• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
come on, if there's another link there should be an original moveset for one. or at least semi-original. any thoughts?

I'm sure they're probably gonna change around a move or two, or just change around his existing moves in a way that makes him play differently. What will really be interesting is to what extent will Toon Link retain all his original ATs?

We know that he's keeping some moves to an extent, like his aerial UpB and his Forward Tilt. Looks like he's keeping his up and side taunts too.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Sadly enough, I am not expecting much change. Possibly a move or two. And we already know he isn't going to have a Deku leaf recovery.... *sigh* It's good to see him back though.
Also, we know he is keeping his bow.

Oh, and his bombs... only thing we don't know for specials is side-b....*__*

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Might jsut be me but his bombs seem more effective now.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
no changes. All his weapons are from the iconic Zelsa item set. The only thing I would is make his sword spin more like it is in the game, and make it move more horizontally like DK's up special.

And you can probably give him a different final smash.

buirac

Smash Cadet
The exposed images are a declaration of means: cloning is back.

But that's not the only fact we can take from them. First and most importantly, they give the notion of taking lightly the importance of zelda slots (as according to Sakurai, the number of total characters wouldn't improve much); we can half assume that no ToZ newcomer is landing with this iteration. Second, if someone had the hope of getting a skin system*, just forget it: it's not gonna happen. Third, WW Link is the third (of four) not-obvious-arrival coming from a quite recent expansion of famous saga that targets casual gaming (as every Nintendo hardcore player has already beaten WW), so we can expect that trend to be continued in next revelations. Fourth, if such a superfluous** character as TL has made his way back, should we expect Ike, Lucas, Lucario (my main, by the way), ROB and Wolf slots to remain unchanged? As abundance of newcomers can only be allowed by subsitution (according to Sakurai's words), does that mean we won't get much newcoming? Is the lack of surprise newcoming in the last months proof of that?

Don't misunderstand me, my favourite game is WW. My issue is that his return dooms good expectations for decent newcoming. I was really happy when Sakurai said that the roster wouldn't be expanded, as that would help in keeping a healthy balance, but now I wonder if the price we are paying is worth it...

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
They could just modify the knockback and damage from the moves, it can be somewhat difficult to land a kill move with him. Maybe he will just be.. less floaty, and more fast paced? They really need to just work on making Link a better character, Toon Link wasn't so bad.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
^ Gayness confirmed.

Gotta love the tact and wit of the mods here.

In anycase we don't know what adult Link's side B is. I hope it's that bug from Skyward Sword but who knows.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It's worth remembering that Sakurai said Peach's moveset is liable to be changed by release, maybe Toon Link still has old moves since he was revealed early to coincide with WWHD and it was easier to put in his Brawl moveset now than try to redo it?

Of course I'm a fan of the clone TL from Brawl, so I can't say I'd mind if they didn't reinvent the wheel.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Of course i remember that quote about Peach, but i mainly prefer a character with moves that represents their own games, and have a good playabilty, than having a lazy clone character whos moveset doesnt represent their games, a.k.a. Ganondorf.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
So, if Toon Link is really just gonna be a copy paste moveset from Brawl, and with rumors of the roster not being very big due to the 3DS version,
I can safely say that this is one big fat wasted character slot.

geno

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be so quick to categorize Tink as a "copy paste" from Brawl just yet. We've only seen like 4 of his moves so far from the pictures: Up-B, F-tilt, Bombs and Arrows. Hopefully there will be some surprises for us

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think he'll get a big moveset overhaul, nor do I think he needs one.
Tink feels so drastically different than Link without needing different moves.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
It's kinda disappointing they didn't change more of him but I kinda understand why they didn't.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I don't think he needs change. Fire arrows would be nice, and a faster hook shot retract would help, but I really don't see much they could improve on already. Toon Link feels much different than link, despite special moves.
Oh, and they should give him a new FS. And keep the POGO STICK OF DOOOM!!!!

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
no changes. All his weapons are from the iconic Zelsa item set. The only thing I would is make his sword spin more like it is in the game, and make it move more horizontally like DK's up special.

And you can probably give him a different final smash.
Actually his Up-B is the same as it was in brawl

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
One thing I'm hoping for as much as the the Deku Leaf is Wind Waker Link's jumping perry attack as a meteor smash d-air replacement. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: http://youtu.be/wm54WMXUZMY?t=25s
I think the original one he had in brawl is better thought could they make it more like normal link's since I wasent a fan of rushing downards or maybe it could be like YL's and set people on fire

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
wish he could of had his shield be the mirror shield and that it reflected projectiles instead of only blocking them.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
It could still work on the ground differently. I was just pointing out the only things I'd change.
yeah your right thought it would be cool if it worked like the(what i call)SUPER DUPER SPINNY TOP SLASH MOVE OF DEATH!!!That was in wind waker sort of how project M did it

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
yeah your right thought it would be cool if it worked like the(what i call)SUPER DUPER SPINNY TOP SLASH MOVE OF DEATH!!!That was in wind waker sort of how project M did it
While project m toon link was an improvement over brawl tl, I hated the removal of the POGO STICK OF DOOOM!!!

grizby2

Smash Lord
anything is up for change until release i guess. his moves could just be there for testing and showcasing purposes, kinda like how Mario still has f.l.u.d.d. (i REALLY hope they get rid of f.l.u.d.d.:glare:).

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
now, now those of you who want the deku leaf, it's still possible: he could pull it out after he does the spin slash, and it would slow his descent until his magic runs out
he could also swing the skull hammer for side smash or running a
more an aesthetic change than anything: puts up magic armor when shielding
other than that, i'm not sure

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Giving Toon Link the ability to float using the Deku Leaf and making his side B the Skull Hammer (or including it in his Smashes at least) would make this the first best day after E3!

The current one... well...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So Bombs confirmed. Disappointed, I was hoping for Bombchus.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
^^ Same here. Or the Deku Leaf, which would blow gusts of winds at enemies or deflect objects that are thrown at him. I guess that could be his side B, replacing the boomerang.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
^^ Same here. Or the Deku Leaf, which would blow gusts of winds at enemies or deflect objects that are thrown at him. I guess that could be his side B, replacing the boomerang.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for as well. It would send him into a glide in the air, and on the ground it would blow things away.

Of course, looking at how things are going, I can say with confidence that jack and diddly have significantly changed for TL this time.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Maybe he could use Deku Leaf as his Up B, i can imagine him sending a burst of wind with deku leaf below him that acts like a meteor smash, wich sends him flying for recovery, and then he slows his fall with the deku leaf, like Liets said.
Also i would like to see his grappling hook, instead of the hookshot, but i think this is a minor detail.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I would like to see this happening for Toon Link's moveset down the line.

* Toon Link should have the ability to perform the Hurricane Spin on land. (I mean c'mon, it's his signature attack)
* In the air, after his spin attack he should be able to pull out a Deku Leaf and make a slower landing, covering a larger distance to get back to the stage. Just like Peach and Game & Watch can.
* Besides regular Arrows, Toon Link should be able to fire Ice and Fire arrows too. I would also like for him to have the ability to aim his arrows like a character could whenever they used the Cracker Launcher item.
* When you use the down special, Toon Link will take a bomb out, if you press the down special again while on land, he will release a Bombchu instead which travels on the ground as well as on walls and ceilings.
* Side smash should be him performing the same attack Link did in Smash 64. (And I believe the guy's at Project M did this as well for Toon Link)

The Boomerang is fine the way it is since it doesn't perform the gale effect Link's can. Sure they may not be "drastic" changes as some people seem to want but eh, I'd rather Sakurai doesn't do that, at least for now, he should at least try and luigify him a little.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
So, if Toon Link is really just gonna be a copy paste moveset from Brawl, and with rumors of the roster not being very big due to the 3DS version,
I can safely say that this is one big fat wasted character slot.

What? I don't follow this logic at all.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Though I don't see there being any real change in his move set from Brawl. If anything its A. Link that needs his moves tweaking. T. Link was far superior than Link in Brawl.

Also doesn't Toon Link represent all of the young Link incarnations? So its possible of him having moves from Zelda 1, Majora's Mask, The Oracle games, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass (which is the same Link in Wind Waker), Spirit Tracks (which does have a level), etc.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
The exposed images are a declaration of means: cloning is back.

But that's not the only fact we can take from them. First and most importantly, they give the notion of taking lightly the importance of zelda slots (as according to Sakurai, the number of total characters wouldn't improve much); we can half assume that no ToZ newcomer is landing with this iteration. Second, if someone had the hope of getting a skin system*, just forget it: it's not gonna happen. Third, WW Link is the third (of four) not-obvious-arrival coming from a quite recent expansion of famous saga that targets casual gaming (as every Nintendo hardcore player has already beaten WW), so we can expect that trend to be continued in next revelations. Fourth, if such a superfluous** character as TL has made his way back, should we expect Ike, Lucas, Lucario (my main, by the way), ROB and Wolf slots to remain unchanged? As abundance of newcomers can only be allowed by subsitution (according to Sakurai's words), does that mean we won't get much newcoming? Is the lack of surprise newcoming in the last months proof of that?

Don't misunderstand me, my favourite game is WW. My issue is that his return dooms good expectations for decent newcoming. I was really happy when Sakurai said that the roster wouldn't be expanded, as that would help in keeping a healthy balance, but now I wonder if the price we are paying is worth it...

I understand you, with the characters we didn't expect coming back does that mean we may lose characters we actually expected to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom