• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mission Briefing - The Samus Social

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Just going by the things I managed to mash out in Turbo Mode, I think the power beam is definitely preferable for low percent combos.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
I figured this was the right place to post this. How many Samus players are practicing or using the Super Wavedash and the Double variant thereof? I found myself using it a lot more with Ice Missiles because they travel so damn far.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I've been practicing it for SWD edgeguards such as SWD/DSWD off the edge and then N-Air/B-Air. I've been trying to get a SWD D-Air edgeguard but thats harder haha

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'm actually working more with fundamentals of the character before I get into SWD practice. It's a great tool but I don't feel it's a necessary core of her game.

Sarix

Smash Ace
A lot of my focus currently is finding out EVERYTHING fire and ice mode are capable of individually. Her offensive pressure and combo game are definitely better, a lot of her combos just require more specific execution and timing at different points imo. Currently I'm testing Boost Ball as combo filler since Samus can act so quickly out of it and can easily use it out of Ftilt.

She's still such a fresh character so there's a lot of trial and error to go through.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think boost definitely has a lot of potential. I haven't been incorporating it into my samus play very often yet, but it seems very useful in a lot of situations like on shields or as a combo extender on the ground.

as for swd/dswd, they are fun tools, but not core fundamentals. I agree that it's good for following up ice missiles every once in awhile, but it's risky if your opponent reflects or powershields it. a misplaced swd can allow your opponent to shift the momentum back in their favor.
it's a high risk/high reward type of deal.

however, swding in with your shield up can often protect you. you can land a shield grab or a wd OoS punish. still risky though.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Is there anybody else that has an issue with doing a reverse tilt with samus? Especially after the booster. Ifigured out that if the person you are fighting is facing in the opposite direction and you boost through them then it will turn them around so I tried booster into reverse up tilt but it just wont turn around. Actually any aytack I tried with her after the boost doesnt turn around. I can get it off everynow and then but if I want to turn that into a combo then I need it to work consistantly

Fortress

Smash Master
I think the crawlattack is unnecessary, and just creates problems :/
Not really. It's a fast way to approach, lets you get behind a crouch-cancelling opponent, and there are plenty of mixups that you can do out of a crawl that aren't the crawl attack. Try wavedashing out of a crawl sometime. There's no reason that Samus' crawling attack can't be there. I don't see what problems it's causing.

MVP

Smash Ace
crawl is pretty sweet, it throws off opponents approaches and works as a great approach option itself

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I think it interferes with our down angled Ftilt.There's no problem with the crawl itself. It's a great addition.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I think it interferes with our down angled Ftilt.There's no problem with the crawl itself. It's a great addition.
When crawling forward, it is a bit finicky between using the boost ball and the down tilt. When I crawl in one direction and then begin to crawl backwards, Samus does her down tilt and I can't use boost, not to mention it seems like Samus doesn't face the other way when you move backwards, it's as if Samus is moon-walking as a ball.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've been using a lot of boost ball lately (gotta stick to my MP:H roots :p )
It's actually a pretty useful tool.
crawl back -> dtilt is also really good because it has way less lag than wd (i.e. no lag)

boost ball is so cool though, you have like no end lag and it combos into utilt really well.

I havent had a problem landing down angled ftilts either though… never noticed any interference.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I can land an angle tilt most of the time but every now and then she ducks and does down tilt. And as I said before its really hard out of the boost ball to tilt behind you. Going under and behind your opponent opens so many opportunities, because most people are gonna think they can punish you after. Little do they know you are currently preparing a boot for the back of their head. Use it against somebody and see how man times they attack the wrong way.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yes boost ball through shields to reverse ftilt or utilt is OP.
you can also pivot grab out of it.

also I found out dc utilt is pretty dope in P:M.

GeZ

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about shooting super missiles at the opponent when they're trying to edgeguard? I've used it a few times just to give me time to grapple without harassment. Also I'm super new to Samus as I never invested any serious time into her in Melee, so I have really no idea what I'm doing. I get that she has a strong zoning game, but do I have any goals besides that? I've been getting that SH Super Missile and WaveDashes are a good approach, but her combo timing seems weird to me, like it just works sometimes. Her short hop being awkwardly high is really all that makes me feel this way but it's still a bit uncomfortable. Can any long time Samus players confirm that her weirdly tall SH gets more comfortable as time goes on? Or is it the elephant in the room move wise?

Fortress

Smash Master
I've stabilized myself with a bomb way off the stage to give me time to throw out a missile, and I've managed some stuff like edgehop into missile or edgehop into neutral B for a quirky "**** off" type of recovery.

Don't rely on Samus' shorthop for your combo game. She's got one of the worst SHFFL games of the cast, and your combo game should ideally be ground-to-air or incorporate platform play in a way that you can work around Samus' shorthop drawback. She's got an incredible wavedash and a solid waveland, so using those for your approaches should be more of a goal than SHFFL game is. Her shorthop does get more comfortable as you play, but it gets more comfortable in the sense that you know how to use the stage around you to avoid having to bust it out. There are applications for her shorthop, like an empty shorthop into a waveland, but other than that you'll be playing a heavy ground-to-air game when it comes to comboing.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I'm thinking of possibly making a Samus hitbox thread soon. I'll most likely get some sort of start on it today or tomorrow but not finish everything for a bit. Projectiles/zair and any moves that have Frame Speed Modifications applied will most likely not be able to be done in Brawlbox as it wouldn't be accurate. I'll probably have to do in-game shots of those moves.

Would you guys prefer me to post all images/data in one post or put each move/info in their own collapse tags?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah I have no trouble with down angled ftilts
you won't boostball if you don't initiate the crawl animation, so I have no idea how you are doing that by accident.
you can still walk to a down angled ftilt as well...

just get the hang of your inputs down lol

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I still haven't got the game. I'm sorry, I suppose I just need to practice it :p

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys find yourselves using bombs outside of Recovery? I find them fun and they look like they have some quirky setup potential up close, but as a noob I don't know if they hold any real onstage value.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I like to drop them on people who try to recover on stages like Lylat Cruise, Skyworld, and the Pokémon Stadiums. Sometimes, it makes them misfire and hit the lip of the stage and fall to their death.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
It would probably make more sense to just instantly zair.
True. But the main reason why I used footstooling is so I could keep the opponent in stun a bit longer. And at higher percentages, it could force a missed tech without the zair.
However you're right about bomb footstooling to zair. It's only necessary to just zair after the bomb instead of footstooling.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Could you just fastfall into a grab or wavelanding grab after the footstool?
No, using footstooling for samus is like a jump. Even her short hop footstool is sorta high. So you couldn't do too much out of the footstool when using a bomb.

I do feel like you can gimp with it though. Just don't know how would one set up for it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Footstooling grounded opponents is generally useless with every character because you can shield/move almost instantly afterwards.

Top Bottom