• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest TOs Unite To Ban Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I'm hosting a tourney in late november and at the moment have no intention of banning MK.

How about instead of sticking to stubborn tactics, you learn how to beat MK and learn how to find your opponents weaknesses.

Kel

Smash Master
MW circuits will NOT have MK banned (at least not this season).

I'm against the banning, but I'd still go to tournaments that actually banned him. Of course, I wouldn't actually volunteer to drive to these tournaments, so I'd only be riding along with someone else.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
this sets a really bad precedent. if we're to ban something as big as a character, then what's to stop people from banning everything and anything? banning a character goes way beyond than just banning items or certain stages. choosing a character is the first step to playing the game.

your original post in http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197057&page=335, is COMPLETELY subjective and offers no facts or statistics. it's completely based on your personal experience. that shouldn't lead to anything.

imagine if fox was banned in melee tournies. everyone would think you're an idiot.

personally, i think if you're going to ban MK, then maybe you should ban snake too. he's probably just as amazing. AOB is right. you guys are doing this for yourselves, not for the good of the community. i like brawl, but if you REALLY are going to ban a character, then this just shows how bad a game it is. banning a character won't fix a bad game.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Might as well ban everything else that's considered cheap/stupid stuff too such as all chaingrabs, infinites, camping, and wavedashing.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Razor, I think you misunderstood me. I believe it's entirely up to TOs whether they want to ban MK, and anyone who disagrees with a TO's decision is free to not attend.

I also encourage people who disagree with TOs who ban MK to complain about it in this thread. Nothing wrong with a good, healthy discussion.

Whether MK "should" be banned, I'm not saying.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
Razor, I think you misunderstood me. I believe it's entirely up to TOs whether they want to ban MK, and anyone who disagrees with a TO's decision is free to not attend.

I also encourage people who disagree with TOs who ban MK to complain about it in this thread. Nothing wrong with a good, healthy discussion.

Whether MK "should" be banned, I'm not saying.

point taken. still, i question OS's motives. banning MK is going too far.

Bil

Smash Ace
Might as well ban everything else that's considered cheap/stupid stuff too such as all chaingrabs, infinites, camping, and wavedashing.
^^^
Possibly the worst post in this thread yet.

Anyways, I believe Midwest TOs should wait another 2-3 months, then review tourney results and other metabrokeness, then decide on banning or not.

nightelf56

Smash Cadet
Banning is Meta is BS.

I really don't think Meta is so bad that no one can take him down. Do I have to remind you guys, Skill>Tiers?

Now, I don't know much about all this pro stuff, but really? Forcing someone not to be their main is stupid. What if the person mains MK because of how much he likes him? Anybody can beat MK.

Also, It's really too early too be banning.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I want to remind everyone that the midwest is not good at this game. The ONLY person who put up a fight against DSF in tournament at our own circuit event (and the biggest event the midwest ever had) was Anther and even he lost. DSF got 5th at Hobo WITH metaknight. I mean, put it in perspective... The people who are winning in every other region are using Metaknight, and that is an undeniable fact. Anther was talking to me and saying that Metas in other regions are playing completely different from metas in our region. If we had M2K and Azen come here and just **** us all with Meta, I'm sure you'd all understand, since you all haven't seen his potential. The midwest is having a lot of trouble "understanding" the tiers because we have an oddball bunch of people: The best Pika, the best G+W, the best R.O.B., and the best ICs in the country. Our best players don't play top tier characters, so we don't have to worry about it. Just because we don't play them, doesn't mean they're not a problem.

WE NEED TO GET BETTER AS A REGION.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I think with MK out of the way, G&W will take the spot as best in the game. I think G&W is better than Snake, and has far fewer bad matchups. D3 may possibly overtake Snake, too, but not for awhile IMO.

Also, MK isn't soft banned here at all. Most people 'round these parts just don't like playing with him. And you of all people should know that Anther should've beat DSF.

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
I think with MK out of the way, G&W will take the spot as best in the game. I think G&W is better than Snake, and has far fewer bad matchups. D3 may possibly overtake Snake, too, but not for awhile IMO.
A half decent Diddy can beat a good G&W any day... ;)

So i hope ur theory comes true! I love playin G&W :laugh:

-BC-

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I was against his banning, but after seeing Hobo and several local tourneys be nothing but MK dittos for the last three rounds, I'm starting to agree. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the Midwest.
You've been to one tournament around here dude, you really don't have room to talk like that.

Vayseth

Smash Master

Also, MK isn't soft banned here at all. Most people 'round these parts just don't like playing with him. And you of all people should know that Anther should've beat DSF.
I seriously doubt that. I would say either Dedede or ICs. G+W isn't hard to beat and many characters can beat him. His smash attacks are actually pretty hard to land. They only seem OP when people run into them like idiots.

I don't think a discussion about who would theoretically take over his spot is even important. I think the game is more balanced with MK out of the way, and that's what's important.

Soft banned? Do you even know what that means? lol. Basically, most people in the midwest feel that using metaknight is cheap and most of us simply don't use him because of it. That's the definition of soft ban.

e__

Smash Ace
^^^
Possibly the worst post in this thread yet.
Quivo used this one quality in his post...what's it...sarcasm? Yeah, he used SARCASM to explain his point. One of the obvious clues to that was his mentioning of wavedashing, something extremely common and accepted.

I think that without Meta Marth could take that spot. He has hardly any bad match ups, and all of them being close to even. The only reason Marth wasn't higher IMO is because he doesn't have the tournament results others do (unless some of the Midwest BRoomers want to correct me in this thought?)

Razor

Smash Journeyman
I think he's a ridiculous and I believe people are quitting because metaknight is in the game. If you want a list of people, I will list them, but the point is, people are QUITTING THIS GAME BECAUSE OF METAKNIGHT.

Also, I believe with Metaknight out of the way ICs will likely dominate the scene. However, it's not like they're impossible to beat. MK isn't impossible to beat either. However, I WILL NOT have brawl turn into Tekken 4. Even if Jin was theoretically beatable, not a single person used someone else at that year's EVO finals. IT SUCKED. I think brawl can grow from here and I hope people will learn how much MK has held back the metagame.

another tekken player, eh? steve was very broken as well. i most definitely understand the analogy, but the tekken community is waaaaay different from the smash community. not even close.

also, ppl might be quitting brawl bc there are many more inherent problems to the game than just MK. the accumulation of issues, intended or otherwise, makes brawl an inconsistent tourny game.

and finally, imagine how newbs will react to this. seriously, think about it. a casual gamers will think this is stupid. they might not understand that Mk is broken, but this will ward off people. this favors the elite and goes against true competition.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master

MK is basically soft banned in the MW.

And yes, Anther should've beat DSF.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Also, I believe with Metaknight out of the way ICs will likely dominate the scene. However, it's not like they're impossible to beat.
i used to think this too, because mk is, iirc, ic's worst matchup and get so easily separated and spaced by mk. mk is relatively safe from ic's poor grab range. and mk saturation is probably the reason why ic's aren't being used much, even though in theory you win the game with 3 grabs. but gw can do the same thing mk does. outspace, separate, kill, be safe while doing it. and since gw is looking like the #1 without mk...i don't think ic's usage would grow THAT much. but there will be less gws than there are mks currently, so they'd still get a little more usage.

imo.

I also want to remind everyone that the midwest is not good at this game. The ONLY person who put up a fight against DSF in tournament at our own circuit event (and the biggest event the midwest ever had) was Anther and even he lost. DSF got 5th at Hobo WITH metaknight. I mean, put it in perspective... The people who are winning in every other region are using Metaknight, and that is an undeniable fact. Anther was talking to me and saying that Metas in other regions are playing completely different from metas in our region. If we had M2K and Azen come here and just **** us all with Meta, I'm sure you'd all understand, since you all haven't seen his potential. The midwest is having a lot of trouble "understanding" the tiers because we have an oddball bunch of people: The best Pika, the best G+W, the best R.O.B., and the best ICs in the country. Our best players don't play top tier characters, so we don't have to worry about it. Just because we don't play them, doesn't mean they're not a problem.
Kansas went to hobo11, our Pit player placed ninth and took Dojo's Meta Knight down to 100%+ last stock both matches. We also had one player place 17th and two place 25th. Dojo's MK isn't as amazing as M2K's or Azen's, but it's still pretty damn awesome.

So...Kansas isn't complete trash at this game, at least. :bee: and i'd assume that the rest of the midwest is at least on our level.

idk, i just had to brag for Kansas when i saw this. :laugh:

But, why ban something that the midwest doesn't use, for the most part? MK isn't a huge problem here, because his metagame has grown a lot slower than on either coast. I just see this as a statement ban to get the ball rolling in other regions. Personally I don't mind it, but I don't see it as necessary here. And I don't know if either coast would look at this and say "hey, that entire region did it, maybe we should do it too."

Vayseth

Smash Master
Dark_kakashi said:
but isn't the purpose of this game to beat the Japanese?! and they haven't banned MK. >_>
He's got a point. If the Japanese come to the US, NO MERCY. It's the same as when they come over here for GG and use Eddie.

dingding

Smash Ace
lol this is funny post.. cause there are to many chars that counter mk, u guys just don't study them

Depster

Smash Champion
We also have some of the best yoshi's =p lol that's beside the point...

Maybe if MK was just banned for like 3 or 4 months to let other meta games develop it would just help the entire smash scene, but for no reason should he be banned indefinitely. What will yoshi be good for?v_v I haven't had the chance to hit any online tourneys yet, but I've seen standings and metas don't always win... I really don't see the need to get rid of something never used because it's too good.

And sides, Midwest is HUGE. I don't think a big regional rule like this should apply for an area as massive as the MW =p

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
This is ****ing weak sauce

Seriously

You guys have just proven the general fighting game community right about the smash community being whiny babies who ban stuff at the drop of a hat. Congratulations

Vayseth

Smash Master
We also have some of the best yoshi's =p lol that's beside the point...

Maybe if MK was just banned for like 3 or 4 months to let other meta games develop it would just help the entire smash scene, but for no reason should he be banned indefinitely. What will yoshi be good for?v_v I haven't had the chance to hit any online tourneys yet, but I've seen standings and metas don't always win... I really don't see the need to get rid of something never used because it's too good.

And sides, Midwest is HUGE. I don't think a big regional rule like this should apply for an area as massive as the MW =p
metas loose online for one reason: Their moves ACTUALLY have lag. Wow, go figure =P

On a serious note, I like your idea of cutting meta out of the smash scene and seeing how things go without him being top for a couple months or so. This would only work if every region worked together to do it tho.

RoboticSithDrone

Smash Apprentice
Though I appreciate the vitriol over AIM from Vay and the sarcasm from Overswarm, I'm one MW TO who is not banning Metaknight. There's just no point in banning him somewhere where he just about never finishes top 3.

Vayseth

Smash Master
This is ****ing weak sauce

Seriously

You guys have just proven the general fighting game community right about the smash community being whiny babies who ban stuff at the drop of a hat. Congratulations
I had this thought as well. Only until I found out the SC community is in a heated battle about banning a certain character in SC4. It's not smash exclusive.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Wow.

I don't agree with the ban at all. Banning MK is just stupid IMO. I think it is far too early to make any sort of decision. A MK has yet to win a big MW tourney to my knowledge. So why ban him.

It just makes no sense to me. Down the road, maybe he'll be banned. The only way I can see him being banned is if it requires an MK ditto to beat him, which is not true at all. As of right now though, I don't see the point.

While we are at it, why don't we just ban IC infinites, grab releases, and infinite grabs with D3. I hate to say it, but if MW bans MK, I can't leave soon enough. I don't want to be part of a scene that bans a character solely on resentment.

I agree with Kel and think that he shouldn't be banned. Just my two cents. While we all play with no MKs, other regions with MKs are just going to stomp us. I know he won't be banned OOR when we go to EC and WC tourneys, so why stop using him. Scrub mentality if you ask me.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I hope TOs who ban MK are doing it because they believe it's in the community's best interest, not because of Overshirt's Crusade Against Metaknight (OCAM).
Little of column A, little of column B.

I started by keeping silent about my thoughts on the issue until I brought it up to the SBR... but once someone chose a direction they didn't change their mind and we never got a solid thing to look for. Whatever I was supposed to find was always the next thing in line... then the Kishes said we should leave it up to the TOs.

So now I talk to them. :D

lol this is funny post.. cause there are to many chars that counter mk, u guys just don't study them
I watched 6 hours of D3 matches to learn ROB vs. D3 and wrecked the Dedede that gave me trouble the tournament prior.

That's light compared to how much time I spent researching Metaknight. I have literally played every character in this game and searched through every board attempting to find SOMETHING that works against MK, and there is nothing.

lol you realize metaknight does this right?
win, eighteenspikes. win.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Personally, I don't like the idea of banning metaknight. I think that banning him will cause a lot of problems unless EVERY REGION bans him. Blood_Hawk is right. If we have ANY chance of proving ourselves competitively, we should probably keep him on.

However, I would also like to see what happens if we do start banning him and the other regions catch on. This will all be for nothing unless the other regions catch on.

So, while I will try banning meta, for at least a month, if the situation does not go strongly one way or the other, I will unban him.

OS, you have 1 month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom