• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
They prolly weren't really emo then lol just druggies

:phone:

Emo is an underground subgenre of hardcore punk from the 90's that you've never listened to. I doubt that you were dating any real "emos" either. Probably just some attention-***** in myspace that watches romantic anime and writes ****ty poetry.

I'm talking about emotionally unstable that dress all black, have amazing hair (not scene garbage), self-harm, and are into select post-hardcore. She definitely did try to play the depression and self-harm card to impress me at times though, plenty of her pretenses and behaviors were contrived, and she didn't know all that much about music.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Same for me except the drugs part.

I guess It is okay to be here then. It just feels strange how I'm being all buddy buddy with my communities competitor, but I guess that doesn't really matter.
Relax my dude (I'm going to assume you're male unless corrected). I think the best thing for both of our communities would be for there to be no ill will between us. Gotta say, reading through that thread on Shoryuken I was impressed by the drive some of you guys have and also the respect for Melee that some of you have. We don't get a lot of that.

I'd support the hell out of having a Skullgirls event at Genesis 3, why not? For all we know, olive branches could help keep both our grassroots communities alive.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Emo is an underground subgenre of hardcore punk from the 90's that you've never listened to. I doubt that you were dating any real "emos" either. Probably just some attention-***** in myspace that watches romantic anime and writes ****ty poetry.

I'm talking about emotionally that dress all black, have amazing hair (not scene garbage), self-harm, and are into select post-hardcore. She definitely did try to play the depression and self-harm card to impress me at times though, and she didn't know much about music.
Emos are people who complain a lot and have funny hair and cut themselves bc they want ppl to feel sorry for them lol

I just figured if she was a drug addict like you implied there was prolly more to it than that

:phone:

BrandX

Smash Ace
Relax my dude (I'm going to assume you're male unless corrected). I think the best thing for both of our communities would be for there to be no ill will between us. Gotta say, reading through that thread on Shoryuken I was impressed by the drive some of you guys have and also the respect for Melee that some of you have. We don't get a lot of that.

I'd support the hell out of having a Skullgirls event at Genesis 3, why not? For all we know, olive branches could help keep both our grassroots communities alive.
I'm a guy lol. It's a funny thing to say that, due to my other username I usually go by and my constant use of female avatars, so many communities think I'm a chick.

Also I am calm, I was just saying lol.

I do have a new found respect for melee I will say that. Maybe our communities can combine and create one huge powerful one...idk

also i really wish I could attend genesis 3..

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
You're on smashboards

Almost everyone is a guy with a girl's avatar

Just look at Sold2

I hit on him for like 3 months (no homo)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Good stuff guys. If smash makes it VGBootCamp will obviously try to be the smash Stream at Evo. We'll need your support though guys!

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
You're on smashboards

Almost everyone is a guy with a girl's avatar

Just look at Sold2

I hit on him for like 3 months (no homo)

I remember people from NS2 used to think I was a girl too because they thought Soren (avatar) was a girl.

I'm proud to say that I'll never belong to the girl avatar group, and I feel nothing but contempt for people that have female characters as their avatars.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I do have a new found respect for melee I will say that. Maybe our communities can combine and create one huge powerful one...idk
I've wondered for a while if Apex isn't maybe trying the wrong tack and that instead of trying to mesh with the big fancy names in the FGC we should try to organize all the grassroots communities that are bonded not by money or corporate support but the strength of their communities and the love of their games alone. Certainly I have a newfound respect for Skullgirls--so far your community looks to be our sole competitor, and it takes fierce organization to raise even the couple thousand you've got so far.

Related: How else are we raising money for this? We aren't done yet. Are there charity events coming up? One thought I had (that someone else probably came up with on the stream or something but I was only able to tune in long enough to ask a question about how to donate so bear with me while I pretend that this is my idea but acknowledge that it's very likely that someone else predated me by several hours)--try to organize a big hype money match or two and get sidebets, and all the losers of the sidebets donate their bet amount to the drive rather than to the bet winner. Where do we go from here?

Thinking about trying to sell some of my old Xbox games or something to kick up a little extra scrap next week, lol. "Buy my games! It's for boobies and Captain Falcon and stuff!"

BrandX

Smash Ace
I've wondered for a while if Apex isn't maybe trying the wrong tack and that instead of trying to mesh with the big fancy names in the FGC we should try to organize all the grassroots communities that are bonded not by money or corporate support but the strength of their communities and the love of their games alone. Certainly I have a newfound respect for Skullgirls--so far your community looks to be our sole competitor, and it takes fierce organization to raise even the couple thousand you've got so far.

Related: How else are we raising money for this? We aren't done yet. Are there charity events coming up? One thought I had (that someone else probably came up with on the stream or something but I was only able to tune in long enough to ask a question about how to donate so bear with me while I pretend that this is my idea but acknowledge that it's very likely that someone else predated me by several hours)--try to organize a big hype money match or two and get sidebets, and all the losers of the sidebets donate their bet amount to the drive rather than to the bet winner. Where do we go from here?

Thinking about trying to sell some of my old Xbox games or something to kick up a little extra scrap next week, lol. "Buy my games! It's for boobies and Captain Falcon and stuff!"
Yeah I guess you can say that is a major accomplishment. I guess me complaining the whole time was stupid since we raised something we never thought we would.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I've wondered for a while if Apex isn't maybe trying the wrong tack and that instead of trying to mesh with the big fancy names in the FGC we should try to organize all the grassroots communities that are bonded not by money or corporate support but the strength of their communities and the love of their games alone.

hell no

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Related: How else are we raising money for this? We aren't done yet. Are there charity events coming up?
Well the Winter Gamefest in San Diego this Saturday is forcing a $5.00 donation for anyone who don't bring setups. Think we may raise a couple hundred there, but that's about it. This is only for the singles tournament btw.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I remember people from NS2 used to think I was a girl too because they thought Soren (avatar) was a girl.

I'm proud to say that I'll never belong to the girl avatar group, and I feel nothing but contempt for people that have female characters as their avatars.
Huh. My avatar is an androgynous dude too (Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter). I don't use this avatar on any other forums (besides smashmods). Maybe it was a subconscious decision from lurking for so long?

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I guess you can say that is a major accomplishment. I guess me complaining the whole time was stupid since we raised something we never thought we would.
Yeaaa buddy

Remember, everyone wins at the end of the day, making mad bread for a good cause here

hell no

XD

Maybe "instead of" was the wrong phrasing, certainly Apex has been quite successful so I didn't mean to say it was the wrong idea entirely, I just think that the notion of bonding with some of the other grassroots communities has merit. If you have a compelling reason as to why it doesn't, go for it, but based on the fact that a number of people a few pages back offered to donate a little extra if we pushed for Skullgirls at Genesis 3, obviously I'm not the only one interested in the idea.

Well the Winter Gamefest in San Diego this Saturday is forcing a $5.00 donation for anyone who don't bring setups. Think we may raise a couple hundred there, but that's about it. This is only for the singles tournament btw.
Hm. Maybe a TO should make a thread in Melee Discussion to try and encourage other upcoming tourneys to do such a thing?

If I were better I'd money match people and give the money to the fund, loool

Are we getting 64 players / Brawlers involved at all? This would be good for Smash at large, I would think, not just Melee. Certainly there'd be a surge of interest in "the Smash community."

Just throwing out ideas at random, lol

BrandX

Smash Ace
Well I should most likely get to bed now, I have to get up at 3AM for work. I should of been in bed long ago, but oh well.

I just want to say that good luck to you guys and congrats on getting 13k. It's at least heart warming to know that even if the skullgirl community losses, you will at least still help us try to grow and become a flourishing game. I used to think that side tournaments would do jack crap, but seeing as your guys game has been a side tournament probably for years, it may actually be beneficial if we don't get the main stage at Evo2013.

Hey maybe if we work hard enough this year, SkullGirls will be at Evo2014 as a main game...it's a dream right?

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Well I should most likely get to bed now, I have to get up at 3AM for work. I should of been in bed long ago, but oh well.

I just want to say that good luck to you guys and congrats on getting 13k. It's at least heart warming to know that even if the skullgirl community losses, you will at least still help us try to grow and become a flourishing game. I used to think that side tournaments would do jack crap, but seeing as your guys game has been a side tournament probably for years, it may actually be beneficial if we don't get the main stage at Evo2013.

Hey maybe if we work hard enough this year, SkullGirls will be at Evo2014 as a main game...it's a dream right?
Never give up man. Melee is still thriving after over a decade--hell, by all appearances we may have actually experienced a net growth this last year. Who'd have thought Melee would be in contention for the Evo main stage?

I hope that there is no lasting enmity between our communities. Post in the questions thread or on character specific boards and whatnot if you are ever interested in learning more about Melee.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Seriously what is going on in this thread...

Shoutouts to everyone who donated though, I never expected to see a change that drastic in such a short period of time

BrandX

Smash Ace
Never give up man. Melee is still thriving after over a decade--hell, by all appearances we may have actually experienced a net growth this last year. Who'd have thought Melee would be in contention for the Evo main stage?

I hope that there is no lasting enmity between our communities. Post in the questions thread or on character specific boards and whatnot if you are ever interested in learning more about Melee.
I hope so too. Like I said. I want harmony and peace between our communities.

Also...I'll think about it. I don't own a melee disk and I would rather prefer to go for Project M if I did decide to play smash...

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I hope we all get made fun of for donating that much, have people call us desperate to fit in the rest of the fgc, and have people point out that we might as well may have hosted our own tournament with that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom