• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Minute, DI Part 4, Out Now! 12/13/2011 UPDATE!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's a secret :p

BTW, can anyone who know's Japanese help me out when making Japnese tags and titles for my videos?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The only one I know for sure is ROB, and that Nana is slightly in the Z-Axis, but that might only be whenever Popo is occupying the same spot.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is my favorite show.

Good stuff.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Sorry it's taking so long guys, I'll have it up in a couple of hours

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Wow, a lot of characters can't escape this on BF lol. I always wondered why my jiggs got jab locks off of this all the time.

Also, for people missing this, MK can setup infinites on all of the characters luigi was knocking down on BF with this /sad

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is there a list for other "important" platforms, like on Lylat or Pokémon Stadium 1?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Isn't the SV platform ever so slightly higher than the BF ones? Probably the most important platform in the game.

Also can't you just buffer a grab as you are sliding off the platform to regain control?

Yikarur

Smash Master
why grab?
At least you can't airdodge because if you airdodge close to the ground you'll cancel the airdodge animation with tech.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Isn't the SV platform ever so slightly higher than the BF ones? Probably the most important platform in the game.

Also can't you just buffer a grab as you are sliding off the platform to regain control?
this is true depending on how strong the attack that hit you was and how far away from the ledge you are

I made sure to include traps in the video that either you couldn't do this, or you'd be hit for doing so

Tesh

Smash Hero
why grab?
At least you can't airdodge because if you airdodge close to the ground you'll cancel the airdodge animation with tech.
You can grab during shield push (after shieldstun though) and if you slide off of a platform during a grab, you don't tumble, you just go into a neutral aerial stance. As long as you are far enough from the edge, you can grab and then airdodge or double jump to avoid.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I guess my suggestion for the next Metagame Minute is.

See what characters can cancel their recovery on the edge and get their double jump back like Wolf,Fox,Falco etc. and what the frames to do it are.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Elemental (Water/Wind/Ice) mechanics and usage on characters/stages would be neat, I suppose.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I have got a question. You said that on the 9th frame that you can start moving your character to the left and the right. Well when you showed the characters that can't do anything to prevent getting that "stage smacked" animation they fell straight down with no movement involved. Wouldn't DIing to the left/right after that 9th frame increase the time you get to the ground so that characters that hit the ground on the last couple of frames of the edge slip animation wouldn't be forced to if and only if the moved to the left/right?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I have got a question. You said that on the 9th frame that you can start moving your character to the left and the right. Well when you showed the characters that can't do anything to prevent getting that "stage smacked" animation they fell straight down with no movement involved. Wouldn't DIing to the left/right after that 9th frame increase the time you get to the ground so that characters that hit the ground on the last couple of frames of the edge slip animation wouldn't be forced to if and only if the moved to the left/right?
no, moving left or right doesn't change your vertical fall speed. Watch the part where metaknight gets hit off by a super weak jab, and a fully charged f-smash by Luigi and lands on the exact same frame.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have a question about getting locked that you may be able to answer.

I've definitely seen some character roll left or right instead of getting straight up before. Can anyone tell me why that happened/how to do it?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Right, you're still falling at the same speed no matter if you DI left or right, but instead you're increasing the distance from you to the ground by shifting your character, although still moving at the same speed. In the video Luigi used a jab and then an Fsmash, but what if Luigi used jab and the MK fall straight down to the ground and then comparing it to Luigi using jab again and MK DIing to the right/left, you're saying that still wouldn't be able to get out of?

Chuee

Smash Hero
I've definitely seen some character roll left or right instead of getting straight up before. Can anyone tell me why that happened/how to do it?
I'm not 100% on this but from what I've heard you have to hit them before a certain frame to force a get up.

Laem

Smash Champion
I'm not 100% on this but from what I've heard you have to hit them before a certain frame to force a get up.
i as well believe this is correct.

Anyway, GIMR, i feel like i've done this many a time by now but i gotta say this thread
****ING DELIVERS

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Right, you're still falling at the same speed no matter if you DI left or right, but instead you're increasing the distance from you to the ground by shifting your character, although still moving at the same speed. In the video Luigi used a jab and then an Fsmash, but what if Luigi used jab and the MK fall straight down to the ground and then comparing it to Luigi using jab again and MK DIing to the right/left, you're saying that still wouldn't be able to get out of?
Correct. Being able to move left or right is pretty much the same effect as being hit with a stronger or weaker move here; it doesn't affect how early or late your character hits the wrong.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm pretty sure this applies to Halberd's platform and Frigate's 2nd part platform seeing how they are about the same height as BFs.

Wait...If MK's were to combine this vid and the first one...gay...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Assuming a lock consists of multiple hits, does it only matter for the the first hit or the final hit?

Chuee

Smash Hero
I think it's for each time you hit them.
I haven't heard about that for more than one hit, but I'd assume it's the same.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, wait--Do you mean that if your hit is too late, they just act like they were hit while standing, more or less?

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure this applies to Halberd's platform and Frigate's 2nd part platform seeing how they are about the same height as BFs.

Wait...If MK's were to combine this vid and the first one...gay...
Lylats Sideplatforms from the ground are about the same heigh as battlefields.
PS1 Platforms are at the same height.
Halberds has the same height on the Ship.
Some Delfino Main Stages
Brinstar Right Platform to right flat ground has about the same height.

Frigate's platforms are higher than BFs.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@ player 1 - each character's edge slip animation is a set animation. moving left or right doesn't rotate the character in any way and it doesn't make him fall faster. Trust me, I.did the research.

@reflex: I think it has to do with jab locking some one after the window of time you're supposed to.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Oh, wait--Do you mean that if your hit is too late, they just act like they were hit while standing, more or less?
not really, they still have the same jab lock animation, however they can roll or getup attack instead of having a forced getup.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
not really, they still have the same jab lock animation, however they can roll or getup attack instead of having a forced getup.
Yeah that's what happens when both people are slow. For example, someone misses a tech, then after the duration of time where they could have been locked they still haven't pressed anything (otherwise they would have escaped already) and are hit with a move that has locking properties. At this point, they're not locked. You see the 'flopping' animation but because it wasn't used quickly enough they don't get locked. They then realise what has happened and start frantically trying to mash out because they think they're locked (like that's gonna help if they actually were) and all of a sudden they roll or attack. The confusion arises because both players were too slow.

@GIMR: This is really useful info man. EA was telling me about this a while go. You've all done a great job getting it all together.

Top Bottom