• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Milun

Smash Ace
Got it to work. :p
Just a very simple texture hack, to see how it would turn out -- Phantom Hourglass β. Got down nicely. :chuckle:
Cool. You win this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZAHAPT8G

Incidentally, you can copy and paste the model hex to any Mewtwo colour.dat you want. Oh, and uh... it's not perfect. Like I mentioned a while ago, he has a semi-noticable hole in his head (that's not noticable in a match without pausing), and a silver 'medallion' on his shoulders also caused by his neck-lessness.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
I looked at it and was like, "Uhhh lol?"

Now I know what you did.
All that's left is to get rid of that crap on his chest.
Giegue here we come! >:D

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Milun: YES. I'm gonna get to using that for my Giegue . . . This is getting more and more interesting; you're pulling some amazing stuff I didn't expect to see for a long time. :chuckle:

Sure, I'd be happy for you to take a look at it.

Here's a rar containing my .dat file thus far (with just two changed textures, but they work), the attempt I made to add the eye textures (crashed dolphin when I tried to load Jiggs), the tpl I created and the texture itself as a tga.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BEXQJU8G

And yeah, I realized pretty quick that my initial Pandapuff vision wasn't about to happen. Oh well. I'm settling for changing a few things around her eyes and generally making just something I think is neat to look at. Nothing too complicated; more just to see if I can do it.
SHOOT! I see what I did; it's a total error on my part. I listed
00017ba0
as the line to paste... when, in fact that's where you paste the palette! You paste the actual texture wayyyy above that, at
00013ba0
(You can tell because there are a bunch of 6's listed next to each other is where it starts/ends.)

I must've listed the palette instead of the texture the first time through. I'll fix that ASAP.
Sorry about the confusion. >_<

~On a side note, added a number of new character color costumes/stages/misc. stuff to my post on Page 4!

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
SHOOT! I see what I did; it's a total error on my part. I listed
00017ba0
as the line to paste... when, in fact that's where you paste the palette! You paste the actual texture wayyyy above that, at
00013ba0
(You can tell because there are a bunch of 6's listed next to each other is where it starts/ends.)

I must've listed the palette instead of the texture the first time through. I'll fix that ASAP.
Sorry about the confusion. >_<

~On a side note, added a number of new character color costumes/stages/misc. stuff to my post on Page 4!
Haha, no worries, I'm just glad to see I'm probably on the right track for this. Thanks, and thanks for the other texture dumps.

hooray, it's working! now to just make something not-ugly.

Milun

Smash Ace
Hey, has anyone figured out where edges of models are stored? I've searched for hours, and haven't figured much out.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hey, has anyone figured out where edges of models are stored? I've searched for hours, and haven't figured much out.
Mm, I'm afraid that kind of thing is totally out of my league, but, where specifically are you searching?
(Also, have you had the chance to look through Gamewatch's DAT? I can't seem to pinpoint his colors. :p )

Milun

Smash Ace
I'm searching through the TyHeart.dat. Yes, I know it's a trophy, but surprisingly, the model extractor works with it anyway, so I chose it because it's got very little vertices, and because It's got a small hex file. I did get the edges to significantly screw up by changing one number, but I see no pattern in the hex.

And I'm sorry, all I know about Game and Watch is that he has absolutely no textures, and that he's in full 3D when his model s extracted.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
KirbyTool is out!
I made a website so I wouldn't have to post everything in this thread.
http://libertyernie.heliohost.org/KirbyTool/
This could be adapted to other Melee textures as well, but it takes a while to write the scripts, since each .dat file tends to have different texture locations.

Textures supported: Eyes, feet, mouth, hands, 100t-block
Colors supported: all
Kirby hats supported: Mewtwo, Jigglypuff
Kirby hats NOT supported: Donkey Kong, Falco
(I tried editing the DK cap, and it froze Dolphin; Falco uses different eye images anyway so I just decided it wasn't that high on my priority list.)

Steelia

Smash Champion
KirbyTool is out!
This could be adapted to other Melee textures as well, but it takes a while to write the scripts, since each .dat file tends to have different texture locations.

(I tried editing the DK cap, and it froze Dolphin; Falco uses different eye images anyway so I just decided it wasn't that high on my priority list.)
Using straightaway. Though, just a question, does your program also support Photoshop, or was GIMP just an example for a texture editor?

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Melee texture hacks are more technical than Brawl texture hacks.
/thread.

Sorry if I missed a link, but could I possibly persuade you to PM a melee iso to me? If textures are included nifty-neato, if not, poop.

Thanks, and if you don't post it that's fine too.

Milun

Smash Ace
Nice program, can't wait to use it!

I may have to give up on finding model edges for now. After hours of research, I have come up with nothing, and the email I sent to Jahra!n regarding the topic a week ago is still unanswered (and judging from S.'s results, it's not likely to ever be). But the good news is, in my countless trials, I figured out how to change how lighting affects the model, and where the UV for the textures is stored. But sadly, these are of no use without the vertices.

EDIT: Hooray, I finally figured out the darn edges. I'll be updating my program to support them.

Steelia

Smash Champion
*On a side note, go figure Photoshop works with the program. Hexed up a complete Kirby costume, something I'd been putting off for a long time till now... It's like ASH for Melee's Kirby, love it! :D

/thread.

Sorry if I missed a link, but could I possibly persuade you to PM a melee iso to me? If textures are included nifty-neato, if not, poop.

Thanks, and if you don't post it that's fine too.
I could've sworn there was something in this topic...? Browse around a bit. I can't remember what page (if in this topic at all), but I KNOW I saw someone make a similar request, and it was answered.
If you don't find anything, I'll look into it myself.

Nice program, can't wait to use it!

I may have to give up on finding model edges for now. After hours of research, I have come up with nothing, and the email I sent to Jahra!n regarding the topic a week ago is still unanswered (and judging from S.'s results, it's not likely to ever be). But the good news is, in my countless trials, I figured out how to change how lighting affects the model, and where the UV for the textures is stored. But sadly, these are of no use without the vertices.

EDIT: Hooray, I finally figured out the darn edges. I'll be updating my program to support them.
....Change lighting? DOES THAT MEAN WE CAN STOP MAKING SAMUS AND BOWSER AND PEACH LOOK LIKE PLASTIC AND YOSHI AND FALCO CAN STOP HAVING TINTS?
*coughcough* I'm sorry. The plastic-y look is a BIG problem, with a handful of textures (primarily Yoshi, Falco with automatic tints, and the lighting on most characters taking away from the textures themselves). If that's true, then superb! Hopefully a way will be found out on how to mess with those buggers.

Oh, and nice work finding out the edges! But, eur... what does that mean exactly? :b

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
KirbyTool is out!

Nice program, do you mind if I take a crack at converting it to work with other characters? (specifically Jigglypuff).

I'm not sure how far I'll get, the only thing I really have the capability to edit at the moment is the hexget.c file, are the rest of the .exes also coded in C? If so, could I maybe get the code for it?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
The files you need to edit are the .cyg files - they are shell scripts that run on a miniature Unix environment which the other .exe files set up. The .sh files are the Linux versions.

Keatsta

Smash Apprentice
The files you need to edit are the .cyg files - they are shell scripts that run on a miniature Unix environment which the other .exe files set up. The .sh files are the Linux versions.
Ah, very cool. I'm not too familiar with Unix commands, but I think I have a general idea of what's going on in the .cygs. I'll mess around with it a bit if I have some free time.

Milun

Smash Ace
But, eur... what does that mean exactly? :b
If you open a model in a model editor, edges are the lines connecting the dots. A triangle made of edges, and filled is called a face. You'll see what I mean when I provide a snapshot.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
all of this progress brings a tear to my eye

you guys are insanely awesome

oh also i could upload a new melee iso with a bunch of textures on it i suppose

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, So much progress in such a short time.
We've got some model hacking, an ASH type program for Kirby and possibly Jiggs.
All I've got to say is raaaaaaaaaaape
Keep it up!

And yes you should make a new melee Iso.
But wait for S to update for New Years. =D

Milun

Smash Ace
Don't get your hopes up on edges being available any time soon though. Unlike points, which follow the same pattern for every model, edges have a unique pattern, that's quite hard to pinpoint. Here's what I mean:

Notice that half of (Kirby's) cap has it's faces aligned neatly, while the other half is a complete mess because the pattern changed without warning. This might take a while.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
i would think the edges would just go from point to point.. kinda like 'connect the dots'
if not what's the point of the points? (no pun)

Milun

Smash Ace
Yeah it would seem that way, but it's not always a case of "the closest point is the right point", plus how would the 3D modeler know which points to connect. If it had something like this:

How would it know to do this:

\

not this:

/

...just go with me on this, it is necessary to decifer them. Incidently, this will really take a while. Sometimes the pattern isn't even visible by the eye, so I'm trying to find a math equation that works with it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ah, no sweat, Milun. Take as long as you need; I understand it's a very tedious process . . . No different than texturing in that sense, but of course there aren't that many tools to really help out...

In any case, Happy New Years, all. Hopefully we'll discover a LOT more this year (last year alone -- from July onward -- we got so much progress, it was something I could only daydream about :p ).

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Yeah it would seem that way, but it's not always a case of "the closest point is the right point", plus how would the 3D modeler know which points to connect. If it had something like this:

How would it know to do this:

\

not this:

/

...just go with me on this, it is necessary to decifer them. Incidently, this will really take a while. Sometimes the pattern isn't even visible by the eye, so I'm trying to find a math equation that works with it.
well what do the points even do?
imo it would make the most sense to do this
|
obviously you know what you're doing, i'm just curious

Steelia

Smash Champion
You bet I did. I wasn't about to leave you guys hanging... especially on New Years! :laugh:
Besides, I still felt that I needed to catch up to my texture showcasing quota... Helps motivate me a little bit knowing I need to pick up the pace again.

Hope that works... Don't forget to check the Christmas one, in case you missed it. :p

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Wow. They ****. I like the Brawl Samus the best. I think the Brawl Pikachu is a little too dark though. Just givin my opinion. :)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Wow. They ****. I like the Brawl Samus the best. I think the Brawl Pikachu is a little too dark though. Just givin my opinion. :)
Hey, it was strict copy-paste in the case for Pikachu... What you see in Melee, is what you're actually seeing in Brawl. (Brawl has an INTENSE lighting system... And being an ex-Brawl hacker I can definitely clarify that. :mad: )

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
So brawl characters are just touched up version of melee ones with a different lighting system???

God ****! Brawl was a all around rip off!

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, since I've gotten little progress on finding the edges, I've decided to take a break for a while, with this:

To answer you're first question: No, they are still there, they're just invisible. I'm trying to trial-and-error my way to removing them, but wouldn't the stage be so much more fun if I do?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, since I've gotten little progress on finding the edges, I've decided to take a break for a while, with this:

To answer you're first question: No, they are still there, they're just invisible. I'm trying to trial-and-error my way to removing them, but wouldn't the stage be so much more fun if I do?[/QUOTE]

I just about **** a TON of bricks before reading your end comment, but either way this is certainly shaping into something very intriguing.

@Your Q: Hmm. I don't know; wouldn't it seem kind of... small? Granted, I would replace my old MK in a heartbeat (just to see how it works out; the blocks hovering over the removed edges of the stage would make for some interesting recovers/battles)... but the floor itself seems a tad small. Not that I'm telling you to do anything about it, just my thoughts on it. :p

It would be even better if we could sneak something like this into Melee tourneys... While I know that's a bit of a pipe dream (no pun intended), at least it would get some attention to what's going down in these here parts.

Top Bottom