• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee running on Wii U through Homebrew (Works with Wii U Adapter now, will update OP soon)

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
So is this dangerous to use on Wii U? I didn't read the whole thread (just a lot) but what exactly do I need in order to play both PM and Melee on my Wii U? I have my Wii U on HDMI to my lagless (BenQ) gaming monitor and Smash 4 runs perfectly on it. There's Nintendont and that other thing, devolution, right? I have the gamecube controller adapter and I don't want any lag. I tried melee and PM on dolphin and both felt like they had a little bit of lag to them - melee a lot more so than PM. I have a very powerful gaming computer, if that makes a difference there. I really don't want to damage my WiiU or do anything that could potentially brick it during some update. Can someone please tell me what exactly I need to do in order to play these games with 0 lag given that I have the official wii u gamecube controller adapter, whether a usb device would be better than an SD card, which type of the aforementioned I need and how safe this is? Thanks a ton!

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Nintendont lets you play Gamecube games with a Classic Controller, Nunchucks and HID devices. The USB drive should be plugged to the back top port of the Wii U. Don't worry, it's safe! I clocked a lot of time playing Melee on Nintendont.

Last edited:

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
Nintendont lets you play Gamecube games with a Classic Controller, Nunchucks and HID devices. The USB drive should be plugged to the back top port of the Wii U. Don't worry, it's safe! I clocked a lot of time playing Melee on Nintendont.
What about the lag issues?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I tried to look up newer information regarding lag for the game. I will be using a MayFlash to WiiU adapter and having it run through a BenQ monitor through HDMI. I imagine it'll be something like 10ms from monitor + 3ms from adapter, however I'm wondering how much the conversion to Gamecube > vWii will introduce since there's probably atleast half a frame here since it's not a true Wii. Let me know what you guys think.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I tried to look up newer information regarding lag for the game. I will be using a MayFlash to WiiU adapter and having it run through a BenQ monitor through HDMI. I imagine it'll be something like 10ms from monitor + 3ms from adapter, however I'm wondering how much the conversion to Gamecube > vWii will introduce since there's probably atleast half a frame here since it's not a true Wii. Let me know what you guys think.
Sorry for the double post, as I'm sure no one cares. With the WiiU there is atleast 4-5 frames of input lag on it, and the upscaled HD looks awful in comparison to just connecting a GameCube or Wii through Component and converting it to HD.
Probably a viable option for casual players if using CRT but on a gaming monitor, it's unplayable. Couldn't chaingrab a falco to save my life on FD with this setup. Eager for more updates to the emulator in the future :)

Massive

Smash Champion
A lot of the input lag issues with nintendont come from the fact that it's running an input emulator and not an input forwarder.

It was programmed that way to accommodate multiple controller types (including playstation and a few other controllers via bluetooth), but it ends up adding a lot of lag for the gamecube controllers, to the point it's unplayable.

I have heard rumblings of a hardware forwarding setup on Devolution and a few other GCN emulators, but no confirmations.

Top Bottom