• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Mafia - Game Over! Was the Beast slain, or did evil overcome?

#HBC | Amidamaru

Zen|Ranmaru
Is there any way I could get general opinions/critique of my play from people? I would definitely appreciate it.
I think you should try to re-evaluate your reads more. Something a townie should always do. Thing was that once you saw me 'lie', you never stopped thinking I was the scums. You didn't even give me the time of day. I did the best I could do and looked at other leads, finding scum. I saw you being careful as suspicious, but it was just your playstyle.

I think that was it though. If you do that you'll do fine I think. :] Also try to rvs more. Otherwise you did fine.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Is there any way I could get general opinions/critique of my play from people? I would definitely appreciate it.
I didn't read all of the game (and I usually don't bother to read my own games tbh) but for what it's worth I was impressed with your last minute switch onto Laundry.
You were hard town reading him for so long that I was worried you were being close minded. However the fact that you were able to rethink things and change your opinion shows just the opposite witch I think is pretty admirable.

#HBC | Dancer

I think you should try to re-evaluate your reads more. Something a townie should always do. Thing was that once you saw me 'lie', you never stopped thinking I was the scums. You didn't even give me the time of day. I did the best I could do and looked at other leads, finding scum. I saw you being careful as suspicious, but it was just your playstyle.

I think that was it though. If you do that you'll do fine I think. :] Also try to rvs more. Otherwise you did fine.
Oh boy, the contradicting critiques.

#HBC | Amidamaru

Zen|Ranmaru
Nah later game he did fine. It took him a while but yeah, just try to keep that consistent.

No prob bro. /brofist

#HBC | Dancer

To be perfectly honest WK, there still were moments of stubbornness on your part. Xatres lynch was a good example. You fell into the trap of thinking that scum HAD to be one of the manipulators and when it was pointed out to you that it would have been weird from a mafia Xatres standpoint to claim that in his situation you refused to budge from your position even though the point was good.

Last edited:

#HBC | Dancer

I think my main advice would be pretty much in line with Zen's. Listen to others as much as yourself. You have to be willing to admit that you're wrong. After all, you WILL be wrong as town most of the time.

Protean-

Gorf|Washed Laundry
It's really hard for me to congratulate a town when all four members of the mafia team got lynched or replaced out within a day phase and a half. The fact that none of the replacements did well just expounds upon the issue. Solid townplay I guess for not falling for it but Rajam never made a presence, Scary ultimately got himself lynched regardless, and Vult just took the brunt of it. The fact that I managed to delay the inevitable alone was remarkable.

I like the set-up except for two thigns: I have personal problems with Zen's role existing and I don't like the insistence to **** with players via set-ups and punish massclaims in that matter. That almost always results in MLs and just wastes town's time. I have a personal problem with Zen's role because it just massively swings the game for town with a role like that for doing absolutely nothing to deserve it. Generally you see that swingy type of thing go to an Indy who often needs the power to ensure their own survival and when Zenshemu claimed it, all of my indy flags were going up in my head (their weak claim only further proved it). Outside of that, you only see roles like traitors get additional powers when they're the only ones left, etc. It swings the game far too much and can really **** over a well-played scumteam (and I do think the amnesiac cop claim here was a really good one).

You guys played well enough to win but I felt gipped even replacing into this. There was no saving this team and I was just biding time and watching the game shrink around me.

:186:

Protean-

Gorf|Washed Laundry
I'm surprised me and Ran died N1.
I was really mad at that shot. There was no reason for it. They opted to shoot you guys over Zenshemu (who ultimately helped win the game) or even Jerkus, Macman, Gheb, or FF, slots that would either become scary or ****ing impossible to lynch later.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Nice try Laundry. I thought you did well.

Would have been against a Xatres lynch if he claimed correctly.

Sorry guys. Didn't realize I'd get THAT addicted to League nor did I realize how stressful teaching was. Good job regardless town.

Protean-

Gorf|Washed Laundry
allow me to personally apologize for not being able to let my play hold itself up. i felt i had an at least solid plan for making it all the way, but i HATE having to make that the plan. it's disgusting. but within the first few days i knew that that'd be the only way to give my team a chance. i hate that i got force replaced. i hate that things panned out the way they did. i apologize to laundry. but i can't apologize for what happened and how i reacted to my team. i was screwed from the top.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I was really mad at that shot. There was no reason for it. They opted to shoot you guys over Zenshemu (who ultimately helped win the game) or even Jerkus, Macman, Gheb, or FF, slots that would either become scary or ****ing impossible to lynch later.

Brewyu 110% approves of this and what you said in the QT, for me not Ran.

Granted, I did point out with me and Ran that Scary was probs scum, I still agree shooting Indian Ruy is a bad idea.

Protean-

Gorf|Washed Laundry
Good job for getting that far, Alex. I thought you were totally boned from the point you replaced in.
I was certain I was too. Read the back room, I kept yelling at Gorf for randomly just tossing out jabs at his scummates without ever following them up because **** like that is just so easy to trace.

I died when he and kuz were calling each other scummates. surprise guys, they actually were

:substitute:

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
w.r.t bounce back; My point was that there were any number of possibilities for laundry wasn't seen visiting. One could not assume that the mod was familiar with the golden rule and handling NAR. If it's not mentioned in the rules, there's no reason to assume it. And you shouldn't assume the mod fits into your ideal of perfection. Just the same, I've never heard of passives being roleblocked, but we didn't make the assumption that we couldn't be. I find it odd that the green room peeps felt that it should be obvious to Werekill that Laundry was scum because he wasn't seen visiting. It was certainly very very suspicious, but it wasn't absolutely condemning in my opinion.

w.r.t mass claim; I hate the form the game takes once we get to the night action revelation stage. The psychological factor of the game ceases to exist. It's no longer a detective game, but a puzzle game. I absolutely love puzzle games, I just usually play mafia for the psychological detective factor. For me the most enjoyable mafia game would be purely VTs and goons with maybe a PR on each side. If anything I feel that PRs should be stacked in mafia's favor. That way of going about the game, of course, is a personal preference and it's not always how I felt about the game. I used to be incredibly pro mass claim and always called for mass claims on D1. (Though I guess still that was because I wanted to eliminate the PR factor early on). Furthermore, I do not always go into a game with this expectation and mindset. Kat's Bingo mafia, for example, I expect to be more of a puzzle game than it is a psychological one. I also personally really enjoy making puzzle games. Death Note 2016 (dat queue fusion).

That being said, I do believe that when a game is not specifically designed to be a puzzle game, but a psychological game, that treating it as the former is a bad approach. Especially considering that the mod likely made an effort to conceal the setup and restrict town's ability to outguess. I think fundamental mafia is something that town in general needs to work on. We did this well for the first three days, and I think it would have been cool to complete the game without reverting back to the reliance on mechanical order for the answers. To me this just forestalls the results of the game. In Zombies! it merely caused town to talk in circles for three days and mislynch on one of those days; despite already having the scum pretty much figured out by Day 2. That game could have ended so much sooner without the night action inconsistencies being discussed to oblivion.

Furthermore, a person's voice and paper trail become absolutely worthless once the game becomes about mechanical inconsistencies and modmetaing. Despite Xatres playing incredibly town, he was lynched because he had (or thought he had) the same role name as FML and because of the OPness of both of those roles having the same alignment. There is likely nothing he could have said that would have prevented his lynch because the game was in the "mechanical inconsistency" stage. The same way, there was almost nothing that Ashemu or I could do to prevent being lynched merely because "that role makes no sense" or "that role is sketchy as hell". In other words, because it was a unique role that hasn't been presented before. Our entire play was ignored and we were ridiculed for even bringing it up.

Zenshe: How can you even see us as scum based on our play...
Were: lol "hey guys look my play indicates im not scum" lol

To me, the mass claim wasn't a "we won the million dollars might as well go for 2 million" sort of thing. It was more of a "we won the million dollars. Instead of going for 2 million let's change up our strategy and give half our money away"! We nearly mislynched two days in a row after a three day streak. And if laundry claimed VT, we may have very well lost the game.

w.r.t hydra shenanigans; sorry guys. I really thought I made it clear when I said Ashemu and I were going to hydra replace. I sent in the hydra request a week before my V/LA. I really didn't want to replace out after making such a large investment into the game, and I also didn't want to leave you guys hanging for a week. Next time I guess I'll just replace out or ask town which they prefer out of waiting the V/LA or having a replacement.

@ #HBC | Dancer #HBC | Dancer y u b so insecure. This set up was mad swaggin. Nina's role was awesome. And the poison was legit. I do sympathize with scum's view though. I hate facing a ton of PRs as scum without the advantage of being ahead in information or having the potential to. I also really hate Mail Man/Courier because they are so anti-town. I can understand scum's concern with claiming it. I think one thing that may have brought ultimate balance would have been making the poison undocable instead of ninja. Could even give ninja to the messanger slot as well, though that might put the game in scum's favor (which I personally find to be true balance).

@ #HBC | Laundry #HBC | Laundry @ Protean- Protean- @#HBC | Gorf I think you played very very well. Gorf you are one epic busser. I really would have liked to see how your game would have turned out had you not been banned and had you better scum mates that didn't replace out. Out of curiosity, were you online during the scary lynch / frozen wagon attempt? I noticed that just before that went down, you made a post saying that you were here and then you stopped posting until right after Scary was hammered. I'm curious if you were legit lurking during the debacle.

Laundry you played well as well. Your claim was very clever though far-fetched flavorwise. Your Amnesiac claim actually made me more resistant to lynching you because I didn't think that Sword would give scum an Amnesiac safe claim seeing as it would condemn them. If you waited to claim after Werekill and I did, you might have been able to go even further in the game in my opinion. A VT claim could have sent you to endgame.

"I don't like the insistence to **** with players via set-ups and punish massclaims in that matter. That almost always results in MLs and just wastes town's time."

This is silly to the greatest degree. Town shouldn't be punished for playing badly? The mod shouldn't provide safe maneuvers for out guessing attempts? I very much disagree with you on this.

@#HBC | Mac Sorry for wavering on you so much. In the end I guess I fell into the same meta trap as Jerkus. Your apathy was just so out of line with your Zombies! play and in line with your celebrity (?) / Necro play. But all the games I remember with you before Zombies! have been that way so eh. Whenever you said "I understand why you think I'm scummy though", that came off as manipulative/AtE to me. Also I find my endgame AtE brilliant tbqh :p. There was no other way for Were and FML to reconsider me. Nothing I could have said otherwise would have convinced them of their fallacy.

@Gheb_01 @Inglorious ******* *brofists*

@#HBC | FrozeηFlame You kept the game in line and stuck to the fundamentals up until D4. This is the first game I've played with you in a long while. Hopefully next time we can be more ηline. Your asteristic zeal made me raise an eyebrow at points because it's own form of emotional appeal. You played a pretty solid game though. Expressing myself is something I really need to work on. This is consistently a problem. Many times you would quote something of mine and say how weird it was and then proceed to say the same thing in a more articulate manner. Like when you questioned my "Now we have to lynch a PR :(" and then proceeded to lynch a PR. A Fro-Zen hydra + avatar consisting of Yoh Asakura with an Afro is so much in order. I do think we complement each other as town when we are ηline. Such as Soul Calibur Mafia.

@Jerkus The avatar thing real talk. The coy thing was really hard to work with. Circus I feel you used to be way more receptive to other people's opinions and perceptions. Lately it's like you got so tired of all the stupidity in the world and just closed off completely to the idea of other people being right. J always a pleasure.

@Ilovegiraffes Ruy You were mega obvtown to the maximum imo. Ran you were obvtown to me and did very well in explaining yourself when I had doubts. I'm glad you town read me as well. Makes things so much easier. When there aren't any scum in your sight, it's ok to step back and let things play out for a bit. You were getting to ahead of yourself with your FML and Were pushes.

@ Ashemu Ashemu You are very intelligent. I really hope you play more games around here. I'd like to see how you fair out in the long run.

@FullMetalLynch No worries dude. I'm just glad that you were reexamining things in the end. Even if you would of happened to make the same decision. I feel you made yourself really easy to follow thought wise and weren't scummy at all throughout the game. Please never lynch someone merely because of a funky role. How they claimed it matters I would say. Xatres had like no reason to claim the way he did as scum. And I'm really not that ******** to make such a claim as scum :c.

@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe I really loved your play. I've always had problems with your cryptic, card-holding style, but I feel you played it really well here. To me, you made yourself understandable without revealing too much information. Your actions always seem so far-fetched but your explanations for them are genius.

@ Lore Lore Nice game overall man. The main criticism I have is that you should never think in absolutes. Zenshemu or Laundry being scum was not 100%. That line of thought can really mess you up. You were stubborn on the last day, but I don't really blame you at all. I feel that most of the game you were being really open minded and you could tell that you were really thinking things through. Your tracks were supra-par. I really don't have anything negative to say about your play.

@#HBC | Scary as I said you played your wagon very well. You kept making posts the really made me doubt my read on you. Once you improve on faking pushes, you'll be top-notch. You had no reads or scum hunting intent and that's what gave you away. You gotta give the image that you are blood thirsty for finding scum. There was something I never brought up, but I had realized that you kept asking why I did the triple vote thing, but you never asked why Bardull was doing the double vote thing. This to me indicated that you two were scum mates. I was too insecure about the idea to mention it though.

@Rajam I thought you played quite well given the position you were put in :3

@ Dooms Dooms always be leavin us hanging :urg:

@Xatres I feel you just got too wrapped up in your Jerkus read. I don't blame you too much, but I also think you need to work on reexamining with an open mind. A lot of the scum tells you were using were very null and may actually only ever be applicable to newb scum. I've been where you were though and could see your perspective. But yeah I think you should start working on reexamining by just assuming you are wrong.

@Vult Redux Do you know Ashemu? You know Ashemu don't you.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Thanks Zen! It means a good bit to get such a compliment in my first game back in DGames, and I feel like I've learned a lot this game for sure.

On one note regarding your AtE, I had already unvoted and was wavering when you voted for yourself. :p But it worked overall, and I would be lying if I said it wasn't in the back of my head.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
This is silly to the greatest degree. Town shouldn't be punished for playing badly? The mod shouldn't provide safe maneuvers for out guessing attempts? I very much disagree with you on this.
I don't count lynching for questionable/similar claims as bad play, I count that as ******* modding. This isn't as bad as what Kantrip did in Luigi's Mansion but it's basically setting your roles up to be a trap and then condemning players for lynching them when a questionable roleclaim might be the only way you can catch someone sometimes.

Ashemu

Smash Ace
sorry zen for being the worst hydra partner ever

these things are fun in theory but it turns out i find it frustrating enough already to only have to yell at town until they listen to me. i didnt really know when to make concessions to my hydra partner's reads even when i disagreed and it probably came off as half scummy hydra dissonance, half me being an ass

i agree with zen that massclaim sucks but sometimes you just have to use it because it makes the win easier vOv i think it actually ended up beneficial here because it lead to the chain of events that caused laundry's downfall. would that have been as easy without werekill's track on him or if he could reasonably justify targetting the town clear? probably not. mostly dumb luck rather than optimal play though

well gg everyone. especially gg gheb for the rajam lynch remember when i suspected you on d2. i dont think ive ever read you correctly in a mafia game including old ones on this site i read without spoilers <_<. frozen was also fun to play with

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
What, you weren't a bad hydra partner at all. We both just played a day and half as solo and didn't talk about how we were going to play the game when we came together. Not having an actual hydra account kind of set us back.

well gg everyone. especially gg gheb for the rajam lynch remember when i suspected you on d2. i dont think ive ever read you correctly in a mafia game including old ones on this site i read without spoilers <_<. frozen was also fun to play with
Such a tease.

Last edited:

Ashemu

Smash Ace
ive literally posted in a quicktopic with my standard username before are we still on this

Ashemu

Smash Ace
also: re: set-up: i can understand the funny stuff with the vote manipulators in a role madness game where role spec is encouraged but why even put them in a large vanilla game? oh well.

Ashemu

Smash Ace
also i could not tell circus apart from J when the posts were longer than a paragraph tbh :T

jerkus and mac (lategame at least) were really obvtown to me, yall are too paranoid

although i thought joey/xatres were scummy so well call it even

Ashemu

Smash Ace
I mean Ash is pushing for WL based solely off role spec and in this case he's right.
fwiw the WL case wasn't just role speculation but how his claim played out and how he was using his role which are a lot more important than the claim itself. how bad of a claim RNG COP is was just the icing on the cake

Protean-

Gorf|Washed Laundry
yea i honestly think that the me yelling at my partners thing was just you being paranoid cuz that was how you saw it as scum laundry. agree to disagree, but i felt good about how i handled em personally.

zen i believe i had been here for the early afternoon n was doing something while the scary lynch occurred.

#HBC | Dancer

I don't count lynching for questionable/similar claims as bad play, I count that as ******* modding. This isn't as bad as what Kantrip did in Luigi's Mansion but it's basically setting your roles up to be a trap and then condemning players for lynching them when a questionable roleclaim might be the only way you can catch someone sometimes.

The idea actually came directly from Kantrip's set up. =)

Maybe the implantation wasn't right for various reasons but I really like the idea of claimed PR != cleared slot which is what I was going for. Makes mass claiming less effective, players have to relay on play more, ect.

Actually probably would have had the opposite effect of what was intended because of what Rake pointed out.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm actually planning on trying it out myself fairly soon! I remember watching one episode ages ago on SciFi I think. It had something about a doctor being dumped by his fiancee or something after he operated on the wrong person and caused some kind of scandal. How far into the series is that? It was ages ago so I may be wrong on bits of what I saw. I think the doctor guy was the one in your avatar, Dancer.

#HBC | Dancer

@ Xivii Xivii

y u b so insecure. This set up was mad swaggin. Nina's role was awesome. And the poison was legit. I do sympathize with scum's view though. I hate facing a ton of PRs as scum without the advantage of being ahead in information or having the potential to. I also really hate Mail Man/Courier because they are so anti-town. I can understand scum's concern with claiming it. I think one thing that may have brought ultimate balance would have been making the poison undocable instead of ninja. Could even give ninja to the messanger slot as well, though that might put the game in scum's favor (which I personally find to be true balance).
Thanks! Glad you liked it. =)

Insecurity comes from worry of things not being balanced. I like my ideas but I just feel like a few small tweaks could have made things better.

Let me give you a glimpse inside my head as I designed this game.

"Alright, mafia should get a role that just seems townie. I know, messanger! I saw Xivii use it in Sonic mafia!"
"Oh, but mafia needs some kind of investigative role. But it has to seem townie to!"
"I know, voyeur!"
"But voyeur looks weird in a massclaim because there will be two other investigates claiming and not that many other roles that need voyeuring."
"Oh, um, back to messanger?"

Fun fact, poisoner originally BOTH bypassed doc and track. I decided against this though as I felt that it basically just neglected town's two main PRs.

#HBC | Dancer

I'm actually planning on trying it out myself fairly soon! I remember watching one episode ages ago on SciFi I think. It had something about a doctor being dumped by his fiancee or something after he operated on the wrong person and caused some kind of scandal. How far into the series is that? It was ages ago so I may be wrong on bits of what I saw. I think the doctor guy was the one in your avatar, Dancer.
Only about three episodes in out of 74.

The doctor's name in Kenzo Tenma, the protagonist of the show. He only "technically" operated on the wrong person. It's a bit long to explain, but basically he went against his superiors orders in order to follow his conscious and it ended up getting him in bad with the superior and his daughter (who was also his fiancee).

Top Bottom