• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Except that the creator of the mother series considers ness and ninten the same and likes porky. BUT. That's just what I've read online somewhere and might not be true.

Also there's usually a villian before a 3rd good guy.

I'd rather have porky or the ultimate chimera.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Except that the creator of the mother series considers ness and ninten the same and likes porky. BUT. That's just what I've read online somewhere and might not be true.

Also there's usually a villian before a 3rd good guy.

I'd rather have porky or the ultimate chimera.
Yes, villains are a must when it comes to series. Though, my question is how do we make Porky feel fitting to the game's fighting style? It would be awkward fighting him in the same machine he used in Brawl.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, for starters his EB mech is like a quarter of the size of his MO3 and brawl one.

Then there's the less than likely but awesome doc-oc porky, that would be pretty unique.

Lastly, I'm sure someone could come up with a moveset without a mech, but it might be tough.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Yes, villains are a must when it comes to series. Though, my question is how do we make Porky feel fitting to the game's fighting style? It would be awkward fighting him in the same machine he used in Brawl.
This right here is what stops porky from being a decent candidate. He can't do anything without the mech. He'd be a joke character at best if he was put in without it.
The only real eligible villain that can represent MOTHER would be the Masked Man. Or the New Age Retro Hippie.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well, for starters his EB mech is like a quarter of the size of his MO3 and brawl one.

Then there's the less than likely but awesome doc-oc porky, that would be pretty unique.

Lastly, I'm sure someone could come up with a moveset without a mech, but it might be tough.
Hey if it works and fits then by all means put Porky in.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This right here is what stops porky from being a decent candidate. He can't do anything without the mech. He'd be a joke character at best if he was put in without it.
The only real eligible villain that can represent MOTHER would be the Masked Man. Or the New Age Retro Hippie.
There's always the Earthbound mech, which is much smaller. I don't think Porky's ineligible at all. If anything, the mech would make him stand out a lot more. No one in Smash uses a mech yet.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Forgot to mention, the machine Porky uses in Brawl would be perfect as a Final Smash (not destionation), well, to me at least.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There's always the Earthbound mech, which is much smaller. I don't think Porky's ineligible at all. If anything, the mech would make him stand out a lot more. No one in Smash uses a mech yet.
Can't believe I forgot about that...and I call myself an Earthbound fan. :ohwell:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670

I'm all for variety, but I'd personally rather not have a bowser-sized porky. I'm just doubting his inclusion as a possible character when we've already seen him as a previous boss. Especially when it's traveling a bit backwards (M3 -> M2)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, time travel.

Also did you just use the "was a boss can't be playable" excuse? Because that's a weak argument.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Well, time travel.

Also did you just use the "was a boss can't be playable" excuse? Because that's a weak argument.

I myself believe that bosses have a lower chance of being in the game; I'm not basing my arguing on that. That's pretty much the equivalent of Ridley being thrown in the game when we've already seen his monstrous size compared to the other characters (and yet he's still highly demanded).

As for the time travel thing, wouldn't he still be old in that case? Even though he does still keep his old mech in his river of memories, I suppose he could just switch over, but I doubt it has life support.

Hong

The Strongest
Well the "online somewhere" is a lie and Itoi has never ever stated that. He deliberately made an effort to leave the relation between Ninten and Ness open to interpretation. At most, the story can leave us to speculate that Ana and Ninten are the mother and father of Ness, though it has never been officially stated. Also there is no evidence to state that he likes Porky more than many of his other creations.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I myself believe that bosses have a lower chance of being in the game; I'm not basing my arguing on that. That's pretty much the equivalent of Ridley being thrown in the game when we've already seen his monstrous size compared to the other characters (and yet he's still highly demanded).

Please tell me you didn't just use the "Ridley's too big" argument...

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Please tell me you didn't just use the "Ridley's too big" argument...

I believe I just did.
Smash is linear.
He was given a clear size.
They aren't going to change it to satisfy fans.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I believe I just did.
Smash is linear.
He was given a clear size.
They aren't going to change it to satisfy fans.
Despite the fact that he can't even keep a consistent size in Smash itself? Look at the Melee intro. Look at the cutscene right before the Ridley fight. Look at Ridley's in-battle model. Look at Meta Ridley's. Every one of these designs is a different size. Smash Bros. doesn't follow canon. Need I bring up Olimar and Bowser, and most of the Pokemon for that matter? But seriously, just check out the Ridley thread.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Despite the fact that he can't even keep a consistent size in Smash itself? Look at the Melee intro. Look at the cutscene right before the Ridley fight. Look at Ridley's in-battle model. Look at Meta Ridley's. Every one of these designs is a different size.

All 3 sizes still portray him as being larger than the entire roster.
And I believe it is very canon for Bowser to change sizes between games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All 3 sizes still portray him as being larger than the entire roster.
And I believe it is very canon for Bowser to change sizes between games.
Ridley changes sizes, as well. Do you really think Sakurai would say, "Wow, fans want Ridley. If only I didn't make him a boss in the last game, he could have been playable. What to do..." No. He'd just put Ridley in. Smash isn't canon at all.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
If that was Sakurai's actual thought process, we'd see a lot of melee veterans return in smash4. But hey, if characters like that do actually make it, then I'm wrong. Simple as that.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well the "online somewhere" is a lie and Itoi has never ever stated that. He deliberately made an effort to leave the relation between Ninten and Ness open to interpretation. At most, the story can leave us to speculate that Ana and Ninten are the mother and father of Ness, though it has never been officially stated. Also there is no evidence to state that he likes Porky more than many of his other creations.
I swear that I did read that somewhere... Oh well, not like it was accurate to begin with.

But I really do belive he does find porky to be one of his more interesting creations... I think... someone said that in the porky thread.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Generic size comments
Is... is this really happening? People aren't content with dumbing down the Ridley thread with the worst argument to grace the Smash fandom, so now they're letting it spill out into other threads?

Come on Xermo. You seem like a reasonable guy, you should know better. Cut it out plz kthx.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If that was Sakurai's actual thought process, we'd see a lot of melee veterans return in smash4. But hey, if characters like that do actually make it, then I'm wrong. Simple as that.
You know Sakurai, stated that he regrets/hates cutting characters, cause he knows somebody will miss them, he tried to fit more characters in Brawl, but there were most likely time contrainst. Characters like mewtwo and Roy were planned to return, but couldn't because, their wasn't enough time to fully create them.

Anyways, Porky would fit, because it's what connects Lucas and Ness, to their games, they have the same antagonist, against them I should say.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally pick Ninten, as I feel as if something needs to represent the first Mother, and his moveset could be the most diverse out of the three.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Sure, Mother is a "dying" franchise, but adding Lucas to Brawl kept it still breathing, if they add Claus maybe we will finally get it outside of Japan and revive the series, so Masked Man definitely, he also has an interesting moveset, while Ninten would have the same moveset as Lucas and Ness, probably replacing freeze and flash with beam.
I made a Ninten moveset that is totally diferent than Ness's

Special - QuickUp

Ninten raises both its running speed and attack speed, at the cost of bigger tripping chance. It could have been used on allies, so on team battles it may be used on them if Ninten touches his ally while performing the move. (But will only affect his partner)

Side Special - 4th-D Slip

Ninten runs very fast and continues running if special is held. It works as if Ninten is constantly dodging, so he cant be hit. However, if being used for too many time, Ninten will start to take damage and fall on his "dead" stance (the one when you are hit by a strong attack and lays on ground) or become helpless if used in the air.

Up Special - Teleport

Ninten runs and then reappears on another location, coming out from a portal. He leaves a trail of fire that damages enemies if used in the ground. In the air, he can run in any direction, not only forwards, but becomes helpless after using it.

Down Special - PowerShield

Ninten casts an invisible shield around him for a small amount of time (around 10 seconds). Instead of reflecting projectiles, it reflects physical attacks. Its sort of a counter.

Final Smash - Eight Melodies

Ninten sings the eight melodies, doing heavy damage (around 100%) to all enemies (even if they are shielding / dodging), and lefting them on their death animation.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'd be more content with porky because he canonically already is so much different than Ness and Lucas, he is a villain, he connects the destiny of Ness and Lucas, his spider mech would be unique, he has already appeared in the smash universe and gained some recognition, his final smash could feature either the new pork city statue or more likely giygas/giegue, and he is one of the few reappearing characters (also Mother 1's characters were obvious expies to Mother 2 characters.) About his size: Is brawl he had to be scaled up over 4 times his size to be a worthy boss. His Earthbound Mech is smaller than his mother 2 mech, but his mother 2 mech isn't even that large.

I think he should be powerful and slow in mech but from the beginning the mech has the top off of it and his Up B leaves him rocketed up but sacrifices his mech (Like Belay for the ice climbers...except a mech instead of a girl.... um...yeah...) so he would become weaker, slightly faster (And without a true up B anymore) and feature the sword from the masked man/dark 'incomprehensible' attacks from giygas. (The previous earthbound characters borrow moves from their parties.)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I was thinking about something. If all other main PK users from Mother appeared in Smash, would they all need to be Lucas-like clones of Ness? So I tried to make a moveset for every one of them, without them having any similiar attack to others. Lets see if it would work.

First, what are the PK users of the Mother series? Ninten, Ana, Ness, Paula, Poo, Lucas and Kumatora. A total of 7. And there are 33 diferent PK abilities in the Mother series. Each character needs 5 attacks, so we need 35 diferent abilities. It is not possible to all of them to be diferent. But I incorporated praying as Paula's Final Smash and The Eight Melodies as Ninten's Final Smash, shrinking the needed total to 33, exactly what we have. Still, I'm not satisfied. The movesets will be limited to abilities they actually use, so it will be harder. Let's see what every character can learn. If there's some ability that is exclusive to some character that character will be given that ability.

Ninten

Telepathy
Lifeup
Hypnosis
Healing
Defense Up
Defense Down
4th-D Slip (exclusive to him)
PSIShield
QuickUp (exclusive to him)
Offense Up
PowerShield
Teleport

Ana

Telepathy
Lifeup
PK Freeze
PK Thunder
Brainshock
PSIShield
PK Beam (exclusive to her)
Healing
PSI Magnet
PSI-Block (exclusive to her)
Hypnosis
Paralysis
PK Fire
Shield-Off (exclusive to her)
Darkness (exclusive to her)
Teleport

Ness

Lifeup
Hypnosis
PSI Rockin (exclusive to him)
Healing
Shield
Paralysis
PK Flash
Teleport

Paula

PK Freeze
PK Fire
PSI Shield (not the same one that Ninten and Ana have)
PK Thunder
PSI Magnet
Offense Up
Pray (Non-PSI ability)

Poo

PK Freeze
PK Thunder
Lifeup
Healing
Shield
Teleport
PSI Magnet
Brainshock
PK Starstorm
Mirror (Non-PSI ability)

Also, I made his Final Smash the "King Items".

Lucas

Offense Up
Defense Up
Lifeup
Shield
Healing
Counter (exclusive to him)
PSI Shield (the one Paula has)
PSI Counter (exclusive to him)
Refresh (exclusive to him)
PK Love (exclusive to him)
PK Flash

Kumatora

PK Fire
PK Freeze
Lifeup
PK Thunder
Healing
Offense Down (exclusive to her)
Paralysis
Defense Down
Hypnosis
Brainshock
PSI Magnet
PK Ground (exclusive to her)
PK Starstorm (not exclusive to her, but sure to go in her moveset because Poo has another one)

Now let's make the movesets! I will first give them their exclusive abilities, and them put in the rest.

Ninten

Neutral B - QuickUp

Ninten raises his speed, but may trip when running. Random tripping has been removed, but may be caused by attacks.

Side B - 4th-D Slip

Ninten runs very fast and is constantly dodging. He may run for a lot of time. However, he will start to take damage by using it too much and may fall on his "death" stance. In the air, he may get helpless.

Up B - ???

Down B - ???

Final Smash - Eight Melodies

Ninten sings the eight melodies and does great damage to all enemies.

Ana

Neutral B - PK Beam

Ana can charge a beam and shoot. Weak charging does small damage and knockback, medium charging does medium damage and knockback, really close to fully charged is a 1-hit KO, and fully charged does high damage and knockback.

Side B - Shield-Off

Shoots a ball of PK that damages and puts off enemy shields. Works with normal shields and any sort of shielding moves like Fox's reflector.

I will continue this later.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe you forgot about Porky, Giegue, Masked Man, Jeff, Lloyd, Teddy, Flint, Boney and Duster.... :T

And maybe a few other Earthbound/Mother main characters who slipped my mind....

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I decided to do it just to the PK users, the others are easy enough to be made diferent. The others are near impossible to be made clones of Ness.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh if that's the case then I guess. Mostly because Ness and Lucas themselves got "taught" by their friends on how to perform these attacks. If they used their own abilities then they shouldn't really. Kinda sad though how they would be considered clones since technically they taught Ness and Lucas how to perform these attacks. According to Sakurai at least.

If I recall correctly, Masked Man and Giegue can also use PSI attacks though.

Ah well, then, my apologies for the misunderstanding then.

By the way, there already is an Earthbound/Mother discussion thread where you can post this. The mods might not like having this in a separate thread...

Here --> http://www.smashboards.com/threads/mother-character-discussion-thread.328108/

Oh, well looks like N3ON helped herself. ^^;

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Creating another thread for this topic was unnecessary Tepig2000, so your thread has been merged.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Sure, Mother is a "dying" franchise, but adding Lucas to Brawl kept it still breathing, if they add Claus maybe we will finally get it outside of Japan and revive the series, so Masked Man definitely, he also has an interesting moveset, while Ninten would have the same moveset as Lucas and Ness, probably replacing freeze and flash with beam.
this is mostly what I think

if we get masked man i could honestly see mother 3 coming to the U.S. ; the translator's even said they'd do it for free and nintendo has said nothing bad in response nor put it down

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
this is mostly what I think

if we get masked man i could honestly see mother 3 coming to the U.S. ; the translator's even said they'd do it for free and nintendo has said nothing bad in response nor put it down
I doubt masked man would be added if a villain was added, it would probably be porky. He connects both lucas and ness, and with megaman we already have two characters with arm cannons and the masked would make the third (People don't like the sword wielders despite it being a legitimate weapon.) Masked man also has claus as one of lucas's recolors and he isn't the 'main' villain of either game. Plus porky's mech would be very cool to see and would be very unique. Mother doesn't truly need a third character just yet. Maybe a few installments down the line and especially if Itoi decided to continue the franchise.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Not happening

Also I've went over this before but he's basically the main villain of Mother 3. Porky's only a backdrop villain of 3 and he's just there in Mother 2.
Really? You don't see it maybe happening if Smash stays alive till smash 5/smash 6? And I know another mother isn't going to happen. I said if. To be honest I like how it ended. Giygas could be considered a backdrop villain of earthbound, but he is plenty memorable. Masked man has no relation to Ness and would be giving too much recognition to mother 3. With porky mech with giygas as his final smash that covers all 3 games in some form, connects the two main protagonists we already have (I don't see Ninten making it in for visual reasons and moveset ...He has 4th D slip... but the rest they will probably get from his party members like ness/lucas.) I do not think it is fair to represent a single game in the series when the first one has no representation. (Also the WiiU would probably get an earthbound stage and the 3DS will probably get a Mother 3 stage, don't you think?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom