• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**metrocon** July 24th Twilight Showdon

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
As some may know, I hosted Twilight Showdown at Metrocon last year. The time has come again for Smash tournies at Metrocon. I have talked to the man in charge of Metro's game room where the tournaments will be held and he has told me that if people are only there for the tournament they do not have to buy a pass. All you have to pay is entry fee for the tournament of your choice. You can also bring TVs, systems, power strips, and any other type of equipment. IT IS HEAVILY ENCOURAGED! This allow the tournament to proceed faster. Especially since I am doing Singles and Doubles for both Melee andd Brawl in the same day.

Now, I need your input on this part. Last year Metrocon took 50% of the pot. I know, that's a lot. Tell me what you guys think is the right amount to take. I heard that some TMs take 25% for their cut. Is that reasonable to you guys? I want to know what everyone's opinion is before I begin the talks with Metrocon concerning tournament fees and player turnout.

Thanks guys. I will keep you posted.

nevershootme

Smash Master
do this...

$5 door (goes to con)
$10 singles
$20 doubles (team price)

if prices are too much then just chop singles and doubles prices in half.

therefore, no worries on additional **** and you're good to go. since you have full control of the tourney at the con, you can do whatever you want...

speaking of anime cons... I need to get settled on taking charge of yasumicon 2010

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
do this...

$5 door (goes to con)
$10 singles
$20 doubles (team price)

if prices are too much then just chop singles and doubles prices in half.

therefore, no worries on additional **** and you're good to go. since you have full control of the tourney at the con, you can do whatever you want...

speaking of anime cons... I need to get settled on taking charge of yasumicon 2010
I agree with this. A door fee would cover the venue cost, they should have nothing to do with the actual pot.

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Well did they take any money out of the pot?
No, all their money came from the door fee.

So far it seems there is a majority for charging a door fee to cover Metrocon's charge. Continue to feed me your opinions and I will take them to Metrocon's leaders. Because I believe, if enough people will come out if they do a door fee, the more they will have to accept it so they can have a large crowd.

nevershootme

Smash Master
No, all their money came from the door fee.

So far it seems there is a majority for charging a door fee to cover Metrocon's charge. Continue to feed me your opinions and I will take them to Metrocon's leaders. Because I believe, if enough people will come out if they do a door fee, the more they will have to accept it so they can have a large crowd.
well the reason being is you don't get your tail chased by random people complaining about the fees and pot **** at the end of the tourney (unless they're hesitatnt on ****** more off the pot in addition to the door fees you collect) and then people will just scam you for being a bad host and blacklist you...

if you charge $15 and take 30%-35% of the fees (which is what gigabits did) that equates to $5 being taken off each person compared to $5 door + $10 entry.

here's another pitch...

charge the $5 door for those who didn't have their con passes while those who have con passes, just charge them for the entry fee. that way you're not ****** an extra $5 off a con goer so they can go buy some pocky or ramue since they're paying full price to have fun at the con while the non-con goer can just go to the tourney and play.

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Now, I do like the idea of the $5 door fee.

Concerning the door fee for those who do have a Metrocon wristband or do not, money would still be taken by Metrocon whether you have a band or not. Every third party tournament that Metro has allowed, they have always taken money from the pot. They take 50%! yeah, I know. I told them about it last year and that players did not like that. He told me that they may only 30% next time. Now, that does sound reasonable but what's important is what you the players think.

Back to the door fee - I will have to keep track of how many players are entering and share that with Metro officials. If the door money does not match the number of participants, they will more than likely take money out of the pot to cover it. I want to avoid pot **** as much as possible. Keep in mind, this paragraph covers the idea of a door fee if we chose to go with it and if Metro allows it.

I would love to have a sit down conversation with them and record the audio of it so you guys can hear it. haha. But right now, it's just emails. I will keep you guys posted as talks continue.

Once again, I welcome any idea.

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I have heard back from Metrocon. They have no problem taking 30% instead of 50%. I have not told them about the idea of a door fee cause I wanted your input on the 30%. If you guys are fine with it, that's what will be done. Or if you want the door fee, I will tell them of it and see if we can do that in stead of 30%.

Someone had mentioned earlier that Gigs takes 30% so it seems you guys expect that from venues.

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Now, I am thinking about making a type of card that would be posted on here for you guys to print out. It would be so you can show it to the door keeper to let them know you are there for the tournament and no the con. What do you guys think?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
mmm that could work for those who dont wanna go to the con idk tho

30% pot deduction > door fee

pot deduction benefits almost everyone sept for the winners

door fee benefits the people who win $$$ (2 or 3)

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
So then you basically don't want the players who are good (better than you) to win money at this because you're not as good as them?

I guarantee you that if you were good enough to win a tournament that you would be complaining about this. 30% pot deduction is ****ing ********.

So instead of helping out the players who actually have the most skill, you're letting the venue have their pick out of the pot.

And the less that you, yummy and beefy, would have to spend, is obviously the better choice.

That is ****ed up.

Now, I am thinking about making a type of card that would be posted on here for you guys to print out. It would be so you can show it to the door keeper to let them know you are there for the tournament and no the con. What do you guys think?
That sounds good, if you can pull it off.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
So then you basically don't want the players who are good (better than you) to win money at this because you're not as good as them?

I guarantee you that if you were good enough to win a tournament that you would be complaining about this. 30% pot deduction is ****ing ********.

So instead of helping out the players who actually have the most skill, you're letting the venue have their pick out of the pot.

And the less that you, yummy and beefy, would have to spend, is obviously the better choice.
well im only being liberal it wouldnt be just me that would have to spend less it would benefit everyone except for the 3 payout players

and no thats not what im saying at all if people are good enough i have no probelms with them winning more money at any tournament it would just be more beneficial for everyone else

also no door fee would most likely make the tournament more popular among people in the con no one wants to have to pay 45 bucks for the 3 day pass for metro con and then shell out another unnescessary $5 for a "door fee"

and yea i probably would approve of a door fee if i was good enough to win $$$ but im not so i approve of no door fee

so if pot cut is bad and door fee is fine your saying gigs is bad because they cut the pot instead of charging a door fee?

SaintAnger

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I see this is a difficult decision among the players. Yummy does have a point concerning the 30% that Gigs takes out, for I have never heard any complaining of that. I didn't say that players have not done it. Me, personally, have never heard them complain.

I want to do what's right by you guys. Where is H1roshi, Fenrir, Exarch, HungryBox, HarriettheGuy, Monk, and Lime and all the other CF Smashers? I want to hear what more players have to say. Not that I do not value everyone who has commented and provided their opinions so far, but I want more input from more players. This way it is a more balanced and fair decision to make.

Also, I will holding various fighting game tournaments at Metrocon on Friday July 23rd. If anyone is interested in more info, message me. Their only $5 entry fees.

OverLade

Smash Hero
xYz is still around...on facebook. He doesn't play anymore, though he showed up to a few tourneys in november/December.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
I think beefy has the right idea. It doesn't have much to do with hurting the winners in doubt of onesself, but relates instead to pure stats. 30% of the pot will be inarguably better for more people than a door fee.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Remnants of the melee scene are still around (SyM, Rohins, Makis, HTG, Renth, Lamugi, Bane?) but the brawl scene has just recently gotten more developed. We always try to have melee running at our fests as we still have people who play it, but the scene itself is pretty dry...

OverLade

Smash Hero
True. Bane is still around. He's one of my close friends. I thought Rohins had moved out of state. Did he come back?

Renth is here. Nice. I need to get some Ganondorf Melee matches with him.
Renth and Rohins come and go (Rohins was here for a few months and left a few weeks ago, I think renth is in Gainesville). I'm not entirely sure about everyone but occasionally HTG comes down to play on weekends.

Top Bottom