• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

GameWatching

Smash Ace
My Polygon-Yoshi...

:c

i actually used a crappy method of mine...
and turned the morph ball into a cube too xD

EDIT :

it works lol O.o

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
tcll, do you know if the "larger size" restrictions are because of the files reading vertexes at specific offsets or not?

because if they are, wouldn't it just be a matter of finding out where in the file the offsets are linked from and changing the hex data? i've been thinking about trying that method with .ssm files but i've been too busy with school to try to delve into any hex stuff atm
wait...
what do you mean exactly by 'size restrictions'?? :/

@LE:
that's not sparky :p
but I can try to make that if you want ;)

PLUS
I found my old vertex data :D
(of the hack in the image)

so I'll remake that and UL it :)

revel8n

Smash Cadet
tcll, do you know if the "larger size" restrictions are because of the files reading vertexes at specific offsets or not?

because if they are, wouldn't it just be a matter of finding out where in the file the offsets are linked from and changing the hex data? i've been thinking about trying that method with .ssm files but i've been too busy with school to try to delve into any hex stuff atm
The size restrictions are caused by a number of factors with dat files. The vertex, nomal, uv, color, and other data can be in a number of different formats from [un]signed bytes and shorts to full floating point. These flags are specified in the vertex attribute data found in the file (in the same manner as the texture width, height, and format are specified in a texture object structure). The indexing of the vertices can also be in a few different fromats, usually bytes or shorts, also specified in the attribute data.

The offsets in data files are further complicated by the way this format uses a relocation table to keep a record of every file offset within the file. So any changes in size or placement mean every location that contains an offset value that would come after the increase in data would need to be modified in both the relocation table and any structures that reference the moved locations.

Changing the values of all this information in itself is not all that difficult once you know where they are and the format they are in, but could be a bit tedious (and i haven't tested the implications in-game yet).

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
The size restrictions are caused by a number of factors with dat files. The vertex, nomal, uv, color, and other data can be in a number of different formats from [un]signed bytes and shorts to full floating point. These flags are specified in the vertex attribute data found in the file (in the same manner as the texture width, height, and format are specified in a texture object structure). The indexing of the vertices can also be in a few different fromats, usually bytes or shorts, also specified in the attribute data.

The offsets in data files are further complicated by the way this format uses a relocation table to keep a record of every file offset within the file. So any changes in size or placement mean every location that contains an offset value that would come after the increase in data would need to be modified in both the relocation table and any structures that reference the moved locations.

Changing the values of all this information in itself is not all that difficult once you know where they are and the format they are in, but could be a bit tedious (and i haven't tested the implications in-game yet).
nicely done revel :D

It just hit me, and I was about to post that...
but then read your post :p

for the simple people (like me):
the file is indexed by a relocation table which locates the data (such as verts) at specific offsets...
it'd be a long/tedious process changing every value in the table as well as the filesize and data size :/
so it's best to keep the same number of verts throughout the editin process ;)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i see. so in the end, it would be tedious, as most melee hacks are. Buuuut that means my ssm theory is probably right too, just gotta find that allocation table.

we need some programmers to make us some nice GUIs for our hacking processes ;-;

nube

Smash Apprentice
Tcll, Milun, crazy stuff.

I thought Milun had a obj converter on his site? If I remember correctly, he has already dabbled into vertex hacking (jigg eyes, spikes, hourglass capsule, mewtwo without neck plug thing lol).

We should make a new thread, "Calling everyone with programming skills"

Revel weren't you working on a data viewer? Is that complete?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Tcll, Milun, crazy stuff.

I thought Milun had a obj converter on his site? If I remember correctly, he has already dabbled into vertex hacking (jigg eyes, spikes, hourglass capsule, mewtwo without neck plug thing lol).

We should make a new thread, "Calling everyone with programming skills"

Revel weren't you working on a data viewer? Is that complete?

mine was the only one that could directly read from the dat file :/
(it was very buggy though, as it use a brute-force method)

this new one will read the file as it should be read...
and it will have a file select menu ;)

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
jojojojo

for this crhistmas i only like one thing

more melee hacks!!! XD

mmm

sorry but my inactivity, the exam's kill me D:

but i make a new akatsuki player... and 1/2 of final fantasy character... jejeje

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
tcll i think i could replicate that pikachu, however i don't believe i could make the tip of his tail green like that cause that part of his tail is part of his skin color. i cant wait till i can figure out how to vertex, maybe when it become easier with the help of programing.'

that file should have the same offsets right?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
tcll i think i could replicate that pikachu, however i don't belive i could make the tip of his tail green like that cause that part of his tail is part of his skin color. i cant wait till i can figure out how to vertex, maybe when it become easier with the help of programing.'

that file should have the same offsets right?
the tail is a completely differant texture...
just like the eyes, cheeks, backstripes, ears, nose, upper lip, and the inside of the mouth.
the eyes are controlled by shaders...
(they have 4-5 differant textures)

yes...
you're talking to a Pika-expert here ^_^

the only thing differant about my file is the vertex data ;)
the relocation table isn't even touched.

I was able to replicate the shader trick in blender with brawl Pika...
(a node controlled by a small script controlls the eyes)

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
not bad do you approve? i can easily fix stuff like the darkness of the grey and most of the shapes. the ears are an incredible pain , i don't think i could get much better. also i'm telling you unless you more severely change the hex data you can't make the top of his tail green. melee hacks are a lot more limited cumbersome than brawl. i'll upload it if its close enough.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
very nice :)

yea, it does need to be darkened, and the eyes red...
but you've got that covered :p

the grey is 63

and you can get the tail to work...

you know that one brown/yellow image you made grey/green...
well...
color the top of it green, and that should do it ;)

or copy from the bottom, and paste it flipped at the top...
(take the height down about 50%)

that'll look better...

but yea, very nice :D
now all he needs is his scythe XD

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
yea...

sry it not the friendliest of all methods :/

and sry it's a distorted vtx cloud that's hard to tell anything...
that's what happens when you play with raw vtx data... :/

but it's the best I got atm
it will get better :)

RuKeN

Smash Journeyman
ey vertex hackers, can you change the position of the cap of my texture of kenta?

can put the cap to back

and when i finish one texture, can change the sword of marth for samurai word(o katana), but this, wait to finish my texture and put in here directly

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
lol here is proof why the tga stretching makes it impossible to achieve such articulation on pikachu's tail. that entire upper section of his tail is is just ONE pixel repeated/stretched.
unless there is some methed i dont know about that influences this stretching (there is probably a way) this is the only thing you can do.

and here's the latest version

btw. Dude i am so HYPE. i think were all gonna want to go back to almost every previous texture. Batman needs bat ears

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
easiest way to hack your wii

google
modify any wii 4.2

follow the first gbatemp.net link you find
READ EVERYTHING. READ IT WORD FOR WORD, ONE WORD AT A TIME. DO NOT SKIP ANYTHING. FOLLOW THE GUIDE EXACTLY.

it's that easy. after you do all of that, you should have a general idea as to how apps and stuff work
so you download miospatcher (if you are connected to the internet) and extract the contents and place it in a folder on your sd card
so it should look like
assuming your SD card is G:
G:\apps\miospatcher
make sure to rename any .elf or .dol files into
boot.elf
or
boot.dol
respectively
run miospatcher in homebrew

if not, you use cmios installer rev3 (or 5 whatever) and google "rvl mios v8 wad"
cmios rev3 can either use internet or from sd card.
place the rvl mios wad onto the root of your SD card.
so you would do this
G:\apps\cmios whatever you want to name this folder
G:\rvl-mios-v8.wad

then run cmios in homebrew

after all of that you should have
1) bootmii as boot2
2) mios patched
3) cios patched

to burn a hacked/downloaded copy of melee
YOU CANNOT USE DVD-RWS
DVD-RS AND DVD+RS BOTH WORK
MAKE SURE TO BURN AT THE SLOWEST SPEED POSSIBLE
HOWEVER SOME DRIVES AND DISKS CAN BE FINICKY FOR VARIOUS TECHNICAL REASONS
IF YOU HAVE SOME DVD-RS OR DVD+RS AND THEY DON'T SEEM TO WORK, TRY A DIFFERENT BURNER OR GO GET SOME DIFFERENT DISCS, THEY'RE PRETTY CHEAP.

from then on you download "gc backup launcher 0.2" or any other disc loading app
put it in your app folder, following the same concepts as the two apps above
load
etc.

once you use bootmii, you can just use a gc controller in the first slot to get to the homebrew channel and navigate to whatever you need on the homebrew channel. you can boot burned melee in gc backup launcher 0.2 or neogamma or whatever loader you like.
Would this still work with 4.1?

Steelia

Smash Champion
So hype. I've gotta read that Blender document so I can learn some of this stuff. D':

Will definitely make something about this hopefully this Friday at IL.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Perhaps someone could GUI this and/or make a 3DS version..? Blender is... awkward to me x_x. However, if majority are using blender, I shouldn't make the majority switch to something else, and rather, I myself should switch.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
woah :o

so much stuff happens when I'm in skool :(

lol here is proof why the tga stretching makes it impossible to achieve such articulation on pikachu's tail. that entire upper section of his tail is is just ONE pixel repeated/stretched.
unless there is some methed i dont know about that influences this stretching (there is probably a way) this is the only thing you can do.

btw. Dude i am so HYPE. i think were all gonna want to go back to almost every previous texture. Batman needs bat ears
I see...
so that would require a UV edit before it works -_-
since they're all at the top excluding the start of the tail...
(those would be at the bottom)

man that sux DX>

oh well...
I'm modifying my converter to except import/export plugins...
(open a selected model type, and save a selected model type)

^don't expect that any time soon :/

I'm currently working on getting dat to dae format...
(not an easy task)

I still need to know the vert attribute data :/ (where it is)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Perhaps someone could GUI this and/or make a 3DS version..? Blender is... awkward to me x_x. However, if majority are using blender, I shouldn't make the majority switch to something else, and rather, I myself should switch.
blender's not hard to learn ;)

search up 'Super3boy' on YT :D
he's got quite a few tuts (more for game development)
^they still work though ;)

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Can I get that Rosalina vertex mod? It looks so good!

Also, good job to everyone here, you're advancing hacking to amazing areas.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Can I get that Rosalina vertex mod? It looks so good!

Also, good job to everyone here, you're advancing hacking to amazing areas.
screw hacking...
let's advance to development >:3

^that's what I'm doing :D
hacking will be a thing of the past when I'm finished :3
^which may take years T.T

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
It's say "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable"

I guess I will try later, but it hasn't been working since I found out about it.:c
It works for me :/

@GameWatching : Is it possible to delete the "golden shoulder" and the gun from Batman ? That would be perfect.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
@GameWatching : Is it possible to delete the "golden shoulder" and the gun from Batman ? That would be perfect.

I'd say it's possible... (if the verts can be found) :/

just shrink the verts to where they're inside the shoulder (don't delete them)

Top Bottom