• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
King Dedede lacks his own official Social Thread for his glorious Smash 4 appearance? This is blasphemous! No... Treasonous! It must be remedied!

To kick things off, I'll introduce myself. I'm shrooby, and Dedede was my main for much of Brawl's lifetime before I began focusing more on Diddy Kong a little more than two years ago. The King, however, remained my most passionate secondary to the point I would almost call him a "second main."

Main or not, Dedede is one of my favorite video game characters. His inclusion in Brawl alongside Diddy, another one of my favorite video game characters, were easily the most exciting reveals for me during pre-Brawl. It would seem as though, however, that some of the changes made to Diddy may eliminate of many of the reasons I loved playing as him so much. His Majesty, however, remains as gloriously goofy as I remember him.

While I would occasionally lurk in the Brawl Dedede sub-forum to learn some of the ropes of play, I never actually actively contributed to the community. I would like that to change this time, however! His chain grabs may be gone, but the core reasons I loved playing as him seem to remain, and I look forward to at least keeping him as, again, a very passionate secondary if not my overall main.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone both veterans of and new to The Great King! Make yourself at home and enjoy your time at Mount Dedede!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Great idea Shrooby!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm MaskO'. I've been a Dedede fan since Kirby's Adventure, and was all to thrilled to play him in Brawl, and like the rest of you, I look forward to playing him in SSB4.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
what dreamland minority squad.

i mained d3 the latter half of the brawl years. he was one of the few high tier that actually had an aggressive play style so that drew me too him, that and his troll ass facial expression.

im extremely hype to play the penguin in sm4sh.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm Tech_Chase. Some may know me as one of the Brawl Dededes who helped shaped his metagame. I really enjoyed the character and put a lot of effort into him. Many called me an encyclopedia of Dedede knowledge. I'm hoping he gets the changes he needs in this game. Looking forward to seeing how he develops. Nice to meet err'body.

Last edited:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I am Jellyfishn! So far I am a Shulk main, but Dedede is one of my secondaries. Mained him for a while in Brawl and love his facial expressions in this game.

Also, looks like the Dedede glitch has been posted about in another thread, but I find it hilarious so I am posting it again X)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmmoFVkiGo

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm Tech_Chase. Some may know me as one of the Brawl Dededes who helped shaped his metagame. I really enjoyed the character and put a lot of effort into him. Many called me an encyclopedia of Dedede knowledge. I'm hoping he gets the changes he needs in this game. Looking forward to seeing how he develops. Nice to meet err'body.
It's nice to meet ya!
I do remember you from reading your posts during my ol' lurking days years ago. You helped me learn a lot back then, so thanks for that!

If I may ask, what are some of the changes you were thinking Dedede needed?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Thank you, I appreciate that. And ayyy the D3 community tended to be lurkers, its all good.

What do think he needed in Brawl? I'll tell ya!

Needed just one decent close range attack. D-Tilt had good start up but bad ending lag. And who's Jab started on Frame 16?? It was situational at best. D3's melee range options were poor.

His KO options were in a similar boat. Up-Tilt looked great on paper but was so telegraphed, it was hard to land as a KO move against many of the characters who terrorized him in Brawl. Why would a Diddy be directly above you? Etc etc. I can definitel see why he gained all the hype in 2008-09. But afterwards...people got smarter.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
(I actually made a social for Dedede the same day he was revealed. It's been dead for months now though :p)

Anyway though, the story of me and King Dedede is a little bit of an oddball one. I was hardly familiar with any of Nintendo's franchise at the time I got my first Smash game (Melee) and though they all got me curious Kirby in particular had always really interested me. I remember seeing Dedede's trophy in Melee, I really found myself liking his design for some reason. I loved Penguins and I loved cartoon violence such as that of Tom & Jerry and the various games made by Nintendo, which of course includes Melee itself, so I guess it only made sense for me to like a giant cartoonish Penguin with a huge mallet based on that design alone. :p

I had always hoped a new Super Smash Bros. game would come to arise and that Dedede (and Meta Knight among other characters) would land a playable role in it. My wish came true when Brawl came around, and the personality and antics that Dedede displayed in SSE made me come to truly love the character, he quickly became my main after I played through the last bits of the SSE primarily as him. I just loved sending everyone flying around with that huge mallet. I was a pretty bad player up until 2011 though....I kept refusing myself to use shield/dodging tactics, I focused mostly on trying to land the most powerful attacks (namingly Smash attacks) and I wasn't really able to improve my skills as I could never go anywhere to play any other real players and I couldn't get my Wii's online to work up until 2011. When I did finally start playing online that year I began to realize how bad I really was and that I needed to improve. As Dedede had been my main since nearly the beginning I decided to stick with him among my other mains in developing my skills. Fortunately, as I did begin to improve them I found new ways to utilize King Dedede's moves, including his specials and began to make greater use of aerials. I still found myself loving King Dedede's playstyle after all that.

Going back briefly to before I could get online, I got Super Star Ultra shortly after it came out, and began to get several other Kirby games (both old and new) over the next few years, as well as started watching the anime. I could finally truly appreciate King Dedede's character now that the Kirby series finally became a part of my life.

Even with all the amazing newcomers in this installment, and the amount of changes King Dedede has received (most of which I think were good decisions anyway) I'm still fully intent on using him as one of my top mains once again. I've stuck with him from Brawl's very beginning to the end of it's online services, I certainly won't be leaving him behind in the new games!

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
(I actually made a social for Dedede the same day he was revealed. It's been dead for months now though :p)

You... You serious...?
*checks*

Damn it, shrooby!
Why didn't you just scroll down!?
Why did you just assume that a social thread would've been stickied by now?!
The one time I decide to not be incredibly meticulous!

Well... If your thread and this one could be merged... That would be cool...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

You... You serious...?
*checks*

Damn it, shrooby!
Why didn't you just scroll down!?
Why did you just assume that a social thread would've been stickied by now?!
The one time I decide to not be incredibly meticulous!

Well... If your thread and this one could be merged... That would be cool...
To be fair it has been dead for quite a few months now as I said. And yours has come off to a much better start than mine did.

So no worries. A merge would also be cool. :p

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
To be fair it has been dead for quite a few months now as I said. And yours has come off to a much better start than mine did.

So no worries. A merge would also be cool. :p
A merge would be nice just so that what little was said here doesn't get tossed away like a bowl of soggy cereal.
Though I don't expect it for at least a little bit (if it will happen).This thread should've been either locked, stickied, or merged by now, and the fact that is hasn't yet is rather surprising. I guess the D3 sub-forum is dead with regards to moderator activity as well. Haha!

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Whippersnappers. Back in my day, our social thread was called Club Penguin.

I'm a Dedede main from the Brawl days. Come and go, always keeping an eye on the competitive scene and testing new things while Smashing with friends. I've been a fan of the King ever since the first Kirby games I played: I remember being shocked that the "final boss" I thought we were supposed to vanquish had good, if misguided, intentions all along. His powerhouse play style appeals to me, and I'm excited to see how he fares in the new game. Dedede is definitely one of my planned mains, so I'll be around.

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Dedede is definitely a character I will use. They've changed so many of his moves, he feels like a whole new and refreshing character.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Well, I guess we gotta try to keep the D3 sub-forum alive!

I suppose you could call me a D3 main from Brawl, although I didn't really get active (if you could call it that) in the scene until just this past year, and my main games are Melee and PM. Still main the great king in PM though, he's such a goofy character and my favorite from the Kirby series. Something about his gameplan really clicked with me once I adjusted to his weird feel he had in Brawl.

I'm really digging how Smash 4 feels right now, even if I only have access to the demo. I can't wait to dig my teeth into the changes this new game will bring for Dedede.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
Sup guys! I'm shazam! I didn't really play Brawl all that seriously, but when I did play for funzies, I picked Dedede. He's also my secondary in PM. He looks really fun in Sm4sh so I'll definitely be playing the good king.

Vorpal Lyric

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone. I'm a midwest smasher that goes by the name of Lyric. I was really active in the local competitive scene in the indiana/ohio/kentucky area the first few years after the Brawl release as a D3 main. I actually never did post in the character forums though specifically, but I lurked pretty often. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the new game so I can see how the king has changed! Sad to see the chaingrab and his priority pringle bair go, but overall I like how his new moveset looks! Gonna try to be more active here and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to how the king's meta evolves over the next few months.

Unresolved

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unresolved
3DS FC
4596-9792-3892
While D3 wasn't my main in Brawl, he was definitely one of the characters I played the most. I look forward to playing as him in Smash 4 as the changes he's gotten seem pretty darn solid.

Last edited:

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
Yes, I am among my people...

Yo! You can call me ROB, I've been a fan if smash since 64, when it fell in love with the kirby franchise. Dedede ended up as one of my favorite characters to use in Brawl and I plan on focusing on him more in this game. I'm so happy that Dedede is more expressive this time around!

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I played with him a little in Brawl but never got anywhere good, I'd love to learn how to use him in 4!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
The more I play him the more I like him...again. Don't get me wrong I love Dedede but if I end up maining him it'll be like wow, all these cool new characters and I'm back with KING DAYDAYDAY?

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The more I play him the more I like him...again. Don't get me wrong I love Dedede but if I end up maining him it'll be like wow, all these cool new characters and I'm back with KING DAYDAYDAY?
Just let it happen, man.
Embrace the King's girth.

With Dedede's variety of changes this time around, I'd loosely qualify him as "new."
And he's unarguably "cool."
So even if you main Dedede you'd still be maining a "cool new character." :4dedede:

ndayday

BRoomer
Cool new old character.

but it's true. I think I'd be okay with this.

also it might be just that it's online but I'm having very strange success with down b. I've found that charging it and then clawing the 3ds to jump while approaching with it makes people lose their minds. Shields broken so far: 5 (of course leading into fully charged fsmash :bee: ). People whacked off the ledge so far: 2. People outright killed with it: 3.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Cool new old character.

but it's true. I think I'd be okay with this.

also it might be just that it's online but I'm having very strange success with down b. I've found that charging it and then clawing the 3ds to jump while approaching with it makes people lose their minds. Shields broken so far: 5 (of course leading into fully charged fsmash :bee: ). People whacked off the ledge so far: 2. People outright killed with it: 3.
Seems like it could be one of those moves people just see so sparingly, so when they do see it they start thinking "Wait, what? I don't even know what to do! What's happening?!"

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm kinda new to the whole competitive scene, so I don't have a tournament name yet. I want to do something kinda cool, and that is having a fourth of the roster as competitive mains for me. (That's 12 characters, btw.) Anyways, king ddd is one character I definitely want to try and main (along with ness and 10 others I haven't decided on yet). So yeah, any insight on the king would be much appreciated

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
My insight is that if you want to play at a competitive level, don't "main" 12 characters.

Can we talk about how much I like D3's new forward air? That animation is so satisfying. :awesome:

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
My insight is that if you want to play at a competitive level, don't "main" 12 characters.

Can we talk about how much I like D3's new forward air? That animation is so satisfying. :awesome:
Ok, (you ruined my dream you monster! Jk) but yes, D3 is definantly going to be a secondary for me. I also noticed the new f-air. Brought back some good memories from kirby.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24

How I end up playing this game is using all the characters all the time. Which means that I end up good with a lot of characters, but a master (hand) of almost none. ROB, D3, and GW are the only ones I truly consider myself "good at".

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
It's gonna be good playing as DDD. He's one of my favorite bad guys in gaming (well, more like a friendly rivalry type of guy with Kirby). Call me crazy, but I disliked his brawl playstyle. But his smash 4 incarnation seems very interesting.

ndayday

BRoomer
Yo Onett kid good luck. I don't think you'll go wrong with Dedede. Do you like big hammers? Do you like whacking people in the face with big hammers? Dedede is for you.

Like...god I love Dedede

Dedede + Little Mac forever

+ Bowser Jr. on the side because he's cool. I think I've found the characters I want to stick with.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I mained Wario and King Dedede in Brawl, and although I'm sad to hear that the king has been nerfed, I'll still represent him. :grin:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Should've posted here earlier. Anyway, I'm Kyo, a Brawl DDD player (actually helped with the MU Chart for him). You'll probably hear more about me later when the game comes out.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
sup weiners good to see yall again those of you who migrated from the brawl boards

i dont think ill be maining dedede in this game cause I live in an area with an active brawl scene and he's just, too different for me to main across games!

but i think ill stick around in the social thread

HEY I WONDER IF ALL THE DDD MAINS WILL END UP BEING REALLY TALL LIKE THEY WERE IN BRAWL?

IM 6'3"

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm of a fairly average height...
Do I at least half-win for just not being very short? :4dedede:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If you're 5'10 or above you're above average for a guy

If you're 5'4 or above you're above average for a girl (which I definitely am LOL)

Source: industrial engineer

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
^This is correct.

Source: am tall and laugh at short people

:4dedede::4dedede::4dedede:

But srsly guys. I'm at work right now and can't put my hands on Sm4sh until I get off. Who's been playing with the good King Derpderpderp already?

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm around 6'1 myself.

I've used Dedede the most so far (Dr. Mario is my second most used charater atm). I've not had much trouble translating my PM Penguin play over here. I will say the up b change where you have to tap up has gotten me killed at couple times now though. >_>

But yeah I think he feels pretty nice. A solid character, doesn't really stand out but also doesn't seem to lag behind. I am a bit worried about the Pac-man matchup, but the only real experience I've had with that was online where the wi-fi lag was seriously messing with my reaction time.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
I'm 5' 11", so there's that. Anyway, is DDD's jet hammer any good in this game, and has his neutral air been buffed?

Top Bottom