• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, my intentions are to:

1: Remove the hitboxes for invisible parts (that's a given).
2: remove breakable blocks OR move them to be like "Destructible recovery platforms".
3: (Long shot) Move the weight's a little lower, so in a battle, the opponent/team member can weigh them down to screw up/aid recovery.

Also, I think the stage is about the same size as Fountain of Dreams, so it should be fine, plus with the lifts and blocks, it's probably bigger (plus the boundaries are much wider).

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
OH EM GEEEEEE

This just reminds me of the Brawl+ hacking where they're making a bunch of SSE stages playable. =D

If what you want to do is possible then wow. Making Yoshi's Islan playable how Tichinde925 said would be pretty **** too.

But I was wondering would the deathzone be able to be changed?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ah... Speaking of which, Milun, something that occurred to me about the customized MKI stage, whenever the match starts up... won't P1 and such fall to their deaths almost instantly because of the parts of the stages they would normally spawn over, now gone? I'm not sure if the game automatically relocates the spawning areas, or if there's a method of moving them manually... but, just something I couldn't help but wonder about.

In any case, on my texturing journey, I have come to realize that I literally need about... fifteen or so costumes, before I've textured each and every character costume in Melee, Sandbag, Giga Bowser, Wireframes, Hands included. Wholly smokes. o_O

LLDL

Smash Hero
I have a simple request. Can somebody hook me up with Falco with a pink jacket? PLEASE?!

Milun

Smash Ace
First off, S., congrats on your hacking achievement!

And second............ I honestly didn't even think of the starting points. I think, that in 1 vs. 1's it'll be fine, because both players start on opposite points, and I'm almost positive that every character will be able to make it back. Still, you got me thinking. Oh yeah, incidentally, I haven't gotten any tip-offs in the hex as to where it could be.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Did anyone test mine? it probably looks horrid because i just made it solid pink but i still wanna see it :p

edit; i tested it today it's more magenta than pink i'll fix that
looks like this now
http://img97.imageshack.us/i/falcos.png
EDIT2: touched it up a bit:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4165/falcopink.png

download it at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=66CEPE3Y
pink jacket falco replaces PlFcRe.dat, the red falco costume

edit3:hmm the arms don't seem to match up with the rest of the jacket ehh

fixed
if anyone else wants it get it @ http://www.megaupload.com/?d=POGTRP1D

LLDL

Smash Hero
Thanks alot DNS, 2 good. I'm going to start my own textures this weekend. I'm thinking of giving ganondorf captain falcons outfit.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
loll someone help with the sandbag.. it's all _9s which is probably my problem.. 99% sure my problem is in the hexing.. and i can't get the top of the bag to change; it's always white
the placements.txt says
Code:
01 - 00002e00 (32 lines*)
~
02 - 00007020 (16 lines) -128 [128MAX]
i would assume that means i should copy 01.tpl from 260 down, paste it to 2e00,
then copy from 20 to 210 and paste it to wherever that finishes,
then skip all the way down to 7020
and paste line 260 and below from 2.tpl
then copy the first line 20 to (180? idk it's the next 16 lines)
and paste that to where the texture data from 2.tpl (260 down) ends

...Right?

Steelia

Smash Champion
then copy the first line 20 to (180? idk it's the next 16 lines)

...Right?
I'm afraid the 16 line part is a little more complicated.
You nailed the first one, no problem . . .
But the second one, will require a program called HEX WORKSHOP HEX EDITOR (at least, that's what I use). It's a free program, no worries.

First off, you MUST make sure the Sandbag top is 128 COLORS OR BELOW; when you Index it, make sure it is 128 COLORS OR LESS. No more, but less is OK.

Whenever you convert your textures via TCS to TPL, you have to open your Sandbag head (in your case, 2.tpl) in HEX WORKSHOP... Then, you select the hex info (line 260 down), and Subtract 128 from the file.
*In HEX WORKSHOP, line 260 may be located differently; it depends on how the hex is formatted. I know in my Workshop, I have to select from line 0000024C on down. MIGHT be different for you, so keep an eye on that.*

Tools -> Operations -> Subtract...

The window should look a little like this~

DESCRIPTION
Replaces your data with your data minus another value (data = data - value).

Operand
Treat Data As: 8 Bit Unsigned Byte
Byte Ordering: Little Endian (e.g. Intel)
Value: 128
[x]Decimal [ ]Hex

Apply On
[x]Selection [ ]Entire File

Once you have done all that and checked off all the options so they look like the info above... click OK, and you're good!

NOW you can paste the hex data, only this time....

would assume that means i should copy 01.tpl from 260 down, paste it to 2e00,
then copy from 20 to 210 and paste it to wherever that finishes,
then copy line 120 to line 210 ---> 16 LINES OF PALETTE HEX DATA

Hope you were able to make that out. :p

*Just a side note,
...With ANY texture that has the
(## lines) -### [###MAX]
format, that is NOT 32 lines, will require this format... Just, of course, replace 128 above with whatever is under -###.

Steelia

Smash Champion
oh, the #2 folder is called '02back'
it's a bit misleading, i didn't know that there was a top one :S
Whoops! My fault; yes, that is actually his top. I wasn't aware of that, either... until I actually created a texture for it. Seems I forgot to change that placeholder name for the folder. Didn't mean to confuse. XP

`DNS`

Smash Lord
well i did what you said and it still doesn't work.. i must've messed something up

oh and i tried to do something on green marth before.. the tcs files are a bit messed up.. i moved them back into the main folder and fixed them.. but (probably) the reason you had them in \tcs\ was to keep is cleaner, and now it's a big mess

actually, maybe i didn't do what you said exactly.. i'm supposed to select all from OFFSET 260 to the bottom, then subtract?

Steelia

Smash Champion
actually, maybe i didn't do what you said exactly.. i'm supposed to select all from OFFSET 260 to the bottom, then subtract?
Offset 260, correct. Pardon if I didn't make that clear. But ONLY if you're using HEX WORKSHOP.
Thing with HEX WORKSHOP, though, the... placement of offset 260, can be in a different area. I don't know if that's the case for you (hopefully not; hopefully the starting line of the texture hex is in the same place in all your hex programs).

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Alright well I'm going to stay up all night cuz I slept all day, so to turn it into a positive instead of playing video games all night.

So... I'll see if I can accomplish it, wish me luck. :p

Steelia

Smash Champion
Haha, very nice, Zyx. Hope to see a little more out of you, eh? ;)

Well, I'm having a bit more progress with the edges, and now it's only a matter of making my program perform the pattern properly. I've made a website in case anyone wants to learn how to convert the hex:

http://meleeconverter.bravehost.com/info.htm
Fascinating stuff . . . With the mini-guide you supplied there (along with the one that came with the Converter), I will be sure to take a closer look into it.
Though, quick question, with the .obj files, what would I need to view them in? Is it possible to view them with a model viewing program, like, say, 3ds Max or Maya?

Milun

Smash Ace
Though, quick question, with the .obj files, what would I need to view them in? Is it possible to view them with a model viewing program, like, say, 3ds Max or Maya?
Of course. The reason I keep mentioning Blender is because it's my testing program, so I have a guarantee it works when Importing back into Melee.

Steelia

Smash Champion
oh man 666 posts in this thread

also when saving the TGA as indexed in GIMP, is it any different than in photoshop?
Hmm.
I've heard that if you were to Index textures in GIMP (specifically _9 textures), it would automatically do the whole subtraction mathematics for you, instead of having to go through the whole HEX WORKSHOP process. Given you give it the correct amount of max colors, of course.
I haven't tested this out for myself yet, but... just what I heard from the Brawl side of things.

Of course. The reason I keep mentioning Blender is because it's my testing program, so I have a guarantee it works when Importing back into Melee.
All right, just reclarifying. I'll probably look into using Blender as well, just to be on the safe side.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
well i can't get the sandbag to work.. idk if it's because GIMP is different from photoshop or if it's a hexing error.. but it won't show up properly in Dolphin no matter what I do (the side AND the top)

edit; i was using the photoshop trial but it ran out :x

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, I tried my best, and it can seriously glitch, thanks to all the random pattern changes in every different model file, it just won't ever work flawlessly. Sorry for my constant use of bold, but it really annoys me when I can't get something perfect. Well, anyway, here's what it can do in it's best (the first 11 are examples of various glitches, #12 is the best case scenario).

Notice how they are checkerboards. I have no idea how to remove this. At EmuTalk, I heard tell of triangle groups, and as it turns out, they managed to crack the edges fully for the trophies. But alas, I cannot contact a single member from that thread, so I'll have to discover it myself. I've updated my website with the new research I've made.

Now, here's something much more interesting. While searching some dead threads, I found this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8RNKXHMD

This doesn't import back into Melee, but not only does it include the source (in a programming language I can't make sense of), but it's also told that it exports Trophies to .obj's, with edges, flawlessly. I haven't beeen able to get it to work, but if anyone can make sense of it, or even get working, then...

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Haha, very nice, Zyx. Hope to see a little more out of you, eh? ;)
Thanks ! ^^
But I've a problem. I use the tryal version of Adope Photoshop which will end after 30 days... Do you know how to save "32bits/pixel .tga" with photofiltre, GIMP or any free sofware ? It will help me to continue my hacks ^^

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Zyx: I'm afraid not; all I've ever used is Photoshop (as have other Brawl/Melee hackers I've known of, incidentally).

@Milun: Woah, crazy eggs.
I checked into that SSBM Ty Converter you supplied; whenever I tried it, I was able to import Mewtwo's Adventure Mode trophy; it spat out an .obj file. Opening it as a TXT file, it appears to have spat out a lot of vertices. Not exactly my field, but this is just a very small sample of what I got:

v 4.007813 4.101563 5.0625
v 4.398438 4.398438 4.28125
v 4.5 5.03125 4.085938
v 4.75 4.523438 4.554688
v 4.882813 5.03125 4.570313
v 4.53125 4.257813 5.179688
v 4.726563 4.796875 5.375
v 4.117188 4.234375 5.875
v 4.125 4.617188 6.148438
v 3.679688 4.078125 5.835938
v 3.445313 4.4375 6.3125
I have no idea if you were able to get the thing working at all, though. I downloaded your Blender, but it keeps being a b**** and won't let me import it. Same with 3ds Max, not finding texture maps or something rather.

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Ok thank you S. I think I'll buy Photoshop or something.

Also, I've some troubles with the "MnSlChr.usd" hack... :
- Is the "tex#00_09+2.tga" file a "_9.tga" file ?
- I know where my texture goes in the "MnSlChr.usd" file, but I don't manage to create the .tpl file for my new textures... Can you explain me ?

Please help me ! ^^
Thanks !

Steelia

Smash Champion
~That's correct, tex#00_09+2.tga is another variation of saying "_9".

~You can't create the .TPL? Was there something wrong with the original .TCS file?
Your TCS file must follow this format:

file 0 = [full location of .tga]
image 0 = 0, x, type
palette 0 = 0, type2
texture 0 = 0, 0
[full location of .tga] is... well, where your .TGA file is located, the one you want to edit.
type, in this case, would be CI8, because the texture is a _9.tga file.
type2, again in this case, would be RGB5A3, because the texture has transparency.

So, in the end, it should look a little something like this:

file 0 = C:\MnSlChr\01\tex#00_09+2.tga
image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB5A3
texture 0 = 0, 0
For each edited texture, you need to make a .TCS file with it. Not too hard, though; all you need to do is replace "01" with any other folder number with the edited texture.

Hope you were able to get that. (:

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
error :
TCSet palettes : file 87\tex#00_09+2.tga has no palette
That's what it says for ORIGINAL and NEW textures... I think I've missed something.

Hum... Also, I think my new texture has no transparency. Is that a problem ? I just have to write RGB565 instead of RGB5A3 right ?
Thanks for your help ^^

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ohhh, it says "no palette"... That means you didn't Index the file. For CSPs, the Index can be as high as it wants, all the way to 256 colors (the max).

*******To make a texture transparent, all you have to do is make the background of the CSP a magenta color. Kind of like this:

See how the character is left alone, but behind him there's the magenta coloring?
The color itself can be found as
# ff00ff
or
R: 255
G: 0
B: 255

Either one of those methods will give you Magenta.
After you apply Magenta to the background of the character, after you make your texture's TPL file, you open the TPL in a Hex editor, and search for these in the hex data:
fc 1f
Once you find those two, you replace "fc 1f" with "00 00", and that's it! Transparency applied.

However... if you do NOT want transparency (thus resulting in a large box shape in the CSP, which... doesn't look too good), you keep all the same properties; keep "RGB5A3", as the texture DOES have transparency... You're just not utilizing it.

Top Bottom