• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Brawl | STIGMA-B for 2010 yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_X_

Smash Lord
You guys have any thoughts on h4x?

We could do a total h4x thing aside from normal brawl...

Or we could make hack brawl the norm (prolly wont happen..)

Or we could run basic no trip codes and such for normal brawl...

Thoughts?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Hacked Brawl can't possibly become the standard. There are too many factors in the codes that are continually updated, requiring players to change their mindset all the time. Might also scare away newcomers, as it could be too foreign.

That and the novelty of the hacks wears off after a while anyway...

_X_

Smash Lord
Hacked Brawl can't possibly become the standard. There are too many factors in the codes that are continually updated, requiring players to change their mindset all the time. Might also scare away newcomers, as it could be too foreign.

That and the novelty of the hacks wears off after a while anyway...
To be honest I haven't seen that many of the hacks change at all...

They've had the same air dodge hack for months.

The only notable change would be the hit stun code. Haven't tried that yet.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Fix THE STAGE LIST. IT'S BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.
you should feel bad, you tried to put it all in caps (cause caps lock is cruise control for cool)
but you missed 2 letters.
thats bad and you should feel bad.

Dedu

Smash Lord
luke.

Trying to do it all in caps is basically fail thanks to the lame swear censor program on smashboards.
Damn motherfuckers.
It reduces all CAPS to Caps.

Its Almost Like Watching Someone Rape The Shift Key.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Stage list is good. Stage list stays =)
wew look at my new font colour (Cao stole orange)

The Stage list works wonders for improving on counter-pick stages. Plus there aren't any decent reasons for any of the stages to be taken off random ('cept for a couple). You will realize this after you ruin your unsuspecting opponent on their own counter-pick *thumbs up*
Btw aren't you bored of those neutral stages?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Ah well it worked for Melbourne all year.

HEY SHAYA YOUR OPINION SUCKS!!1!
Just my opinion =)

I think I'm aiming for February because of all the majors in January...but if I can hold this sooner I will.

Wulfis

Smash Rookie
hm all this sounds pretty good... except for one thing - the IC's 5-grab limit! :(

Is there any particular reason you're introducing this rule now? I hope no-one's become good enough with the ICs to break the game completely and make this rule a necessity. Please explain?

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
U can do atleast 70% with 5 grabs, so it shouldn't be too bad =D
And when you get to mid-high %, u can easily kill under 5 grabs, so no big deal I suppose

Edit: Hmm, actually probably not 70% with 5 grabs, idn >.< I think you can use the ice blocks on some characters to get a free grab or something and reset the 5 grab limit if that is the case

Edit: Actually with only 5 grabs, doing 0-death with ICs without spiking isn't really possible, which really hurts the cheap/awesome factor of ICs =(

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
i will come i sick of being borader line at this,also next year im gunna host a event in my town,.hope some of you can come

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
U can do atleast 70% with 5 grabs, so it shouldn't be too bad =D
And when you get to mid-high %, u can easily kill under 5 grabs, so no big deal I suppose

Edit: Hmm, actually probably not 70% with 5 grabs, idn >.< I think you can use the ice blocks on some characters to get a free grab or something and reset the 5 grab limit if that is the case

Edit: Actually with only 5 grabs, doing 0-death with ICs without spiking isn't really possible, which really hurts the cheap/awesome factor of ICs =(
Wulfis: does this post answer your question about someone being able to break the game completely with IC's? =P
Personally I don't agree with the 300% rule because basically if someone was good enough to do just that it means they win hands down, no matter how good the other person is at avoiding being grabbed.
Chances are I will alter the IC's rule anyway so don't fret =P
It's just my opinion that if anything should be banned in Brawl it should be this, Dedede's chances of doing unlimited chain grabs were removed and even if they are way easier to do it's kind of the same thing except you can do it on any stage..

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Fix the stage list. It's outdated. You don't use the same stage list that you made before Brawl came out lol

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza (D)
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege (D)
Smashville
PictoChat
Green Hill Zone (D)
Rainbow Ride
Corneria (D)
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium

Normally I would get rid of more but someone I know might start complaining :). 17 stages is more than enough for counterpicking.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I wub you Cobalt.

Anyway, 2008 CW Finals are confirmed - Saturday 17 January @ Deakin University, East Burwood. More details to come.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I wasn't informed of the stagelist update. Oh well I'll fix it but I like mine :bee:

17th Jan squeeeee

Edit: Actually after looking at this stage list I strongly disagree. Where's the reason behind Distant Planet being taken off the list but Green Hill Zone staying? Mario Circuit removed but PictoChat stays? What about Bridge of Eldin, Green Greens and Jungle Japes being taken off the list but Corneria, Pirate Ship and Halberd remains? If this is the case then we might as well just put the bare neutrals on and have the rest as counter-picks.
I refuse to do that. I'm up for altering the list but I don't agree with that list Cobalt.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Cobalt's list is fine, but may need the following:

Green Hill Zone off
Distant Planet on
Jungle Japes on
Pictochat off

The rest is fine.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Cobalt is a smart boy. He realises the current list is a camp fest, where a counterpick isn't actually a battle to tip a minor strength into an advantage, but just running away the entire time spamming lasers.

Distant Planet is a bit of a bad stage because of it's walk off/slope being an impenetrable camping zone if the player chooses to. (Just under the main platform on the slope). Just stay there and watch the player struggle to reach you in any way. The only thing good about it as a counterpick is the main platforms ability for opponents to just **** you from below (Pit for example). But usually a player does that while using the MEGA CAMP SPOT as his 'base', and just continues to do that (ultimate planking). THIS IS A GAY COUNTER PICK STAGE.

Jungle Japes is somewhat good and somewhat bad, the large amount of ledges and the less frequent croc thing makes easy to camp ledges. However, the control of the stage all goes to the centre platform - projectile or not, and you can back players into corners, so it seems like a viable counter pick.

Corneria is such a horrible stage, a quarter or more of the cast have an infinite, and I've seen match after match be someone camping up high and another low avoiding conflict for ages. Characters like Snake, Ness, Lucas, Zelda, Pit can stop camping easily, but then you have examples of MK vs G&W.. lulz lulz. This stage is a dominant Olimar counter for his ability to be "even" in recovery standards (good) but can completely zone [fortress himself] entire areas of the stage and safely camp it out (bad).

Green Hill Zone has some traits good for various characters such as Link and Tink's dair love (GOOD), while the centre of the stage gives you an advantage in dominance against most (bad), the stage naturally falls apart forcing movement and has the the continue points that can be (GOOD) and (VERY BAD). Of course stage edge camping with all the loveable one move kill at edge stuff Tink's dsmash, Ness bthrow, etc etc is (VERY BAD) too. Probably safer not to have it.

Pictochat is a final destination with continual hazards. At various points there are some camping effects/momentum stoppers for various characters, but the stage changes very fast (faster than pokemon stadium...). It benefits characters who can get reach to various stage hazards with their moves [i.e. the side spikes and ness' bthrow]. I don't see it as a campfest, but I feel kinda ignorant on this stage in general. Probably a good and fine counter pick.

Mario Circuit is a horrible walk off stage because of the platforms at both corners of the stage. Kinda like Part-2 of Castle Siege, but as the platforms are close together it's horrible. You can't aerially approach. Most characters can just camp the sides and be completely safe from said aerial approaches while having that 6 frame or less instant kill move if you **** up. A stage that destroys an entire mode of approach that benefits a camper is horrible. GOOD REASoN TO GET RID OF IT.

Bridge of Eldin should explain itself. LULZ FALCO SPAM LAZARS, STAGE MIDDLE BLOWS UP! SPAM MOAR LAZERS. The stage takes too long. And with the argument of the SBR saying "this stage makes matches reach its time limit continually" and CAO going "that's not a problem" when most ranbats have time running issues. (well even when Eldin's banned theres time issues though...). If you want an MK Counter pick that's less of a camp fest, you have shadow moses.

Green Greens is... well. Small, so camping is 'harder'. It however has some very engaging stage hazards (that can help camping)... It's kinda like Jungle Japes in various ways... It's a toss up.

Pirate Ship has awesome music. of course you should let it stay. I don't see it as that bad tbh... The worst part is the bomb stage hazard. BUT. You can't really camp except for the "rock island" part of the stage.

Halberd has several stage hazards. Aside from this it's fine in almost every way. It has the aerial part of the stage allowing flyers to go under the floating platform to have a distinctive advantage, but they can't camp it. It's less engaging than Pictochat. It's practically a god **** neutral. And many consider it close to being so.

I suppose a Pit main loves camping stages though :p

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Distant Planet is a bit of a bad stage because of it's walk off/slope being an impenetrable camping zone if the player chooses to. (Just under the main platform on the slope). Just stay there and watch the player struggle to reach you in any way. The only thing good about it as a counterpick is the main platforms ability for opponents to just **** you from below (Pit for example). But usually a player does that while using the MEGA CAMP SPOT as his 'base', and just continues to do that (ultimate planking). THIS IS A GAY COUNTER PICK STAGE.
You know you you love it. :p

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i made a mistake, i paid for it
ultimate fairness

it's not often in brawl you get punished for a mistake

Wulfis

Smash Rookie
Wulfis: does this post answer your question about someone being able to break the game completely with IC's? =P
Personally I don't agree with the 300% rule because basically if someone was good enough to do just that it means they win hands down, no matter how good the other person is at avoiding being grabbed.
Chances are I will alter the IC's rule anyway so don't fret =P
It's just my opinion that if anything should be banned in Brawl it should be this, Dedede's chances of doing unlimited chain grabs were removed and even if they are way easier to do it's kind of the same thing except you can do it on any stage..
I see what you mean, and if someone got consistent enough to make 1 grab = 100% minus one stock then I'd (probably) agree there should be some limiting. But one of the best things the ICs have to offer is their awesome grab game (even though their pathetic range makes it nigh impossible grabbing a good opponent in the first place) and as of yet I only see their CGs being used like Dedede's - just as a good way to rack up some extra damage. It's pretty rare to see someone manage to extend it to a 0-death.
Plus, while it's fun playing the ICs just of themselves, it's also nice to have the prospect of being able to possibly combo your foe into oblivion ;)

_X_

Smash Lord
@ The Stage Discussion

I suppose (well, this goes for pretty much everything) if something becomes a real problem we'll address it accordingly.

@Wulfis

The ICs are too monster with INF or 300% grabs. I might even vote for reducing from 5 to 3 or 4. I love to play the Ice Climbers but Fox hates them.... so much. Yeah, they're pretty broken.

Glad to see you on the boards though.

@CW FINALS

This wins, will get it off work tomorrow.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I suppose a Pit main loves camping stages though :p
I take that comment as a personal insult considering that I never camp.
If anything most of your descriptions are just you b*tching about Marth's weaknesses on those stages.

Anyway, I'll further look into this list. At the moment, as a TO I will keep it the way I like it but I will consider suggestions. Not complaints, suggestions

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Reducing IC chainlimits is pretty much making them bottom tier. They don't have that much of a game without them, hell even with infinite chaingrabs they are still only dwindling in high somewhere. A stupid idea.

Jei, Shaya just wants to kill his chances of being ***** by the characters that he has most trouble with. Most noteworthy would be ROB, Pit and ICs. - Keep Distant Planet in the list. It's just Shaya's preference to not have it there.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Jei- I'm not trying to get these stages banned because I think I'll be able to win easier. It's the opposite. I can abuse these stages far better than anyone else because no one understands as good as me on why these stages don't belong.

lol dookar <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom