• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Columbus 2010 Results - Full Singles & Doubles Results NOW UP!

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
You know, I've noticed it's almost always people who have never done anything notable in a tournament who say things like that.
Yeah, probably shouldn't say this type of thing if you don't actually know anything about the person you're referencing.

they've possibly never fought san either, nor bothered to watch him play.

I watched alot of his matches, its like poetry the way he spaces everything he does. <3333 i love the guy and his ike
I played San back in January, and was one of the first people in NYC/NJ to start hyping him. Very skilled and very thoughtful playstyle. Bad character.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
If Ike is placing that high, people aren't playing gay enough or have no idea what they're doing. I'm not saying San isn't amazing, since he is, but Ike is a horrendously bad piece of garbage.

Congrats to those that pulled off the upsets, won with bad characters, etc.

I'm glad Atomsk didn't fail too hard.
I think what was happening was, in their minds, everyone was like "it's just ike" and they didn't take it as seriously, and San destroyed them. A camping Olimar shouldn't lose to Ike, I can't see how its possible, but Rich Brown lost to him. Or San could just be that good. Heh.

swordgard

Smash Hero
they've possibly never fought san either, nor bothered to watch him play.

I watched alot of his matches, its like poetry the way he spaces everything he does. <3333 i love the guy and his ike
Watching people play when your at anything but high level makes it so you won't see most of the mistakes that lead to those "beautiful kills". If the other guy doesn't does any mistakes, Ike will not be able to punish with these moves.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't understand this MU inexperience argument. We are talking about San beating top 50 players in the country. MU inexperience isn't an excuse, it is a BS argument to try and justify why old-theories should still be true despite overwhelming evidence that they are not.

Give the man credit for crushing players who are using characters that supposedly crush Ike (or are broken...). Saying "but they didn't know the MU" or "they don't know fighting game mechanics" is a terrible argument (especially when its players who, again, are in the top 50 in the country and likely know more about these mechanics then 99% of the people who play the game - smash mechanics =/= SF mechanics). It takes away from what really happened for some hypothetical idea that those players will win in the future with "more experience" (Ally lost a game to San AGAIN, btw).

More or less accept that San has proved the doubters wrong. Until someone comes back and crushes San's Ike with the weight of "fighting game mechanic knowledge ++" then really all that is happening is lots of johning.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I don't understand this MU inexperience argument. We are talking about San beating top 50 players in the country. MU inexperience isn't an excuse, it is a BS argument to try and justify why old-theories should still be true despite overwhelming evidence that they are not.

Give the man credit for crushing players who are using characters that supposedly crush Ike (or are broken...). Saying "but they didn't know the MU" or "they don't know fighting game mechanics" is a terrible argument (especially when its players who, again, are in the top 50 in the country and likely know more about these mechanics then 99% of the people who play the game - smash mechanics =/= SF mechanics). It takes away from what really happened for some hypothetical idea that those players will win in the future with "more experience" (Ally lost a game to San AGAIN, btw).

More or less accept that San has proved the doubters wrong. Until someone comes back and crushes San's Ike with the weight of "fighting game mechanic knowledge ++" then really all that is happening is lots of johning.
I'd simply say that San gets these wins because he has an excellent grasp of the game's mechanics and principles. Better than that of the players that he beats.

Albert.

Smash Master
San makes some INCREDIBLE reads in these matches of his.

People also seem to forget that Ike's slow moves CAN be really useful for out-hitbox-lasting Airdodges and spot dodges.

Ally has PLENTY of Ike experience, he's a top 5 player in the world how could he not?

San is really JUST that good.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
Ally has PLENTY of Ike experience, he's a top 5 player in the world how could he not?

San is really JUST that good.
Bad argument. Because you're top 5 in the world doesn't mean you have to know EVERY match-up. I don't think theres a single person who knows EVERY match-up in the game.

Regardless Ally has played san 3 times now, and remember san has lost all those times. So of course being the loser san is going to find out what hes doing wrong and fix it so he gets closer every time.

Noraa

Smash Lord
=/ A lot of people are really trying to take away from Sans wins, the game has been out long enough for people to know general ideas of match ups. Just give props and move on, also shout out to Shakky for doing the **** thing with ness man.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
Um you should read it better next time, I was pointing out a flaw in your argument when you said "He's top 5 in the world he HAS to have ike experience."

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
dam im mad sad about DEHF's performance :(

regardless, good stuff ally, nick riddle, and tearbear.

Albert.

Smash Master
Ally, m2k, Adhd, Tyrant, DEHF,
ETC ETC

All of the top players

HAVE most assuredly played enough matches, and traveled to enough tourneys, and gotten enough experience, That they would know most, if not ALL of the brawl Match-ups.

Games been out 2 years? Ally's been to like 345345 tourneys in that time?

How could they NOT?

Statistically they MUST have.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I fought San in low tier doubles and was going even with him using Ganondorf because, being a fellow top Ike and a player highly against experienced against low tiers, I know how insanely flawed and bad the character is. I smash DI out of his jab, know when he's actually not safe after n-air/f-air/b-air, can hit him out of his up b a lot when edgeguarding him, etc. Ike is effing terrible. Did you know Ganondorf's dash attack can hit Ike out of his up b even if he tries to sweetspot and go low? LOL!

Ness is better, but not by enough.

Shielding beats Ike.

Grabbing beats Ness.

If anything, me saying how bad Ike (and Ness sorta) is, is also me saying how amazing those players are for being able to win with them.

I'd simply say that San gets these wins because he has an excellent grasp of the game's mechanics and principles. Better than that of the players that he beats.
^^^^^

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hardly any of these players ahve any Ike experience. The Ike experience they do have is not san-level Ike experience. Just like it is a totally different experience playing Ally than another Snake, same with San and other Ikes.

That said, San is ****ing good and just straight up outplays his opponents. If they knew the matchup better it'd be closer, but San would still wreck faces.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Ally, m2k, Adhd, Tyrant, DEHF,
ETC ETC

All of the top players

HAVE most assuredly played enough matches, and traveled to enough tourneys, and gotten enough experience, That they would know most, if not ALL of the brawl Match-ups.

Games been out 2 years? Ally's been to like 345345 tourneys in that time?

How could they NOT?

Statistically they MUST have.
I understand what you're trying to say, but that logic is flawed.
How often do you think any of the top players run into a Jigglypuff, Link, or any low tier for that matter, in tourney?
It's much more likely that they know MU's against the high tiers far better than they do low tiers. (except M2K, that dude can literally tell you anything ever about any MU)
I'm sure if you tried to use statistics (which would be very time consuming, considering the number of tournaments they have all entered) I'm extremely confident you'd find that they've played low tiers a very low percentage and MU inexperience can be still be a somewhat reasonable john.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ally is horrible at many match-ups and often only wins because he's amazing at Brawl and just outright better than the other person. High level ZSS still screws with me even though I have a decent amount of experience in it. High level Ike can definitely throw off top players; I've done it before myself by beating players like Anther, Dire, and Snakeee in matches/sets with Ike in tournament. High level Ness isn't something most players have any idea what to do against.

Mew2King is kinda like Ally, but not as inexperienced.

D

Deleted member

Didn't Choice go mostly Wolf?

Wolf is definitely his main, but I'm not sure if he used him the majority of the time or not. I only watched choice in 2 matches, both of which he was using Falco.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
That's a really generic description of San's strategy for Ike, that could be used to describe any character.
The point is that a character capable of executing such a strategy so effectively cannot be considered a bad character. Maybe not a really good character, but certainly not a bad one.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I think it's fair to say everyone tried out Ike on day 1 of the game coming out because he looked awesome, so no one should have any Ike johns ROFL, we knew all his moves on day 1

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
brawl isn't so imbalanced, metaknight definitely is though rofl

regardless of what mk's place where mk's blatantly overpowered capability won't change

dumb community is dumb

ic's are broken though so i'm down for anti-ban lolololol

Top Bottom