• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
http://kotaku.com/381505/midway-gamers-day-mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe-first-characters-announced
http://kotaku.com/381640/mk-vs-dc-batman-versus-sub+zero

Sadly, this is real.

It's bad enough they are whoring out the Mortal Kombat name for some stupid mash-up game, BUT they are removing the Mortal Kombat main attraction: fatalities.

Yep, the one thing that set Mortal Kombat away from the endless fest of ****ty games called "fighting" is now officially done away with. Kotaku reports DC may have had some weigh. Regardless, what an awful game.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And I thought Yoda and Vader in Soul Calibur was bad.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't really see how putting Mortal Kombat against DC is any different than putting Capcom against Marvel. MK Deception was a pretty good game. So it's not like it's impossible for them to actually make a good MK game if they try. So why not give this one a chance?

All they've shown is one small glimpse of gameplay and everyone is already deciding that the game sucks. The game isn't automatically bad just because they're adding DC characters. You guys sound just like the people who got mad when they added Snake to Brawl.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone else that they're taking out fatalities. I would have loved to have seen what fatalities they would have come up with for the DC characters. But Ed Boon said that there will be "finishing moves" that will replace fatalities, so I'll wait and see what the new finishing moves are like before I judge them.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Hey, after reading some of the stuff, I actually think this could be a fun game. Most people, I think, are just going on first impressions. But now, I'm thinking it might actually turn out alright.

M.K

Level 55
Hold....up!

What....Darth Vader and Yoda are in a Soul Calibur game, a game that has absolutely ZERO connection to the Star Wars/Movie/Sci-Fi Genre?

That deserves a huge, epic failed WTF.

S2

Smash Lord
An MK without massive gore is basically not MK. That series has always been deeply rooted in shock value.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

an MK without the blood/gore/fatalities is like a DOA game without girls or boobs.

There's still a little gameplay left, but its just not the same.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I don't really see how putting Mortal Kombat against DC is any different than putting Capcom against Marvel. MK Deception was a pretty good game. So it's not like it's impossible for them to actually make a good MK game if they try. So why not give this one a chance?

All they've shown is one small glimpse of gameplay and everyone is already deciding that the game sucks. The game isn't automatically bad just because they're adding DC characters. You guys sound just like the people who got mad when they added Snake to Brawl.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone else that they're taking out fatalities. I would have loved to have seen what fatalities they would have come up with for the DC characters. But Ed Boon said that there will be "finishing moves" that will replace fatalities, so I'll wait and see what the new finishing moves are like before I judge them.
The difference is that Capcom has proven that they're capable of producing quality fighting games. When was the last good Mortal Kombat game?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Armageddon was great, but the lack of unique fatalities killed it for me, so I sold it shortly after buying it.

Fatalities made the game. Fighting games in general suck. Look at the "better" fighting games, they have some unique thing that's makes it stand out slightly above the rest, but in the end, they are just boring games.

Mortal Kombat was pretty much my favorite fighting game because of the unique characters and awesome fatalities and outrageous gore.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The difference is that Capcom has proven that they're capable of producing quality fighting games. When was the last good Mortal Kombat game?
The last good MK game was MK Deception. I didn't really like Armageddon too much. Whenever they make a bad MK game it's usually because they just used a bunch of recycled crap from the previous games. For this game they're doing everything from scratch, and they're completely redoing the fighting system and all of the characters' move sets.

Capcom has had it's share of bad games too. Have you ever played Capcom Fighting Evolution?

S2

Smash Lord
MK games have never been about a lot of depth or tournament play. Many fighting games are, but if that's what your looking for in MK then you won't find it.

MK games have always been about the presentation. The shock value, the blood, the crazy fighters, ridiculous moves, hilarious sound effects and most of all THE FALALITIES.

This is why even though many hardcore fighting game fans dislike the series, it continues to sell well to a casual audience with every iteration. Because its unapologetically delivering a fun little fighter with good presentation.

If MK vs. DC cuts out the brutalness that MK is known for, well then its got an uphill battle. People don't buy MK for gameplay depth, they buy it for Fatalities and such. With a concept like that, everyone just immediatly want to be able to decapitate Superman or see Batman rip someone's arms off. The fact that the game is being toned down due to the DC license pretty much makes the project irrelevant to most gamers.

Yeah, my favorite MK is still UMK3. I have a special place in my heart for the 2D ones, with the cheesy motion capture.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'll agree that the idea (while very WTF) is actually quite cool.

But I'm hoping that the DC license doesn't make the developers forget why people enjoy the MK franchise in the first place.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
This game isn't going to fail. I knew it would be a success the minute I heard the title.

Regardless of what you think of recent MK games, they've all sold well. When this game comes out, all of the hardcore MK fans are going to buy it. Even if a lot of this dislike the idea, it's still a new MK game and they'll still buy it. Also, a lot of DC fans who have never played an MK game in their life are going to buy it because of the DC characters. And a lot of old MK fans who have lost interest in the series are going to be intrigued by the idea of seeing their favorite childhood characters fighting DC characters.

So this could end up being the worst game in history and still sell a million copies. And then there's always the chance that it could actually end up being good.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm done with fatalities. I've seen it all. They were getting silly anyway. Babalities, friendships, animalities, and the such were good for MK 1-3 since that was really the only original idea that separated it from the rest of the fighters. Boon did what he needed to do and I'll forgive him and Tobias for the cheesy ensemble of finishing moves that riddled the original 3 Mortal Kombats.

Its time for substance and as much as I would have liked to have seen Batman roundhouse kick someone's head off, I know this is for the better. I want a deeper gameplay engine, more dynamic elements like the fall B-man and Sub-Zero took in the trailer, and a brave new idea like the one were staring at right now in the MK/DC showdown more than any MK8 with a cheese factor of 100 and just as many mundane fatalities. I don't believe fatalities will capture my attention anymore like the spine rip did in MK I.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
As long as I can rip of Aquaman's arms, I'm set and good.

Marvel and DC should just make a fighting game based on the Amalgam Comics, seriously. Not so much the mixed characters like Dark Claw, but just DC v. Marvel(I may be confusing two series of DC and Marvel crossovers, but the amalgam characters could be unlockable if such a game where made).

Soul Caliber IV is going to try and at least explain why the Force will not be overpowered, MK v. DC should have a story to nerf Superman.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
As long as I can rip of Aquaman's arms, I'm set and good.

Marvel and DC should just make a fighting game based on the Amalgam Comics, seriously. Not so much the mixed characters like Dark Claw, but just DC v. Marvel.

Soul Caliber IV is going to try and at least explain why the Force will not be overpowered, MK v. DC should have a story to nerf Superman.
Boon has already gathered a couple of DC writers to sort that out. They are taking a magic angle on it.

While were on the subject, those same writers are also helping him to make sense of the DC/MK world collision. I'm sure they'll come up with something. :chuckle:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Boon has already gathered a couple of DC writers to sort that out. They are taking a magic angle on it.
Magic is one of the substances that Superman doesn't have a natural resistance to, right? So, while crossing over in this magic dimension, Superman still has powers, but greatly reduced and can get hurt physically by the mystic aspects of the MK realm naturally has. I guess something like that can make sense.

While were on the subject, those same writers are also helping him to make sense of the DC/MK world collision. I'm sure they'll come up with something. :chuckle:
Love to see what DC villain is behind all this, it would suck if just some new villain was made. Can anyone else imagine Darkseid behind this?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Magic is one of the substances that Superman doesn't have a natural resistance to, right? So, while crossing over in this magic dimension, Superman still has powers, but greatly reduced and can get hurt physically by the mystic aspects of the MK realm naturally has. I guess something like that can make sense.
Superman isn't particularly weak against magic, but magic is one of those forces that tends to do damage to him. He may retain every bit of his super human strength, heat vision, etc. His invulnerability however....might take a plunge like you suggest.

Love to see what DC villain is behind all this, it would suck if just some new villain was made. Can anyone else imagine Darkseid behind this?
Darkseid would have never bothered to bring worlds together unless he had something to gain from it. Even if the MK world had something he wanted, chances are he would keep people like Superman out of it and just use a Mother box to travel to the MK world, army closely following. Shao Kahn's power level is the equivalent of a God's and like most Gods, Darkseid would see him as a threat and try to eliminate him, steal his power, and gain control of Earthrealm and the Outworld. He tried a similar plan against the DC Olympian Gods, only he failed after a devastating battle against the amazons.

I wonder if Shao Kahn can take a few omega beams like Superman can.....

Theres a decent chance we will find out. :)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Dang, you'er giving this more thought than I am plot-wise. I just like Darkseid the most. Maybe he realizes that the DC characters would try and stop the threat of MK villains, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Heh, I remember I rented this one DC fighting game on the Sega Genesis when I was a kid and I played Darkseid every time. He's just my favorite villain and I want this game to have the same God-tier Darkseid.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Metaphorically speaking; no fatalities= No Mortal Kombat. Just another shallow attempt at a shallow genre.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The last good MK game was MK Deception. I didn't really like Armageddon too much. Whenever they make a bad MK game it's usually because they just used a bunch of recycled crap from the previous games. For this game they're doing everything from scratch, and they're completely redoing the fighting system and all of the characters' move sets.

Capcom has had it's share of bad games too. Have you ever played Capcom Fighting Evolution?
The last great MK game was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The series failed after that. I admit that Deadly Alliance was a good attempt at bringing the series back but they failed after that.

Sure, the Deception story (minus Rayden and Liu Kang coming back) was fine but it didn't make the gameplay better. In fact, it was worse than Deadly Alliance's. And the new characters were some of the worst in the series. I did think Onaga was good villain though.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
this idea is no worse than marvel vs capcom. and seriously now, who doesn't want to geek out right now? Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, the Martian Manhunter, the Flash, Aqua Man and all the rest vs Scorpion and Raiden and Rain and Johnny Cage. Im so stoked.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
this idea is no worse than marvel vs capcom. and seriously now, who doesn't want to geek out right now? Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, the Martian Manhunter, the Flash, Aqua Man and all the rest vs Scorpion and Raiden and Rain and Johnny Cage. Im so stoked.
Agreed. I was so not expecting this. This could be the game that restores my interest in MK and respect DC as much as a I respect Marvel. I <3 Crossovers! Speaking of which, where's my Namco X Capcom, Japan!

NIXN

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this sucks. I thought about DC vs DH or DC vs Marvel, but never Mortal Kombat. The older comic versus games were better; Marvel VS Capcom, Street Fighter VS X-men.

Could be worse? MK vs Guilty Gear or MK vs Soul Calibur

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
I like the idea of the MK and DC crossover. But no fatalities? That is so foolish. Like some people have stated; fatalities are what make up Mortal Kombat. Oh well; it will be a good game anyways, maybe.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
You know, D (censored) C should just rot in the bowels of my toilet (Because I use the Flash comics as toilet paper) but seriously, making MK into a kiddy comic book is not okay.
The lack of real fatalities I can understand, but the blood restrictions are a little silly to me. Let the stuff stay on the floor! -_-

NIXN

Smash Apprentice
The lack of real fatalities I can understand, but the blood restrictions are a little silly to me. Let the stuff stay on the floor! -_-

I didnt know there was a blood restriction. DC has produced their comics with plenty of blood and gore. I have a Batman comic of him throwing Battarangs and jabbing one in the Joker`s eye. They shouldn't hold back fatalities and blood but heroes committing psychotic gore shreddings wouldnt look good.

~rh

Smash Lord
Flash uppercutting the **** outta Superman = awesome.

Top Bottom