• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii's not to be used in Online play

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
You can only use them in offline or with friends, this was confirmed during the roundtable

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
If it's true (not saying you're lying, I just like to hear things like that myself these days), it's really great news.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it wasn't for perverts, he would have been allowed without a problem

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Shame I wouldn't be able to use Goku in Smash Online lol

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Yea, the reason is mostly because of the immature people who will make Hitler Mii's and inappropriate things like that
That, and that Mii's can choose 4/12 special moves, so opponents never know what moves they are up against.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is basically just the information I wanted, now I can proceed to ignore them, which is what I wanted.

SmashingGal

Smash Rookie
Is that limited to customized characters or the Mii Fighters as a whole? Because I think that they could be used without problems if during the online battles you can only use default Miis (similar to the characters present in Wii Sports) and the default movesets. After all, you already can't use custom special moves for the regular characters, so I think that the same rule could be applied for the Mii Fighters as well.

Sure, they would lose their main features and gimmicks, a part maybe the editing of the weapons and the clothes, but at least if one wants to play as a Mii he/she could do that.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
You can only use them in offline or with friends, this was confirmed during the roundtable
I need to hear the exact quote. I don't know where to look for that though.

Hopefully it's only customized Mii Fighters.
I find it's silly that people say the Miis shouldn't be allowed in Online mode because they hate them. If it's just customized moves+faces that are not allowed online, no problems anywhere.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Mario Kart doesn't have a problem with Mii faces & it's way more family friendly than SSB.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Yet I see dickfaced mii's out of streetpass no problem.

This may just be custom movesets in general. Who knows?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Why is Hitler immature?

Hitler, Jesus and Santa Claus are the three most instantly recognizable people world wide.

I can just imagine Hitler Mii's intro trailer.

Der Feuer est furious!

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
As long as I can use Mii's online in some ways (with friends) I think it's ok.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Well then I ONLY want to play online then. I don't want Mii's on the same screen as me. Disgusting.
When playing on the Wii U or 3DS, you have to look at a Mii every time you start up the system, but fair enough. I consider the Miis to be bland.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
When playing on the Wii U or 3DS, you have to look at a Mii every time you start up the system, but fair enough. I consider the Miis to be bland.
Yea, I think they have no personality and are overall very boring characters, will try them nevertheless though but I HIGHLY doubt they will be as good as other smash characters

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Is that limited to customized characters or the Mii Fighters as a whole? Because I think that they could be used without problems if during the online battles you can only use default Miis (similar to the characters present in Wii Sports) and the default movesets. After all, you already can't use custom special moves for the regular characters, so I think that the same rule could be applied for the Mii Fighters as well.

Sure, they would lose their main features and gimmicks, a part maybe the editing of the weapons and the clothes, but at least if one wants to play as a Mii he/she could do that.
I'm thinking the same thing. I perfectly understand banning custom Miis from random online matches due to immature people, by why not just have them with automatic default faces/movesets while with strangers online? Seem like a waste to have a character that can't use a mode that every other character can if you ask me.

Xigger

Smash Lord
That, and that Mii's can choose 4/12 special moves, so opponents never know what moves they are up against.
I seriously don't think that's the reason
I actually do think that is the reason.

As pointed out, Miis are usable online in many other games, so perversion and Hitler probably didn't ban Miis in this game and none others.
Customization is not allowed online: The attractive factor about Miis IS customization. Not knowing what moves to expect from an opponent can be quite an unfun battle.
Yet if you force a standard 4 moves as default when playing online, that will push players to play using only those special attacks, and discourage customization. The best move is to not customize at all.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So Offline and Online with Friends but you can't use them in Random Online?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This is basically just the information I wanted, now I can proceed to ignore them, which is what I wanted.
This times 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I just don't understand why Mii Fighter customization isn't allowed online unless it's unbalanced. Even in a competitive match, there's only 4 different specials. Once you use your specials even once, your opponent should know what to do to avoid being hit with it.

Only exception would be is if there's some 0%/some rather low % to KO combos they have. Which is one of the most annoying thing when it comes to watching "competitive" Melee or Brawl (especially the infinite grabs). Even if that is the case, at least in tournaments you can force Mii Fighter players to tell each other what moves you are using if the element of surprise is too strong. *shrug*

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
The reason they can't be used online is because no custom movesets can be used online, and they don't have a default. I'm guessing it's most likely for technical reasons (because anyone playing For Fun mode would be just as surprised at their opponent pulling an expected move as they would an explosive crate spawning in front of them at kill percentage) rather than intentional, logical, disclusion.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I'm thinking the same thing. I perfectly understand banning custom Miis from random online matches due to immature people, by why not just have them with automatic default faces/movesets while with strangers online? Seem like a waste to have a character that can't use a mode that every other character can if you ask me.
I agree 100% Miis should be 3 characters with default faces and movesets that you can customize.

Having them in this purely customizable way is a total waste.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
This makes the most sense. Fighting your friends as Miis has a more comical impact than if you were to fight random strangers. Also, for those folk who want to play online "For Glory," they may feel as if customizable Miis don't fit with their competitive style.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The reason they can't be used online is because no custom movesets can be used online, and they don't have a default. I'm guessing it's most likely for technical reasons (because anyone playing For Fun mode would be just as surprised at their opponent pulling an expected move as they would an explosive crate spawning in front of them at kill percentage) rather than intentional, logical, disclusion.
Just nitpicking at a small detail: there is, of course, a default moveset.

If you play as the Mii Fighter, you may not have customized his moveset. Furthermore, it's been shown that custom moves are unlocked throughout the game, meaning there may only be one set of special moves.
Even if Mii Fighter forces you to choose from a list of moves before playing, there's usually a default move, just like a default character name can be Ness (Earthbound) or Robin (Fire Emblem).
It's possible that the default can be a null choice, forcing you to make a selection, but that's a rather unattractive way to force a choice.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Just nitpicking at a small detail: there is, of course, a default moveset.

If you play as the Mii Fighter, you may not have customized his moveset. Furthermore, it's been shown that custom moves are unlocked throughout the game, meaning there may only be one set of special moves.
Even if Mii Fighter forces you to choose from a list of moves before playing, there's usually a default move, just like a default character name can be Ness (Earthbound) or Robin (Fire Emblem).
It's possible that the default can be a null choice, forcing you to make a selection, but that's a rather unattractive way to force a choice.
The way I'm picturing it happens is that you go to a special menu to 'create' a Mii fighter before using one, and choosing special moves is required. I'm also betting that Mii's custom moves will be unlocked from the start (don't really have logic to this other than that players will be impatient to play with this feature and Miis are the most logical choice for having 'starter' custom moves), so default wouldn't matter. All guesses on my part, but I don't see any glaring things that ruin the logic.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Even if the reasoning is stupid and didn't stop Mii's from appearing in other online games, I'm VERY satisfied.

At least now 60% of the people I fight online won't be Mii's, meaning I can ignore them. Mii's feel TERRIBLY out of place in Smash, and I would hate for the game to suddenly be all about them. But we all know there's plenty of people that think "I'M the best character" in pretty much any game, even Smash.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The way I'm picturing it happens is that you go to a special menu to 'create' a Mii fighter before using one, and choosing special moves is required. I'm also betting that Mii's custom moves will be unlocked from the start (don't really have logic to this other than that players will be impatient to play with this feature and Miis are the most logical choice for having 'starter' custom moves), so default wouldn't matter. All guesses on my part, but I don't see any glaring things that ruin the logic.
I don't see Sakurai, who's logic is to have as many players be able to enjoy the game, would force players to customize a Mii before fighting as one. It's the same logic as the default Miis that can be used and never deleted.

Top Bottom