• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Online: Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive

Smash Champion
i dont wanna disturb the hard work but i doupt this will really work playable at the end

After some of the smoothing fixes I made last night, it's actually pretty close to playable right now. There are still a few things to work out with random seed and action state, but neither of those are impassable barriers.

Oh yeah, due to the way we're doing random seed updates and the frequency with which we're syncing position/input you could theoretically play with items on to no ill effect... and we're not even syncing items.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Something I was thinknig about, not sure if they could be done with simple AR codes but new game modes would be cool once this product is finished.

Stuff like tag teams where you play 1v1 but switch out for your partner when you taunt or die. Or Kin gof the Hill where you heal damage by standing on a certain pokemon on PF but no one is healed if more than one person is standing on it so you have to pop them up and it would be fast paced as you can't camp and wait somewhere while they stand on center stage losing percent.

Just some ideas, more cause I want to see if people have other interesting ones than me wanting to actually play them.

Massive

Smash Champion
IE and I were actually talking about a tag team mode a while ago, lol.

Also a marvel mode where each person selects 2 or 3 characters and switches them out with a button combination.

That's not something we're likely to incorporate into the main project though, focusing on online atm.

Definitely hold onto your ideas though, there may be opportunities for this type of stuff to get made after the whole shebang is completed.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Is there gonna be a way to have 2 people on the same pc to play teams?

:phone:
One GC to USB adapter per controller or if you have a GC to USB adapter that has 4 ports, use that.

Which reminds me, will there be support for more than 1 player on one PC playing online? For example, me and my friend can be a team on my PC, and we can play online with 2 other people on their same PC or two different people with seperate PC's online..

Massive

Smash Champion
One GC to USB adapter per controller or if you have a GC to USB adapter that has 4 ports, use that.

Which reminds me, will there be support for more than 1 player on one PC playing online? For example, me and my friend can be a team on my PC, and we can play online with 2 other people on their same PC or two different people with seperate PC's online..
Yes, this is planned for teams. Pretty much any combination of local/online players will be supported.

ShineSpikeOverpowered

Smash Rookie
Just shown thread to star Russian Smash Bros. friend Prostitute Love, he have great interest for the future of this project. =)

With this Melee Online: maybe some day U.S.A. vs. Russia crew battle may happen. Beat you down son. =)

NNID
dansalvato
Moving forward! Massive finished implementing syncing random events, and I finished writing an assembly function to handle forcing the change of action states. Once Massive implements my function, we'll be nearly done with core functionality.

NNID
dansalvato
So pumped. Ill force you guys to accept a donation from me when this is complete, no matter what you say
We'll take donations if at some point we're required to spend money on the project. However, this is unforeseen and so far hasn't been the case (except the $10 I spent on http://ssbmo.com).

You can thank us by playing us in Melee. ;D
By the way, I just finished a write-up explaining action states: http://ssbmo.com/52/

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just shown thread to star Russian Smash Bros. friend Prostitute Love, he have great interest for the future of this project. =)

With this Melee Online: maybe some day U.S.A. vs. Russia crew battle may happen. Beat you down son. =)
US V Russia will never happen online. what with the way sending information works (and the actual, y'know, speed of light) you couldn't get less than like 6 frames, which isn't really playable.

East Coast vs. western Europe might be done in 3 frames theoretically, which would be... almost playable? But generally speaking it's gonna be people in your extended area that you'll be playing "good" matches with.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
US V Russia will never happen online. what with the way sending information works (and the actual, y'know, speed of light) you couldn't get less than like 6 frames, which isn't really playable.

East Coast vs. western Europe might be done in 3 frames theoretically, which would be... almost playable? But generally speaking it's gonna be people in your extended area that you'll be playing "good" matches with.
Hey, if it's possible to do East Coast v. Western Europe, it'll be possible to do Russia versus West Coast... provided that all the respective Russians and Americans gather in specific parts of the U.S.... kinda.

Actually, has that already been answered? What's the presumed distance at which lag will render this lagtastic?

Also (and I'm sure this is a silly question, but I confess I don't know much about computers)--would there be any functional difference between a Mac and a PC?

I'm dangerously excited about this project.

Massive

Smash Champion
Also (and I'm sure this is a silly question, but I confess I don't know much about computers)--would there be any functional difference between a Mac and a PC?

The current version can be built for OSX/*nix platforms, but I don't own (or have any interest in owning) a Mac or have the time to invest in building a version specifically for it. After beta release when we start doing some GUI and stability upgrades, I am almost positive we will not be OSX compatible at all.

If you have boot camp and a suitably powerful mac you will, of course, be able to play this with no difficulty by booting into a windows install.

If somebody wanted to port the finished product over to OSX though, I would be very helpful towards them, it is just not within the scope of what we're currently developing though.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
If you have boot camp and a suitably powerful mac, you'll, of course be able to play this with no difficulty by booting into a windows install.
Good to know.

I don't really have any interest in owning a Mac either. I just do. *headdesk* Long story. But thanks for the info. And keep up the good work!

Morin0

Smash Lord
Hey, if it's possible to do East Coast v. Western Europe, it'll be possible to do Russia versus West Coast... provided that all the respective Russians and Americans gather in specific parts of the U.S.... kinda.

Actually, has that already been answered? What's the presumed distance at which lag will render this lagtastic?

Well, since this is P2P, your (and your opponent since both of you share the same ping) ping will vary depending how far the 2 players are from each other. If my Kaillera knowledge serves me right, P2P is infinitely better than a server since it cuts down the middleman and the packets are sent directly to each other. I'm sure there's a correlation here. Anyways, in P2P the minimum delay someone from the west coast should expect when playing someone in the east coast is 4 frames and vice versa. The delay goes down to 3 frames if you're playing someone in the middle (i.e. Texas). If you're playing someone from the same state or general region, expect 1 - 2 frames of delay. All of this applies if you're playing someone from Canada. As for international play, it varies greatly. People from the west coast should expect around 6 - 7 frames of delay to countries like Australia, Japan, etc. I'm not sure about the east coast. Another factor that determines your ping is your traceroute but I think everyone should be OK in that aspect.

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win

all matches are gonna have some delay. Generally speaking, I'd say EC can play MW, most of europe can play most of europe, etc... EC to WC is not gonna be a good look, neither is MW to WC really. the cool part of canada that's near the US can chill with EC and MW.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Keeping tabs on this, this sounds really cool, and very promising. Hope there are more breakthroughs in the near future for getting this to run smoothly, I'd love to see some videos popping up on YouTube showcasing this at work. (=

Massive

Smash Champion
Keeping tabs on this, this sounds really cool, and very promising. Hope there are more breakthroughs in the near future for getting this to run smoothly, I'd love to see some videos popping up on YouTube showcasing this at work. (=
Videos will probably show up after we've finished beta and I'm not adding features every night. Once the code isn't being touched as much it'll probably be more feasible.

Truthfully I don't really know what people are expecting to see in a video; it just looks like someone's playing melee. The other guy just isn't in the room with them, lol.

I could totally post a video of me forcing a 9 hammer or teleporting a sleeping jigglypuff around, but that's really more a show that we have COMPLETE, GOD-LIKE CONTROL OVER SMASH BROTHERS rather than a display of functional online ability.

NNID
dansalvato
Truthfully I don't really know what people are expecting to see in a video; it just looks like someone's playing melee. The other guy just isn't in the room with them, lol.
I don't think it would hurt to do a proof-of-concept video, at least to demonstrate its reliability and to refute the occasional skepticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom