• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mission Briefing - The Samus Social

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I saw you at Apex and your samus looked pretty good. It was fun doing samus dittos with youl
Were you the one I was playing friendlies with in the friendlies room? If not you were literally the only other Samus I played against at apex. Regardless I samus ditto'd both and they were fun matches. Gotta put our girl on the map

Kati

Smash Lord
On an entirely unrelated note, would it be possible to get some animation clean-up for the ice beam stance in the next update? The up-smash looks kind of janky if you pay attention to her left arm.
This. In particular, her hand is a little... huh...

She also looks like she goes into slow motion once the attack is finished. I understand that high endlag is supposed to balance it, but ^smash along with Snake's current uptilt both look bizarre.

Litt

Samus
Lol I got to play Esam's samus r2 of PM singles, the first game was close, but then game 2 he just dominated me, it was amazing how well he plays samus in PM, and he hardly used the zair, but started using it mid match 2 after I kept spaming it at him to get rid of the missles and keep him away. Also too bad I didnt get to play you guys, but my main focus for Apex was playing higher level foxs' and marths' in melee.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
As far as PM Samuses, I only saw KLit and ESAM's pool. Didn't both of you make it out? Good stuff.

Litt

Samus
Nah I barely lost to frootloop in losers semis, such a tight match, just need more MU exp and I woulda won, I havent played any actual players in the game until apex so I was happy with how far I made it.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

I paused the game while I ran to get something to drink and this is what it looked like when I came back. Looks like something you'd see in a Sakurai post.

Kati

Smash Lord
So assuming that I am right in thinking that PM Samus has a shorter standing grab reach, is there any point in doing one if the player has a choice between it and a running version? Is it safe to say that JC grabbing is pointless with Samus?

Frame Data:

Credits to SuperDoodleMan for most of the frame data.

grab

Total: 94
Grab: 18-20, 22-37
-------------------------------------
Running grab

Total: 74
Grab: 18-27, 30-33

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I can't confirm this, as it's just my opinion, but it feels like her running grab is slower than her standing grab.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Standing grab grabs earlier (frame 14) but the animation overall is longer (72 frames total). Dash grab grabs later (frame 17) but has farther reach IIRC and the animation is faster overall (65 frames total).

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I always feel as if her standing grab is long enough to grab someone if, let's say, both you and the opponent were on the same spot, with the opponent lying down. Once your opponent rolls left/right, standing grab them as a tech chase. Never works...

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I just like to pretend that Samus doesn't have a tether grab and exclusively use grab in people's faces like every other character. If my opponent has all those frames to see that grapple limp towards them at snail-like speeds, it'll never result in anything good. It feels REALLY BAD when Link's clawshot shoots faster than an adhesive laser beam. Mechanical propulsion moving faster than light. ♪ Only in vidya gamez ♪

I feel like I say this in every Samus thread but, air grapple comes out 2x times faster and is twice as long than grounded grapple. It bothers me to no end.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

I paused the game while I ran to get something to drink and this is what it looked like when I came back. Looks like something you'd see in a Sakurai post.
Now i want a Metroid Prime 2/3 Varia Suit Alt. Costume so badly, to begin with, she should have to look like this in brawl!!

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I've been a Mario main for freaking ever, and haven't had a serious secondary since I've been focusing on my main, but I've decided I want to pick up Samus as a serious secondary. Could someone run down for me what I want to be doing with her and what things are intrinsic to her gameplay? I'd really appreciate a spelling out of the basics, as so far all I grasp is, some people enjoy playing her offensively in P:M but missile spam is always best, Zair helps fight other people's zoning, and you can either embrace the moon gravity or reject it angrily.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Some tech-oriented things you'd want to know:
-Missile cancelling (grounded missiles mind you, you don't want kirby or jiggs crouching below em)
-Double missile cancelling (Different from melee timing. Homing on top platform and super on the ground works well and is easier than double super missile)
-Wavedash, Nair, and B-up out of shield (Essential for samus, since you don't always have the option to shield grab people like fox or bowser)
-Super Wavedash (You have half a frame more than melee timing)

Other things:
-Zair to cancel ANY AND ALL projectiles
-Down throw to ice fair is a good killing setup on most of the cast
-Bomb to nair still works
-Bomb to dair still works
-Don't use tether to recover above the stage, you risk the chance of it "missing" and you'll die.

I can keep on going, but I think the beauty of samus lies within how each player plays her differently. I think what I just listed should get the ball rolling for you.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
It would be awesome to have Samus with her Zero Mission badass running animation, her current one -wich is inspired by Smash 64 iirc- looks great, but kind of generic for Samus, who always had running animations inspired by her 2D games like Super Metroid, plus ZSS has her Zero Mission running so it would give more consistency.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ive discovered a thing
info on how to do it is in the description

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Samus fans, players and lovers I just wanted to introduce myself to you because I love Samus too of course. For awhile back in the day I was deemed the best wifi Samus main and considered to be the best in the mid west offline for a bit in brawl. But before long I stopped playing brawl because well it was brawl..lol. But what a lot of people didn't know is that I was a pretty good melee Samus player but was unknown cuz of the lack of tournament experience. I am Shugo's brother for any of you that know of him..lol. I created that little monster. I have always been playing against that for quite awhile... Anywho I've been transferring my skill from those games to perfect PM Samus and I think i'm finally ready to tear some stuff up. My first pm tourney will be next weekend and I'm pumped! Gonna rep Samus the best I can. I think PM Samus is the best she has ever been and I intend on showing people what I mean. Just want to know if I have this boards support :). Also I just wish I didn't live in north east ohio..smash scene is non existent up here; makes it a little harder for me and Shugo to get to things.

Last edited:

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
wait what i'm a little confused you think people are gonna think a good PM Samus is cheap? lol

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Just a little "discovery":
You all know Samus is very vulnerable in the air. Her best weapon to avoid getting punished there is nair. Now the CSRV (Charge Shot B-Reverse Charge Cancel, I just called it CSRV because we definitely need an abbreviation for that horrible name) turns her around, definitely useful because the nair has far more range on the side Samus is facing. Considering how floaty Samus is, there is also enough time for that

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I caught Esam's first two matches with PM Samus last night. I didn't see the rest of the tournament (sleep johns) so I'll check out the rest when VGBC uploads the footage. But man that was some amazing stuff

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Man, am I the only one who chuckled whenever D1 and TKO implied that ESAM practices 100% of the time with Florida in the Xanadu videos?

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Infinity & Beyond 7!
www.twitch.tv/tourneyLocator

Tune in this Thursday at 7pm to see the very best PM Texas has to offer! (Sethlon, Denti, Oracle, McBad, AeroLink, Infinity, Dakpo, and more!) I'm finally back in town from college and ready to take on the DFW scene! I'll try my very best to get on stream to show you guys how bad I am. ;p

Narpas_sword

So, does anyone else here have the misfortune of fighting a decent zelda?

cant figure out what to do, sometimes i can clutch the win, but usually not.

First Problem is the massive reflect blue Diamond which negates missile spam.

Single missles reflected are ok, if i land cancel i can morph under it and carry on, though it doesnt put me in a positive situation.
Zair sometimes works, but i risk my own missile hitting me if i do it too early or too late (due to intangability of nayru)

then edgeguarding is a pain. often zelda is living longer than i am =/

and im struggling to get back on the stage once im off it.

Can get to the edge easy enough, but nayrus, and fsmash are pretty safe on most options getting up.

Any advise?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
With Love being as good as it is, you'll want to use missiles more to bait Love than to really control space.

I feel like if you stay grounded, you should be able to stay mobile enough to stay out of Zelda's range while also keeping in her face. Work your footsie and poke games, and be very mindful of her spacing options. IIRC she has a pretty long jumpsquat, so learn what it looks like and keep an eye out for it so can scout her lightining kicks.

For getting back onstage, remember the fake ledgehop so you can mix up your ledge grab timings and bait some bad edge pokes. You also have AD zair to get through spaced pokes. Obviously, you don't have a free counter to everything they'll be doing from the ledge, but these might give you some ideas.

Nayru's Love is really stupid, though.

Top Bottom