• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Fascinating... After correcting a bunch more values, now when I load up Moonview, I get absolutely nothing. And I'm being serious about that -- all I get is a black screen (and delayed sounds). But it doesn't seem to freeze when I pause, and I can even exit the match without it freezing then.

Hmmm...

(At least I now figured out how to make the files work in AiS 0.1.3.)
Gah, never mind about that. The value I changed broke the whole thing, so that nothing loaded (which was why it wasn't freezing, because it hadn't loaded up Moonview's data at all). I changed it back to what it was before, and it went back to the way it had been -- visible and glitchy. :x

But, like I said, I did find out how to get them working in AiS 0.1.3. Change the third set of four bytes in the MDL0's header from "0000000B" to "00000009".

And I'll keep working on trying to get it working. I have a feeling it might be the material properties that's stopping it from working now (since everything else seems to be fine), so I'll be making a list of what the material flags do (I already found one that make things see-through). Perhaps I might find some that make Brawl crash.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
lol this thread is so slow now
so? i have decent news.

To start off, i got saki from TvC working, but not important. before i did that, i had looked at in the the Mario Kart SZS editor (which edits models) and had made sure it was saki. now that i have edited saki for BB compatibility, she wont boot up in the MK editor (like brawl characters...).

So logically (i tried and failed, im positive i did something wrong. it gave me a "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection" error) if we reverse this process on a normal brawl character, we can get compatibility with a model editor. i am going to keep going at this until i can get it working but if anyone else would like to try, just do it!

ds22

Smash Lord
Yeah I got an error with 0xA0.

So you copied both the Material data and header,
Did you included with that the Polygon data?
I want to try something out with this (maybe Naruto's kunai or Sasuke's sword).
Looking at the values and hex again, I got a headache.
A bit to complicated (as for I don't know which value corresponded with which data (Stringoffset, MDL0offset etc.)).
So I'll go looking for more games with .mdl0's instead.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
so? i have decent news.

To start off, i got saki from TvC working, but not important. before i did that, i had looked at in the the Mario Kart SZS editor (which edits models) and had made sure it was saki. now that i have edited saki for BB compatibility, she wont boot up in the MK editor (like brawl characters...).

So logically (i tried and failed, im positive i did something wrong. it gave me a "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection" error) if we reverse this process on a normal brawl character, we can get compatibility with a model editor. i am going to keep going at this until i can get it working but if anyone else would like to try, just do it!
haha i just needed someone to post lol
i was bored

Eldiran

Smash Lord
And I'll keep working on trying to get it working. I have a feeling it might be the material properties that's stopping it from working now (since everything else seems to be fine), so I'll be making a list of what the material flags do (I already found one that make things see-through). Perhaps I might find some that make Brawl crash.
Ooh! That in itself is quite a discovery. Is this something that can be applied to any (or many) materials to make them see-through?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Ooh! That in itself is quite a discovery. Is this something that can be applied to any (or many) materials to make them see-through?
Most likely. I changed around a few values in the bottom half of the materials, not the top. The values are now the same between Link and Jigglypuff, but the results are not consistent between the two, oddly enough.

Jigglypuff has a weird effect with the drill, so that if it goes over something else that's see-through (the ground), it becomes invisible in certain spots. As for Link... I pasted the same material properties over his hat, and it's gone completely. (I didn't remove the polygons, I swear!)

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Interesting news from both Tbush and NWaA. Material flags hold a lot of potential for customization, and porting models to working editors may help until BB can handle that.

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
I wants to be productive. sense (EVENTUALLY.) we'll get external models working in brawl, I thought i'd get a jump on helping by animating some models in brawlbox for when they ARE able to be put in brawl. (i want to help out and im horrible with code and hex and that whole deal. lol ). I was wondering something, when models ARE imported, they would be under bones that brawl CAN read right? so I should start making the animations by renaming their skeleton(bones) onto an alloy right? i hope im making sense here.

btw, i completed my search thru my wii and gamecube games and could not find any models to work. im gonna take a look into my N64s and my X box games next. (has any1 checked Prince of Persia Sands of Time for models? im kinda desperate for him. lol)

n64billy

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff has a weird effect with the drill, so that if it goes over something else that's see-through (the ground), it becomes invisible in certain spots.
The exact same thing happened for Electvires feet when I put him over Donkey Kong... I didn't do anything but put in the model and textures, but that effect still happens....
Any chance that they're related?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Okay, so it can't be the Materials 2 properties that make the other MDL0s not work in Brawl. I copied a bunch of different ones from Roll's model, and none of them caused the game to crash. But I did get one rather strange result...

Somehow, one of the material properties made Jigglypuff completely see-through. Completely. Check where Jigglypuff's curl would be. You can see through Jigglypuff, and even through the Cracker Launcher it's carrying.

So, with that confirmed...

Definitions
Bones
Vertices
Normals
Colors
UV Mapping
Materials 1
Materials 2
Polygons
Textures 1 (Links to Materials 1)
Textures 2 (Links to Materials 2)

That basically leaves the definitions (and possibly bones?) now that could be causing problems with non-Brawl MDL0s...

ds22

Smash Lord
I found the character brres/mdl0 files from Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World and even do the rearranging stuff in the OP looks to work (you get the Polygons in the Polygon map), they still won't preview well.
The problem with these models is in the Bones, which are really screwed up 0_0 .

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I found the character brres/mdl0 files from Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World and even do the rearranging stuff in the OP looks to work (you get the Polygons in the Polygon map), they still won't preview well.
The problem with these models is in the Bones, which are really screwed up 0_0 .
Send me one of them so I can take a look at it.

...and it doesn't seem like the bones are causing problems. They're structured the exact same as Brawl's. That only leaves the Definitions now. Possibly the DrawOpa/DrawXlu, but I'm not sure yet.

ds22

Smash Lord
Send me one of them so I can take a look at it.

...and it doesn't seem like the bones are causing problems. They're structured the exact same as Brawl's. That only leaves the Definitions now. Possibly the DrawOpa/DrawXlu, but I'm not sure yet.
Send you the file.

And I hope the DrawOpa/DrawXlu is the problem and can be fixed.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Send you the file.

And I hope the DrawOpa/DrawXlu is the problem and can be fixed.
Hmmm.... I see what you mean about the bones. It looks as if every bone has a clone of the entire structure branching off from it, which is really weird. @_@

I'll take a look at it later. They could potentially work, but I'll have to figure out what else needs to be changed, first.

ds22

Smash Lord
Hmmm.... I see what you mean about the bones. It looks as if every bone has a clone of the entire structure branching off from it, which is really weird. @_@

*picture*

I'll take a look at it later. They could potentially work, but I'll have to figure out what else needs to be changed, first.
It may not be so odd, since it is a InBattle model.
Also, when opening the .brres file in SZS Modifier, he has a whole lot of folders (unnamed) which contains AnmChr(NW4R) folders.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
It may not be so odd, since it is a InBattle model.
Also, when opening the .brres file in SZS Modifier, he has a whole lot of folders (unnamed) which contains AnmChr(NW4R) folders.
Actually, it is quite odd if I'm able to export his model to a DAE without there being a million bones.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
OMG 0_o .
That is odd (looks nice do).
Which version of A.I.S. did you use?
Either v0.1.1 or v0.1.3 (if you correct the one byte set that I mentioned earlier) will work, but you will have to correct all of the polygon headers first (Materials don't need to be corrected for AiS, but they do need to be for Brawl.), or else you'll get this error:

Code:
ERROR: Unknown identifier in poly group (1)
Which program do you use to preview the .dae?
3DS Max 2009. You need the ColladaMax plugin, though, as the DAE importing plugin that comes with it won't work.

...and now I really wish that AiS had support for TriangleFans. So many things can't be ripped because there's no support for them. D:

ds22

Smash Lord
Either v0.1.1 or v0.1.3 (if you correct the one byte set that I mentioned earlier) will work, but you will have to correct all of the polygon headers first (Materials don't need to be corrected for AiS, but they do need to be for Brawl.), or else you'll get this error:

Code:
ERROR: Unknown identifier in poly group (1)
3DS Max 2009. You need the ColladaMax plugin, though, as the DAE importing plugin that comes with it won't work.

...and now I really wish that AiS had support for TriangleFans. So many things can't be ripped because there's no support for them. D:
I'll just leave that for now.
But at least now we know that Lloyd can be put in Brawl.

I'll stick with glc_player, which also displays .dae files, instead of buying (or pirating) 3DS Max 2009.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
I'll stick with glc_player, which also displays .dae files, instead of buying (or pirating) 3DS Max 2009.
GLC_Player doesn't seem to like Lloyd, though. D:

And the main reason I have 3DS Max is because it's the only 3D modelling program I'm familiar with, and I've used it to port models to Garry's Mod (so far, I've only ported the Ice Climbers from Brawl and two machines from Kirby Air Ride that I haven't gotten around to releasing yet)... and no, I'm not happy with the method I've gotten it. (Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person that can shell out thousands of dollars on things like that...)

Has anyone tried anything with Castlevania Judgement or TMNT?
Castlevania Judgment works well, but I don't think TMNT Smash-Up has MDL0s. Either that, or they have some sort of unknown compression. :x

ds22

Smash Lord
GLC_Player doesn't seem to like Lloyd, though. D:

*Lloyd triangle model*
And the main reason I have 3DS Max is because it's the only 3D modelling program I'm familiar with, and I've used it to port models to Garry's Mod (so far, I've only ported the Ice Climbers from Brawl and two machines from Kirby Air Ride that I haven't gotten around to releasing yet)... and no, I'm not happy with the method I've gotten it. (Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person that can shell out thousands of dollars on things like that...)
It's not just Lloyd's model. :(
Well, I think I'm going to get 3DS Max, though I'll have to sin in order to get it.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
It's not just Lloyd's model. :(
Well, I think I'm going to get 3DS Max, though I'll have to sin in order to get it.
I've committed way too many sins already (downloading ROMs of games I don't own to gather sprites, getting homebrew on my Wii and my brother's PSP mainly to play copied games, etc.), so there's no way I'm ever getting myself out of the hole I've dug myself into. >_>;

At least I'm not a complete cheapskate -- I buy games every now and then (though Brawl is still my most recent buy, and that was a few months ago).

ds22

Smash Lord
I've committed way too many sins already (downloading ROMs of games I don't own to gather sprites, getting homebrew on my Wii and my brother's PSP mainly to play copied games, etc.), so there's no way I'm ever getting myself out of the hole I've dug myself into. >_>;

At least I'm not a complete cheapskate -- I buy games every now and then (though Brawl is still my most recent buy, and that was a few months ago).
Same goes for me (with the sins and the homebrew, which I don't consider as a sin).
If I had money and the game was awesome, I would buy it.
But the problem is I almost never have money and the last game I bought was Pokémon Platinum.

I only hope that my laptop can handle 3DS Max.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Same goes for me (with the sins and the homebrew, which I don't consider as a sin).
If I had money and the game was awesome, I would buy it.
But the problem is I almost never have money and the last game I bought was Pokémon Platinum.

Yeah it's pretty much the same with me. I really need to get a job, but I just can't get one. So I don't want to run out money so I usually pirate my stuff. I really wish I didn't but I want to be able to play the newest games. I also plan on paying for some of the games I pirated once I get a job.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Heh. If the crappy computer I'm stuck with right now can run 3DS Max (my main compy needs a new power supply, which I can't afford at the moment), then your laptop should be able to run it just fine.

ds22

Smash Lord
Heh. If the crappy computer I'm stuck with right now can run 3DS Max (my main compy needs a new power supply, which I can't afford at the moment), then your laptop should be able to run it just fine.
I got it and it works.
I however am a noob with 3DS Max.

Anyway, did you found anything in DrawOpa/DrawXlu?
Not wanting to pester you of course, just curious.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Anyway, did you found anything in DrawOpa/DrawXlu?
Not wanting to pester you of course, just curious.
After looking through it, I don't think that's the problem at all. Lemme explain.

I found a blank MDL0 in one of Zero's effects files -- it was only 716 bytes! All that was in it were a node tree, two bones and three strings. No vertices, no polygons, nothing else. I replaced the Wi-Fi Waiting Room with that model and started it up. Similarly to the problem I had with Moonview, there was nothing there (although this time, there literally was nothing there). So, I thought, "Okay, let's see what happens when I pause.". I did, and it froze, which was unusual for a model with nothing in it. So, I modified the header a whole lot more than I had done already, put it back in, and tried again. Same thing, except it wasn't freezing when I paused.

I'm going to try it out on a few more things before I get my hopes up.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman

haha if ur asian it basically comes with your culture :p

amars464

Smash Rookie
So, I know, this is probably annoying as hell, but I just joined up here and I want to make sure I'm getting this all clear. Has this project gone from just making mdl0 files from other games work in brawl, to trying to convert models to DAE, and then into a working mdl0?

If that's the case, (and I'm still not too clear on the community's feelings on ripping models) I do totally have a Travis Touchdown model that I ripped from Desperate Struggle that I'm using to learn how to rig things properly, so this would definitely be the thread I'd want to keep an eye on.

piggybank67

Smash Journeyman
niceeee!!!
i still dont understand y that doesnt work with characters
can't u just treat it as an item?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
Alright, everyone. Keep your helmets on...

If this doesn't confirm that I now know how to get other models working in Brawl, I don't know what will.

Roll works in-game, over the Yellow Alloy. Only... I have to fix that texturing error. Not to mention that she's miniscule. :x

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Alright, everyone. Keep your helmets on...

If this doesn't confirm that I now know how to get other models working in Brawl, I don't know what will.

[b]Roll works in-game, over the Yellow Alloy.[/b] Only... I have to fix that texturing error. Not to mention that she's miniscule. :x[/QUOTE]

In other words, everyone, [U][B]the task that so many others have failed at is now completed, and every Brawlers dream has come true, thanks to RandomTBush!!![/B][/U]

So, how did you do it? What exactly prevented it from working? Also, what format did you convert it from? DAE or it's original?

Top Bottom