• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee running on Wii U through Homebrew (Works with Wii U Adapter now, will update OP soon)

LLDL

Smash Hero
you see? Nintendont always had lag, but, also lags on CRT TV? :(

Nintendont latest version v2.226
Yeah i tried hooking it up to crt, still lag. We switched to the normal gamecube on the same tv and could tell the difference.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Yeah i tried hooking it up to crt, still lag. We switched to the normal gamecube on the same tv and could tell the difference.
So I tested Devolution and Original disc on a Wii/Wii U on HDMI (on Wii with Wii2HDMI), and no lag... or i don't know it was very few lag and i didn't noticed... but personally, doesn't affect me while doing tech-skills.. that was year ago.

I switch to Wii again and original disc for Melee...

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Well this would explain the adapters being sold for $80. Everyone wants to use them for Melee on WiiU :p

Anjo_Smash

Smash Rookie
Hey, so is devolution input lag free with wii u gc adapter and can you force 4:3 on it? Cause you can't do either of those things on nintendont so I was thinking of trying Devo.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Hey, so is devolution input lag free with wii u gc adapter and can you force 4:3 on it? Cause you can't do either of those things on nintendont so I was thinking of trying Devo.
When doing tech-skills on Melee in Nintendont, has input lag and sticks has a poor sensitivity...

Devolution feels like a real gamecube, but on HD

Anjo_Smash

Smash Rookie
Okay ya I noticed that it wasn't sensitive in addition to having input lag. I'm excited to set up devolution tomorrow but it looks time consuming.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I don't really understand the anti-piracy measures put in place for Devolution. Nintendo isn't making any more money off of Gamecube or Wii game sales (maybe the odd one here or there sold in Walmart). Seems like a lot of programming and red-tape to make something more of a headache to use.

Anjo_Smash

Smash Rookie
Is there a guide for using the wii u GC adapter with Devolution anywhere?

Last edited:

Anjo_Smash

Smash Rookie
Can someone actually just tell me straight up what gamecube adapters work with Devolution? Does the Mayflash PC Usb adapter work? Does the Wii U Gamecube Adapter work? That 3 in 1 thing?

Also, when I try to enable widescreen hack the screen just goes dim. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Wii U Gamecube Adapter may work with Devolution r200 (Devolution CCBR is way better than regular r200)

I feel that Devo is overrated :ohwell:

EventHorizon

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I did all of this, per your instructions, and ran into an issue when it asked me about a memory card (on my Wii). For some reason, when I tried this earlier today, I didn't realize that I had to use the classic pro controller that was plugged into the wii remote in order to select format, etc.

So tonight I launched it, without the disk, formatted my "virtual"? memory card, and started to play the game.

My question to you is, all of this data is on a 2gb SD card. On that card I have the homebrew install, devolution app, the ISO of Smash Melee, and now I suppose the game save. Will I simply be able to use this card on the WII U, or will I have to repeat the process there as well, losing any progress I have made in the game?

EventHorizon

Smash Rookie
Oh, and one more thing, can I use the online file saves from gamfaq, so as to have the ability to have everything unlocked? I downloaded a usb save from gamefaq and it has a .gci extension, but I'm not sure if I can just copy that to the SD card and load it from in game, or if I have to download another app to use in homebrew to get the iso game to use it instead of the one I created when I first started to play.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Nowadays, CRT TVs for normal use (watch tv, watch movies, etc.) are useless :(

sometimes when using an old crt TV i feel anachronic, depressive and a little bit sad :c

maybe i could prefer a BenQ or Asus monitor..

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Nowadays, CRT TVs for normal use (watch tv, watch movies, etc.) are useless :(

sometimes when using an old crt TV i feel anachronic, depressive and a little bit sad :c

maybe i could prefer a BenQ or Asus monitor..
Yeah with my setup I just use my BenQ + C & E Component to HDMI adapter. It wasn't super costly and the picture quality is pretty good. It's not great, or amazing, but there's very little input lag on the monitor and adapter to the point where I can practice solo tech easily. Plus I like being able to carry a 5lbs monitor to tournaments etc as opposed to driving this old 50lbs CRT around. Just my 2cents

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Yeah with my setup I just use my BenQ + C & E Component to HDMI adapter. It wasn't super costly and the picture quality is pretty good. It's not great, or amazing, but there's very little input lag on the monitor and adapter to the point where I can practice solo tech easily. Plus I like being able to carry a 5lbs monitor to tournaments etc as opposed to driving this old 50lbs CRT around. Just my 2cents
another PRO about BenQ or ASUS gaming monitors, unlike CRT TVs, the gaming LED TVs does not waste energy and avoids short-circuits... d'you know what i mean n.n

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
another PRO about BenQ or ASUS gaming monitors, unlike CRT TVs, the gaming LED TVs does not waste energy and avoids short-circuits... d'you know what i mean n.n
Never heard of a CRT short circuiting but with the amount of dust that gets on the tube I wouldnt doubt it. Also yeah they use a lot less energy which is nice. They don't last as long though, I have a CRT back from the 80's that still works.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Never heard of a CRT short circuiting but with the amount of dust that gets on the tube I wouldnt doubt it. Also yeah they use a lot less energy which is nice. They don't last as long though, I have a CRT back from the 80's that still works.
but CRT waste more energy than flat TVs... anyways, there's no much difference

strikerdark

Smash Rookie
I signed up to let you guys know that as of v236 the stick sensitivity problem with Nintendont and the gamecube adapter has been fixed. We think that this could have also fixed the input lag problem, but we are not sure. Please post your impressions on v236.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I signed up to let you guys know that as of v236 the stick sensitivity problem with Nintendont and the gamecube adapter has been fixed. We think that this could have also fixed the input lag problem, but we are not sure. Please post your impressions on v236.
I hope this works well, I'm eager to be playing Melee on my WiiU :)

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
I'm still kind of a noob, but switching over from Dolphin to nintendont I didn't feel any input lag or control stick sensitivity issues. Might need someone more experienced to confirm this though!

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
So i did a bit of testing and wrote to howard, it seems like the issue with the controller is found, though since he didn't reply yet i cannot confirm if its actually fixable (it has a lot to do with how the USB-Adapter is working).

Anyway since he is actually listening and wants as many details as possible you may donate towards him:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted

you can PM this guy on gbatemp as well, if you're sending him something that doesn't work as you think it should be provide as many information as possible:

- which version do you use
- have you checked that it is actually working incorrectly (my controller went a bit to the right on nintendont when i pressed start, doesn't happen on Wii/Gamecube so i confirmed it this way. Again: Why the USB Adapter is not working correctly is pretty much set)
- do you know another loader (Wii U would be better, though he asked me something about the Wii as well, so again: just as many details as possible)

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Hope to see this being a completely solvable thing in the future. Gamecube on WiiU will be great once everything is working out well

EventHorizon

Smash Rookie
Thanks for this post. I bought a used GC version of Melee, ripped it to a SD card (16 GB Kingston). I got everything set up on my old Wii (4.3). I have all of our games ripped to a 32 GB USB thumb drive. My son can play all of the games, and SMASH Melee. I then bought a WII U for xmas, updated it, applied homebrew to the vWII and I can do everything on the vWii that we do on the actual Wii. Pretty awesome. Thanks for this post.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
So, does the newest version of nintendont allow almost a 1:1 copy of melee?

Last edited:

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
I hope that there are instructions on how to run this on the WiiU. I just want to play Melee on a HD monitor without lag or with unnoticeable lag. Hopefully they figure out how to get GC controllers to work with the Wii U.

Hibernian99

Smash Cadet
It works. Me and stric are playing falco dittos on it right now.
PLEASE HELP ME!!! I followed all of the steps, and the wii u smash 4 adapter is not working for me, even tried a mayflash usb adapter been trying all day, I really need help!!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I have not read the whole thread but are there any common issues with equipment with this or is it pretty much free of problems and bugs?

Aelo

Smash Rookie
I have not read the whole thread but are there any common issues with equipment with this or is it pretty much free of problems and bugs?
Yesterday I tried installing the Homebrew Channel for the first time on my Wii U. It was a total success and there wasn't any real problem or issues while installing that. I was afraid of messing up my Wii U but happily the process was as easy as dragging and dropping files into an SD card and the pressing some buttons. Easy stuff.

Now, Nintendon't doesn't need to be installed as a .wad file, which is amazing because that means the only thing you have to do to have the program running is to drag and drop the files you need (3 files to be precise) into your USB or SD along with your ripped iso files. After messing around with some options, updating the software and downloading some controller drivers (I don't know exactly how to call them so I'm just going to call them that) the Wii U Gamecube Adapter becomes fully compatible, and you can even play the game on Widescreen, amongst other cool new features.

Everything worked perfect. I didn't notice input lag, but I'm pretty sure there was a little bit of it, only almost non-existant. The adapter worked perfectly and it detected the 4 ports. The game didn't lag or crash at all and the loading times were wicked fast. I managed to run the 20XX Hack Pack without any issues.

The only things worth mentioning as a downside (if you even consider them that) is that sometimes Nintendon't messes up the music, and you play on a silent stage or maybe you're left on a silent CSS screen. The problem is fixed whenever you start/finish a match though so don't worry, it's nothing too serious.

So yeah, overall, this project was a total success and I'm really enjoying it. Now the only thing we must figure out is how to reduce lag completely, and I don't know if that's a thing with the actual Nintendon't, or the monitor or whatever.

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Huh? I have a Hanns-G monitor, use the Mayflash Gamecube-Classic Controller adapter and I don't notice any lag. Maybe it's just me. Yes the load times are really fast and the music tends to either become too quiet, stop completely or turn into static. There were previous revisions of Nintendont that never had the music issues.

kardus

Smash Rookie
Yesterday I tried installing the Homebrew Channel for the first time on my Wii U. It was a total success and there wasn't any real problem or issues while installing that. I was afraid of messing up my Wii U but happily the process was as easy as dragging and dropping files into an SD card and the pressing some buttons. Easy stuff.

Now, Nintendon't doesn't need to be installed as a .wad file, which is amazing because that means the only thing you have to do to have the program running is to drag and drop the files you need (3 files to be precise) into your USB or SD along with your ripped iso files. After messing around with some options, updating the software and downloading some controller drivers (I don't know exactly how to call them so I'm just going to call them that) the Wii U Gamecube Adapter becomes fully compatible, and you can even play the game on Widescreen, amongst other cool new features.

Everything worked perfect. I didn't notice input lag, but I'm pretty sure there was a little bit of it, only almost non-existant. The adapter worked perfectly and it detected the 4 ports. The game didn't lag or crash at all and the loading times were wicked fast. I managed to run the 20XX Hack Pack without any issues.

The only things worth mentioning as a downside (if you even consider them that) is that sometimes Nintendon't messes up the music, and you play on a silent stage or maybe you're left on a silent CSS screen. The problem is fixed whenever you start/finish a match though so don't worry, it's nothing too serious.

So yeah, overall, this project was a total success and I'm really enjoying it. Now the only thing we must figure out is how to reduce lag completely, and I don't know if that's a thing with the actual Nintendon't, or the monitor or whatever.
Is the picture quality really bad for you? I heard that changing the Wii U to 480p mode (instead of 1080p) and then connecting it to the screen with component cables allows your TV to upscale instead of the Wii U, resulting in a better picture.

Top Bottom