• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
No, the first post isn't complete. I periodically update small things, but only when they're needed.

I generally do links in batches. If you want texture links, wait until stack smash comes alive again. I can update the first post for a few more other texture hacks, too, though.

What do you need?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Hey guys, I'm having a few problems putting custom bgm. :(

Last night I sat down and soaked up all the information, and I think I know what I'm doing. Textures work, but for some reason the music on the levels is really, really slow. I'm using audacity. I split the tracks, put them on mono, got the temp.hps file, and replaced the stage bgm in the ISO. Would you guys know why the songs are playing at a much slower rate? The two major changes I made that I feel might have affected its playback, were setting the project rate to 32000 hz, and the rate of the actual songs I put into Audacity to 32000 hz. I thought I did everything correctly so I'm pretty lost right now.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like the sample rate is not the correct value. Sample rate is literally "samples per second". So if it's too short, the audio plays fewer samples per second, making it slower. Too large a value makes it faster. BUT, it sounds like you did it all correctly with the sample rate. So it probably isn't that.

The other issue could be the bit depth, which is usually 16-bit PCM. Another BUT, though, is that if your audio was anything other than 16-bit PCM, the hps_insert program wouldn't have accepted your audio. So it sound like this was correct, too.

I honestly have not had too much experience with Audacity. In fact, it crashed when I tried to load a WAV file to edit for these hacks. I stick with Adobe Soundbooth, and I hear that Tichinde uses Wavosaur, which apparently works for him, so you could possibly check those out.

So, it I have this right, you used Audacity to create two WAVs, one for each channel, each at 32000 Hz, 16-bit depth. You hps_insert the HPS file you are modding, it creates a temp.hps file. You GC-Tool it, play it on Dolphin, or on the Wii, but it turns out to be super slow.
So my questions for you are
1-are those the basic steps you followed?
2-how much slower is the audio?
3-where are the loop points in the audio in game? as in, does it loop at the right point where you wanted it to, or does it loop at some random place because of how slow it is?

I'd definitely like to help here, since not too many people know how to do these hacks. The more the better.

EDIT:I checked out Audacity, it seems like you might want to try a different program. When you switch from two Hz sample rates in Audacity, it changes the speed of the audio, instead of maintaining it like in Soudnbooth and (I assume) Wavosaur

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Sounds like the sample rate is not the correct value. Sample rate is literally "samples per second". So if it's too short, the audio plays fewer samples per second, making it slower. Too large a value makes it faster. BUT, it sounds like you did it all correctly with the sample rate. So it probably isn't that.

The other issue could be the bit depth, which is usually 16-bit PCM. Another BUT, though, is that if your audio was anything other than 16-bit PCM, the hps_insert program wouldn't have accepted your audio. So it sound like this was correct, too.

I honestly have not had too much experience with Audacity. In fact, it crashed when I tried to load a WAV file to edit for these hacks. I stick with Adobe Soundbooth, and I hear that Tichinde uses Wavosaur, which apparently works for him, so you could possibly check those out.

So, it I have this right, you used Audacity to create two WAVs, one for each channel, each at 32000 Hz, 16-bit depth. You hps_insert the HPS file you are modding, it creates a temp.hps file. You GC-Tool it, play it on Dolphin, or on the Wii, but it turns out to be super slow.
So my questions for you are
1-are those the basic steps you followed?
2-how much slower is the audio?
3-where are the loop points in the audio in game? as in, does it loop at the right point where you wanted it to, or does it loop at some random place because of how slow it is?

I'd definitely like to help here, since not too many people know how to do these hacks. The more the better.

EDIT:I checked out Audacity, it seems like you might want to try a different program. When you switch from two Hz sample rates in Audacity, it changes the speed of the audio, instead of maintaining it like in Soudnbooth and (I assume) Wavosaur
Those are the exact steps I followed, minus the Dolphin trial. I tried to download it on recommendation from a friend of mine. I'm supposed to able to simply download the emulator and load up my iso and see if I did everything correctly, right? for some reason the iso wouldn't open on both versions of Dolphin I tried. When I checked it on my wii, the audio was about half speed. Maybe more? It was all slurred and sounded slightly demonic. :psycho:

it loops at some random place because of how slow it is.

Another question:

does anyone have experience with injecting roms into wads? This has nothing to do with smash but I'm not sure who else to ask. Trying to put a n64 rom into a larger wad file. Both injectors I've used have worked perfectly up until the point where they say complete. Then I can't find the file. It says the injection was successful, but I can't locate it via the search function or in the specified "results" folders. blah

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the issue's with Audacity. When you change the sample rate, it changes the audio speed, no matter how you slice it. Try Wavosaur.

As for Dolphin, you double click the Dolphin icon, click "Browse", point it to your ISO, and play. :D Whether it works or not generally depends on your CPU and your graphics card.

I don't have a Wii, so I have nothing to give on wads.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'll try dolphin again, and I'll probably give Wavosaur a try. I did change a setting in Audacity that I think might fix the audio though. I'm going to see how it works out. If it does, I can probably write a little guide about how to work the **** thing. Thanks Fed.

Oh, and why don't you have a wii? Its the bestest console ever. (aka it only became useful after homebrew)

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently burning my copy atm.
By morning it should be done.
I got an Iso with loaded textures.
What textures are they exactly.
And since Stack Smash is down would it mean that Steelia's website would be down too?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
So yeah, how's the textures coming along? Haven't seen anything amazing since that sick Brawl Peach texture about two weeks ago. =/

Steelia

Smash Champion
So yeah, how's the textures coming along? Haven't seen anything amazing since that sick Brawl Peach texture about two weeks ago. =/
JUST got done making one right now, actually.

Fact o' the matter is, the site that I'm an extension of -- Stack Smash -- went down semi-recently. As a result, I have no way of releasing textures (outside of Megaupload and the like, but doing that would severely throw me off... it's complicated).

So, until they get back up (which should be in the next day or two), I'll be able to resume the regularly scheduled Melee updates.

That's just my side of things, anyway, if you frequent my Melee extension site.

Milun

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't do texture hacks for _8 and _9, because TexConv.exe keeps giving me the message "TCFindPaletteByIndex: pallette 0 is not part of palette list"

All I'm trying to do is convert a .tcs to .tpl, and I copied the text in the tutorial accurately.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
hey does anyone wana make the hex's for me, i've made a few dif character costumes already i just need it to be put into the game, does anyone wana do that part for me?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't do texture hacks for _8 and _9, because TexConv.exe keeps giving me the message "TCFindPaletteByIndex: pallette 0 is not part of palette list"

All I'm trying to do is convert a .tcs to .tpl, and I copied the text in the tutorial accurately.
I'll assume for the _8 and _9 textures, you Indexed those specific textures in Photoshop? (If you're using GIMP or anything else, I cannot help you; I think those are more of a problem to work with, though.)

I also figure you used this already:

file 0 = [full location of .tga]
image 0 = 0, x, TYPE
palette 0 = 0, type2
texture 0 = 0, 0
If so, well, best I can say is using a base like this:

image 0 = 0, x, CI4
palette 0 = 0, RGB565
texture 0 = 0, 0
image 0 = 0, x, CI4
palette 0 = 0, RGB5A3
texture 0 = 0, 0
Those two are for _8 textures, the first without transparency, the second WITH transparency (thus requiring Magenta -- ff00ff in Photoshop / fc 1f in hex).

image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB565
texture 0 = 0, 0
image 0 = 0, x, CI8
palette 0 = 0, RGB5A3
texture 0 = 0, 0
Naturally, now these two are for _9 textures, the first for textures without transparency, the second WITH transparency (thus requiring Magenta -- ff00ff / fc 1f in hex).

Of course, all you have to do now is copy-paste the preferred, and just paste the location of the file [ex, C:\texhax\01Arm\txt_0000_9.tga] under "file".

Milun

Smash Ace
Thanks for the help, but for some reason, it still didn't work for me (yes I did add magenta in Photoshop). Strangely enough, when I copied a .tsc from one of the pre-made texture packs you provided, it worked perfectly... so my problem is more or less solved (and I looked through my text long and hard, and saw no difference between the two). Anyway, thanks a lot, and here's a Black Dr. Mario with shades to make up for it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=86EMHXRT

and a Forest Maze (Mario RPG) themed Kirby 64 (sorry if there's a specific place for me to post these, but I couldn't find one).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=181ODOEI

DanteFox

Smash Champion
so if I download one of those audio hacks in the request thread, is the method for replacing audio tracks the same as textures? as in, just right click --> replace in the gc tool?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Certainly strange, Milun... Wonder what's up with those TCS files. Ah, well; glad it worked out.

O, don't mean to go stealin' your thunder, but honestly, I made a SMRPG-themed stage as well, shortly after hearing the same music for the stage. :p

I have to admit, the scarecrow's a clever one on your part, and your background's easier on the eyes.

Milun

Smash Ace
I'm sad now :( And yet, I choose to continue its development, as I finally figured out how to properly edit those annoying pallettes. At least you used flowers. When the mushrooms I used get blown by Whispy, it doesn't look too nice.

Even if it's not the best Mario RPG stage, I still like the idea of having a night themed stage that doesn't bore me (thank you very much, Fountain of Dreams).

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ I can upload the N64 Dream Land texture hack pack, if you want. As far as I know, it has all the files, and the locations of where to place them in the stage .DAT (and the number of lines for each palette'd texture).

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Night time stages would be awesome. Yoshi's Story, Dreamland and Corneria at night would be toooooo good.

Or day time stadium lolwut.

Milun

Smash Ace
^ I can upload the N64 Dream Land texture hack pack, if you want. As far as I know, it has all the files, and the locations of where to place them in the stage .DAT (and the number of lines for each palette'd texture).
Thanks, that'd be nice (I sorta feel like I'm cheating now). I never could find where Dedede's sprite was located in the hex. Thanks.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
when you did the textures for dreamland did you notice the floor being coded strangely compared to some of the other stages? the only reason I ask this is because of that Marth "tripping" glitch that only happens on this stage.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
@cuba
the floor, in this case, would be under the model/hitbox data portion of the DAT file, which is at the beginning. The textures are at the end of the file. So the texture for the floor wouldn't affect the data for tripping. You'd have to be able to find the floor in the model hex data, which btw isn't actual game code, just numbers representing 3d space.

Anyway, looks like Stack Smash is kind of back, just not the released content part.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ayup, Stack Smash is FINALLY back. And it saved all my unreleased posts! I feel so motivated; I thought I lost sooo many pics. :D

Now I can finally get releasing on my extension site again.

...And for the record, the Stack Smash STUFFZ does exist -- it's just under the wrong URL.
Here it is.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I was wondering what am I? doing wrong when burning Melee.
I have Sony DVD-Rs and when I burned one it didn't work.
No error message or anything showed up the Wii just restarted and went back to the Wii Menu.
I was wondering if it was due to the discs that I got.
http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/14/45/3975_1_sbol.JPG
Those are precisely the same brand I've got, so it's definitely not the DVD-Rs.

Are you using ImgBurn to burn your Melee?
Do you have your Wii patched with the GCN-related IOS? How about GCN Backup Launcher, do you have that?

Top Bottom