• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC Tournament Ruleset Discussion

KishSquared

Smash Master
Shouldn't ICs be banned? I'm quite certain that Nana's logic is partially determined by a RNG.

Go ahead. Prove me wrong.

Kal

Smash Champion
Oh, bam, KishSquared just legalized Big Blue. Go Kish. <3

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey Boat Mode, remember when you were in my APEX pool? Jesus, that **** was bizarre. I remember a bunch of NY guys hyping the **** out your Falco to me on some livestream and I got scared as ****.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Hey Boat Mode, remember when you were in my APEX pool? Jesus, that **** was bizarre. I remember a bunch of NY guys hyping the **** out your Falco to me on some livestream and I got scared as ****.
That entire thing was hilarious dude. You told me someone hyped my Falco and I was just like "uhh im rly bad teach me something while you **** me." You looked so relieved lol. We should play again the next national we're both at.

Who knew a gamertag would get me so much hype

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
...really guys?

so your opponent will just pick their favorite stages and you'll automatically ban them every time?

no prediction or thought involved.

unless you opponent tries to mindgame you by choosing a stage that he doesn't want and forcing you to ban it

but that's a dumb way to to picks+bans lol

i realize that i'm obviously wrong since bones and kal both disagree with me

but i want to hear more reasons for such a drastic change in the picks+bans metagame
Well I said "something like that" on purpose. I agree the whole "did he suggest his best stage or his second best stage?" is an unnecessary mindgame scenario that forces more luck into the situation. I was more thinking along the lines of this:
1. Winner chooses character
2. Loser chooses character
3. Loser chooses 2 counterpicks
4. Winner bans one of the two
5. Play on the second cp that wasn't banned

That's just an alternative I'd like to try. I really don't see anything wrong with my original suggestion. The only argument actually made was Pink Reaper's, and it basically consisted of "you can rely on secondaries to cover your *** on bad stages" which is my whole goal of changing the system...

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
That entire thing was hilarious dude. You told me someone hyped my Falco and I was just like "uhh im rly bad teach me something while you **** me." You looked so relieved lol. We should play again the next national we're both at.

Who knew a gamertag would get me so much hype

:phone:
LOL hell yeah.

Is that Sage Harpuia? **** yeah megaman Zero
YEAH DUDE

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I'm reasonably certain that most IC players don't know what a (P)RNG is.
I don't think I've heard anything as speculative and baseless in my life. I would absolutely love to hear what about your "certainty" is "reasonable."

Kal

Smash Champion
I did a run with no upgrades on Hard difficulty once. Never bothered with a speed run. The standard way to speed run Zero 2 was more appealing to me, as you would speed run the levels individually and then add up your total.

Kal

Smash Champion
I did a no-upgrade run on Megaman X, but couldn't beat Sigma. T_T

Kal

Smash Champion
I did a reverse run on MMX before. Bosses in reverse, Chill penguin as last, buster only. Sigma was HAAAAAAAAAARD lol but it was cool, it took two tries to beat him >_>
Wow, I tried to beat Sigma for three straight hours. Could get past his dog, but no further. This was without health upgrades, E-Tanks, and using only the buster.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This isn't the social thread guys, try to keep this topic on track. Please keep the irrelevant discussion to a minimum here.

If you blindly object to the ruleset, I would suggest being sincere with your opinions or remaining abstained from the discussion.

Kish seems to be trying to get genuine feedback but this must be difficult for him. He's trying to make this tournament as best as he can for everybody, so lets help him do that

Get Low

Smash Ace
The general happiness of Melee players if the standard ruleset is used > The general happiness of Melee players if this FC ruleset is used.

Obviously, if this ruleset is causing so much commotion, it shouldn't be used, especially when there is already a standard, widely accepted ruleset that exists.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yea, look at the pokemon metagame which is now the same as the melee metagame. Complain to get something banned>learn, play, win

Kal

Smash Champion
If Melee players were generally happier if we banned Jigglypuff, would we ban Jigglypuff? I used to think the answer was an obvious "no," but I'm a little unsure now.

It just seems obvious to me that the general happiness of players doesn't take precedence over the legitimacy of the ruleset. It's a tournament, intended for competition. Not a Smashfest.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we should ban jigglypuff though
and falco
and ice climbers

Smasher89

Smash Lord
we should ban jigglypuff though
and falco
and ice climbers
Sorry but the only legitimate bans is on peach and G&W, they have too much randomness that can influence a match once every half year.

EDIT: To not forget ICs 10 infinites, Marths uthrow to kills, shieks for chaingrabs!!!

EDIT2 after bones post
Luigi for misfire, DL for wind, Mewtwo for shadowball(?) where the only questionable is m2s shadowball if it is random or not.

Top Bottom