• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight has just gained a bad match up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
In my case, because I still remember Bowser, Yoshi, Olimar, Zamus, Diddy, etc. all being presented as even or counters of MK, and not one of them has proven that claim.

I'll believe it when it's tested by skilled players in tournament conditions (Or at least as a starter, serious friendlies) and actually found to be as effective as advertised. Until then, there's just been way too many false hopes in the past.

Thank you!

There is plenty of historical reference to support that no matter who rose to the occasion to challenge MK, MK always found a way to win.

Thus, I attribute this as a significant progress in shieks metagame. But in terms of matchup ratio's this is being WAY over hyped.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Hm, so I figured I'd get a bit of frame data on this.

Frame advatnage after hitting MK with a fresh ftilt @ 40%: +8

This advantage is really +10 when you take into consideration that his fastest option (airdodging) takes 3 frames to come out. So the ftilt -> footstool seems to be guaranteed. If MK ASDI's away though you'll have to dash for one or two frames before you jump to get in footstool range. I wonder if ASDIing away and jumping could mess this up? Things could get pretty tight here frame wise.

Now for the rest of this string. Let's look into MK's "stun time":

-Time spent falling after footstool: 10 frames (this is variable of course, and depends on how high he is off the ground when footstooled. )

-Stun time on the ground: 26 frames (on the 27th frame he can perform one of his tech options, which gives him immediate invulnerability)

Total time stunned: ~36 frames.

So MK is made immobile for ~36 frames. This will once again be more or less, depending on how high off the ground he is when he's footstooled.

And finally the last piece:

The time it takes sheik to footstool and fastfall to hit with a bair:
~42 frames.
(this is will change slightly depending on how high she is when she footstools MK).

So MK is stunned for ~36 frames and it takes shiek ~42 frames to hit with the bair.... Yeah, I don't see how this works :dizzy:. In fact I couldn't get it to work a single time, even at varying percents. Sometimes Sheik would be within 1 frame of hitting MK, but then he would use a tech option and gain instant invulnerability. And yes, I was fastfalling at the right time.

To sum this up: from what I've seen MK can simply hold left or right to get out of this. Granted if done perfectly at a certain percent this may work, but it's far too finicky to be of use in a tournament setting. Even if this did work though the fact that it relies on a hit that can both be SDI'd and ASDI's makes it kinda bunk :/.

Of course I may be missing something here; if I am please correct me :laugh:. On that note I'd encourage others to dink around with this and see if they get the same results I have. Also sorry for the bluntness of this post, I'm tired :C

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Huh, good stuff overall... though you mentioned being off by a frame or so. I wonder if it's a true combo at certain times or not depending on how high MK is? Regardless, assuming this info is true, then this may be a false alarm...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I really don't think this thread is necessary here, especially given the rather hastily decisive title.

As much as I like Sheik, if the Bowser thread got closed with more arguments toward the matchup, this one has little reason to stay open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom