseum annnd... they reused ALL the models from PS2 and then made the ones from R/S/E from scratch, however those too also looked like they were from the N64. PC2 continued the trend of reusing the models however this is when they finally got around to touching them up (some of them were touched up previously but not many of them such as Nidoking). Still, it wasn't at all much better than the original PS1 models.

THEN we come to PBR, where they actually DID make changes to a lot of the older models (Wartortle, Dargonite, Arcanine all come to mind as touched up quite well) however many of them were only given a shiney look to their models. And PokePark as I can imagine uses the same models as PBR only... less shiney.

So basically the Charizard model originates from PS1 but they likely took it from PBR anyway and got rid of the "shineyness" aspect of it to give it a more cartoony feel in PokePark.

Basically, it's not that Nintendo is lazy per se (though you may as well call them lazy) it's that they have too many Pokemon to model if they want to remodel them under the new graphics these days. Instead they just reuse models and touch them up with a sheen, some actually get a whole overhaul (see: Arcanine's model from PC2 to PBR and you'll see the difference and it's actually MUCH better and makes you wish they did that to some of the others).

They also like to reuse animations as well.

BUT THIS IS HUGELY OFF TOPIC OMG I'M SUCH AN IDIOT.

n64billy

Smash Ace
Here's how it goes (a timeline of sorts):

*Great explenation*

BUT THIS IS HUGELY OFF TOPIC OMG I'M SUCH AN IDIOT.
Don't call yourself an idiot... Isn't that what this thread is for? Discussing the showcased models from Non-Brawl games...?

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
so if people get these models to work no one is allowed to post them then and you basically just add them yourself

shock44

Smash Journeyman
so if people get these models to work no one is allowed to post them then and you basically just add them yourself
Wait. Are you saying that if someone were to get someone like Megaman Volnutt working in brawl that they can't post it for a download? Could they at least post their process?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Fascinating... After correcting a bunch more values, now when I load up Moonview, I get absolutely nothing. And I'm being serious about that -- all I get is a black screen (and delayed sounds). But it doesn't seem to freeze when I pause, and I can even exit the match without it freezing then.

Hmmm...

(At least I now figured out how to make the files work in AiS 0.1.3.)

n64billy

Smash Ace
Fascinating... After correcting a bunch more values, now when I load up Moonview, I get absolutely nothing. And I'm being serious about that -- all I get is a black screen (and delayed sounds). But it doesn't seem to freeze when I pause, and I can even exit the match without it freezing then.

Hmmm...

This is..... great...... news?

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord

Hmmm...

PROGRESS.
This sounds so...interesting.
I might bug Middy for a link to it.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
ok well im close to a break through with PBR models
i've been able to extract the file using the .fsys extractor
then there are 2 LZSS files
apparently after u extract the LZSS files we should end up with the brres
anyone help me find a LZSS decompresser/extractor?

EDIT: so this guy here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=186227&st=15
said that he can extract them with this code here: http://pastebin.com/f67678659
try this someone and PM a dl for the output?

ds22

Smash Lord
I copied the material data including the header, though I had to change a few values back to normal -- "MDL0Offset", "StringOffset" and "ID" had to be changed back to what they were before to get it working.

And was it this error you got in the log?
Code:
ERROR: Unknown identifier in poly group (1)
That's because AiS doesn't seem to have support for TriangleFans. If you didn't correct the polygon headers, it would just crap out in the middle of the log instead of giving an error like that.

According to BrawlBox's source, here's the different polygon types:
Code:
BoneDef1 = 0x20
BoneDef2 = 0x28
BoneDef3 = 0x30
Quads= 0x80
Triangles = 0x90
TriangleStrip = 0x98
TriangleFan = 0xA0
Lines = 0xA8
LineStrip = 0xB0
Points = 0xB8
Triangles and TriangleStrips are the most common. The alloys and every TvC character model (props seem to work fine) I've tried to convert has TriangleFans... which makes AiS refuse to export it, because it doesn't have support for those... (I can go into more detail about that if you want.)

So, unless someone's willing to code a new model exporter, it's not gonna work. D:
Yeah I got an error with 0xA0.

So you copied both the Material data and header,
Did you included with that the Polygon data?
I want to try something out with this (maybe Naruto's kunai or Sasuke's sword).

Top Bottom