• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight has just gained a bad match up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Of course, odds are Mk can uair after the ftilt to prevent the combo. Awhile back the highly boards thought they had some crazy footstool combos, only to realize trying to footstool is pretty much throwing your hurtbox out.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
@xDD master

Yeah, but nana can be killed early, rendering their CG useless. Think a bit before you post.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.

"hello we are the Ice Climbers, we can Infinit every Character at every %, so we are a bad Match-Up for everyone, kthxbye :)"

1 grab at 0+ = death

how can they NOT be a bad matchup???? and it does work...
#1 low rab range

#2 seperate them

#3 it is harder to CG with IC's than Saltus with Sheik

brinboy789

Smash Champion

"hello we are the Ice Climbers, we can Infinit every Character at every %, so we are a bad Match-Up for everyone, kthxbye :)"

1 grab at 0+ = death

because 1 ftilt which has pretty good range and is fast and virtually unpunishable is easier to get then a character which needs 2 characters present with crap grab range and is highly punishable? just maybe because of that? :dizzy:

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
"I've been waiting for this moment all my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiife, it's my destinyyyyyyyyyyy"

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
1) Only works on FD, which can be banned.

2) Unsweetspotted bair can probably be smash DI'd to move the infinite until Meta reaches the ledge, if he let the sheik take him to FD.

3) Meta can probably nair or uair before the footstool.

I really doubt the effectiveness of this :/ It'll be just as practical as the Peach infinite on Wario (which works almost the same way). Warios just ban FD, and if they were caught in the infinite they just smash DI the unsweetspotted bair till they reach the ledge.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Suuure. You say that after you ere proven wrong :p
But nobody proved him wrong.

He said that having an X-death combo wasn't automatically a bad matchup, and provided an example that showed it. The Ice Climbers (ie, his example) have 0-death combos but aren't automatically bad matchups for everyone, the example seems fine to me.

This may prove too hard to land the ftilt reliably, too conditional (if you're near the edge of the stage MK will just go off the edge instead of getting locked, FD only), etc. etc. etc. It needs more testing before, if it even works as advertised, it can be determined what it will do to the matchup. That's how it could not be a bad matchup.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace

2) Unsweetspotted bair can probably be smash DI'd to move the infinite until Meta reaches the ledge, if he let the sheik take him to FD.

I really doubt the effectiveness of this :/ It'll be just as practical as the Peach infinite on Wario (which works almost the same way). Warios just ban FD, and if they were caught in the infinite they just smash DI the unsweetspotted bair till they reach the ledge.
Probably = key word

We don't even know if this guy's bro can DI that well.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol you people act like it's impossible to avoid getting hit with Ftilt.

And yeah, platforms **** this up big time as well.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Probably = key word

We don't even know if this guy's bro can DI that well. Which is why I said we can't party yet.

If it's true infinite, you and all the other pro-bans finally have to shut the hell up :)
So bitter...

I for one would be glad if the game ended up better balanced without having to ban a character. It just doesn't seem likely to happen.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
So bitter...

I for one would be glad if the game ended up better balanced without having to ban a character. It just doesn't seem likely to happen.
As much as I want this to be a true infinite, I'm also having doubts that it will be as well. But he have to get a good player that knows how to DI really well. We have to wait and see.

brinboy789

Smash Champion

1. it seems like the infinite is not a grab release, its a ftilt instead, which means that platforms probably wont interrupt the infinite...which is what it looks like so far. not sure about this though

2. you can bair do this either way. so doesnt matterwhere you smash DI

3. doesnt look like it in the vid at least

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy

1 grab at 0+ = death

Oh for ****'s sake, this is a horrible argument that everyone needs to stfu about.

lol you people act like it's impossible to avoid getting hit with Ftilt.
Only an idiot would think otherwise.

salaboB

Smash Champion
1. it seems like the infinite is not a grab release, its a ftilt instead, which means that platforms probably wont interrupt the infinite...which is what it looks like so far. not sure about this though
Watch Sheik's movement and then say that platforms won't get in the way of it.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I still think people are overrating this...

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
TC hurry the fack up and test this over someone good on wifi. I wanna know if I can tell all pro bans to shut the hell up or not.

salaboB

Smash Champion
TC hurry the fack up and test this over someone good on wifi. I wanna know if I can tell all pro bans to shut the hell up or not.
I want to tell all the anti-bans who said if you ban MK he'd never get anything discovered on him that this is proof that new techniques will get tested against MK even if he ends up banned - just look at all the "Does it work on <X>" that's going on.

Note that this technique does work on others than just MK (Assuming it's verified to work), so it would have been found eventually if Sheik's metagame were developed (Which it should be), so it would have then been tested on MK to see if it would provide a counter and get him unbanned.

Ding. Progress!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
You can't fastfall through platforms while you're doing an aerial which means you won't be able to get the sourspot. Please actually think or test things before posting sarcastic and incorrect comments.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I want to tell all the anti-bans who said if you ban MK he'd never get anything discovered on him that this is proof that new techniques will get tested against MK even if he ends up banned - just look at all the "Does it work on <X>" that's going on.

Note that this technique does work on others than just MK (Assuming it's verified to work), so it would have been found eventually if Sheik's metagame were developed (Which it should be), so it would have then been tested on MK to see if it would provide a counter and get him unbanned.

Ding. Progress!
So MK isn't significantly preventing The glorious advancement of the proletariat metagame because even obscure-a$$ characters like Sheik are actively looking for new advantages and testing things?

wheeeeee

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Big deal..

Ice climbers has an infinate on MK but its still MK's favor.

Link Ike Pika Mario and many many other characters can jab lock MK to kill %'s and just like this there is nothing he can do. But it's still MK's favor.

This won't change the matchup that much. A 5 point swing at the most. It practically accomplishes the same thing as a jab lock.

salaboB

Smash Champion
So MK isn't significantly preventing The glorious advancement of the proletariat metagame because even obscure-a$$ characters like Sheik are actively looking for new advantages and testing things?

wheeeeee
No, it was just one very stupid claim that was being made and this pretty nicely debunks.

Because any new, really effective tech would be tested against MK whether he was banned or not -- and he doesn't have any particularily special properties (Unlike say, Wario) that would allow many techniques to exist that only work on him, so most of the new techs would be located with or without MK being the one they were being used against initially.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
You can't fastfall through platforms while you're doing an aerial which means you won't be able to get the sourspot. Please actually think or test things before posting sarcastic and incorrect comments.
Sheik's bair, with fairly lenient timing, can sourspot while you fastfall through a platform. I just did it. You can do it too. Please actually think or test things before trying to sound cute.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I'll have to experiment with this some more. There has to be more than one way to do it. Sheik has to many options.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord

wheeeeee
Did you even lusten to what you just said? Better yet, what he said?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
An argument I have heard more than once: people don't test things on characters that aren't used much, which leads to their potential being unexplored due to the ease of picking up metaknight or the trouble they have with him et ceteraaaaa

Here we have an obscure character getting her abilities tested regardless.

Unless you're going for some standard armchair quarterback bull. In which case put up whatever the hell you have to say to me in the open or shut the hell up with your reactionary ****.

salaboB

Smash Champion
An argument I have heard more than once: people don't test things on characters that aren't used much, which leads to their potential being unexplored due to the ease of picking up metaknight or the trouble they have with him et ceteraaaaa

Here we have an obscure character getting her abilities tested regardless.

Unless you're going for some standard armchair quarterback bull. In which case put up whatever the hell you have to say to me in the open or shut the hell up with your reactionary ****.
You got it from the wrong side. I wasn't commenting on Sheik finding something new, but on the characters the new tech was being tested against.

I was referencing the "Does it work on <insert random character>?" barrage of questions that were being asked (In the initial thread for it) as proof that even if MK were banned people would be interested in finding out if it would work on him -- a lot of the characters being asked about aren't exactly high tiers, so they're not strong tournament contenders, but people were asking anyway.

Thus, the anti-ban argument of, "If you ban MK no new techs will be found against him and he'll never be unbanned because nobody will ever test things on him." is found lacking, because someone would go, "But what about MK?" when something like this was discovered in the future. They're doing it for Peach, Bowser, etc. after all.

That point was a minor one, and an old one -- brought back from the second ban discussion thread, iirc. But I like to find factual evidence to support my statements when possible, and that was one of the points I'd been defending.

Edit: The only reason I chose to bring that specific ban discussion point up here was because this thread was dedicated to MK just gaining a bad matchup -- I didn't bring it up in the one posted on the Sheik boards where the tech is being looked at more generally.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Big deal..

Ice climbers has an infinate on MK but its still MK's favor.

Link Ike Pika Mario and many many other characters can jab lock MK to kill %'s and just like this there is nothing he can do. But it's still MK's favor.

This won't change the matchup that much. A 5 point swing at the most. It practically accomplishes the same thing as a jab lock.
why are people so unwilling to accept that MK has a disadvantaged matchup? this is definitely NOT like the IC infinite OR jab lock >_>. i'll leave it to your imagination why.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
You're refuting a very poor argument to begin with. It's more valid to say, "If you ban MK, nobody (who doesn't go to a tournament with MK legal) will have tournament practice against him, so that's a detriment to consider."

salaboB

Smash Champion
why are people so unwilling to accept that MK has a disadvantaged matchup? this is definitely NOT like the IC infinite OR jab lock >_>. i'll leave it to your imagination why.
In my case, because I still remember Bowser, Yoshi, Olimar, Zamus, Diddy, etc. all being presented as even or counters of MK, and not one of them has proven that claim.

I'll believe it when it's tested by skilled players in tournament conditions (Or at least as a starter, serious friendlies) and actually found to be as effective as advertised. Until then, there's just been way too many false hopes in the past.
You're refuting a very poor argument to begin with. It's more valid to say, "If you ban MK, nobody (who doesn't go to a tournament with MK legal) will have tournament practice against him, so that's a detriment to consider."
Yeah, but that will only matter if he actually gets banned then unbanned -- and if he did get unbanned after being banned, people will recall how to fight him fast enough. I don't really find this point much stronger for a reason to not ban him than the other.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
sala, I'll reply to you in the other thread, for the sake of not polluting this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom