• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Whats it mean to play Meta Knight technically?

I was at a tournament once and Cort was saying how "M2K's MetaKnight is soo good, hes soo technical."

Just wondering what that meant.
it basically means using advanced techinques .. sorry but that's the best i can explain it lol... can't think >_<

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
hey dojo its tbagz dont know if you remember me i talked to you on youtube a while back (BRAWLxFANATIC)

but a very good combo is

D tilt (untill they trip) D throw, Dash attack, U Tilt, Uair, U air, U air, Uair, Nuetral B.

does around 70% damage if you can pull it off.

NOTE:

FOR ADVANCED MK USERS

Dojo

Smash Champion
Dependent upon DI of course. But that is a good setup if pulled off.

Also, MK isn't really a technical character... Unless I'm missing something. He's got little tricks here and that broken infinite but maybe Cort just meant M2K's whole gamestyle is technical. Amazing spacing, perfect timing, stuff like that.

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
Im thinking of changing my control scheme into this:
tap jump back to ON for Uair string combos and finishers
L to specials for easier IDC
I use X to jump so I was thinking of making Y shield so I can easily airdodge after getting hit to reduce hitstun

any tips?

samdaballer

Smash Ace
I use X to jump so I was thinking of making Y shield so I can easily airdodge after getting hit to reduce hitstun

any tips?
that's great but changing L to specials won't help, stick with the c-stick

Dojo

Smash Champion
Controller configs aren't my thing. I've had the same basic setup with tapjump on forever and thats the way its staying. :)

IDK

Smash Lord
whats the L to specials thing? IDC? and one guy said l special was for D.I.C.K... sorry new to MK.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord

any tips?
if you are trying to string up airs i found that it's easier for me WITHOUT tap jump on. with it on everytime you press to do an up air you may occassionally accidentally jump again and you will go above your opponent... screwing up your combo :ohwell:

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
that's great but changing L to specials won't help, stick with the c-stick
How exactly do you do IDC? Press Down + "B", to do Dimension cape(while standing on the ground) right?

Then(immediately after the animation starts), hold "Down" on the "Control/movement stick" and tap "Up" on the C stick(set to smash or set to specials?) repetitively.

I can't seem to do this, I tried it on 1/4th speed in training too. I tried using my thumb and tapping it up, and then tried tapping it up by using the palm of my hand, can't seem to do it or make it last longer than normal.

Also, I have another question, what's a quick list of Meta Knight's KOing moves and their approximate percents?

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Will d-throw's 11 hits reset the decayed moves?

thats something that I've been wondering for a while

ckm

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly a question, but does anyone else in here use wavegliding?
Heres a trick that I do on snake players... keep in mind this only works like 85% of the time for me.. it requires really precise timing.

When Im gliding towards them, they often start to shoot a nikita at me in the hopes of catching me in my glide. Often the nikita will have not gotten very far, but is directly in my path between myself and snake. What I will do is glide attack the nikita, which (usually) knocks it out of my path. If I am close enough to the ground, I will land between the nikita and snake, sliding towards him, giving me a perfect opportunity to grab him.

This is a little advanced and tricky, but it is so sweet when it works.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Heres a trick that I do on snake players... keep in mind this only works like 85% of the time for me.. it requires really precise timing.

When Im gliding towards them, they often start to shoot a nikita at me in the hopes of catching me in my glide. Often the nikita will have not gotten very far, but is directly in my path between myself and snake. What I will do is glide attack the nikita, which (usually) knocks it out of my path. If I am close enough to the ground, I will land between the nikita and snake, sliding towards him, giving me a perfect opportunity to grab him.

This is a little advanced and tricky, but it is so sweet when it works.
Keep in mind though, most Snakes won't try to hit you with their Nikita while you're gliding. They'll usually just outprioritize or cancel your glide attack with their U-tilt.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yeah utilt is usually the move. If you time it right though you can cancel it, and while still in glide do a reverse dsmash. It comes out sickly fast.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
hey dojo, what up.

ok note on how to beat an EXPERT donkey kong user? thats my friend, its normally always down to 1 life 1 life, i win 50% of the time. but...

i always end up getting caught in donkeykongs awesome reach, and i can get koed at 80% while hes normally at 120% and the Dsmash doesnt work alot because donkeykong is a heavy character and he BARLEY lives and i dont like to spam it. also im Up- B seems to work 60% of the time, but my friend has excellent timing and is a defensive player so it can be hard to pull it off.

any words of advice?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
just gimp dk and force him to do stuff an advancd dk wouldnt do. when edgeguarding a dk he will go for either a spike perhaps or attempt his horizontal recovery. during either one just dair him when hes recoverin and dodge the spike and upair into a shuttle loop combo or fair w.e works best and depends on his distance. note that dk has little vertical recovery on his upB. also note his upB has sick priority just be careful of which frames you attack and watch for sweetspots of his fists. also note when he does his bair combo **** him with tornado. if hes holding edge charge a smash and or stage spike him if he attempts the upb edgehog tech (be careful here). hope i helps.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
just gimp dk and force him to do stuff an advancd dk wouldnt do. when edgeguarding a dk he will go for either a spike perhaps or attempt his horizontal recovery. during either one just dair him when hes recoverin and dodge the spike and upair into a shuttle loop combo or fair w.e works best and depends on his distance. note that dk has little vertical recovery on his upB. also note his upB has sick priority just be careful of which frames you attack and watch for sweetspots of his fists. also note when he does his bair combo **** him with tornado. if hes holding edge charge a smash and or stage spike him if he attempts the upb edgehog tech (be careful here). hope i helps.
it did. just one thing hes a defensive player, and has the PERFECT timing, its almost like fighting a CPU because they dodge everything, lol.

but, hes a defensive player so.. he sits on one side and takes advantage of my impatience level. when running after him, he either side steps EVEN WHEN I FAKE IT OUT, he knows its coming. or sheilds then grabs be and does a back throw or finishes it with a fatal down smash.

i just need advice on how to get him when hes waiting for me at the edge, before he has time to pull off a sneaky smash attack.

but everything else u said was PHENOMENAL (excuse the spelling) HELP

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Question: Would canceling a f-tilt chain (after the 1st-2nd hit) into a D-smash have a use? Just started this a while ago, and the 1st f-tilt seems to function a lot more like a jab combo, and can likewise be canceled. Tbh, I first started this with Samus(old main, now secondary) and I wondered if that would have any use with MK.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Question: Would canceling a f-tilt chain (after the 1st-2nd hit) into a D-smash have a use? Just started this a while ago, and the 1st f-tilt seems to function a lot more like a jab combo, and can likewise be canceled. Tbh, I first started this with Samus(old main, now secondary) and I wondered if that would have any use with MK.
The first 2 hits of MK's F-tilt can link well to D-tilts at low percentages.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
it did. just one thing hes a defensive player, and has the PERFECT timing, its almost like fighting a CPU because they dodge everything, lol.

but, hes a defensive player so.. he sits on one side and takes advantage of my impatience level. when running after him, he either side steps EVEN WHEN I FAKE IT OUT, he knows its coming. or sheilds then grabs be and does a back throw or finishes it with a fatal down smash.

i just need advice on how to get him when hes waiting for me at the edge, before he has time to pull off a sneaky smash attack.

but everything else u said was PHENOMENAL (excuse the spelling) HELP
all of dk's smash attacks are NOT roll dodge friendly. but they ARE spot dodge friendly.
if you roll dodge away from his fsmash for example he can quickly pull off a dsmash with no lag on startup >_<. spot dodging can improve ur game against a dk who uses such techs (most) and u can either tilt,dsmash w.e helps u win ya know. and since he wait for u and u are an aggresive player id just whorenado him or space a tilt into a tornado to screw him up. and since u mention he side steps (im assumin) take advantage and use your dsmash. ALWAYS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DK's lag...his lag is almost worst than bowsers xD lol. and hell its ok if he throws u dks are awesome at grabs...thing is...dnt let him grab u...spot dodge that **** ^^ hope that bit helpd too.

Dojo

Smash Champion
hey dojo, what up.

ok note on how to beat an EXPERT donkey kong user? thats my friend, its normally always down to 1 life 1 life, i win 50% of the time. but...

i always end up getting caught in donkeykongs awesome reach, and i can get koed at 80% while hes normally at 120% and the Dsmash doesnt work alot because donkeykong is a heavy character and he BARLEY lives and i dont like to spam it. also im Up- B seems to work 60% of the time, but my friend has excellent timing and is a defensive player so it can be hard to pull it off.

any words of advice?
Once you find a way to get him off stage, play an edgeguarding game on stage. React from hi movements. Get a few paces off the edge. If he pulls on, just dodge in case of attacks and get him back off. You can counter a jump with a fair and knock him back off. If he comes on with an upb. Just wait for the lag time after it and dsmash, fsmash, etc. Focus on getting him off the edge and keeping him there.

Mix up your first 2 ftilt hits with dtilts. Works wonders. :)

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
all of dk's smash attacks are NOT roll dodge friendly. but they ARE spot dodge friendly.
if you roll dodge away from his fsmash for example he can quickly pull off a dsmash with no lag on startup >_<. spot dodging can improve ur game against a dk who uses such techs (most) and u can either tilt,dsmash w.e helps u win ya know. and since he wait for u and u are an aggresive player id just whorenado him or space a tilt into a tornado to screw him up. and since u mention he side steps (im assumin) take advantage and use your dsmash. ALWAYS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DK's lag...his lag is almost worst than bowsers xD lol. and hell its ok if he throws u dks are awesome at grabs...thing is...dnt let him grab u...spot dodge that **** ^^ hope that bit helpd too.
thanks dude, it really did ^.^

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412

any words of advice?
Watch 3:15+. I could have spaced better but I think I did well. Hope it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y93TgXMuzc

TomTom

Smash Cadet
Are there any serious uses for MK's Neutral-A? I try to avoid using it at any time, as it seems that tilt moves are always a stronger alternative. What do you think?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Are there any serious uses for MK's Neutral-A? I try to avoid using it at any time, as it seems that tilt moves are always a stronger alternative. What do you think?
Not really, you'll wanna use tilts instead.

Some say it can be used for an infinite against walls, but it can always be SDI'd out of.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Snakes nuetral A is good :p.

I was wondering if MK's Nair can gimp all recoverys. I've been trying it on diff characters and it seems to be working, but i was just working if it works on all UpB's and other forms of recovery. Meaning it stops it.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
How exactly do you do IDC? Press Down + "B", to do Dimension cape(while standing on the ground) right?

Then(immediately after the animation starts), hold "Down" on the "Control/movement stick" and tap "Up" on the C stick(set to smash?) repetitively.

I can't seem to do this, I tried it on 1/4th speed in training too. I tried using my thumb and tapping it up(pushing up repetitively), and then tried tapping it up by using the palm of my hand, can't seem to do it or make it last longer than normal.

Also, I have another question, what's a quick list of Meta Knight's KOing moves and their approximate percents?

TomTom

Smash Cadet

Then(immediately after the animation starts), hold "Down" on the "Control/movement stick" and tap "Up" on the C stick(set to smash?) repetitively.

I can't seem to do this, I tried it on 1/4th speed in training too. I tried using my thumb and tapping it up(pushing up repetitively), and then tried tapping it up by using the palm of my hand, can't seem to do it or make it last longer than normal.
Make sure you're doing everything right, and practice I suppose? One stupid mistake I found myself doing was not holding down on the control stick throughout the move. Maybe you could identify similar problems?

• Shuttle Loop (Up+B): 9%, 12% on subsequent gliding attack
  • Down Smash: 11+13% (on either side)
Also, neutral air is a good kill move at higher % (12+7% damage), and down air (7-9%) is great at gimping recoveries. Forward smash (14%) is a slower but nevertheless powerful alternative to the down smash.

Hope I've helped. :lol:

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Is it good to claw the uair combos so that I can maximise my aerial movement and keep a string going instead of ending with a fair?

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Make sure you're doing everything right, and practice I suppose? One stupid mistake I found myself doing was not holding down on the control stick throughout the move. Maybe you could identify similar problems?
Yeah, I am holding down the control stick, tapping the C-stick up(set to smash right?).

You don't hold "B" right, just hold down on control stick? Well, I tried it without holidng B and holding B on 1/4th speed, I can't seem to get it to work. Tried on all the speeds in training mode also.

Does even setting it on 1/4th speed actually make things easier? Because I know I am pushing the C-stick fast enough(I tried slowing the speed I tapped it to increasing the speed, but it still doesn't seem to work).

I can't even make Dimenion Cape last longer than it normally lasts.

Hmmm, does Tap Jump need to be set on(Jump when pressing up on the control stick)? I don't have that set to off.

I using the Classic Controller if that means anything.
* Shuttle Loop (Up+B): 9%, 12% on subsequent gliding attack
* Down Smash: 11+13% (on either side)

Also, neutral air is a good kill move at higher % (12+7% damage), and down air (7-9%) is great at gimping recoveries. Forward smash (14%) is a slower but nevertheless powerful alternative to the down smash.

Hope I've helped.
Anyway, that post did help, thanks.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Going into 1/4 mode makes this impossible. Any movements on the C-stick to not register in 1/2 and 1/4 mode. Go into 3/4 mode if you want to get a feel for the IDC.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
When my opponent is shielding and I am outside his range trying to pressure it with fairs.... Should I be fastfalling them? I don't know if landing with no lag at all is worth the time it takes to just FF and suffer little lag...

Also, sorry for posting this is another thread, I didn't see the questions thread =[

Top Bottom