• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to be playing as the character or do you want to play as someone that is only Porky in name only?
Well, as long as his moveset is based on his machines from the games, I'll be okay with that. For showing his personality, then can do what they did with Luigi (facial expressions, taunts, idle animations etc.) and give him a fitting role in the Adventure mode.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't understand the comparison.
I wasn't the biggest fan of the changes made to the Starfox characters, like Fox's Mickey Mouse combat boots. I'm having a bit of a tough time picture some combination of the two mechas, especially considering that Heavily Armed Porky looked way more organic in appearance compared to the technological model in MOTHER 3.

Well, as long as his moveset is based on his machines from the games, I'll be okay with that. For showing his personality, then can do what they did with Luigi (facial expressions, taunts, idle animations etc.) and give him a fitting role in the Adventure mode.
What I'm saying is that design of his mecha, whatever it may be, must be designed to where Porky is protected from physical attacks. The mecha can take damage, but he shouldn't directly suffer.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't the biggest fan of the changes made to the Starfox characters, like Fox's Mickey Mouse combat boots. I'm having a bit of a tough time picture some combination of the two mechas, especially considering that Heavily Armed Porky looked way more organic in appearance compared to the technological model in MOTHER 3.
Well, I didn't say a full combination of the two. I said a mech that combines features of the two.
Though looking at the two now, I'm having difficulties seeing what can be done.....

As for the "Do you want to be playing as the character or do you want to play as someone that is only Porky in name only?" issue, it makes no difference to me whether Porky isn't being cowardly hiding behind something or not.
It couldn't be any worse than Captain Falcon, who not only barely represents the series he hails from with his attacks (outside of drawing connections, but how many people do that?) but has completely different characterization. Compare his hot-blooded temperament in Smash to his comically serious temperament in F-Zero GX, and you'll see what I mean.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I honestly think Captain Falcon is the way he is simply because he got what was left of Dragon King. Isn't Captain Falcon lacking in personality in his games along with the rest of the cast? If that's the case, that strikes me as a clean slate to work with.

Thing with Porky, though, is that he comes from a game series where the story and characterization do matter. Fans of the games are going to notice something's off. To me, him directly fighting where he could be hit in the face is something Porky would've never done in the games. He'd either hide behind is machines or have someone else do the dirty work while trolling his enemy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What I'm saying is that design of his mecha, whatever it may be, must be designed to where Porky is protected from physical attacks. The mecha can take damage, but he shouldn't directly suffer.
I see. Tbh, I actually want him to fight outside his mecha, like in that picture on the previous page. I reminds me too much of Dr. Octopus from Spider-Man. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

In F-Zero GX, characters are given personality. (And yes, I'm aware GX came after even Melee, but notably, the game didn't use Falcon's Smash personality.)
Falcon's is being comically serious in comparison to how crazy the other characters can get (for example, his Smash characterization matches Goroh's characterization rather than his own). He prefers to settle disputes with races than with violence (unless he's bounty hunting, but it's more of an implied character trait).

As for the Dragon King thing, more and more I'm doubting Dragon King had much of an influence on Falcon. None of the images of the character models seem to really fit any of Falcon's animations in 64.

EDIT: Now don't get me wrong, I'd rather see some sort of mech for him since it would be awesome.
I'm just saying that the route of him going Doc Ock style isn't that unreasonable regardless of his cowardice.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I mean... Smash Bros is not about characters showing off their personalities accurately. I don't recall ever playing a Super Mario game where Mario hits his princess off a cliff with a baseball bat.

That being said...
PORKY MECH.​

D

Deleted member

Lol.
I was actually just thinking of something like that. The spider-backpack thing made me think of something.
The Iron Spider armor from Marvel comics.

So, if Porky being left exposed is an issue, instead of just having the spider-backpack....have it be full-on armor as well. Covers both issues; it's more feasible than a mech, and Porky is not fighting while leaving himself open for pain.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Porky can't get in cause he's too big now?

Wat?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Porky can't get in cause he's too big now?

Wat?
No one said that. We were discussing whether the mech should be a part of his moveset or not, whether he should fight like the DA picture posted on the previous page.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I would rather the newcomer from the Mother series be Claus/Masked Man.

Paula, Jeff and Poo already lost their chances during the N64 and Melee era's of the Smash Bros series. Kumatora has a better chance.

Hong

The Strongest

I felt this series deserves its own thread, so here it is.

This is where you come to discuss the Mother series, and its representation in Super Smash Bros, in its entirety. While character-specific topics exist, this is the place to go to talk about things on a greater scope. Character comparison, items, stages, design direction, music, etc. I think the fact that development of the Mother series has effectively ceased makes it all the more vital that it is given attention. There is no more consideration for what is old, fresh or coming up. Aside from re-releases, until someone steps up to the bat for Mother 4 the series is over. What you see is what you get. The fobby is out of the bag.

I have many things I want to talk about, but first I just want to invite people to talk about their thoughts and hopes. New characters, changes for old characters, what items they liked, what stages they hope for... you are the chosen one!

Edit - Merged with an existing thread.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
For new characters, my most wanted Mother characters are in my signature, but I doubt they'll happen. :p

One thing I want to talk about that's Mother related is on new stages. I think Ness will definitely get a new stage in SSB4 since Onett is almost certainly not returning. I'm personally hoping for a Twoson stage as it's my favorite town in Earthbound, but I also think a Giygas Battle stage would be epic [and creepy] or a Scaraba stage. I think we'll most likely get a Saturn Valley stage though, i don't really know why, I just have a hunch. If New Pork City doesn't return, then Lucas would need a new Mother 3 stage. I think Osohe Castle, Tazmily Village, or a Tane Tane Island stage would be cool. I hoping they make Tazmily because a). It could be like Delphino Plaza and take you around to different parts of the town and b). it would most likely have some Mother 3's amazing music.

I'm also hoping the original Mother game gets a little more representation...

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
One thing I want to talk about that's Mother related is on new stages. I think Ness will definitely get a new stage in SSB4 since Onett is almost certainly not returning.
How about bringing back Fourside?

And if Mewtwo comes back, we can just call him Giegue and claim some sort of victory. This series takes anything it can get.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
How about bringing back Fourside?

And if Mewtwo comes back, we can just call him Giegue and claim some sort of victory. This series takes anything it can get.

I'd be fine if they brought Fourside back, but I'd rather Onett return because it was my favorite stage in Melee. Plus I'd love to see how it would look with added details in HD.

Haha true, at least Mother had the Ruined Zoo in SSE...

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
I would love Fourside to return (unlikely).

Truthfully, the only character I could see would be Ninten to represent Mother 1 as Ness does for Mother 2 and Lucas for Mother 3. Pokey would be much appreciated if he got in the game and I hope Jeff stays as an assist trophy.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Gonna go out on a limb here and say Osohe castle for Smash 4. Either that or actually make the abandoned zoo a playable stage.
They really do need to make a better Mother 3 stage, I don't really care what it is as long as it isn't New Jumble-of-Random-Platforms City.

BTW, your avatar is one of my personal favorite pieces of favorite Mother 1 artwork out there, just thought I'd mention that :laugh:

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
They really do need to make a better Mother 3 stage, I don't really care what it is as long as it isn't New Jumble-of-Random-Platforms City.
True. The stage was rather empty and bland. I do secretly hope it returns though because I love seeing the Ultimate Chimera kill all those unfortunate souls lol.

Hong

The Strongest
Ah, so my thread was merged. I understand.

Anyways, I think the current state of the series, and how this game is being developed, means everything we have seen from the series thus far will be thrown out the window. Mother 3 came out seven years ago, now. Nothing in the series is really too old or too fresh. Everything should be judged on its own merit, and I think they will look at what offers the best gameplay possible. For better or worse, I don't think they will take the fact EarthBound is the only international release into consideration, even with its VC rerelease. With that said, i think it is actually very reasonable to expect an M1 stage or music.

More important than new characters, I think we need a change of pace. The character design for the Mother characters hasn't worked since SSB64. As players get better, they become weak. They have too little reach and not enough to compensate. Too easy to attack, too easy to defend against, too easy to gimp. Unlike other characters of similar stature, they have no speed or abilities ideal for approach. There has to be change.

Like, imagine how difficult it would be to design Pit if he came into Smash Bros looking like he did in the 80s. They allowed a fresh interpretation of the character, giving him longer limbs and a kit suitable for the environment he is in. I kind of want them to go with a re-envisioned Ninten as our Mother representative, kind of a fresh start. A character that is a head taller than Ness and Lucas, but still disproportional. As far as core gameplay goes he should play out like the Mother characters always have, having a distinguished double jump, a certain level of floatiness and strong throws, but more reach on his attacks. His specials need a fresh direction as well. Something like PK Fire and PSI Magnet work, but the recovery and neutral specials needs to be retooled. There are many ways to go about this, such as giving him Teleport (a world-wrapping recovery that works as long as he does not run into a wall near startup) and making PK Thunder a B neutral that can be cancelled, or just completely replacing it.

Whatever happens, there has to be change. Much like with Bowser, the original character design just isn't going to work no matter how much they tweak numbers. :/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Someone pointed out that Onett might not return, which makes me sad. :(

It's my favourite of the Mother stages.

CalumG

Smash Lord
To what people were saying earlier in the thread - I wouldn't be adverse for Fourside to return, but I'd prefer the return of the Fourside location than the Fourside Smash stage. That is to say, a new stage based on Fourside, that looks a little more like this:

My biggest issue with the Fourside stage in Melee is that it was so generic. It didn't seem like they had made much effort at all to create an accurate representation of the Fourside location. You could literally write Silph Co. down the middle building instead of Monotoli, replace the helicopter and UFO with Pokemon flying around in the background (maybe a train station in the far background if they wanted to go out of their way) and give it this music, and people would be none the wiser that it actually started out development as an Earthbound stage. Aside from a couple of little things, Fourside is not Fourside - it's generic city stage.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree with CalumG. I had the same gripes with Castle Siege in that... it was awesome but didn't capture the source as well as it could have.

I want it to have flush, primary colours and I want something that is not so... washed, dark and dull. Onett was actually pretty good in that it captures EarthBound well for the technology they had at the time, making the most with early knowledge of the Gamecube's capabilities. All the power to make something unique and beautiful is certainly available on the hardware, so I hope they put it to good use.

Hong

The Strongest
It would be pretty trippy if they had Magicant. Aesthetically I would prefer M1's, or they could go with M2s since it is more widely known... or even some combination of the two.

I like it because it is something unique to the Mother franchise.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Magicant and Saturn Valley would both make good stages I think - they're the only two locations that each appear in multiple Mother games, correct? Magicant would obviously take some tweaking to work since the two versions are quite distinct (although a combination of the two, with some elements from all three games thrown in, would be a good way of representing it as a world of the subconscious - the subconscious of Mother fans in this case) but Saturn Valley isn't aesthetically that different between the two games it appears in so it'd work without much alterations.

Just a personal opinion of course - but just as people aren't huge fans of one-time-only characters being in Smash, I'm not a great fan of one-off locations showing up in Smash when they could be representing places with multiple appearances (why has Bowser's Castle still not got a stage? the mind boggles).

Hong

The Strongest
I second the Bowser's castle thing. Even Mario Kart has seen it a few times. o.o Aside from meanings and aesthetics, the amount of ideas I have for such a stage is overwhelming.

My gripe with Saturn Valley is that it needs to have features that make it fun to play on. Like, if you were to ask me to make a stage inspired by Magicant, there is plenty of things to work with that could translate to something fun. When I think of Saturn Valley, I think of strange houses, caves, randomly placed ladders and a hotspring. If you have any ideas for how it could be fun I would love to hear them. I should also throw out that they don't necessarily need to be competitive-friendly. I enjoyed Brawl's Mario Kart stage, for example.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Seriously, the Mother series HAS ENOUGH REPRESENTATION AS IT IS. In fact, THEY HAVE MORE REPRESENTATION THAN NECESSARY!!! :ohwell: Why not allow other series, Like Metroid, Donkey Kong, or better yet, a new series, to take up slots otherwise wasted with too much representation. That goes for characters. That goes for stages. That goes for anything else. They are as good as they are! :urg:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Seriously, the Mother series HAS ENOUGH REPRESENTATION AS IT IS. In fact, THEY HAVE MORE REPRESENTATION THAN NECESSARY!!! :ohwell: Why not allow other series, Like Metroid, Donkey Kong, or better yet, a new series, to take up slots otherwise wasted with too much representation. That goes for characters. That goes for stages. That goes for anything else. They are as good as they are! :urg:
Ah c'mon, I understand if you might think that Mother has more than enough representation as characters, but it's not like Mother have had many stages in the game either, it had one new stage in Brawl, two in Melee and zero in 64.

I personally just want a Mother stage which continuously doesn't kick you in the balls with cars, favor characters with spikes or is so big that it is unplayable. That's why I want Saturn Valley, other than its fantastic music it's also the most peaceful location in Earthbound, where as it also becomes a kind of sanctuary after you rid the place of Pigmasks in Mother 3. Plus, the Mr. Saturn have pretty much become the mascots of the franchise, and it's one of the only reoccuring places in the franchise too, it's only warranted that it becomes a stage.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't quite agree with all that you said, but I do think there does not need to be multiple Mother characters.

I can say I rather them focus on one Mother character... and make them better. It feels like if Ness had the good features of Lucas, he would have still been almost balanced. I want them to just ship one character and make them better balanced and featured, maybe use more of the moves they actually had from their game. If they have multiple Mother characters, they should at least be different and do something only they could do well. I could see Kumatora being a very unique character.

That said, the two items we have seen thus far are great, and the world has many colourful stage ideas that would be great for this instalment. There is no reason for them to bring the old stages forward unless nothing from the existing pool can replicate a fun experience that was from the past.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I don't necessarily agree with the idea of only having one Mother character, though I do think Lucas and Ness could use further differentiation. As a series which by its very nature has multiple protagonists that change per installment, I think it'd be an injustice to only have one Mother hero playable. Earthbound may have been the only one to see worldwide release, but it's still only one of a trilogy, so I think Ness would be inadequate to represent the series by himself - especially considering how Sakurai seemed to show a soft spot for Mother 3 when it came to representation in Brawl.

But hey, I'm biased - if I had my way, Mother would get Ninten as a third rep, completing it's presence on the Smash roster and repping all three games nicely. Gotta keep things in perspective though, so for the time being I'll just say I'd rather the Mother series stayed as it is in terms of character reps, and they just further changed Ness and Lucas.

Hong

The Strongest
I absolutely love Mother, but you would indeed have to essentially flip the table to change them to keep them unique. New moves are simply not enough; it would likely mean a Lucas with a completely different fighting style. I am talking drastic; significant increase in ground speed, faster falling, more reliance on physical strikes. At this point, do you want to repackage it as Lucas, or do you want to just have a new character to match what people have to learn?

Out of personal opinion, Ninten is my favourite... I would love to see him show up with a completely fresh take on a Mother character... One functions at an increasing skill level, has a new set of strengths and weaknesses. Different presentation and ideas. Of course I would still the themes of a kid with a courageous heart and a powerful psychic mind; he still has to be Ninten. But I kind of want a re-envisioning, like with the example I used earlier with Pit. If not that, at the very least the existing characters really need to be looked at... given the Bowser treatment.

Maybe after that we can talk Nintendo into releasing M1. It's already translated by them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
While a new Mother rep is probably not happening, new stages are most likely a thing. Since many stages aren't going to return, we may be seeing new stages for many series, MOTHER included.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't necessarily agree with the idea of only having one Mother character, though I do think Lucas and Ness could use further differentiation. As a series which by its very nature has multiple protagonists that change per installment, I think it'd be an injustice to only have one Mother hero playable. Earthbound may have been the only one to see worldwide release, but it's still only one of a trilogy, so I think Ness would be inadequate to represent the series by himself - especially considering how Sakurai seemed to show a soft spot for Mother 3 when it came to representation in Brawl.

But hey, I'm biased - if I had my way, Mother would get Ninten as a third rep, completing it's presence on the Smash roster and repping all three games nicely. Gotta keep things in perspective though, so for the time being I'll just say I'd rather the Mother series stayed as it is in terms of character reps, and they just further changed Ness and Lucas.
An Injustice would be, say, Golden Sun not get a rep while Mother gets 2.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think the next Mother character that should be added is one that does not use PSI. Such as Duster or Jeff Andonuts, where either would bring some different move sets along with the rest of the cast.

D

Deleted member

Ninten is probably going to be in SSB4 because:

Ness - SSB64

Lucas - Was supposed to be in Melee, but was cut due to MOTHER 3 being cancelled for the N64/N64DD, and then Brawl

So it would kinda make sense to have all three main protagonists from the first three games in SSB4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom