• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[moved] SSBB AT Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
ya... i hope this thing is not true. but the good thing is that some tournys (like the ladder at AiB) have rules saying that the one who suicides wins. but the casual tournys probably wouldn't know...
It's true
wait a second... are the glitches in this list that are affected by what controller port you're plugged into for real? For example, a Bowsercide will always go into sudden death if the opponent has a lower numbered port than Bowser? Or if two people grab each other at the exact same time, the winner of the grab is determined by what controller ports they're using? This has to be a joke. Somebody please tell me that's inaccurate.

If this is true, can anybody give an example of this sort of thing occurring in any other video game?
It's true, and it's in pretty much every fighting game. If two players grab on the same frame, then the lower port (player 1) wins. There's a lot of things in this game that are determined by player port (bowsercides/ganoncides/ect, grab super armor, grab priority, ect.)

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
There's a lot of things in this game that are determined by player port (bowsercides/ganoncides/ect, grab super armor, grab priority, ect.)
Yeah, but I see a lot of people go hardcore with this info. I've seen people make "possible doubles port combinations" to make doubles as fair as possible (distributing port advantages "evenly")

This only comes into play on very rare occasions;

It doesn't hurt to know this, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I found this cool thing you can do with pika.I am calling it quickfooting.

It's where you quick attack into an enemy and instantly footstool them. Then if you quick attack again directly downwards it should cancel and allow you to foolstool instantly again(which could be an infinite lock combined with QAC or attack if you so choose.

Im almost positive that a footstool performed on a standing enemy will keep them stunned long enough to quick attack or perform an aerial with no way of escaping.

Problem is I can't really test the lock part very well as mY gamecube controllers broke and all I have is the cumbersome wiimote nunchuck combo.

Here is 2 videos of some VERY BASIC uses of what im talking about.I know I could be so much better with it if I just had a gamecube controller.But you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y616JeZb8a8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d1GPbVw5lQ&feature=user
Ok so I found that if you want to make it into a lock,you have to quick attack slightly diagonally left or right.Going straight down his them too far away(after a while)But make sure your still close enough to footstool when you go either side of them.

This only applies to the lock itself the original quickfooting remains the same.(although still needs more testing,preferabley with a gamecube controller)

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
Snake's infinite grab needs to be taken off. It can be fast falled or airdodged.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Erm....just thought I'd pitch in some tiny amount of info that may or may not be common knowledge-auto-RAR is not exclusive to any button setup. Simply move your control stick in a quick j-curve for a shorthop and you're free to RAR while in place...

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
@digimonkey: I respectfully agree. I intended this thread, since its outset, to be exactly what the title says it is - a reference guide for techniques used in advanced play. At the time of the thread's inception (just one month after Brawl's US release), new techs and information were still exploding out of nowhere, hyped by many players and used by many more the hopes that they might grow into something useful. I documented all of the legit tips with exactly those hopes in mind.

Looking at the state of Brawl now, though - and how little all of this stuff has changed even high-level play - the list feels more like a compilation of non-obvious information rather than advanced technique.

The techniques are "advanced" in the sense that they are "not basic" and "not obvious," but they're hardly advanced in terms of the difference between what play looks like with and without them. Take a look at the tourney videos from February and the tourney videos from June. Not a whole lot of non-obvious tech in either one. If the information in this thread was "truly" advanced, it would significantly change not only the way we look at Brawl, but the way we play it, right? Right.

However, in defense of the efforts of smashers 'round the world, the information contained here has led to a greater understanding of Brawl's mechanics and has deepened our understanding of what makes its clock tick. Whether or not each entry adds gobs of strategy to the game, there exist some genuinely advantageous ones that can be used effectively in combat. Ex. Stage-Spike Cargo Throw. Sure, it's not as versatile as an L-cancel, but knowing that you can throw-spike an opponent as D.K. gives you more options than not knowing.

This comes back to the argument that Brawl's non-obvious tech is primarily situational (as opposed to universal), another point with which I agree. In those few situations that an AT can provide an advantageous solution, though, you'll be pretty happy that you know the situational stuff.

I may speak more on the subject later, but for now, I'll go back to playing the hell out of Guilty Gear and King of Fighters. Olympus Over! .... and out.

DarkDefeater

Smash Apprentice
Great post and replies.
In one on one I play defensively. However, in 3 or 4 player matches I throw caution to the winds and play purely offensively....which results in me getting juggled and launched.
Thank you for giving me the info needed to change my gaming method.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
hows about pits arow looping u make his arrows go in loops make 4 arrowas at a time and perform and perfect it so it comes down on ur opponent

R4M3N

Smash Rookie
New Discovery

Oil Slicking/Spilling/Gelling by Neb
How to Perform: Go up to a proxy mine as G&W, and pull out the bucket (down b).
Effect: Snakes claymore is automatically detonated (GaW remains safe)! Its as if the bucket sends out a shock wave of some sort, or spills an invisible oil slick over the space (like the classic Flat Zone?). The distance it works is just about the size of the gas splash from Oil Panic, which is like a G&W and a half. This probably has some similarities to all the other weird occurrences with Snake's dsmash, such as the Perma-explosion.
Note: This can be performed in the air and still works under a platform.
When the mine detonates, G&W still takes damage if he is within the hitbox of the explosion. I'm sure this is already known, but I didn't realize it from the way the original post was worded ("GaW remains safe"). I just thought this should be added since this post is refd in the directory (where I found it).

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
****This is my FINAL UPDATE. I have sold my copy of Brawl and will no longer be updating this guide. I am currently looking for a successor to take over maintenance of the thread should information be discovered in the future. I am only willing to consider highly qualified individuals, (i.e. mods, those with the title of Smash Debater, those with sound logic and posting habits, etc). If you are interested in taking over the guide, PM me or post at the end of the thread by 15 AUG 2008. Happy Brawling.****

Also, why I did not add certain "lock" moves - False Locks allow for an extra hit or two, but do not generally open up flexible combo opportunities. A true lock is a technique that renders the enemy unable to move for a long period of time through hit-stun, long enough to repeat infinitely without fear of punishment. Examples include Laser Lock and Jab Lock. A False Lock is more of a set-up move than an actual lock.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
@whoever is taking up the thread, there are a few new things for Pit that arn't in there. ex. Angelic step and some others.

Over all nice job with what you did here. very organized and put together.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
You need to add this glitch that lets you stay in the air forever with a shell. It only works on half the characters in the game, read the description to see who they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4zf1elLZ8

I didn't show off how well peach can do it, but she can actually ascend alot quicker, I just didn't want my brother to throw that shell at me. Let me know if this glitch was found before July 16, that's when I found it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Jewdo is officially announcing that you are not allowed to discover any new things in Brawl.

Lol.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
final update?! why
I grew tired of Brawl and sold it. Because I no longer have a copy (or interest in the game), I also have no way of testing new information. Without the ability to test new information for validity and usefulness, I am unfit to maintain the guide.

Allow me now to emphasize that this is MY final update, not the thread's final update. When a successor emerges, he/she will have my permission to maintain the thread in my place. The inheritor of the AT thread will then take requests for inclusions, test new information, and edit the existing entries as more details become available. In short, the thread will be updated the same as always, just by someone else.

P.S. - lol @ Twinkletoes. You're such a kidder. ^ ^

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't think anybody has found this glitch b4. I looked at the list of glitches and i didn't see it listed. So I'll post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7KxjfbiUE

This is Ledge Running. Running on the ledge in place w/o falling off.

Well you can do this with any character on any ledge. Basically if you tilt the control stick a little bit down but not too far to crouch your character will run slower. However if you do that on the ledge, you will keep running on the ledge in place.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I don't think anybody has found this glitch b4. I looked at the list of glitches and i didn't see it listed. So I'll post it here.

Well you can do this with any character on any ledge. Basically if you tilt the control stick a little bit down but not too far to crouch your character will run slower. However if you do that on the ledge, you will keep running on the ledge in place.
The ONE tech I found but didn't post. This better be old or I'm gonna cry:(

Sino

Smash Journeyman

Huh is this a AT :confused:. HAHAHAHAHA. You just run slow. That this is a AT really sounds noobish. You also can walk slow. You can also use this for mindgames.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hmm.
Well if nobody else is going to step forward, I will.

I'm interested in succeeding the thread as it were. But I hold *some* reservations, mainly pertaining to how qualified I might be (Or might not be) for the job.

I've done a similar job so far, maintaining a 'Diddy Kong tech' thread (In my sig) in the Diddy Kong subforum, and it doesn't seem too much different, it's just, instead of maintaining things for one character, it'd be for every character.

Still, I find myself spending more and more time on smashboards these days. So I figure I should do something more productive than lurking American tournament threads.

If somebody more qualified/reknowned than me (And that's not a hard feat to accomplish) wants to step up, I'd gladly let them.

I don't have much experience in testing things as you do Jewdo (Which you've done a great job of), but I'm more than willing to give it a try.

EDIT:
I also spend alot of time answering questions in the 'Ask a simple question, get a simple answer' in the General Brawl Discussion and the Need some advice or have a question about something? Post here! thread.

I dunno why. I like being helpful, (or a know it all) lol.

Browny

Smash Hater
eh i got one you could probably add for sonic.

This works on all characters, but its only really noticeable with sonic since he has that unique screeching animation when he stops running. I cant think of a name, so anything involving dash-cancelling forward smash sounds about right :D

anyway all you do, initiate a foxtrot dash by tapping down-diagonal on he control stik and letting it return to neutral. This way sonic will dash, but he wont actually enter his running animation, he just slides across the stage. as soon as sonic enters the screeching animation, press the same direction down diagonal, and cstick fsmash in either direction. It cancels the screech immediately into an fsmash.

I havent been able to cancel this into any other attack except a usmash, but you can cancel a dash into a usmash anyway. This was discovered long ago, dont know by who though. If you feel its classifies as an AT i can get a video up and find when it was first found etc

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
The Comprehensive Guide has a new master, and his name is Vyse. The new thread can be found at the link below. Please visit the new thread in the future, as all of the information has been moved over. Also, any and all new replies to this *old* thread will likely go unnoticed.

[New AT Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom