• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The story-writer for Mother series, Itoi, has himself said he would not continue the series. It's a shame.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yea true, I wish maybe someone else of Nintendo would continue it, but what is there left to continue on, all evil was wiped in the nowhere islands, so if they do get another chance, as unlikely as it is will take place between Earthbound and Mother 3, yet what would be the conflict.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't feel like Paula or Poo really oughta be in it, simply because Ness has already hijacked their primary moves. Oh, and because Poo somehow comes off as ruthlessly racist. I'd support Jeff for sure, though.

And, well, throw in a bunch of other characters are alternate costumes. I acknowledge that Ninten and Ness are different characters with different abilities, but... c'mon. The main thing that differentiates Ninten from other psi users is that he never learns offensive abilities... not a great start for a fighting game.
Jeff could get that Loid/Lloyd kid as an alternate costume too.

... Though, now that I'm thinking about it, how awesome would Poo's Mirror ability be? Maybe as a counter where he repeats the attack used against him? That'd be pretty cool.

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
Probably Masked Man, because he's pretty much the only viable "villain." Also, I feel the need to mention that there's a Mother 4 fangame being made. That's better than nothing!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'd totally support Porky, but I'm in the Masked Man camp. Why not both?!?

:cool:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
He's too bi-- *shot*

I don't think this series needs a newcomer. Three games and the creator said the series is over... that doesn't seem very favorable, does it?

Still, if the series had a newcomer, it'd be better if it was a villain so Porky or Masked Man.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I only support Porky cause of him being essential to both EarthBound and Mother 3's plot as a villain. And always felt his appearance as a boss in Brawl wasn't that coincidential.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He's too bi-- *shot*

I don't think this series needs a newcomer. Three games and the creator said the series is over... that doesn't seem very favorable, does it?

Still, if the series had a newcomer, it'd be better if it was a villain so Porky or Masked Man.
That's such a shame :(

I'm glad there's fan initiative to work on a 4th, because these are gems that coming generations will practically NEVER see over here except in Smash. It does make it look absolutely impossible that they'd get a newcomer, since there are none that are popular, and fairly good representation of the series already. Alas. I'll just settle for my "Masked Man over Ness" skin in P:M.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'm not familiar with the series.

So from my extremely ignorant perspective, it looks like porky primarily fights with the giant spider thing. I'm not sure ridley's logic for scaling can be applied here. Additionally a full moveset from that machine or a unaided porkey seems far fetched.
Masked man i know very little about. It seems like a good pick. How would he fight if he were in game? Would he be a clone?

I'd like to know more about the series, so feel free to tear apart what i just said.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I'm not familiar with the series.

So from my extremely ignorant perspective, it looks like porky primarily fights with the giant spider thing. I'm not sure ridley's logic for scaling can be applied here. Additionally a full moveset from that machine or a unaided porkey seems far fetched.
Masked man i know very little about. It seems like a good pick. How would he fight if he were in game? Would he be a clone?

I'd like to know more about the series, so feel free to tear apart what i just said.
Porky pretty much has no fighting abilities. In Mother 2 (Earthbound) he's an antagonist who shows up a few times during the game, but he gets others to do any fighting for him. The only time you do get to fight him is during the final battle, however he's in a spider mech (albeit one much smaller than the one we see him use in Mother 3 and Brawl). The game's introduction displays how utterly useless Porky's physical combat skills are. He joins your party briefly as a computer controlled character, however if you get attacked by an enemy Porky will perform useless commands such as using Ness as a shield or playing dead, rather than fighting the enemy or aiding Ness in any way. I haven't played much of Mother 3, but I believe Porky once again only fights you in a mech.

Porky can't fight with his fists and doesn't have any PSI abilities so it's hard to see how he'd work in Smash. The only way I could see him working is if he pilots a very small mech that's more a robo-suit than a mech. I'd prefer him to remain as a boss however.

Regarding Masked Man, I don't see how he could be a clone of Ness. He has a sword, an arm cannon, lightning attacks, PSI attacks and mechanical wings, so in terms of moveset potential he could be pretty exciting. In that respect he's probably better to have than Lucas.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Porky pretty much has no fighting abilities. In Mother 2 (Earthbound) he's an antagonist who shows up a few times during the game, but he gets others to do any fighting for him. The only time you do get to fight him is during the final battle, however he's in a spider mech (albeit one much smaller than the one we see him use in Mother 3 and Brawl). The game's introduction displays how utterly useless Porky's physical combat skills are. He joins your party briefly as a computer controlled character, however if you get attacked by an enemy Porky will perform useless commands such as using Ness as a shield or playing dead, rather than fighting the enemy or aiding Ness in any way. I haven't played much of Mother 3, but I believe Porky once again only fights you in a mech.
That's exactly how some people want him to be playable. In his mech. Frankly, that would be kind of cool.

Regarding Masked Man, I don't see how he could be a clone of Ness. He has a sword, an arm cannon, lightning attacks, PSI attacks and mechanical wings, so in terms of moveset potential he could be pretty exciting. In that respect he's probably better to have than Lucas.
Anyone can be a clone of anyone. Sakurai made Ganondorf a Falcon Clone. Every character has the ability to be unique, but they also may fall to the clone trap.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Porky isn't that big, even with the mech in Mother 3.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
wait what?

I never posted here yet? even without considering my avatar?

anyways Giegue (not Giygas) is a character that really hasn't been mentioned yet, and since he is a MOTHER 1 (also was giygas in earthbound) rep AND a villain, it makes more sense to me to have him in over characters like claus, flint, jeff and poo. maybe not ninten but whatever.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Theres two paths the Mother franchise can go to:

-Either add Porky or/and Masked Man to keep as popular Earthbound reps.
-Or Add Ninten to complete the Mother Trilogy of protagonists, no more Mother characters have to be added.

Either way I can accept.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd prefer Porky. He's the most recurring character in the 3 games released, and would be much more unique than Ninten at least. Plus, he's a villian.

Though I haven't played SSB Crusade, Porky is a playable character in it. I guess I'll have to try it when v0.9 comes out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Giegue aka Giygas would make the BEST alternative costume for Mewtwo ever.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'd prefer Porky. He's the most recurring character in the 3 games released, and would be much more unique than Ninten at least. Plus, he's a villian.

Though I haven't played SSB Crusade, Porky is a playable character in it. I guess I'll have to try it when v0.9 comes out.
I don't think I remember Porky appearing in Earthbound Zero during my playthrough.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think I remember Porky appearing in Earthbound Zero during my playthrough.
He's not in Earthbound Zero.

My point is that he appears in two out of three games, which makes him a recurring character (and also automatically the most recurring one, as no other character appears in more than one game, at least as far as I know.)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
He's not in Earthbound Zero.

My point is that he appears in two out of three games, which makes him a recurring character (and also automatically the most recurring one, as no other character appears in more than one game, at least as far as I know.)
Giygas was in two games, (as I mentioned.) since giegue was the name of the character in a game that never got released in America, they were able to rename him giygas in the next game. also giegue was inspiration to mewtwo so technically he was already in melee, but wasn't at the same time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But don't you think Ninten would complete the cast of the Mother series?
I don't see it as necessary. He's so similar to Ness, that I think he's better off as an alt for him (preferably a model swap like the pictures you posted). I know you mentioned that Ninten doesn't learn any offensive abilities, but I don't see how it would translate into a fighting game like Smash.
Giygas was in two games, (as I mentioned.) since giegue was the name of the character in a game that never got released in America, they were able to rename him giygas in the next game. also giegue was inspiration to mewtwo so technically he was already in melee, but wasn't at the same time.
I see. Maybe I should take out time to play the trilogy.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
playing the game changes your opinion of the characters drastically. I main ness now just because I played earthbound. It used to be lucario.

Speculator

Smash Ace
As much as I love MOTHER, with only three games I think two characters is plenty. Three characters puts it at the same number as something like Kirby, who has had a game released every year since his inception in 1992 (except for the year SSB64 came out).

I do, however, fully support Ninten as an alternate model for Ness. I know they're not similar in terms of abilities but Ness only actually uses one of his specials in EarthBound, so I don't think it's that far-fetched, and of course they're visually ver similar.

The ideal situation for me would be to have Ninten as an alternate model for Ness complete with his own voice clips, intro animation (4th-D Slip!), victory poses and announcer voiceovers.

Speculator

Smash Ace
So no one gets the feeling that a series is not complete without the original hero (Ninten).
Apart from an alt costume for Ness, I think the original MOTHER would be better represented with stages and music. There are some really memorable locations in the game - the Zoo, Mt. Itoi Peak, Ellay, the Paradise Line and so on. Personally I think it had the best overworld out of all three. It has some really great music too, not only Pollyana and Bein' Friends but some of the battle themes are fantastic. Wisdom of the World is my favorite tune but it's maybe not suited particularly well to a fighting game. Maybe they could do a big MOTHER 1 medley?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ninten would be neat.... but the Mother 3 player inside me wants Claus.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
So no one gets the feeling that a series is not complete without the original hero (Ninten).
Yes I do, but I still don't really want him. Unfortunately the other proposed Mother characters such as Jeff, Masked Man and Porky would make more interesting fighters than him.

It's a shame that the original hero of a series isn't in Smash when later ones are, but that's just how it's gone with Ninten. Ness was a better choice than him for SSB64 since Mother 2 was internationally released and a fairly recent game at the time, making Ness a well-known face amongst Japanese and American Nintendo fans (not for Europeans like me however:sadeyes:) at the time. Ninten wouldn't have been recognised by American gamers and since the game was so long ago a good deal of Japanese gamers would've forgotten him too. When Brawl came around Mother 3 was an extremely popular game in Japan, and thanks to emulation had built up a considerable cult following in the West, so naturally Lucas or another Mother 3 character was a better choice than Ninten.

If I felt Mother warranted three reps then Ninten would probably be my choice just for the sake of having each game represented by their respective main protagonist, but personally I don't (that's no criticism of the series by the way, it's a fantastic series, but it's just not big enough for 3 reps IMO).

I'd be happy for Ness and Lucas to remain the two Mother reps indefinitely, however I'd like to see Lucas replaced by Masked Man. I've no problem with Lucas but Masked Man is extremely exciting in terms of moveset potential, plus both Mother 2 and 3 would still be represented and we'd have one of the series 'villains' to play as.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Does anyone think that Earthbound coming to the US Virtual Console means anything as far as their representation? It's kind of (KIND OF) a big deal, but I myself don't see much translating into Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope they bring back Fourside as a stage. Maybe add in Moonside as well. :colorful:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does anyone think that Earthbound coming to the US Virtual Console means anything as far as their representation? It's kind of (KIND OF) a big deal, but I myself don't see much translating into Smash.
I don't think so. There aren't any characters who are commonly requested.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Poo had crazy popularity once... Jeff is also an AT, and Paula has 'teached' all her moves to Ness.

Conspiracy anyone?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Poo had crazy popularity once... Jeff is also an AT, and Paula has 'teached' all her moves to Ness.

Conspiracy anyone?
Having a character named "poo" might be considered, um I DON'T KNOW, racist? or controversial.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isn't he the Asian dude out of the group? Token Asian kid mingling with only white kids called Poo? Even worse, in a game made by Japanese people... Yes, that's totally racist man.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Isn't he the Asian dude out of the group? Token Asian kid mingling with only white kids called Poo? Even worse, in a game made by Japanese people... Yes, that's totally racist man.
I'm just sayin that people get worked up over stupid things. now poo is totally fine by me, but its always going to piss SOMEONE off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom