• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
"Poo" never struck me as racist or controversial or anything like that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well anyways, he was very popular pre-Melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know where his popularity came from though, but he was easily the most suggested secondary EarthBound character.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Does anyone think that Earthbound coming to the US Virtual Console means anything as far as their representation? It's kind of (KIND OF) a big deal, but I myself don't see much translating into Smash.
I doubt it. If we get any more characters they will probably come from Mother 3.

Earthbound:
Poo- I think he'd be kind of boring for smash. Pretty much just a basic fighter.
Jeff- Probably the more interesting of the three. Item user.
Paula- Only thing really going for her is she's female, and a stereotypical one at that.

Mother 3:
Claus- Not much to say here. I think he's the most likely new rep.
Porky- Uses his mechs, but could easily just fall back into a boss fight in adventure mode.
Kumatora- Tomboy, who I believe kills any chance of Paula being playable. PSI attacks, and wears gloves for hand to hand combat.
Duster- Interesting character, but the above three would probably get in over him.

Mother 1:
Ninten - Maybe as a last minute clone.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't know where his popularity came from though, but he was easily the most suggested secondary EarthBound character.
I believe it was said that his popularity came from his trophy appearing in a screenshot, so some people were sure that meant he was in. I guess whoever they were, they had enough influence to make that an accepted idea. Also I'm guessing because his name is POO, he got a lot of support as a joke.

I think Chrono described him as Melee's Geno.

ALSO, I really want Porky. Scuttling around in his spider mech would be so cool. Though, I would prefer some kind of new design for him. Where it's shaped more like the Mother 2 mech, but looks more mechanical like the Mother 3 mech.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrono told about his weird fanbase before yeah, but I forgot exactly what he said.

The way I see it, as potential in each Mother newcomer:

EarthBound:
Paula: She has ALL her main attacking PSI attacks already in the game. She would work extremely easy, yet she lacks popularity. But she has a strong prominent role: after all she's the one who killed Giygas.
Jeff: Interessting moveset potential with all the weapons he has, and was in Brawl as an AT. Also a character you've played as alone for a small part in EarthBound.
Poo: Like Jeff, he was also playable for a while alone in EarthBound. And like Paula, he already has one of his more iconic moves in Brawl: PK Starstorm. And he'd be quite easy to make a moveset for. Got popularity as well, and might actually get some support once more Americans and finally Europeans get to play EarthBound.

Mother 3:
Kumatora: Has literally ALL her moves in Smash as attacks for Lucas, and PK Ground makes an easy Down B. Also has quite a good role in Mother 3.
Duster: Has enough tools and abilities to make an interessting character. And like Jeff and Poo, was also playable alone in Mother 3 at some point. But it seems likely he might be detoned to a AT, like Jeff.
Masked Man Claus: Whoa would I love him getting in. Problem with Mother 3 in general is it's Japan-only status. And seeing Mother will be worldwide soon with EarthBound, this game might be overlooked, and only have Lucas in. Otherwise, he'd be my second pick after Porky. Or even become first choice.
Porky: Being a villain in both EarthBound and Mother 3 helps. Boss status in Brawl also helps. Especially if Ridley also becomes playable. HE'S TOO BIG? Please... From the Super Safe Capsule, Porky sticks his tongue out at you.

Mother 1:
Ninten: Far less likely if Mother 1 won't ever get localisation. And less likely to as Lucas is already a Ness semi-clone.
Giygas / Giegue: With Mewtwo as it's spiritual succesor, Giygas is pretty doomed if he has to become playable as his Mother 1 self.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also fun fact about Giegue/Giygas, He was supposed to be the final boss of M3 but was removed for the terrifying scenes of his battle, look it up on google if you want to see why. I would love to see an alt. costume of Giegue for Mewtwo, it makes perfect sense.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Also fun fact about Giegue/Giygas, He was supposed to be the final boss of M3 but was removed for the terrifying scenes of his battle, look it up on google if you want to see why. I would love to see an alt. costume of Giegue for Mewtwo, it makes perfect sense.
I don't think that was giygas, but an alternate masked man battle.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I heard from somewhere it was Giygas possessing Masked Man at that point, also it was supposed to take place after that other battle.
That sounds like rumors to me. From what I understand the TMM fight originally had a lot more text and was much darker, but Itoi left it out to let the player decide what the characters were feeling. Which I think in many ways gave the ending a much more resounding emotional impact.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Really comes down to Porky and Masked Man to me. They both have their negatives though. Porky is the most recurring character from the series and has a brawl boss status. On the other hand, If Sakurai thought Ridley was possibly too big than Porky(in mech form) may be seen as even stretching that statement. Not to mention the awkwardness of fighting in his mech(like with grabs and things). Though this could potentially prove trivial or not a problem if he fights outside his mech and has it as a FS or something. Masked Man is one of the only main antagonist that fits a fighters mold and holds the most wanted EB/Mother spot though he's less important than Porky and having 2 characters representing 1 game in a series of 3 may be seen as overkill.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Porky, Kumatora, or Masked Man please.

D

Deleted member

Not really big on a Mother rep, but I'd be lying if I said I'd wouldn't want to see Masked Man replace Lucas. Of course that'll never happen, so...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That sounds like rumors to me. From what I understand the TMM fight originally had a lot more text and was much darker, but Itoi left it out to let the player decide what the characters were feeling. Which I think in many ways gave the ending a much more resounding emotional impact.
I think that came from Earthbound 64.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't know the exact reason, but I don't recall it having to do with personal interpretation.

There WAS so some stuff from when Lucas and the others ate those mushrooms that got cut out for being way too dark.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I doubt it. If we get any more characters they will probably come from Mother 3.

Mother 3:
Claus- Not much to say here. I think he's the most likely new rep.
Porky- Uses his mechs, but could easily just fall back into a boss fight in adventure mode.

Mother 2 Porky in mech > Mother 3 Porky in mech. Just saying.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I oh so very much would like Porky! i feel as if he is nothing more than a pipedream though =/ although i was just thinking, could it be possible to make Porky a character (on foot) and have his mech be a final smash? honestly im not so sure what they could do for him in that case, but fellow Porky supporters cant deny how BEAST his FS would be! =p
on a side note, in all honesty i would not mind having Ninten reguardless how he plays

Tikao

Smash Ace
porky's final smash would be spawning porky bots for sure ... they're running towards the enemy until they explode ...
but porky with his mech would be to big (imo)

ninten looks to familiar to ness, so he won't be in the game ... and i hate that fact OH LOOKZ THIZ IZ NÄzZ, when someone sees ninten, who doesn't know earthbound very well
i hate everyone who thinks ninten is ness, but there are enough who are like that (and they deserve to die a painfull death), so no ninten for us D:

also i would support Jeff or Duster ... i mean c'mon, there would be SO MUCH stuff for there moves, and they wouldn't be like ness or lucas, so without psi

and i'm not sure about the masked man ... could be awesome, but i have a feeling like he would be the new mk ... he has his psi-stuff like lucas, he can fly with his bat-jetpack-stuff
he has a lazer sword, which can shoot lightning ...

luigi: hey mario, do you got a franklin badge
mario: franklin what
luigi: i'll miss you
mario :C
BAAAAAM

he would be op, or nerfed like hell, so he wouldn't be the actually masked man, he would just look like him

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
A non-mech Porky would be completely out of character for him. Just look at how he acts when he joins your party at the start of Earthbound.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey Mother/Earthbound fans, does this list contain most of the Important, Prominent, and fan favorite characters of all the Mother games?

Ness
Lucas
Ana
Claus (Masked Man)
Giygas
Jeff
Flint
Kumatora
Ninten
Paula
Poo
Porky

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE catagories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Duster, Teddy, EVE, Loid, and Boney.

Might as well throw in Hinawa.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
If any MOTHER character has a chance it'd be the Masked Man, IMO. They should get rid of Lucas and just replace him with Kumatora (not even joking).

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Magicant would be an interesting stage, but I have no idea how they'd pull it off.

Also wasn't part of MOTHER 1 technically in SSBB? I haven't played SSE in forever, but wasn't Lucas walking through a Zoo the first time you met him? (I thought it was a nod to the Zoo from the original MOTHER)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Magicant would be an interesting stage, but I have no idea how they'd pull it off.

Also wasn't part of MOTHER 1 technically in SSBB? I haven't played SSE in forever, but wasn't Lucas walking through a Zoo the first time you met him? (I thought it was a nod to the Zoo from the original MOTHER)
That's what I was thinking when I played through Earthbound Zero.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hinawa for ssb4? ... are you serious? xD
Well, she IS an important and prominent character in MOTHER 3. That's why I listed her. I never considered her as a playable character other than to appear for one of Lucas or Claus' attacks or even in the story mode.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I agree.

Tikao

Smash Ace
(afaik) this zoo in SSE is the zoo in mother1 ... you met ness (mother2) and lucas (mother3) and the stage is out of mother1 ... never understood that
If any MOTHER character has a chance it'd be the Masked Man, IMO. They should get rid of Lucas and just replace him with Kumatora (not even joking).
why should anybody get rid of Lucas ...just no!

lucas had a hard live, and then you wanna kick him out of ssb? ;_; ... he would be sad, and ness would be lonely like in ssb64/ssbm

Speculator

Smash Ace
That'd be like having Paula and not Ness. Lucas is the main character, that's why he's in Brawl in the first place. Instead of replacing him, they should take steps to alter his special moves so he feels like less of a Ness clone.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
At least Ness owns PSI Flash. Lucas is literally Kumatora. I like the kid (except for Brawl making him look like a *****) but another powerful female would've been quite nice. It's my opinion, really. Sorry about that.

EDIT: You never really know what Smash does though. Get rid of Mewtwo for...Lucario. Replace Roy (a main character) with Ike (a main character). Lucas COULD get the boot. I'm just saying if he did I wouldn't mind but ONLY if he were to be replaced by another MOTHER representative. Otherwise keep the kid in.

Tikao

Smash Ace
it's not about the psi-abilities ... it's about the persons behind there abilities, there is no one, who could just "replace" Lucas, yeah kumatora, if you look at pk-freeze etc. , but not lucas himself and that's the importent part of it (imo), whoever plans to replace lucas and/or ness in ssb4, will suffer !!!, as far as i'm able to find them
if there is anybody working at nintendo and thinking "hmm, i don't like lucas, let's replace him with (insert name)" he's thinking of killing lucas, after everything what happened to lucas, how can anyone even think of replacing lucas ... please, don't kill him nintendo, we can't decide this but ... just don't harm lucas ;_;

and no, that's not over-dramatic, that's the way i'm thinking about the earthbound/mother-series

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace

Mother 2 Porky in mech > Mother 3 Porky in mech. Just saying.
I dunno, I like his ridiculous bed mech from Mother 3 that made it into brawl. That one does seem more practical though for fighting.

Agreed, and I'd be fine with kumatora replacing Lucas. Keep lucas as a ness costume, keep the voice acting, and have the announcer say Lucas would be good enough for me. But will it happen... probably not. I'm hoping she at least makes it in as an assist, or maybe characters will get cameos in story mode.

bobadz

Smash Ace
At least Ness owns PSI Flash. Lucas is literally Kumatora. I like the kid (except for Brawl making him look like a *****) but another powerful female would've been quite nice. It's my opinion, really. Sorry about that.

EDIT: You never really know what Smash does though. Get rid of Mewtwo for...Lucario. Replace Roy (a main character) with Ike (a main character). Lucas COULD get the boot. I'm just saying if he did I wouldn't mind but ONLY if he were to be replaced by another MOTHER representative. Otherwise keep the kid in.
Mewtwo and Roy were meant to be in the game along with Lucario and Ike.

Also, Porky and/or Masked Man or bust.

One more thing, Mother 3 is held in much higher regard in the west then in Japan. in Japan they say its a giant step down from Mother 2/Earthbound. That's not the case for most people who played it in the West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom