• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Online: Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
As a geniune PC gamer looking to buy a new monster computer at 3000$ with a normal ping of 10-20 while playing WoW/Hon/SC et.c. words can't describe how much I look forward to this.

Looks like you'll be needing alot of things to connect the whole systems together or will you somehow just convert everything into a downloadable game which is run over the internet? (Seems very unlikely due to the size of melee)

Massive

Smash Champion
Looks like you'll be needing alot of things to connect the whole systems together or will you somehow just convert everything into a downloadable game which is run over the internet? (Seems very unlikely due to the size of melee)
All we're planning on distributing is the game emulation software, you will have to obtain the actual melee iso yourself. We're planning on including a version update tool with the game that will automatically patch your version of melee to be online compatible.

The current version of our emulator weighs in at around 12MB atm. I suspect that will grow a bit when we're done with the UI changes and whatnot, but I doubt it will be much larger than 50MB in the long-run.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Where do you find components that add up to $3000?!
I'm very bad with computers and only use them for gaming, my friend's pretty good but I can't be bother to buy parts and let him build it together, he'll just help with the overclocking, I much rather buy a completely constructed PC and use it instantly.

The computer I'm looking to buy in the coming days is this: http://www.komplett.se/k/ci.aspx?sku=10462

Though it only states information in swedish it's most likely a very good computer for now and will probably last 2-3 years before you need to buy a new one or atleast start switching the core components. You could probably get a computer with the same stats for a seemingly lower price by purchasing the parts on ebay piece by piece and then put it all togheter by yourself but I don't really wanna bother to go through all that fuzz.

NNID
dansalvato
The current version of our emulator weighs in at around 12MB atm. I suspect that will grow a bit when we're done with the UI changes and whatnot, but I doubt it will be much larger than 50MB in the long-run.
It'll likely also shrink once we remove Wii support, unused plugins, and the old UI, don't you think?

The computer I'm looking to buy in the coming days is this: http://www.komplett.se/k/ci.aspx?sku=10462
That should really be about half the price for the same performance. The price is insane because of 16GB RAM (not any faster than 8GB), and TWO SSDs plus a 2TB HDD? Is that necessary? SSDs are freaking expensive.

I just threw the same PC together on Newegg minus the SSDs and it came to under $1800. And you'd save another $150 if you went from the dual 6970s to a GTX 680.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I will just literally never leave my house again if this project is completed... this is amazing.

Massive

Smash Champion
I don't understand how people can consider themselves PC gamers if they don't build their own rigs... it boggles my mind.

It's like a car guy who doesn't pump his own gas.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
In case it helps you guys with the low end version, here's the settings I use to get my laptop to run most stage as full speed.

Skip EFB Access from CPU
Ignore Format Changes
EFB Copies: Disable
Texture Cache Accuracy: Fast
External Frame Buffer: Disable
Fast Mipmaps
Cache Display Lists
Disable Fog
Skip Dest. Alpha Pass
OpenMP Texture Decoder

NNID
dansalvato
In case it helps you guys with the low end version, here's the settings I use to get my laptop to run most stage as full speed.
What are your specs? Generally CPU is much more important than GPU, so lowering the graphics usually isn't enough for low-end laptops.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
mad props dude. you'll be my heroes if you can get this to work fully. either way, much appreciated and keep it up :)

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
AMD Turion II P-540 Dual Core 2.4GHz
4GB Ram
Radeon 4250 integrated graphics

I assume that's the part you're interested in.

Varist

Smash Lord
Howdy folks, it's been a long time since I've last publicly posted anything about this, but considering our very recent leap in progress, I figure we owe you all a status report. So here it is.

OFFICIAL STATUS
We have released an internal alpha which successfully synchronizes (syncs) 2 separate Melee sessions across 3 variables. We are currently syncing the values for Percentage Display, Actual Percentage, and Character stock every 10 frames. There is no appreciable slow in game speed.

This is the most basic and important form of sync, and the first of many we will implement in the near future. With these rudimentary variables synced, regardless of what happens on both clients, they will both have the same outcome as the server.

Now that the official business is out of the way, allow me to explain some of the background work for people who have no idea what that means or are just getting started with this whole Melee online Conversation.

Background Information

The Dolphin Gamecube/Wii emulator currently has some rudimentary netplay functionality. People constantly posted about attempting to play Melee online, asking if it worked. It didn't, moreover it couldn't. I explained, much to their chagrin.

The only way to make melee work online acceptably between computers was to eliminate or greatly reduce de-synchronization (desync) events between the two emulations. I posited a few times in a few threads about a method by which this could be accomplished: monitoring and transmitting emulated game memory. So, with the help of Internet Explorer (IE) and a smattering of accumulated game knowledge (mostly Action Replay data), we set out on an ambitious project to make this game work online.

We sent a few IMs back and forth and established a primitive distribution of labor. IE would tediously create a very complex memory map of the locations we wanted to sync, and I would hack through the Dolphin source code to locate an entry point, write methods to sort through, isolate, and read/write memory, and invent a method by which to sync game memory between clients.

Both of these goals have been achieved at a very basic level.

I will be happy to answer any technical/nontechnical/inane questions you guys might have in this thread, as well as pretty much anything else you may want to know about this project. (I'm pretty sure IE will as well).

But first and foremost, let me answer one question right now.
We are not currently looking for playtesters.
There is no method by which you can download the alpha and play it. I will not send it to you, nor will anyone else.
This is just a status report.

We currently cannot state any date to expect this to be released. Anything we say would probably not be accurate anyway, since the team's time is divided by work and school, respectively. Nobody's paying us, we are doing this because we enjoy melee and want it to be playable online. We don't really owe you anything, we're just cool dudes who want people to know.
Valve Mode Answer: It will be finished when it's finished.

We also have a dev blog which will probably be updated quite sporadically.
You can find it at the lovely web address http://ssbmo.com/.
April Fools?

Spyro

Smash Ace
This is amazing. I live 45 minutes away from the closest smasher (and I have no car) so I would be awesome or me.

This means at some point down the line, after selecting your stage, you'll also be given the choice to enable/disable moving platforms, wind, transformations, Shy Guys, Randall, Arwings, etc.
That sounds amazing.

/hyped

:phone:

Zodiac

Smash Master
swweeeeet, well when you do enter beta tester stage let me know.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I assume this is working through p2p? What about using Kaillera so you can have a lobby? How is teams going to work through p2p?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oh god teams online
i can see people in the kaillera lobby goin "anyone wanna team? i use puff"

Massive

Smash Champion
I assume this is working through p2p? What about using Kaillera so you can have a lobby? How is teams going to work through p2p?
This is currently running on a peer-to-peer basis, yes. We have actually spoken about coming up with some IM plugins for chat clients that would permit you to auto-join a match (sort of like steam). Those aforementioned chat clients already have room creation (and therefore lobby) functionality. That's still kind of floating there out in the aether though, we might farm it out to another willing programmer once we reach that stage so we can focus on completing the game without worrying about talking to oscar servers.

Teams will work in exactly the same way as singles does. The hosting user's emulated copy is the one which all others are synced to. We overwrite whatever local values they may have to make them line up with what the hosting user is experiencing. Doing this for 3 other players is not any more complicated than doing it for 1 other player. Coincidentally, adding this functionality means we would be adding the ability to spectate as well (it would just take a buttload more bandwidth, lol).

I fully intend to have team support in our beta release. It is pretty trivial to add, but it will require a pretty beefy connection to host (3x as much data needs to be sent in the same amount of time as 1v1). I will probably start work on it once we've finalized the random seed syncing and action state data.

NNID
dansalvato
Too bad it's still impossible to predict how long action states will take me. I'm going to start looking for pointers instead of straight-up values, but it still baffles me that so much as a frame count isn't stored anywhere as a variable in memory.

By the way, I still think a lobby is higher priority than team support. =P

Massive

Smash Champion
Except team support is emergent from what we're doing already (just getting the P3/P4 memlocs after finishing analysis on 1v1), and lobby functionality is basically another project on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom