• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oy GodFed/Tichinde925/someone with music hacking experience,
check this.

I haven't the faintest clue what it could be for, or what it does. Released by hcs at his forum about a week ago; not sure if it was seen.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Oh, yeah. That "god" username is me on that forum. The link you provided is the source for an incomplete WAV->HPS converter he's creating. As in, convert WAVs without dspadpcm. Currently, it can only run checks on the HPS files.

I took a look at it earlier, he basically is using the skeleton for his old "revb" BRSTM maker. This would make HPS files instead of BRSTMs. One of the original revb's features was an "examine" mode to output file info for you. That's the only thing functional with this HPS converter so far.

I haven't compiled the source and run it yet, but I'm thinking I should, to see what it can do. I'm only figuring what it does by checking the source.

I.B

Smash Lord
My bad about that dreamland hack... I thought the song itself was a good idea for the stage but I don't know how to do the whole looping process properly.

Steelia

Smash Champion
'ey, would anyone happen to know where the Stock Icons are located? I know I've asked this before, but given we're now making a little progress I thought giving it a second shot wouldn't hurt.
I cannot find the places of those things for the life of me. Given they're so small, probably have 2 palette lines, and are +2 textures doesn't really help in locating them.

Steelia

Smash Champion
~Also, pardon the double-post, but check this:
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?p=17912308

Person seeking Dr. Mario's model, while little luck so far, there WAS supplied some ripped models for Roy... I gave them a shot (one was his Classic Mode trophy, the other his SMASH Trophy). Smash trophy didn't work for me, but the Classic Mode trophy worked just fine in 3ds Max (it was unflattened, compared to the SMASH Trophy).

Just thought I'd share that. The Classic Mode one could work as a semi-helpful texture viewer in the future... :chuckle:

EDIT: Also, I FINALLY found where the blasted Stock Icons go, so you can bet within the next week I'll probably have the package containing said Stock Icons available. :)

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I could upload my copy of melee. This is what I have currently:

------
Audio
------

------
Menu
------
Melee Menu Remix (Menu01.hps)

------------
Announcer
------------

Fox - Xan

------------
Characters
------------

Captain Falcon - Yes! (main.ssm)

Mewtwo - Gameboy Edition

Luigi - Brawl Edition

Dr. Mario - Brawl Edition

Fox - Star Wars - X-Wing Laser Sound

Fox - UT2004 Character - Xan

--------
Stages
--------

Battlefield - Alternate - Moonlit Wilderness (hyaku.hps)

Battlefield - Dr. Robotnick's Theme (sp_zako.hps)

Final Destination - Alternate - Dr. Wily's Theme (hyaku2.hps)

Final Destination - Diddy Kong Racing - Darkmoon Caverns (sp_end.hps)

Fountain of Dreams - Devastation's Doorway OCRemix (izumi.hps)

Hyrule Temple - Ocarina of Time Medley from Brawl (shrine.hps)

Pokemon Stadium - Lance/Red Battle Theme Remix

Pokemon Stadium * Alternate * - -HG/SS Kanto Battle Theme

Corneria - Smashing Live

Rainbow Cruise - I'm on a Boat (rcruise.hps)

Dreamland - Diddy Kong Racing - Haunted Woods (old_kb.hps)

Yoshi's Story - UT2004 - Rankin (ystory.hps)

------------------------

----------
Textures
----------

------
Stages:
------

Fourside - Moonside

----------
Characters:
----------

------
Normal:
------

Captain Falcon - Ronald McDonald
Roy - Black and Gold
Dark Fox
Dark Falco
Dark Pichu
Fire Mario
Mr. L (Luigi)
Ice Climbers - Ice Mages
Pokeball Kirby (becomes a masterball when you swallow mewtwo)
Dr. Mario - Brawl Edition
Mewtwo - Stadium
Young Link - Brawl Young Link
Ganondorf - OoT
Link - Twilight Princess Link
Zelda - Twilight Princess
Shiek - Twilight Princess

---
Red:
---

Blood Falcon
Pichu - Minun
Mewtwo - Darkrai
Ganondorf - Chadd / Akuma

----
Blue:
----

Sunshine Dr. Mario
Pichu - Plusle
Mewtwo - Lucario
Marth - Shadow Dragon
Roy - Eliwood

-----
Green:
-----

Mario - Lario
Mewtwo - Arceus

-----
Black:
-----

Link - Dark Link
Young Link - Dark Link

------
Yellow:
------

Mario - Wario

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
that would be amazing if you could upload that

also, for some reason the "3 2 1 QUIT LIFE" sound clip doesn't play for me =( its still the default sound clip

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i'll grab those today.
my laptop has been being dumb lately.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Is there any way to open up the .dat files of a texture and convert them so that the texture can be on a different color?

Basically, is making PlMtNr.dat turn to PlMtBu.dat feasible? Because there are some really amazing textures out there that aren't friendly with team colors (Roy's Ike texture replaces his green instead of blue, for example).

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
you have to replace each specific texture manually and frankly it's more trouble than it's worth unless you use steelia's organized textures.

I don't think there should be any issues with PAL melee other than with audio hacks.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Is there any way to open up the .dat files of a texture and convert them so that the texture can be on a different color?

Basically, is making PlMtNr.dat turn to PlMtBu.dat feasible? Because there are some really amazing textures out there that aren't friendly with team colors (Roy's Ike texture replaces his green instead of blue, for example).
The only way to "convert" a texture is by applying all the textures from the old file, and inserting them into the new. However, the problem with that is that in certain occasions (like comparing Mewtwo's default file with his red, blue and green), there can be... size differences, and the textures can be placed in different locations compared to other files.

I THINK the only characters that can do that with ease, are Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, MAYBE Samus, MAYBE Marth, and possibly the Ice Climbers (I might've missed one or two).

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I just figured out indexed textures, so I made Light Green Kirby for Melee.

First, I used Steelia's pink Kirby package for the pointers, and I figured out where the palletes went (most of them after the image, but the3 palettes for half-eye, closed-eye, hurt-left go after the 3 images.)
After I got it working as PlKbNr, I tried PlKbGr. Apparently, it uses smaller palletes for HalfEye and EyeClose than the normal texture does!
Here's the download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yzoniykmxxb
It includes both PlKbNr and PlKbGr versions of Light Green Kirby.
As for Gardevior's question, a converter would be possible someday, but it would need to have all the image and pallete offsets coded in and be able to reduce palletes as well.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
I need some help. I'm currently working on changing a sound effect, and I've been able to follow all the steps up until the Hex part. I fail hard at Hex/Hexadecimal. Could someone tell me what it means to start at 0x60? I'm using Hex Workshop. (If it matters.)

Also, in the command prompt, I'm given, data offset:
and, real data offset:
Which do I use?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
0x60 = Offset (left column) 00000060

You copy and paste everything starting at 00000060.

0x1C = Left Column offset 00000010 at the 0C mark.

You copy that until 0x3C = 00000030 till the 0C mark.

This is 0x1C - 0x3C:

This is everything from 0x60 copied:

Rest of the stuff should become alot easier.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
@Tichinde
Nice post, love the images. Looks like you selected one extra byte at the end, though, for 0x1C-0x3C.

@Warhippy
ssmex.exe gives out some very good info (like the starting/ending points for each sound), and some unusual info ("data offset" vs "real data offset"). Basically, the only info you need is the locations of the sounds you want to change, whether they're stereo or mono, and what the sample rate is (like 32000 Hz).
The "real data offset" is the start of the sound data. That's all. The programmer who wrote ssmex.exe uses some data from the beginning of the file to calculate the "data offset", and with trial and error, found out what the actual offset was. A bit of extra info if you're interested.

@PB&J
eh, sorry. it's a bit complicated. I still have yet to upload a video guide. My original captures that I wanted to upload got corrupted.

@libertyernie
nice work, kirby's pretty much all palette textures.
As for the "converter" (an automated texture hexer), I was working on it, but life got in the way. I'll see if I can finish it up sometime soon. I basically need to code in all the placements/data from Steelia's texture packs for Luigi on down (alphabetically) and the stages.

@Steelia
Have you tried changing the names at the end of each Pl****.dat file? I think they reference the moves and animations for that character, and/or the name of the character selected...so changing it to the Red/Blue/Green whatever costume name might allow you to "convert" between colors, if that makes sense. Just a thought. And are those stock icons still eluding you?

@Blubby
No idea what differences PAL Melee will have. I actually used a PAL iso at first, but switched to an NTSC later on when the hacking thing got a bit more involved, just to be safe. I'm fairly sure that the mechanics are the only differences between the two versions, but I'm not sure. Look up PAL/NTSC differences.

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Steelia
Have you tried changing the names at the end of each Pl****.dat file? I think they reference the moves and animations for that character, and/or the name of the character selected...so changing it to the Red/Blue/Green whatever costume name might allow you to "convert" between colors, if that makes sense. Just a thought. And are those stock icons still eluding you?
I've been giving that some thought; files can be renamed with GC-Tool... I'll have to experiment a little more before I go doing that, though.

Speaking of stock icons, JUST uploaded a new batch containing all of them (save Giga Bowser and Sandbag icons)... Also updated it on my package post on page 4. It MUST be used with the CSP pack, however; stock icons are located in the same file as CSPs, so if you edit CSPs... stock icons have to be placed in the same file. All that goodness. :p

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
No idea what differences PAL Melee will have. I actually used a PAL iso at first, but switched to an NTSC later on when the hacking thing got a bit more involved, just to be safe. I'm fairly sure that the mechanics are the only differences between the two versions, but I'm not sure. Look up PAL/NTSC differences.
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't make a difference. but I mean, if kirby's textures are different for each color, who knows what they did in between the NTSC and PAL releases of the game

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
ill just wait for the vid or hopefully sleepyk would do it for me..
If its audio / music, ill do it...

P.S.

If anyone wanted to remove the "YES" from my uploaded Melee ISO, the "YES" which occurs after basically every sweetspotted attack.....here you go:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OVKAU1BV

It contains both the Tool and the Instructions.

I dont know how to make the instructions even simpler and easier than that. If you know of way to make the instructions easier, tell me.

Basically, the sound file for the Knee was changed to "YES!" The end result was that the Knee sound file was used for everything else....so every attack that hits results with "YES!" If you want to remove it, feel free to download it.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
YAY! (this deservers its own post :p)

Falco's Blastech Lasers and BONK! Reflector Sound!

Here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KSMNQWYD

These are the US Versions of Fox and Falco.

Just use GC-Tool and replace the "US" audio and not the default Japanese ones.

File Structure: GCMRoot // audio // us // fox.ssm and falco.ssm

Just right click each .ssm, and hit "Replace."

Make sure to hit "NO" on the popup box that comes up asking if you want to change filesizes.

Mission Complete!

P.S.

If anyone wanted my exact Tools directory on everything I use to edit the audio/music/insert into ISO, then here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GAE510W9

No installation required at all, each app just runs by double clicking on it.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
Cool, thanks for the help guys. The screen shots were especially helpful because it made me realize that a lot of the stuff was being said and shown in terms of decimal, when I was trying to keep it all in hex.

Also, as per requests, I think it would be unhealthy amounts of awesome if theme packages could be made. For example, having a bunch of the sound effects and music being changed to that of the Street Fighter genre. Just an idea. I might try it if I can master audio hacking.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Also, as per requests, I think it would be unhealthy amounts of awesome if theme packages could be made. For example, having a bunch of the sound effects and music being changed to that of the Street Fighter genre. Just an idea. I might try it if I can master audio hacking.
These are the current Street Fighter requests that I have received so far:

Fountain of Dreams (izumi.hps)

--->SSF 2 Balrog Stage

Yoshi's Story (ystory.hps)

--->SSF 2 Ryu Stage

Is there any character in SSBM that resembles a Street Fighter character? I would be happy to accomplish this as long as I have every single sound effect for that character as well as the fighting sounds and a good taunt is needed :p (Also the sound that is played while in stun mode due to a broken shield / as well as the game's announcer saying the character's name as I can replace that too.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
Errr, heh. Didn't much think about all the work involved. I know that if you Google Street Fighter Sound Effects the fourth or fifth site listed actually has all or most of the sounds from the various SF II's. I wouldn't be able to do any major work on this for about another week and a half, though. Plus, that was mainly just an example. I'd have to sit down and think about what kind of theme I'd be most motivated in working on.

Also, I'm having trouble again. The command prompt says that the original sound effect ends at 00003580. Does that mean that I replace up to and including line 00003580, or do I replace everything up to 00003579? This may seem like an obvious question, but it's literally the last thing I can think of that I'm doing wrong. (maybe)

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
All you have to do is look at the original sound effect then look at the sound effect that you are replacing. Compare the two. Make sure your new one does not go past the original. If it does not, replace the difference with 00s. Then just paste-write it into the main file.

Top Bottom